Sign in to follow this  
Sebidee

Why does the game hide everything cool from us?

I am of the opinion that changing the base game (ie across all public servers) to have no rare loot so that all players can find and test out all items is a bad idea. Loot rarity, and how it affects the greater gameplay aspects, is part of the testing process.

BUT, what I WOULD like to see is a "test mode". In this mode, which is single player only, you could spawn into a small town map, and like in the arma 2 ace mod, spawn in ANY object that is in game. Then USE said object for testing purposes. You could even spawn in zombies, or even a dummy player (equipped with any item of your choice), and experiment with different items and their effectiveness against other player items/zombies. Sort of a "test village" if you will. It could even have a pond or something so that you can experiment with fishing. Not only would this be good for testing purposes (imagine how many obscure bugs or glitches could be found by thousands of players experimenting with different things), but NOTHING teaches better than DOING. Players could learn how to do things before doing them in the actual game, learning what works and what doesn't. Because nothing sucks worse than say, searching for an item in order to do something with said item, only to find out that the item cant be used for that purpose, and you need something else (like finding out that the mosin/SKS bayonet cant be used to get meat from animals. Is still true? haven't played in a bit.). And of course, anything done in this test village would have zero impact on your actual character.

Of course, this late in the stage of development, I find it extremely unlikely that this could ever be a reality, unfortunately...

I think OP's point is being missed by most of you, I find that strange since it is the go to comeback when someone criticizes this game, the game is still in early alpha yet the features that we are here to test, Not play are being hidden thus making it hard for the devs to get an accurate idea of how things are working.

They can always alter the loot tables later during the dev process but lets look at the recent addition of the V3s as an example, when it first came to exp branch there were something like 20 spawns per server, then after very little time that update was pushed to stable and the spawn number reduced to 3, I myself have been lucky enough to find a truck on more than one occasion and I can tell you they are far from finished, they are still buggy and feel really bad to drive so instead of sorting out the spawn rate, the best idea may be to get the numbers up a bit so that they can be tested and have bugs fixed before thinking long term.

Now to counter that statement, the problem you have with increasing the spawn rates is that people start to get used to being able to find what they want, when they want so toning the numbers back down becomes problematic.

All in all I don't really see the way around this but I do agree that for the better/faster development of the game we need to have a little higher spawn chance than we would if the game was compl

• Like 2

Do you know what needs it's spawn rate upped and more spawn points added to it.

THE FREAKING SMERSH VEST

LIKE WHAT 5 PEOPLE HAVE FOUND IT TOTAL

• Like 1

Every thing cool......

Well I was a bit more turned off they took a few features away. Like the mosin rap, and painting axes as minor of bitch as that sounds. It is really a minor complaint, but I feel its a camo nerf. As of late I have had no other issues with .51 stable. My game has not been crashing, and have not seen any more bad bugs that I saw on release of this new patch. 

As far as the ghillie suit goes, well I would def like it better if the netting was not as rare. I looked around for it and still have not found a single piece. That kind of lame, but I think I know the answer. The best time to look is prob wens.....ops maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. More of the persist servers may have them. It really is just a theory. The reason they made them rare is well if example your a good player, that understands cover and concealment you could easily make your self invisible and cause allot of damage...The result would be a massive amount of QQ on the forums, which the devs prob don't want to hear lol. Thats what the devs think anyways. The cold reality is your average player that plays dayz, has no idea how to use that item to full effect. Infact I was watching some steamers earlier that were running around with G suits in the middle of electro pretty just wearing it just to wear it. When I watch streamers I think no wonder I live so long...it gives me a confidence boost, and makes me personally realise I got nothing to worry about. Not kdding. I have also seen player recently with G suits just running around not bothering to use them for what there meant for its just the truth. Most players prob will not waste any time crafting one even if it was less rare.

But cool items though......I have learned for my self, really dayz is not for the most part an easter egg hunt. There really is no "god" items if you play fairly. Infact you can get by really with a basic kit, and survive quite a long time. Infact some of the best items like to protect your avatar from direct hits, are not that hard to find so long your willing to brave the military bases. Stuff like the G helmet with visor, the high cap vest, ak style rifles, scopes, mosins and the like. To me the high cap vse and G helmet with visor is two of the best items you can get in this game for protection. Now m4 and augs? Those are rare. Same with the smersh vest....but really? I used the M4 many of time when it was not so rare...its good....but def not god like. Its not something I going to waste hours looking for...no way. If your not a good player it sure as fuck is not going to make you better having some of those items. By the way I saw the videos about the new aug.....its not really worth wasting your time looking for, I mean if you run into one or manage to kill another player who has one.....good. But to spend hours looking for....just not worth it. 

Having a good kit is nice, but its worth nothing if you don't know how to use it. So long story short, you will do much better in the game with with a good understanding of tactics and game mechanics, then just having a good kit. 

As far as the trucks go....well I can give 2 shits really. People have been dieing in them on server restarts, bugs and everything else. I wouldn't ride in one if you paid me....unless I was a fresh spawn...or really could care less if my avatar dies. 

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

If you want to try out all the new stuff they add in through the updates - you should switch to Experimental branch, there were 20 trucks per server and everyone had a ghillie for the 0.51 update

Damn, this forum is full of a**holes.

I mean, I come on to the forum for the first time in a week after playing the game to say that I'm a little annoyed that there aren't enough trucks. But it turns out that I...

• Am a COD fanboy who doesn't understand that this game is a simulator.
  • Don't know what Alpha means.
  • Should play the game instead of being on the forums.
  • Should get better at the game and shut up.
  • Am not as good as the elite players who already found 16 trucks, 10 of which were before they were even added since they are just that good.
  • Want to have everyone running around in ghillie suits.
  • Am a whiny little girl.
  • Don't know how to play the game.
  • Think having cool loot is more important than hardcore survival RP.
  • Am not smart enough for the game.
  • Should work harder at the game than my job since it's more important.
  • Should just get better and shut the f**k up.

A**holes, I swear to god.

Jesus Christ, I just want to drive a frickin' truck. How does that make me so evil?

Like, yeah, I get it. You're good at the game and want to brag about it. But that doesn't mean you have to get in a L33t circle jerk at my expense.

You know what, you're right. Lets look at the facts:

• You admit you server-hop to hoard gear, something every mature Dayz player is opposed to.
  • You want it easier to find cool gear. I.e. not search for 12 hours, this would imply that most players will have this 'cool gear'
  • "Jogging all over the map in 10 hour gaming marathons are not going to happen, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to enjoy most of the stuff the game has to offer."  I partially agree, however I can find probably 80% of that cool stuff you're talking about in what.. ? 1 hour, maybe 2.  And you are able to enjoy most off the stuff the game has to offer: gearing up, interactions with players, survive in the environment etc.
  • "Why, why, why, why, why? Why should a game ever be a chore? Games are supposed to be fun." Games are supposed to entertain, and Dayz does this in a very unique way. The brutality of the game, all that effort into gearing up can be gone in the blink of an eye. Dayz is designed to deliver entertaining value through mechanics like this, Dayz is not, I repeat, it is not designed to deliver entertainment by offering gear to the players and encourage PvP with said gear.
  • "They are very difficult to get, which is not fine. And of course I would want to get a truck"   I disagree, stuff is too easy to find at the moment. Also, I don't play a whole lot of Dayz and found a truck twice, once the server rebooted and the second time I drove it to the coast and left it there :P

The thing is, you're looking at the way the game is supposed to entertain someone very, very different then what the devs have in mind and what the game is about. I think there are tons of games out there who facilitate what you're looking for. 

The entertainment of Dayz lays in the experience, just get out there and roll with it.

On a side-note I think you're being fairly hypocritical in your complaint. :thumbsup:

Jesus Christ, I just want to drive a frickin' truck. How does that make me so evil?

EXP. Branch had them at almost every Corner. Switching over is hard work...not...

People complain about broken mechanics - "This is alpha! We're here for testing!"

People complain about item rarity - "Testing is not an excuse!"

We had like ~50 vehicles per server (regular settings) in the mod and they were quite rare with most of them being hidden in some forests, bushes, barns.

Now we have 3 trucks per server, while we're stil supposed to test those vehicles. No wonder people are confused.

• Like 1

I love how everyone is assuming that I wanted stuff to be easy to find, as if I wanted to spawn with them. People read what they want to read I guess.

I'm saying make stuff easier to find. Right now it's almost impossible to find a ghillie suit or truck or half of the other stuff they've added recently. Ghille suits require something like 5 or 6 pieces of netting that only respawn in one of 50 spawn points on the map. Only 3 trucks spawn per server in a dozen towns (which take hours to travel to), almost impossible to find.

I think that we might be experiencing the usual downsides of a gaming forum. You guys are the more hardcore fans, you might play for hours every single day. But most people, including me can only play for a couple of hours on the weekend. Jogging all over the map in 10 hour gaming marathons are not going to happen, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to enjoy most of the stuff the game has to offer.

So, you can act smug and pretend you're great because you are willing to play repetitive gameplay where half of the features are missing. But I'm not.

Yeah, the top tier stuff shouldn't be too easy to find, but they should be accessible. Right now they are almost a non feature.

This game in it's current state is obviously not for you.  I work 65 hours a week and still have time to find good stuff.  I have driven 2 v3s's.  Maybe you should just put the game away and come back when they are allowing modding so that you can find a server more to your liking.  There will be many once they allow modding I assure you that.

Edited by huf757

Knew threads like this would start popping up once things got rare.

Hopefully the devs see how people are in favor of true scarcity and do everything they can to keep it that way

Because you refuse to work for your reward and instead come to the forums to complain and suggest a change that is exactly the opposite of what is healthy to the game. When faced with criticism you ignore the arguments and declare everyone who doesn't agree with you an asshole.

You are just as evil as a little boy who wants a puppy but refuses to feed or train it.

As I allways saying its just fucking game there is no point to make stuff extremellly rare. Since tents and many new stufff in game I could not get one this is very annoying and bullshit. For example out of 100 peoples only afew bastard will get nice stuff like military tent, tent and some guns.  If majority of people wont even get those items why the fuck you adding those stuff in game this is very stupid.

As I allways saying its just fucking game there is no point to make stuff extremellly rare. Since tents and many new stufff in game I could not get one this is very annoying and bullshit. For example out of 100 peoples only afew bastard will get nice stuff like military tent, tent and some guns.  If majority of people wont even get those items why the fuck you adding those stuff in game this is very stupid.

Because that's how it works in a post-apocalyptic world. The strong survive, the weak perish. What's the point of rare items if they're not rare?

Because that's how it works in a post-apocalyptic world. The strong survive, the weak perish. What's the point of rare items if they're not rare?

You wrong its not about being strong This is all about luck. I already can survive in this game for months but problem is I dont have 7/24 time and luck to get new stuff.  Basicallly this is all about server hopping for long hours and pray for luck. I calling DayZ as " Running and server hopping simulator". Im very glad to see someone realize that and open this topic.

This wont work like that. I think Devs thinking if they make extremelly rare items everybody will spend playing this gamer to just find those items. The stupid thing is even if you search item for whole day or week %80 chance you wont find anything. I cant see anything related with being strong. If they can fix this rarity shit this game can be great but if they continue to hide most of cool stuff they can see this game will be forgotten in some year.

Edited by BugZ

You wrong its not about being strong This is all about luck. I already can survive in this game for months but problem is I dont have 7/24 time and luck to get new stuff.  Basicallly this is all about server hopping for long hours and pray for luck. I calling DayZ as " Running and server hopping simulator". Im very glad to see someone realize that and open this topic.

That's only because you set yourself some very silly limits. Again, if your experience depends entirely on the acquisition of some rare items, then you're playing the wrong game. Go back to playing the mod, and accept that the standalone is not supposed to be the same game.

Rare items are a pain but so fun to go hunting for. First trucks are not hard to find, my suggestion is stick with 3 main servers you like and that have a balance amount of people in it so you won't get bored. Learn these servers, the restart times, the players, clans locations of popularity. Than when you have all the info you need, use it to your advantage, Don't hop into a server when it restarted like 2 to 3 hours ago, the trucks are most likely gone. What I like to do is say hey I'm going to make my way towards the NWAF and depending where I spawn I'll plan a trip where I pass through as much cities that spawn trucks as I can. I've found a lot of trucks but just so everyone knows trucks are super glitchy and figity. I've died probably 5 times out of the 20 or so times I've had a truck. Also right now I'd say they're not really worth the hassle.

Edit: And if you think everyone around you is an asshole, that's usually a sign that you're the asshole.

Not everyone, there's only a couple of assholes. Guess who I'm talking about.

Is there really only three spawns?  I've heard this but wasn't sure if it was fact.  Every time I've played DayZ in the last week, myself or a friend of mine has found a Truck, and we've had multiple trucks as well.  I just assumed there was more than three by how easy it was to find them.

Luck, incredible luck.

I think OP's point is being missed by most of you, I find that strange since it is the go to comeback when someone criticizes this game, the game is still in early alpha yet the features that we are here to test, Not play are being hidden thus making it hard for the devs to get an accurate idea of how things are working.

YES! That was one of my points. How can we test things when we can't find them? We could end up having things that people don't like in the release.

You know what, you're right. Lets look at the facts:

• You admit you server-hop to hoard gear, something every mature Dayz player is opposed to.

I only server hopped in an attempt to find particular stuff and test them. When I'm just playing I don't do that. But sure, make all the assumptions you want. People are reading want they want to read I guess.

EXP. Branch had them at almost every Corner. Switching over is hard work...not...

HAD being the most important word there.

People complain about broken mechanics - "This is alpha! We're here for testing!"

People complain about item rarity - "Testing is not an excuse!"

It's almost as if commenting on the game (when the devs encourage us to do so) is not allowed.

This game in it's current state is obviously not for you.  I work 65 hours a week and still have time to find good stuff.  I have driven 2 v3s's.  Maybe you should just put the game away and come back when they are allowing modding so that you can find a server more to your liking.  There will be many once they allow modding I assure you that.

No I'm fine with the fact that it's in Alpha. I don't mind bugs or broken mechanics. However, very low spawn rates is not a bug, it's a design decision.

You are just as evil as a little boy who wants a puppy but refuses to feed or train it.

Mate, you need to learn to read. I said in my OP that I was looking for the stuff for hours, I think I actually played for about 5 hours non stop. My puppy is well trained.

• Like 2

I think that there will be more vehicles in the final release. The truck is only one of them, there will be plenty of cars and jeeps too. When they are around more then all of you hardcore survivalists here will be complaining (and I'll be there to to tell you to stop being a bitch).

However, I think that the devs have added only a few trucks right now because they are all of the TRUCKS that will be there on release. The other vehicles will be added along side them to bring up the total numbers.

My problem with that though is that right now the vehicles are not simulating what they will be like at release, which is what we are supposed to be testing. So why not put more trucks in in place of the other planned vehicles? Then they can replace them as they make the models for the new vehicles.

We need to know what the game and the vehicle situation will be like on release, so add more (maybe like they were in experimental). Then we can test them and the devs can get their feedback. Simple.

That's what they have been doing with guns the whole time. At the start there were tons of mosins and M4s, now there are less since they have been replaced by other guns. The total numbers of guns on servers has not decreased, but the numbers of certain kinds of guns has. Why not do the same for vehicles?

Edited by Sebidee

Dude we get it, your trying to drive the truck. But if you do any research at all, the developers have said that with this patch they wanted to see how people would get to these three trucks, which spawned a lot of groups to get together again in dayz. My own group came back and let me say we had a blast looking for these things and I ll tell you right now I wouldn't had it any other way. I heard experimental was full of trucks, I think it was every location that could spawn a truck did. So if your purely trying to "test" these things than maybe you should hop on that experimental ban wagon,

Dude we get it, your trying to drive the truck. But if you do any research at all, the developers have said that with this patch they wanted to see how people would get to these three trucks, which spawned a lot of groups to get together again in dayz. My own group came back and let me say we had a blast looking for these things and I ll tell you right now I wouldn't had it any other way. I heard experimental was full of trucks, I think it was every location that could spawn a truck did. So if your purely trying to "test" these things than maybe you should hop on that experimental ban wagon,

When they add more vehicles, they will also become a LOT more difficult to operate. Good luck getting your car rolling when you need to find the engine block or a steering wheel, and then carry it all the way back before having to get the gas to start the engine. And how do you even know how vehicles will be when the game is released? Not even the devs fully know that. That is why we're testing them first.

You also seem to be under the impression that testing means everyone should just have a go. That's not how testing works. Enough people are finding vehicles that there is plenty of feedback on them already. And the game is not rigged against anyone, everyone has a fair chance. And if you want to improve your odds, go play experimental. Assuming you don't die from starvation, newly added items are more abundant.   

Because you refuse to work for your reward and instead come to the forums to complain and suggest a change that is exactly the opposite of what is healthy to the game. When faced with criticism you ignore the arguments and declare everyone who doesn't agree with you an asshole.

You are just as evil as a little2 boy who wants a puppy but refuses to feed or train it.

Man, that come out really wrong. Really, really wrong.

While I agree that server-hopping and generally exploiting the game just for the lulz/laziness is really a bad choice that influence negatively also other players, I really can't stand the armchair pro-gamer attitude a lot of the community is displaying with increasing frequence.

"Do you homework and learn how to play"

"Sweat for your rewards"

"Work if you want top-tier items"

"Earn what you want to acquire"

Guys, that is right if we're talking about real-life issues. But this is a GAME. It's supposed to be a recreational activity - AKA time employed in a pleasurable manner as a diversion from more pressing and important issues. The line between "not making the game too easy/casual" and "creating a frustratingly realistic survival simulator" is not really thin or blurred. I'm all for a reasonably hard-to-master game but, seriously, there's way too many people who skip the "reasonable" part and dive feet first in the over the top requests...let's stop this elitist vibe as soon as possible. With less people involved it would be comedic...with so many playing keyboard rambo it's worrying.

Edited by DocWolf

This dude needs to get his facts straight, this isn't a game it's a simulator lol. But seriously it's a very very difficult game, which I and many others enjoy for that particular reason. FYI my fun is not the same as your fun

Well this is very odd...

Once you gave up on the netting to look for guns, netting is what you should have found! Once you looked for the truck, guns should have been everywhere.

Somebody needs to call the devs - NOW!

Damn, this forum is full of a**holes.

A**holes, I swear to god.

But that doesn't mean you have to get in a L33t circle jerk at my expense.

You haven't really been overly nice yourself. In your opening post you admitted to abusing the mechanics and serverhopping and continue to blame the game for not finding what you want. Hardly anyone will take your seriously after this. I am not blaming you, I am merely pointing out as to why the people reacted the way they did. You tried acquiring something that is hard to get illegitimately by abusing the system and after it didn't work you came here and blame the game-mechanics.

It is supposed to be hard, it's survival, it's called game-mechanics. At this point in time it may even be easier than in the finished game, due to the global loot distribution. Dean himself said his aim was to create an Anti Game. If you don't want that, it's not the game's fault. You can't cater 100% of the playerbase. It's simply impossible, due to the nature of mankind.

As far as this topic goes: it's run its course. Expect to get a backlash if you're abusing the game and then complain about not succeeding.

Also: World of Warcraft-Mounts, anyone? Only able to be acquired once a week with a droprate of 0.1% dropchance.

• Like 3