Sign in to follow this  
Sebidee

Why does the game hide everything cool from us?

Nonsense. You shouldn't have to play hours and hours and hours of boring gameplay just to get something cool for a couple of minutes. That's not a good game. You can take pride and consider yourself an elite player if you can do that but it's not a good thing.

I have to disagree. That DOES make a good game when it comes to DayZ. While finding individual cool things should not be extremely hard, having and holding many of the cool items of the game should certainly take time and effort. If you could be fully kitted within minutes, or even a few hours, what's the point of gearing up and surviving to begin with? If everything's just given to you, we'd have kitted guys with vehicles all over the place carelessly PVP'ing. Part of the fear of death lies with the rarity of high value items.

You say that you have to play "hours and hours of boring gameplay just to get something cool". If you're playing to get cool things, you're doing it wrong - and of course it will be boring. Play for the survival, interaction, and hairy situations that DayZ throws you into - not for the loot. If you survive these experiences, chances are you'll come across some of the cooler items in the game and have a good time in the process. This of course has it's limits when you consider the current status of DayZ, but I find I have the most fun when I try to encompass myself in the game and play for the experience. I don't pay much attention to new items as they're added to the game and thus don't usually search for them specifically, but I'm always happy when I find them as I play! :)

All being said, it's of course a WIP and loot, along with the central economy, will be ironed out in the next few months. And to some extent - you're absolutely right. Certain items you'll likely never find, but I think the problem lies more with server hoppers and an unfinished loot economy rather then the intentions of the DEVs.

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 1

The only MMO I ever played, WOW, made you work waaaaay harder to obtain the top tier gear. We're talking days upon days running the same, several hour encounter repeatedly.

Dayz is generous enough to not force us to find the top tier gear to play the game enjoyably. If you want to farm gear, try a different game. Don't expect us, or the developers, to cowtow to your needs.

• Like 1

This game is not about what you want to do, but what you HAVE to do.

If you want to catch and eat a fish, but do no have the tools then don't do it, survive other ways...You must do what you can to survive, you cannot expect to be handed everything you need.

• Like 1

I was thinking today that I never ever get to experience all of the cool updates that Day Z adds myself.

I was playing with my buddy and we decided we'd try out some of the new features. He really wanted to make a gillie suit so we went to Balota/Kamarovo to find some netting in the boats. Nope, none there. We hopped around a couple of servers to see if we could find more but again, no dice.

We decided to forget it. We'd go to Balota airfield and find some really cool military gear and guns that they added in the last patch. Unfortunately, we found nothing. We again jumped around a few servers but the best thing we found was an old pistol without ammo or a magazine. AKA, a useless weapon.

So we said forget guns!! There's only one thing that people are talking about with the new patch, the truck! We looked up the spawn locations and knowing that we probably wouldn't find a truck in the first town we visited we instead planned a trek across the entire map which would bring us through most of the central towns. We spent hours running across the map, switching servers in each town. We didn't find a truck.

So, why does Day Z hide everything away from us? No matter how hard I try I can't find any of the things added in the new patches. I've never seen a crashed helicopter, or an AK47. or a ghillie suit, or grenades, or trucks. I've seen and killed some animals but I never got to eat their meat because for some reason knives are absurdly rare in the game. I've never used a bow and arrow or a crossbow. I have managed to go fishing but only because I was INCREDIBLY lucky and found all the parts needed to fish (unfortunately I couldn't eat the fish because I didn't have a frickin' knife).

I understand that the game is in alpha, but aren't we supposed to be testing the game? How are we supposed to test features and items when they are made ultra rare? I've pretty much gotten sick of hiking all over the map in search of stuff I'll never find, while having to eat and fight zombies which only makes it take longer. I don't like to server hop since the timer makes it take ages. So instead of playing the game to test out new features I instead look up a showcase on youtube. I've seen pretty much everything in those videos and enjoyed them greatly, which basically means that Day z is one of the few games that are actually more fun to watch than play.

I'm going to make a bold claim and say that my Day Z experience has only marginally changed since I first got it 9 months ago. I still spent hours running from place to place. I only eat canned food since fishing, hunting and cooking is just too much hastle. The only guns I use are the ones that have been around for ages, the Mosin, revolver or if I'm lucky the M4. The biggest change is probably in clothing, but more often than not I find myself wearing the same things. I find it hard to get excited about new features being added with patches since I know that in all likelihood I will never get to experience them.

So, can we please, please, please, please see more of all the cool things the game already has so that everyone can enjoy them rather than only those who are lucky or instead have an unhealthhy amount of spare time?

Dont know what game you are playing. Maby if you just search one server instead of server hopping you would have better luck. Remember everyone that is to immature to actually work for their loot has the same idea you do, hop servers in the areas likely to spawn weapons. 

I'm glad the ghilly suit is hard to assemble. It is done very very well in this game and provides a huge tactical advantage to snipers. I don't want 100 people to have them.

Sounds like you need to play arma or wait tell 'spawn with high loot 24-7 daylight high loot loot loot free vehicle' modded servers. if you dont like whats going on. This is a survival game, it is not a fps/tacticool game. You do not need the objects you desire to enjoy this game. You need them to make the game more like a FPS deathmatch. This is not that. 

You guys need to STAY OFF persistent servers until they are fixed. Allot of the times i will find nothing on them to. You need to go to servers that have this off to find allot of the items you need.

There is nothing wrong with persistent servers. The problem is 200 people only go to the airfield or the coast expecting that the other 199 havent picked it clean. There is MASSIVE amounts of loot in the central and western towns because it re-spawns there and no one is exploring. People are just lazy.

Edited by Judopunch
  • Like 1

There is nothing wrong with persistent servers. The problem is 200 people only go to the airfield or the coast expecting that the other 199 havent picked it clean. There is MASSIVE amounts of loot in the central and western towns because it re-spawns there and no one is exploring. People are just lazy.

No the issue is just not on the coast iv traveled to allot of the western areas on persistent to find hardly anything of value as well. Finding an AK magazine on persistent is more of a chore than it should be.

I think what annoys me most are those people who think the game is about having cool stuff and are not ashamed to use exploits to get them and moan at the forums about not finding anything despite this.

Cool stuff is rare because its basically the reward for surviving a long time while still taking risks. Cool stuff is not required to enjoy the game. You cannot expect to be rewarded for little effort.

Though I found it funny that you did not manage to find any weapon because you hopped servers. Why? Because the likes of you always hop in the same locations picking them clean while normal players find weapons, ammo etc. on their way through Chernarus.

I like you. You make a good point.

Every single complaint thread about not finding those phat uber loot-z just pisses my bridges. Why don't the mods ever close those down?

And to the OP, if the cool stuff was easy to find, wouldn't that defeat the point?

• Like 1

No the issue is just not on the coast iv traveled to allot of the western areas on persistent to find hardly anything of value as well. Finding an AK magazine on persistent is more of a chore than it should be.

It should be a chore. This isn't Battle of Duty: Call of Honor. 

Think of it in terms of Lore. How high of a population did South Zagoria have before the SHTF?  Let us aim low, and say that 100,000 people lived in South Zagoria. If 50% became infected, and 40% of the survivors died off due to infighting, fighting the zeds, logistical issues, etc, that still leaves 10,000 people. And even if the infection rate was higher, there were still THOUSANDS of people looting, what, 3 "major" (in terms of the region. I have a National Guard base in my state that is little more than a depot and a Coast Guard pit stop, and it is larger than Cherno and Elektro combined.) military bases? Just how many AK's do you think were at those comparatively small bases, with respective armory sizes?

Even with a server size of 50 people, we are the bare-bones, the idiots that stayed behind. Everyone else either looted up and left for greener pastures, or died (probably in the woods, where their gear is unlikely to be found).

You are not "obligated", or do you "need", to have AK magazines. That is "high end" stuff, that you should work your ass off for. It most certainly be a "chore".

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 3

I have never had any issues concerning to loot on persisten servers. They're just fine (as fine as something related to DayZ can be)

I love how everyone is assuming that I wanted stuff to be easy to find, as if I wanted to spawn with them. People read what they want to read I guess.

I'm saying make stuff easier to find. Right now it's almost impossible to find a ghillie suit or truck or half of the other stuff they've added recently. Ghille suits require something like 5 or 6 pieces of netting that only respawn in one of 50 spawn points on the map. Only 3 trucks spawn per server in a dozen towns (which take hours to travel to), almost impossible to find.

I think that we might be experiencing the usual downsides of a gaming forum. You guys are the more hardcore fans, you might play for hours every single day. But most people, including me can only play for a couple of hours on the weekend. Jogging all over the map in 10 hour gaming marathons are not going to happen, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to enjoy most of the stuff the game has to offer.

So, you can act smug and pretend you're great because you are willing to play repetitive gameplay where half of the features are missing. But I'm not.

Yeah, the top tier stuff shouldn't be too easy to find, but they should be accessible. Right now they are almost a non feature.

Why, why, why, why, why?

Why should a game ever be a chore? Games are supposed to be fun.

Edited by Sebidee

I love how everyone is assuming that I wanted stuff to be easy to find, as if I wanted to spawn with them. People read what they want to read I guess.

I'm saying make stuff easier to find. Right now it's almost impossible to find a ghillie suit or truck or half of the other stuff they've added recently. Ghille suits require something like 5 or 6 pieces of netting that only respawn in one of 50 spawn points on the map. Only 3 trucks spawn per server in a dozen towns (which take hours to travel to), almost impossible to find.

I think that we might be experiencing the usual downsides of a gaming forum. You guys are the more hardcore fans, you might play for hours every single day. But most people, including me can only play for a couple of hours on the weekend. Jogging all over the map in 10 hour gaming marathons are not going to happen, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to enjoy most of the stuff the game has to offer.

So, you can act smug and pretend you're great because you are willing to play repetitive gameplay where half of the features are missing. But I'm not.

Yeah, the top tier stuff shouldn't be too easy to find, but they should be accessible. Right now they are almost a non feature.

Why, why, why, why, why?

I wouldn't worry about it. If you keep playing, you'll find a truck eventually. Or some other vehicle when they start expanding on that sooner or later. Same with high-end guns. If you go to military places often enough, you'll find them eventually.

In order for the game to allow everyone to find everythingevery time they played, it would seriously detract from the overall balance of gameplay. If you want to play around with the latest update features, opt into the Experimental builds.

• Like 1

Why, why, why, why, why?

Games are also not supposed to cater to everyone. If you're not having fun, that doesn't automatically mean the game sucks. It just means it's not the game for you, perhaps. 

And yes, top tier stuff should be accessible. It is accessible. It should not, however, be accessible to all. People with kitted M4s and ghillie suits driving around in trucks need to be the exception, not the norm.

• Like 2

And yes, top tier stuff should be accessible. It is accessible. It should not, however, be accessible to all. People with kitted M4s and ghillie suits driving around in trucks need to be the exception, not the norm.

*Sigh* not what I said mate. You're exaggerating.

In order for the game to allow everyone to find everythingevery time they played, it would seriously detract from the overall balance of gameplay.

Not what I said either! Jeez guys, come on.

I'll try again:

I do not want top tier stuff to be so easy to find that you practically spawn with them. I simply want them to be easier to find than they are right now, right now they are almost impossible to get.

Why is it that the only things you can comprehend is either A - Everything you want can be found in 5 minutes or B - You need about 12 hours of gameplay to get anything worthwhile? There's plenty of things in between.

Edited by Sebidee

*Sigh* not what I said mate. You're exaggerating.

Not what I said either! Jeez guys, come on.

I'll try again:

I do not want top tier stuff to be so easy to find that you practically spawn with them. I simply want them to be easier to find than they are right now, right now they are almost impossible to get.

No, they're not. They're just difficult to get, which is just fine. You're just not willing to put the same effort in as everyone else.

Here's a pro tip: If you're looking for fancy gear, go to the NWAF or a military base, or one of the PvP cities. If you can't find it on the floor, you can find it on a dead guy, most likely.

And what's your obsession with top tier equipment anyway? None of my gear is top tier except maybe the Gorka jacket, for the rest I've got civilian weapons and gear, and I'm doing just fine. 

I've found many trucks ever since they were added.  They are relatively easy to find at the moment, if you're unable to find them you're doing something wrong.  As far as Ghillies, I've never even bothered looking for netting, if I come across it I'll try it out.

To be honest, and I'm sure I speak for many, you sound very whiny.  Just keep playing and searching if you want them, coming onto the forums and whining about it is not going to change a thing.  Use the forum as a tool to learn how to retrieve said items.

A tip to find a truck right now...  They are NOT persistent, look for a server that has just restarted recently and search the areas they spawn.  DONE.

Edited by MuchHigher

No, they're not. They're just difficult to get, which is just fine. You're just not willing to put the same effort in as everyone else.

Here's a pro tip: If you're looking for fancy gear, go to the NWAF or a military base, or one of the PvP cities. If you can't find it on the floor, you can find it on a dead guy, most likely.

And what's your obsession with top tier equipment anyway? None of my gear is top tier except maybe the Gorka jacket, for the rest I've got civilian weapons and gear, and I'm doing just fine. 

They are very difficult to get, which is not fine. And of course I would want to get a truck, why would I not want to get the stuff they've been adding? I've been playing 9 months with the same old gear - need to change things up a bit.

To be honest, and I'm sure I speak for many, you sound very whiny.  Just keep playing and searching if you want them, coming onto the forums and whining about it is not going to change a thing.  Use the forum as a tool to learn how to retrieve said items.

Oh come on mate, grow up a bit. I'm saying that spawns need to increase, that's not whining it is literally the purpose of the forums.

Edited by Sebidee

They are very difficult to get, which is not fine. And of course I would want to get a truck, why would I not want to get the stuff they've been adding? I've been playing 9 months with the same old gear - need to change things up a bit.

Maybe not in your book. It's fine in mine. I already run into far too many truckin' tacticoolboys to my liking. And if you've had the same gear for 9 months, the problem is definitely on the client side.

• Like 2

This thread is making major progress towards development of the game.  Honestly, this guys just going to argue with anyone who does not have his perspective.

I bet you could find the truck and netting if you played the game instead of posting in your thread over and over and over again.

• Like 1

Oh come on mate, grow up a bit. I'm saying that spawns need to increase, that's not whining it is literally the purpose of the forums.

Spawns will increase for vehicles down the line. They are hard to find now, I agree - I've never found one yet either.

But again, if you want to play with the latest features, opt into Experimental, where the new additions are usually much more common.

• Like 1

I'm saying make stuff easier to find.

Yes, that's what you are saying and thats what we understood. But we disagree - you should find stuff but not too much (you should worry about surviving, getting supplies) and mostly the basic stuff. More specialized and military loot should be extremely rare. in general good items should not be a given but rather a big reward.

You guys are the more hardcore fans, you might play for hours every single day.

You misunderstood the game concept. To repeat it again: This game is not about having and using the cool stuff. You do not need those items to have fun and enjoy most of the stuff the game has to offer. They are additional rewards for getting further than you normally would.

Another central concept is nothing being forever. It does not matter whether you play a few hours every two or three weekends or hours every day because at some point you will die and lose all your progress. So its perfectly possible that a player who plays ten hours per day never ever "beats" the "early game" while another one who only plays about four hours per month gets his survivor into "endgame" and is one of the few who gets to taste it.

And its perfectly fine if certain playstyles get to enjoy different parts of the game. You cannot and should not expect to get to experience every possible aspcet of a multiplayer open world game, especially if you only play sparingly. If you could the game would lack options and depth making it much less enjoyable for everyone.

Stop playing and come back when development has progressed. You did realize this is an Alpha? Also we already had this: Yes, gameplay is lacking many features which results in "running simulator". But - to repeat another point again - this is not solved by making rewards more common and thus less rewarding. Instead the actual "early game" gameplay needs to be improved. This is not done by also making "mid game" as easy and unrewarding. in fact thats exactly the opposite of what should happen. 

Challenge is fun. Getting rewards for little effort is unrewarding and not fun at all. I hate it to find everything I need within 10 minutes after repawning because it takes away from the actual experience of playing a survival game.

Other than that you can play the game the way you like - you do not need top equipment to enjoy yourself. But if your only goal is getting top equipment the game becomes a chore - because you wanted it to be one.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 5

This thread is making major progress towards development of the game.  Honestly, this guys just going to argue with anyone who does not have his perspective.

I bet you could find the truck and netting if you played the game instead of posting in your thread over and over and over again.

I have about 8-10 active members of my clan. A couple of days ago, we spread out in an effort to find a truck.

We found all three, and had a blast forming a convoy that we drove around the entire map, until the server restart.

Want a vehicle, especially at this stage of the game, when ever clan and their mother is searching for one? Join a clan. Research the spawn points. WORK FOR YOUR FUN, rather than bitching and moaning because you can't find it by yourself, or don't want to devote time and effort for it.

I work, often early in the mornings, which limits how often I can play with my friends (who are usually free late nights/early mornings). Do I complain because I can't PvP, and get "good gear" (Note: I HATE using assault rifles in-game, because they are so unrealistic it isn't even funny. I've killed more people with the Blaze than with the M4). Nope, I play by myself, and loot up until I can join them on their level. I don't run to the forums to bitch about how limited certain pieces of equipment are, and how it should be easier to find/get/have/make/whatever point you are trying to make.

WORK.FOR.YOUR.FUN.

• Like 3

Think of it in terms of Lore. How high of a population did South Zagoria have before the SHTF?  Let us aim low, and say that 100,000 people lived in South Zagoria. If 50% became infected, and 40% of the survivors died off due to infighting, fighting the zeds, logistical issues, etc, that still leaves 10,000 people. And even if the infection rate was higher, there were still THOUSANDS of people looting, what, 3 "major" (in terms of the region. I have a National Guard base in my state that is little more than a depot and a Coast Guard pit stop, and it is larger than Cherno and Elektro combined.) military bases? Just how many AK's do you think were at those comparatively small bases, with respective armory sizes?

Even with a server size of 50 people, we are the bare-bones, the idiots that stayed behind. Everyone else either looted up and left for greener pastures, or died (probably in the woods, where their gear is unlikely to be found).

You are not "obligated", or do you "need", to have AK magazines. That is "high end" stuff, that you should work your ass off for. It most certainly be a "chore".

And this is something most people do not understand. They think the primary goal of this game is to collect military loot and kill people.

The primary goal of this game is going to be survival. Survive starvation, the environment, zombies, and THEN other players. But right now there is no challenge from the primary focus of the game, so players acquire weapons (far far to easily) and deathmatch. Collecting high end military loot should be difficult and rare. It will be a tertiary priority, with getting enough clean (ya clean water, not just from the pond thats going to make you sick) and food as your first, with surviving the environment being your second.

When survival becomes more difficult you will see a lot more threads like these and a lot of starving freezing people who want it some other way.

Yet again, if you want your ak mags either go play arma or wait tell the 'loot loot 24-7 day spawn with vehicle and gun' servers come up after release. Enjoy your crappy watered down experience, you may as well just be playing arma at that point.

• Like 1

Damn, this forum is full of a**holes.

I mean, I come on to the forum for the first time in a week after playing the game to say that I'm a little annoyed that there aren't enough trucks. But it turns out that I...

• Am a COD fanboy who doesn't understand that this game is a simulator.
  • Don't know what Alpha means.
  • Should play the game instead of being on the forums.
  • Should get better at the game and shut up.
  • Am not as good as the elite players who already found 16 trucks, 10 of which were before they were even added since they are just that good.
  • Want to have everyone running around in ghillie suits.
  • Am a whiny little girl.
  • Don't know how to play the game.
  • Think having cool loot is more important than hardcore survival RP.
  • Am not smart enough for the game.
  • Should work harder at the game than my job since it's more important.
  • Should just get better and shut the f**k up.

A**holes, I swear to god.

Jesus Christ, I just want to drive a frickin' truck. How does that make me so evil?

Like, yeah, I get it. You're good at the game and want to brag about it. But that doesn't mean you have to get in a L33t circle jerk at my expense.

Edited by Sebidee
  • Like 4

We all want to drive a frickin' truck. Stop being a baby about it, get stuck in there, and find one. And if you don't have the chops, someone else does.

Everything you want can be found in abundance in the DayZ mod or one of its variation. Go play that. The Standalone is an entirely different game. You think trucks are hard to come by now? Wait until you need to find parts to get one to start. 

Edit: And if you think everyone around you is an asshole, that's usually a sign that you're the asshole.

Edited by Sacha
  • Like 2

I have about 8-10 active members of my clan. A couple of days ago, we spread out in an effort to find a truck.

We found all three, and had a blast forming a convoy that we drove around the entire map, until the server restart.

Is there really only three spawns?  I've heard this but wasn't sure if it was fact.  Every time I've played DayZ in the last week, myself or a friend of mine has found a Truck, and we've had multiple trucks as well.  I just assumed there was more than three by how easy it was to find them.

Is there really only three spawns?  I've heard this but wasn't sure if it was fact.  Every time I've played DayZ in the last week, myself or a friend of mine has found a Truck, and we've had multiple trucks as well.  I just assumed there was more than three by how easy it was to find them.

I've both heard and read there were only three spawns. We found three and stopped searching.