Sign in to follow this  
Sebidee

Why does the game hide everything cool from us?

I was thinking today that I never ever get to experience all of the cool updates that Day Z adds myself.

I was playing with my buddy and we decided we'd try out some of the new features. He really wanted to make a gillie suit so we went to Balota/Kamarovo to find some netting in the boats. Nope, none there. We hopped around a couple of servers to see if we could find more but again, no dice.

We decided to forget it. We'd go to Balota airfield and find some really cool military gear and guns that they added in the last patch. Unfortunately, we found nothing. We again jumped around a few servers but the best thing we found was an old pistol without ammo or a magazine. AKA, a useless weapon.

So we said forget guns!! There's only one thing that people are talking about with the new patch, the truck! We looked up the spawn locations and knowing that we probably wouldn't find a truck in the first town we visited we instead planned a trek across the entire map which would bring us through most of the central towns. We spent hours running across the map, switching servers in each town. We didn't find a truck.

So, why does Day Z hide everything away from us? No matter how hard I try I can't find any of the things added in the new patches. I've never seen a crashed helicopter, or an AK47. or a ghillie suit, or grenades, or trucks. I've seen and killed some animals but I never got to eat their meat because for some reason knives are absurdly rare in the game. I've never used a bow and arrow or a crossbow. I have managed to go fishing but only because I was INCREDIBLY lucky and found all the parts needed to fish (unfortunately I couldn't eat the fish because I didn't have a frickin' knife).

I understand that the game is in alpha, but aren't we supposed to be testing the game? How are we supposed to test features and items when they are made ultra rare? I've pretty much gotten sick of hiking all over the map in search of stuff I'll never find, while having to eat and fight zombies which only makes it take longer. I don't like to server hop since the timer makes it take ages. So instead of playing the game to test out new features I instead look up a showcase on youtube. I've seen pretty much everything in those videos and enjoyed them greatly, which basically means that Day z is one of the few games that are actually more fun to watch than play.

I'm going to make a bold claim and say that my Day Z experience has only marginally changed since I first got it 9 months ago. I still spent hours running from place to place. I only eat canned food since fishing, hunting and cooking is just too much hastle. The only guns I use are the ones that have been around for ages, the Mosin, revolver or if I'm lucky the M4. The biggest change is probably in clothing, but more often than not I find myself wearing the same things. I find it hard to get excited about new features being added with patches since I know that in all likelihood I will never get to experience them.

So, can we please, please, please, please see more of all the cool things the game already has so that everyone can enjoy them rather than only those who are lucky or instead have an unhealthhy amount of spare time?

• Like 8

Watch videos where people find them? honestly expecting to find a specific item rarely ends well, just play and if you run into something, bonus - I really dont see them upping the numbers just so everyone can experience them - however I have run into many servers where all the lewt is backed up and you have a choice of just about anything ( several times in zeleno ) maybe try going there?

• Like 1

Good point! I also trekked everywhere this week looking for a truck. I tried empty servers, full servers, and a ton of different cities. I have been luckier with the new weapons tho. I do usually end up with a mosin, SKS, and some sort of pistol with 1 round chambered.

I have also found that the amount of time it takes to find something enjoyable and new is not worth it.

Cooking meat is also lame. You just put it in a campfire and...wait...then its like boom, goddam that was fun...you eat the meat then senselessly wander until you are bored again.

I found the best way to find anything in Dayz is to not look for it, i.e you need a mag for a pistol? good luck finding the right one. But aimlessly wander the countryside with no real goal, and guess what? you stumble across the rarest of rare loot (quite often on corpses). I used to server hop when I first started playing the game, now I just find the one with the best ping and go for a stroll.

That's life i'm afraid.

I wouldn't mind trying out some cool stuff - Scarlett Johansson and a Ferrari spring to mind - but i'm not sure of my chances.

• Like 12

I've seen and killed some animals but I never got to eat their meat because for some reason knives are absurdly rare in the game. I've never used a bow and arrow or a crossbow. I have managed to go fishing but only because I was INCREDIBLY lucky and found all the parts needed to fish (unfortunately I couldn't eat the fish because I didn't have a frickin' knife).

Machetes do the job of hunting knives, and are common as dog muck. Finding parts for a fishing rod is not that difficult, either. Hooks are slightly rarer, but I've never had much trouble finding them, even when sticking to smaller towns - try looting every last house, outbuilding and shed systematically. Likewise, the materials for crafting bows and arrows are pretty easy to come by.

Pistol magazines, I agree, are absurdly rare. You have to spend more time in police stations and military areas to get these, which carries more risk.

In general, I think the spawn chances should be altered so that anything can, in theory, spawn anywhere (except for loot reserved for dynamic vehicles spawns). There should be a higher % chance of military kit spawning at military locations and civilian kit spawning in houses, etc, but should always be a very slight possibility that any spawn point will generate any item. That way, you wouldn't be able to get used to which buildings definitely will and definitely won't spawn certain items, thereby making the game more dynamic and interesting.

That's life i'm afraid.

I wouldn't mind trying out some cool stuff - Scarlett Johansson and a Ferrari spring to mind - but i'm not sure of my chances.

We think very much alike. :D

• Like 1

I agree with the idea of just playing cause it's fun. If you run into new stuff or stuff you haven't found, it's just going to be even more of a surprise when you do find them. It was only recently that I found my first AK. :)

I think not finding everything cool within one playing session is a good thing. I hope that when DayZ is in a more advanced stage, they drastically reduce loot spawns, from food and clothing to weapons and equipment. Survival should be a struggle. Your main problem should be "Where am I going to find my next meal", not "I've been walking for hours and STILL no heli crash!"

• Like 3

I'll admit Dayz can be frustrating especially when you're trying to find a few specific items. Most of the fun I've had in Dayz comes from the journey and the people I encounter, good or bad.

Finding guns in Dayz is easy at the moment but if you're looking for an m4, any AK variant you may need to check several military barracks or if you're lucky enough to find chopper crashes. You may need to check different servers as well, I tend to find more on servers with persistence off but persistence on servers have good loot, you just have to search a bit harder.

Yes, trekking across the map on foot can be boring but when vehicles get moved to stable build things will get easier. Keep at it, the videos you're watching can be helpful to nail down where things spawn but don't expect these things to be there waiting for you. Server hoppers and other players may have beat you to the things you're looking for and by all means pick up that useless gun because once you pass it up, you'll find a magazine or ammo for said gun and then you'll have to backtrack and waste time.....or at least that's my experience

Don't hop for a truck at each town....that's decreacing your odds me thinks. If you check a site on one servr and its empty the chance at the next site will go up a bit as theres less left to check total. If you check 1 site per server chances are always gonna be the same because you haven't actually cleared the other sites in that server....example you check town A swap server and check town B swap and check C....you never checked A in the server your now in and the truck could have spawned there, basically when you swap you reset your chances because the sites behind you haven't been cleared so become poss spawns again :)

Maybe try different goals like lets try and get to X location and see whats there, then just take whatever gear you find along the way. A goal like getting somewhere rather than trying for one of best items ingame is much more achievable so you wont get frustrated and feel like your failing. But disappointment and dayz go together , wait till vehicles persist and every span is empty because they are all hidden by players....maybe keeping the numbers low is preparing us for that :)

• Like 2

I totally understand the frustrastion, man. However, making certain items rare makes the thrill of looting gear that much more fun. Upon purchasing the game back in June, I was disappointed in the rarity of many items that I thought should have been more common. As I play more I realize that keeping on the move and venturing from town to town is the best way in which to locate rare items. When you do happen to come across a 1st tier weapon (akm,m4, mosin, etc) it feels awesome and  there is a real sense of accomplishment. Once you have a weapon, finding ammo/attachments and magazines for these weapons feels just as good, despite the scarcity of them on the map. Also, try not to server hop as much. traversing the map may be time consuming, but it certainly has its perks.

I feel your frustration. Me and my friend were looking four hours yesterday after a truck but we never found one. We even serverhopped a few times. I think's it's just ridiculous that there are only 3 trucks in every server...

On the other hand I think that it's extremely easy to find a Mosin nowadays. I find one at least every session, always ammo nearby. 

Edited by TheGoodGuy

:) Your story of serverhopping with the goal of finding certain items with no success enjoyed me.

Don't server hop, don't focus on one single item and get frustrated for not finding it. Play the game, enjoy the experience.

• Like 3

:) Your story of serverhopping with the goal of finding certain items with no success enjoyed me.

Don't server hop, don't focus on one single item and get frustrated for not finding it. Play the game, enjoy the experience.

This! I have a vid rendering atm (don't watch it! I mention purely because I cover this exact thing, not a plug) discussing the amount of Ghillie sqauds there are out there and another YT vid I watched that actually advised server hopping to find netting.

If you play on high pop servers, sooner or later someone who cant shoot straight will try shooting at you with an AK or M4 etc and then you can take theirs. Roam around the West of the map visiting the military spawns and you will find AKs and may even find heli crash sites too. Do it on full servers and the game is massively enjoyable with a chance of finding what you want.... If you look for one thing in the game you can spend hours just getting more and more frustrated!

I think what annoys me most is that people said that 'vehicles would change the game and end the running simulator' and then they add 3 per server!

I think what annoys me most is that people said that 'vehicles would change the game and end the running simulator' and then they add 3 per server!

Some players said that. The devs never gave a reason to raise the expectations as high as saying vehicles would end all the running once and for all.

I think what annoys me most are those people who think the game is about having cool stuff and are not ashamed to use exploits to get them and moan at the forums about not finding anything despite this.

Cool stuff is rare because its basically the reward for surviving a long time while still taking risks. Cool stuff is not required to enjoy the game. You cannot expect to be rewarded for little effort.

Though I found it funny that you did not manage to find any weapon because you hopped servers. Why? Because the likes of you always hop in the same locations picking them clean while normal players find weapons, ammo etc. on their way through Chernarus.

• Like 4

Remember it's still just the first iteration. I haven't even tried looking for a V3S since experimental since they're not tied to persistence anyway so chances are I'd loose it soon after finding one. I hope someday, once vehicles are repairable, that there will be more vehicles per server in various conditions that players are competing to fix up and take for themselves.

Edit: Also, don't expect vehicles to ever "end the running simulator". They're not intended to and anyone with a valuable opinion likely wouldn't say so. Think of them more as an added element to the game that are not without their own drawbacks. Between finding vehicles, finding their parts, repairing them, finding fuel, and avoiding detection, they'll never be easy to attain or keep a hold of - and that's really where the fun lies.

Edited by solodude23

Cool stuff is rare because its basically the reward for surviving a long time while still taking risks. Cool stuff is not required to enjoy the game. You cannot expect to be rewarded for little effort.

Nonsense. You shouldn't have to play hours and hours and hours of boring gameplay just to get something cool for a couple of minutes. That's not a good game. You can take pride and consider yourself an elite player if you can do that but it's not a good thing.

• Like 2

You guys need to STAY OFF persistent servers until they are fixed. Allot of the times i will find nothing on them to. You need to go to servers that have this off to find allot of the items you need.

• Like 1

You guys need to STAY OFF persistent servers until they are fixed. Allot of the times i will find nothing on them to. You need to go to servers that have this off to find allot of the items you need.

What exactly is the difference between persistent and non persistent servers?

You shouldn't have to play hours and hours and hours of boring gameplay just to get something cool for a couple of minutes.

True but thats not the point. It's a sad player who needs the "cool 1337 stuff" to have fun. I agree that gameplay needs improvement but not by handing out rewards for free. Instead you should have to play hours and hours of enjoyable gameplay before getting something cool for a couple of hours.

Do not demand rewards for nothing. Because thats what makes a game boring.

• Like 2

Nonsense. You shouldn't have to play hours and hours and hours of boring gameplay just to get something cool for a couple of minutes. That's not a good game. You can take pride and consider yourself an elite player if you can do that but it's not a good thing.

How boring the game is is entirely up to you. If your experience is entirely determined by finding a few specific items, then I'm sorry to say you're playing the wrong game. This isn't scavenger hunt, this is survival.

• Like 2

if sometings is mor rarer wen moment is arrive wen you are find for first time rarer thing IS LIKE HAPPY MOMENT EXPLOD FROM EXCITE FEELING if evrthing is easy for find soon you felt vary boring in dayz and is no more surprise coming example i am still dont find the car i was listen a few time but wen i run in diraction of car sound was gone far away distance i nevr seeing but one day i will find full with petrol and this day will be vary special day for my day life

• Like 6