comikz

Know your role, and stick to your words.

* LONG POST * First off this thread is in part a rant, and also a discussion on it's topic. ( So if you don't like people speaking their mind, please, leave now. )

So I have played this game for over 1600+ hours, never touched any of the Arma games, so my experiences are purely base off my time in the Standalone.

Earlier today, I was heading back from Pavlovo MB, where I was searching for a range finder, found one and a battery for it, and decided to head back towards the coast because that's where my clan and I spend most of our time once where geared up, so I am on the server with two other people, who where in the same clan as one another, so needless to say I was being cautious.

I am nearing Balota AF and hear the explosion of the nearby gas station go off, so I go into my slow n' steady approach to the AF, upon reaching the warehouse at the east-end of the AF, a guy with an M4 rounds the same corner, needless to say, me going with the Wild Wild West get up ( Repeater/Magnum + Cowboy hat, ect. ) was grossly over powered by a dude with an M4 so we made some small talk, he tells me, hey, my buddy and I are friendly, my name is even HERO, I check the player list and sure enough one of the guys from the clan is named HERO, so a bit of small talk continues and the dude says, " Its ok to stop moving we're not going to shoot you ", ( Which if you've played this game for any sort of time, that's a loud of BS... ) so I go on to say, " No man, I don't doubt that your friendly, but I've played long enough to know that holding still, gets you shot ".

So I tell him that I'm just going to run off and continue my way to Elektro because I need protector cases, and it's a good place to get them.

So I run off, no sooner did I reach the center of the AF that a hail of M4 shots go ringing past my head, I say to myself, I F'ing knew it....

Later the LEADER of said clan messages me on Steam to ask me to please come back and help his " Sick " friend, I laugh, tell him I'm not an idiot, and promptly block him...

TL:DR: Met a guy at Balota, said he was friendly, went to leave, pow pow pow with M4, managed to get away.

*Breaths deep*

Alright so how many of you say one thing and do the opposite, how many of you feel that sticking to your playstyle and honoring your word is the way to go, I think it's good to be honest and stick to how you play, be it friendly/hostile/bandit/hero ect. stick to it, be honest with your words, less they come back to bite you.

( If the guys are reading this, know that my clan and I will hunt you down, break your legs, and say don't worry we're friendly. ) 

• Like 1

Imo lying is never acceptable, no matter how small the lie may seem. Good luck on your hunt.

I never fake friendly, unless I know the guys been murdering people and one of those guys who only befriends other terrible murderers (pretend to be a bandit and earn his respect , then kill him as soon as possible)... Other than that I really try to stay a friendly survival hero (when I'm finally fully geared with food and survival supplies I start to play hero and save people , until then I avoid all interaction unless someone strikes me as "innocent").

This Is a good point you make , choose a role and stick to it , because you can still be a devious liar , just don't be a hero that same day or else you're a total asshole lol !

• Like 2

I'm not saying what they did was cool, but it is a strategy. There are people in this world who will lie to you, there are people in this world who will rob you. There are even people in this world who will kill you after they lie to you and rob you. That said, this is just another example of something that could happen in the real world.

You don't have to like it, but as someone who has "played this game for over 1600+ hours", you should know and accept this. While what they did was shady, it is a legitimate tactic. If they weren't supposed to be able to do it in this game, the dev's would have measures in place to prevent it.

• Like 3

It's a pretty difficult situation. If you're in any AF and not on a friendly server, everyone should/will pretty much follow the classic rule: There are two kinds of people in DayZ: Those, who are friendly; and there are those, who have loaded guns and live.

• Like 1

Sticking to one play style is boring.

For the most part I'm a friendly survivor, but if the mood takes me I'll kill on sight.

• Like 7

Always assume people at the airfields or military spawns are hostile, no matter how many times they said friendly. I will agree that luring people in only to kill them is very dirty and underhanded but its an effective and legit tactic.

You should have tried to kill them, I realize you thought you were out gunned but even the sporter 22 can be deadly in the right hands. Some people need to be taught a lesson, these guys sounded like they could have used a bit of lead poisoning and removal of their hard earned gear

• Like 2

It's a pretty difficult situation. If you're in any AF and not on a friendly server, everyone should/will pretty much follow the classic rule: There are two kinds of people in DayZ: Those, who are friendly; and there are those, who have loaded guns and live.

Telling him to watch out if he's not on a friendly server doesn't help. There is no such thing as a Friendly PVE only server. They are falsely named. Many people join those servers just for some easy kills.

Just so ya know.

Telling him to watch out if he's not on a friendly server doesn't help. There is no such thing as a Friendly PVE only server. They are falsely named. Many people join those servers just for some easy kills.

Just so ya know.

Nah, not really. Been on lots of those, those asshats are easily a minority.

Hard to believe that just yesterday I posted this:

pf9BCb4.jpg?1

• Like 3

If I had been the one with the repeater and he'd had an M4, I would have shot him in the head when he lowered his guard and made off with his gear. If you want to play friendly, I suggest you do so with mediocre gear. Top tier military gear makes you a threat and a target.

Why he shot a less geared player who was running away is beyond me. Most likely a strong competitive streak. But asking everyone to openly state their intentions while playing this game is asking for a lot. The threat of the unknown is what makes this game worth playing. Not knowing if you can trust the stranger you're conversing with makes teamwork in dayz so much better than in other shooters.

Diligence. Dayz rewards the diligent, and punishes the naive.

• Like 1

I never lie in this game at least. I always try to speak with truth when approaching other player, if they see you are a liar the most logic end is death. So I take the risk and if things get a little bit hostile...most of the time I manage to be the one staring at a dead jerk.

---

Its called deception. If you want a game where people are not going to lie and try to kill you, try single player. But I hear NPC's often do the same thing.

Without conflict how can we know peace? Without lie's how can we know the value of honesty? Without betrayal what is trust?

• Like 1

This game is 85% idiots and assholes! I hope they all move to h1z1 next month.

Where are all those descent bandits that used to handcuffed you, rob you,make fun of you? Now it's only lazy KoS, even if you are fresh spawn and run away from them.

I was most commonly referring to the people who us this "tactic" because they where either surprised by you or didn't have a clear shot, so they lie about their motives by saying their "friendly" or a "hero" so that they can get close to you and wait for the most opportune time to kill you, then blast their mic with the usual, "Hehe you just got rekt!" or my personal favorite, "Welcome to DayZ, Noob!"...

It's like people are too afraid to be honest and be upfront about it all, because their too scared to take someone on when both parties are aware, people seem to rely too much on "deception" or cheap tricks to get the edge over someone, when if they skipped all the BS, and just did what they where originally going to do, then they do it, not be liars because they think their being "tactful"...

I've always been honest about my role and my playstyle, if you think it's a "tactic" to lie to someone, then I feel sorry for your group/clan, if your a Bandit/Hero/Friendly or just a Survivor, be that role.

• Like 3

I was most commonly referring to the people who us this "tactic" because they where either surprised by you or didn't have a clear shot, so they lie about their motives by saying their "friendly" or a "hero" so that they can get close to you and wait for the most opportune time to kill you, then blast their mic with the usual, "Hehe you just got rekt!" or my personal favorite, "Welcome to DayZ, Noob!"...

It's like people are too afraid to be honest and be upfront about it all, because their too scared to take someone on when both parties are aware, people seem to rely too much on "deception" or cheap tricks to get the edge over someone, when if they skipped all the BS, and just did what they where originally going to do, then they do it, not be liars because they think their being "tactful"...

I've always been honest about my role and my playstyle, if you think it's a "tactic" to lie to someone, then I feel sorry for your group/clan, if your a Bandit/Hero/Friendly or just a Survivor, be that role.

This is exactly it ... It's not like we're saying "oh pvp no fun plz REMOOOVE DEVZSS!" Like some people on this discussion believe Lol , all we are saying is don't be a slime ball simply because you don't think you can take someone out from afar , or a least leave the guy for dead after robbing him to see If he can truly survive! I'm sure though you guys would rather make it easy and just shoot to kill when their back is turned to get onto the next twenty second thrill , I guess the apocalypse only changes the world and not the humans :( ...

Of course the world is filled with liars and cheats , but the only reason it is , is because those who do that are afraid , afraid of being poor so they steal , afraid of being caught so they kill (unless you were just thoroughly abused as a child causing incessant rage, which would basically be a KOSer). If you're killing for no reason then you deserve to be killed for no reason , but if you rob and cheat without killing for no reason (because you're hungry or cold or sick) then the people like me will always forgive you :) ...

But in my opinion why get close to somebody if you're truly worried that they are hostile and want to kill you, you're just endangering yourself to maybe save yourself from something that may not even be a threat ? By the logic of some of the self admitted KOSers above , it seems as though they lure and fake friendly because they are intimidated one way or another by someone they see (or they are assuming that everyone is like them, but they are not .. I love talking to people regardless of their intentions , it would be nice to find more sophisticated bandits out there instead of straight up meaningless KOS ! ) but I'm telling you if you're cautious you can definitely get some one close to you to at least talk without having to kill them after if you take the necessary steps and make sure to profile everything they say and do ...

That's just me though I guess because I go out on a limb, seeing as this is just a game and I'm not too scared of dying , I get to see and experience a lot more unique situations than just " hey buddy come over here I'm friendly" *pew pew pew* "sorry buddy you shouldn't have trusted me " lol ...

KOS will always be in our hearts as that low rung of entertainment , kind of like puppetry is to the world of art , but does that mean the higher walks of life should observe and practice it ? I think not lol ... A time and a person for everything ;) !

Note : hardcore KOSers please don't take offense , it's just my viewpoint that trust is only for the strong , and that most KOS comes from mindsets

Like "it's just a game " or "I'm too suspicious of strangers to let them live" which both can be quelled by going out on a limb , lose a couple of lives trying to play hero and eventually you'll be a master at "controlling" uncontrollable situations , and those lives will start to last longer everytime you experience a near death experience as you learn from every one of them !

• Like 2

Have always felt games are good reflection of how folks really are instead of how they let society dictate how they are.  

I am always on extra guard when someone says they are friendly. 

I never say i am friendly. When asked my response has always been. "That depends on you"

• Like 2

I never say i am friendly. When asked my response has always been. "That depends on you"

We wish megaphones would be implemented after global sound gets ironed out.

Let's pretend that we indeed do have a megaphone, and I see you in-game first, and give you my 'word' :

*Skrreech*  "Fuckhead, yeah you, Fuckhead"

<pause to determine if you wanna be my lover and could get with my friends>

*Skrreech*  "He's resisting arrest"

<bullets come from multiple directions to make the arrest>

<at this point, that area is a crime scene and anyone following suit is interfering with it even though I'm too far away to hear them, bygod they hear me>

#toetag

Just kidding.  Or am I?  Did I take my medication?   

• Like 3

Because this is a video game nothing will change, the only thing you will have are private shards where everyone can RP a reputation of themselves and play hero or bandit.

People will still yell "friendly" only to shoot you in the back once you let your guard down. Other than taking the game mechanics away that allow this behavior you will most likely be stuck to private shards if it is a deal breaker.

• Like 1

This is exactly it ... It's not like we're saying "oh pvp no fun plz REMOOOVE DEVZSS!" Like some people on this discussion believe Lol , all we are saying is don't be a slime ball simply because you don't think you can take someone out from afar , or a least leave the guy for dead after robbing him to see If he can truly survive! I'm sure though you guys would rather make it easy and just shoot to kill when their back is turned to get onto the next twenty second thrill , I guess the apocalypse only changes the world and not the humans :( ...

Of course the world is filled with liars and cheats , but the only reason it is , is because those who do that are afraid , afraid of being poor so they steal , afraid of being caught so they kill (unless you were just thoroughly abused as a child causing incessant rage, which would basically be a KOSer). If you're killing for no reason then you deserve to be killed for no reason , but if you rob and cheat without killing for no reason (because you're hungry or cold or sick) then the people like me will always forgive you :) ...

But in my opinion why get close to somebody if you're truly worried that they are hostile and want to kill you, you're just endangering yourself to maybe save yourself from something that may not even be a threat ? By the logic of some of the self admitted KOSers above , it seems as though they lure and fake friendly because they are intimidated one way or another by someone they see (or they are assuming that everyone is like them, but they are not .. I love talking to people regardless of their intentions , it would be nice to find more sophisticated bandits out there instead of straight up meaningless KOS ! ) but I'm telling you if you're cautious you can definitely get some one close to you to at least talk without having to kill them after if you take the necessary steps and make sure to profile everything they say and do ...

That's just me though I guess because I go out on a limb, seeing as this is just a game and I'm not too scared of dying , I get to see and experience a lot more unique situations than just " hey buddy come over here I'm friendly" *pew pew pew* "sorry buddy you shouldn't have trusted me " lol ...

KOS will always be in our hearts as that low rung of entertainment , kind of like puppetry is to the world of art , but does that mean the higher walks of life should observe and practice it ? I think not lol ... A time and a person for everything ;) !

Note : hardcore KOSers please don't take offense , it's just my viewpoint that trust is only for the strong , and that most KOS comes from mindsets

Like "it's just a game " or "I'm too suspicious of strangers to let them live" which both can be quelled by going out on a limb , lose a couple of lives trying to play hero and eventually you'll be a master at "controlling" uncontrollable situations , and those lives will start to last longer everytime you experience a near death experience as you learn from every one of them !

Sorry, I just want to see the world and everyone in it burn.  I saw infected eat my wife and children, and you expect me to sit at a fire with you and reminisce?  I am well past that bub, and I hold no hope for the future.  My future is gone, wiped away.  I'm gonna take everyone elses future now.

I never fake friendly and have learned that anyone named "Friendly", "Hero" or "Admin" are lying scum and should be KoS along with cannibals.  Anyone with an M4, on the coast no less, is up to no good, period.  Anyone who attempts to hit me from behind for the knock out that fails and then tries to be friendly--same deal.  Finally, there is no such thing as friendly encounters at Balota or NWAF.

Edited by Barnabus

We wish megaphones would be implemented after global sound gets ironed out.

Let's pretend that we indeed do have a megaphone, and I see you in-game first, and give you my 'word' :

*Skrreech*  "Fuckhead, yeah you, Fuckhead"

<pause to determine if you wanna be my lover and could get with my friends>

*Skrreech*  "He's resisting arrest"

<bullets come from multiple directions to make the arrest>

<at this point, that area is a crime scene and anyone following suit is interfering with it even though I'm too far away to hear them, bygod they hear me>

#toetag

Just kidding.  Or am I?  Did I take my medication?   

Great server BTW.

• Like 1

Sorry, I just want to see the world and everyone in it burn.  I saw infected eat my wife and children, and you expect me to sit at a fire with you and reminisce?  I am well past that bub, and I hold no hope for the future.  My future is gone, wiped away.  I'm gonna take everyone elses future now.

says the guy from Detroit haha.

I always stick to my word, not for other players sake but for my own, I dont want to be a lying scumbag, so I choose not to. I agree with everybody else, if somebody immediately yells out that they are "friendly" my guard and gun are up, if I ever encounter somebody and it is evident i have the upper hand, I very calmly tell them to keep their gun on their back or lowered, and not to make any sudden moves, and they'll live, i dont play the game to kill people or take their stuff, its more fun for me to find it all. i will however blow a hole in your skull if you try to kill me or take my stuff, i dont let bandits get my stuff easily, i will die before i let you rob me. i enjoy the rare friendly encounters that make the game worth playing, which as long as the people are stupid i generally make new friends. ive gotten to where death doesn't bother me so it allows me to take more chances, the one good encounter is worth 5 bad ones, the only time i hate being killed is when im travelling minding my own business and somebody shoots me as i run past, or being killed as a new spawn, otherwise, bring it on, i enjoy the challenge, but dont be a sneaky little prick who has to weasel his way around so he can get a kill, if you want to fight me do it with honor.

• Like 1

says the guy from Detroit haha.

I always stick to my word, not for other players sake but for my own, I dont want to be a lying scumbag, so I choose not to. I agree with everybody else, if somebody immediately yells out that they are "friendly" my guard and gun are up, if I ever encounter somebody and it is evident i have the upper hand, I very calmly tell them to keep their gun on their back or lowered, and not to make any sudden moves, and they'll live, i dont play the game to kill people or take their stuff, its more fun for me to find it all. i will however blow a hole in your skull if you try to kill me or take my stuff, i dont let bandits get my stuff easily, i will die before i let you rob me. i enjoy the rare friendly encounters that make the game worth playing, which as long as the people are stupid i generally make new friends. ive gotten to where death doesn't bother me so it allows me to take more chances, the one good encounter is worth 5 bad ones, the only time i hate being killed is when im travelling minding my own business and somebody shoots me as i run past, or being killed as a new spawn, otherwise, bring it on, i enjoy the challenge, but dont be a sneaky little prick who has to weasel his way around so he can get a kill, if you want to fight me do it with honor.

Maybe someone wants to roleplay a guy like that though?  I mean, there sure are enough in the real world to make it rather unrealistic if there were none in the game.  Plus, without liars and other untrustworthy players it would simplify things perhaps a little too much, and lend itself to predictability.