Sign in to follow this  
Karmaterror

Should scopes in dayz have the ability to zero?

OK OK im guessing the model we have in now would zero IRL....as they do things pretty realistically. But should a zeroing model be included at all?

I would like to see 2 types of scope, the DMR from the mod....no zeroing but a RMB zoom. And a fixed LRS with higher dfault zoom but still no zeroing.

I feel like (while realistic) its just gonna make sniping way to easy. Why not make us have to account for bullet drop always, make us learn the milldot ranges ect.

So what do you guys think is better for dayz gameplay....zeroable or none zeroable ? :)

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 1

I actually do want to see this because it's currently way to easy for any idiot bandit to pick up a scope and "zero" to whatever number then go on a sniping rampage.

• Like 3

They can take away zero'ing as soon as they add scops with some sort of markings on them.

I can use a DMR out to 900m fairly accurately because it has mil dots, using the LRS without zeroing would be absolutely horrible.

• Like 2

I feel like (while realistic) its just gonna make sniping way to easy. Why not make us have to account for bullet drop always, make us learn the milldot ranges ect.

thats entirely the problem its not realistic.

You take any modern scope and you dont have 100m - 1000m  markers.

You have a universal mil or moa turrets a angular form of measuring.

Make sniping realistic and the difficulty and fun spikes up.

http://youtu.be/MlKtKqpCaWw?t=5m38s

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 1

While I don't think that scoped rifles are necessarily 'bandit's tools' primarily, I do think they should be zero-able if their real life counterpart is zero-able.  

• Like 3

I think the LRS, PSO and PU....along with the super rare m4 scopes should be left as is. Although rarity is a whole nother debate....But no nerfs.....lets not even get into that bull shit were, were nerfing and balancing shit all the time....if it really needs then do it....otherwise stop complaining about it. I hate have my game dumbed down and nerfed.....saw this patch nerfed camo, can't paint fire axes....mosin rap is gone....all because the ghillie suit was added...which most are not even going to go after. So really we took one step forward, 2 back ward....Its true

I played a game MMO game once that started catoring to forums nerf this nerf that QQers once, they started all these bull shit nerfs every patch....the game went belly up  after a year of that. Then sony dropped it, now there barely clinging on to life. The sad part was the game was really a rich epic game for the 1st few years..it really was..The silent majority packed there shit and left quicker then you can blink when started in with the BS nerfs.. The reason is the people on the forums were really only a small % of the huge base many of them did not rep the base as hole, only there own selfish short comings ..the scary thing was the devs starting taking them serous......and when you start catoring to bull shit you piss off the silent majority...its true. Quite frankly I never thought I say this, but I starting to see the same thing here.

I can see if these scopes are all over the place......or like before when the mosin had no sway, and there was no damage nerf....and it had the bi pod....thing was deadly....but not now..come on really? It takes more then one shot to kill a reasonbly geared player at range with it now....with sway...thats not always easy....not like players that like the mosin get a free ride.....Give me a fucking break with this shit!

I hate nerfs when there just not needed.

Hey guys, they got rid of the hacker threat for the most part.......so WTF now "snipers" or over watch players  are the new boogie man on the forums? Really? Guys serously hang in there private shards are coming....with that the bandit crap and kos crap will go down. No need for the nerfs. I really starting to think kos ass hats need to tone it down a notch. Fuckers are the ones causing all this QQ!

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 3

LRS = Should have a MOA "zeroing"

Pu = Should be calibrated for 7.62x54r and should elevate for up to 1300m when mounted on a sks it should still elevate for 7.62x54r and not the sks 7.62x39

PSO = Should elevate to 1000m and should be calibrated for 7.62x54r out of a svd, the chevrons are used for shooting past 1000m. When mounted on aks the elevation adjustments should not be accurate since the scope is built for 7.62x54r not 7.62x39 or 5.45x39.

The upcoming hunting scope should be moa or mils as well.

• Like 2

thats entirely the problem its not realistic.

You take any modern scope and you dont have 100m - 1000m  markers.

You have a universal mil or moa turrets a angular form of measuring.

Make sniping realistic and the difficulty and fun spikes up.

http://youtu.be/MlKtKqpCaWw?t=5m38s

Ahh I see, im not very knowledgeable on guns....why ya never see me in the weapon threads. My experience withguns (being from the UK) is .22 air rifles, paintball guns and one go of a big hefty farmers shotgun.

Seen as its realistic aswell lets have it....no more easy mode....rangefinder and remembering what the mill dots mean would be much better:)

• Like 1

Ballistics in DayZ in general should be modelled off ACE mods ballistics, more realistic damage, penetration and wounding/hitboxes are the only noticeable things up close, but for snipers wind and other factors now make shooting beyond 300-400 meters difficult, as it should be. Scopes also fully zeroable in ace, though not to distances, they use MOA.

• Like 1

Ahh I see, im not very knowledgeable on guns....why ya never see me in the weapon threads. My experience withguns (being from the UK) is .22 air rifles, paintball guns and one go of a big hefty farmers shotgun.

Seen as its realistic aswell lets have it....no more easy mode....rangefinder and remembering what the mill dots mean would be much better:)

Agreed.

At the same time everything in game seems to be held together with glue due to be completely removed and or replaced at a later time.

I suspect and hope that is the case with the sniping mechanics and "zeroing" options on weapons 

• Like 1

Agreed.

At the same time everything in game seems to be held together with glue due to be completely removed and or replaced at a later time.

I suspect and hope that is the case with the sniping mechanics and "zeroing" options on weapons 

Realistic sniping would not only be better because of the gameplay advantages but to how practical it can be.

I'm so used to playing ArmA mods like ACE that point and click shooting feels unnatural to me and I always want to compensate even though there's very little bullet drop, guns have incorrect accuracy & recoil (Mosin especially should have more recoil and be a bit less accurate IMO, as should the AKM) and just no general reason to do so.

Having defined wind with varied/realistic speed and directions, as well as temperature, air pressure, maybe even humidity and better overall sniping mechanics (Mil/MOA turrets, zeroing only on ironsights or where it applies, etc.) would make the game more fun and combat more interesting than point and click. (Plus it allows for more powerful and longer ranged weaponry that are still a challenge to use but not "overpowered.") I actually do like the idea of having to go around and find or even craft barometers and thermometers for those who want to really want to be effective snipers. Not only will you need your rifle, ammunition, and other general supplies (ala sidearms, food, water, medicine, etc), but you'll also need binoculars, a rangefinder, and weather monitoring equipment if you truly want to be good.

This would also work well in addition to a weight and stamina system so that shorter rifles like the CR527 still remain practical and machine guns are heavy but accurate and manageable when deployed as actual suppressive/defensive weapons, rather than just super PvP guns with large mags.

• Like 1

Zeroable if no mildots, or a scope that has mildots but is unaffected by FoV slider. Would be more realistic if they had both.

honestly dont know why torchia is working on a universal scope for all rifles, when he should make scopes that are made to fit each rifle.

• Like 1

Realistic sniping would not only be better because of the gameplay advantages but to how practical it can be.

I'm so used to playing ArmA mods like ACE that point and click shooting feels unnatural to me and I always want to compensate even though there's very little bullet drop, guns have incorrect accuracy & recoil (Mosin especially should have more recoil and be a bit less accurate IMO, as should the AKM) and just no general reason to do so.

Having defined wind with varied/realistic speed and directions, as well as temperature, air pressure, maybe even humidity and better overall sniping mechanics (Mil/MOA turrets, zeroing only on ironsights or where it applies, etc.) would make the game more fun and combat more interesting than point and click. (Plus it allows for more powerful and longer ranged weaponry that are still a challenge to use but not "overpowered.") I actually do like the idea of having to go around and find or even craft barometers and thermometers for those who want to really want to be effective snipers. Not only will you need your rifle, ammunition, and other general supplies (ala sidearms, food, water, medicine, etc), but you'll also need binoculars, a rangefinder, and weather monitoring equipment if you truly want to be good.

This would also work well in addition to a weight and stamina system so that shorter rifles like the CR527 still remain practical and machine guns are heavy but accurate and manageable when deployed as actual suppressive/defensive weapons, rather than just super PvP guns with large mags.

Pretty much.

If all those things are added perhaps firefights would last longer than a few seconds.

• Like 1

lets not even get into that bull shit were, were nerfing and balancing shit all the time...

There should be absolutely minimal 'balancing' done to anything in the game when they function properly.

If something is objectively better than another simply because it is, then all is how it should be.

Understanding how mil dots work, I prefer the PSO. So nice and easy if you're targeting anything but midgets.

Edited by Heav

Its basically the same thing.  Many fps gamers  are used to calculating bullet drop using their sights than dialing in range.

Instead of dialing from 300 to 400, you want us to look from this dot to that dot.  Really, not much difference.

Edit- I am in full favor of removing the range zeroing like we currently have now.  
Like I said, myself and most fps gamers are already used to compensating via sights, not through dialing in the range.

Edited by harteman

I actually do want to see this because it's currently way to easy for any idiot bandit to pick up a scope and "zero" to whatever number then go on a sniping rampage.

Careful, opinions like that anger some forum members.  :rolleyes: 

Personally I'd get rid of scopes all together but I know that's an unpopular opinion. I just find the sniping too easy.

You know I read through several replies to this thread and all I got for a reason people want the "Zeroing" to be removed is so they don't get their fool lil' head blown off by a "Bandit" sniper, or snipers in general, this is the same reason many of the people who post here on the forums wanted the Military weapon spawns diminished so that they didn't get KoS'd as often.

My vote, keep zeroing, if I can zero in a gun IRL I should be able to in a game that boasts "Realism"...

• Like 2

They can take away zero'ing as soon as they add scops with some sort of markings on them.

Done. Now remove zeroing.

I think zeroing should stay in for most weapons (all on which it makes sense) but get an animation so you cannot just quickly switch between distances. Scopes with markings should then have the advantage of being more flexible at the cost of being slightly harder to use.

• Like 2

I saw this comment by a dev on reddit, replying to people complaining about the plans to have the vehicles use manual transmission and i thought it was relevant here: 

"We are promoting player skills, if you want to drive that vehicle you need to know how to operate it. Doesn't matter at all if it takes some time to get used to it."

This is a good sign in regards to their design vision, hopefully they'll apply the same way of thinking to the shooting mechanics.

• Like 1

....Fuck the DMR. Damn, POS OP rifle. xD

Done. Now remove zeroing.

I think zeroing should stay in for most weapons (all on which it makes sense) but get an animation so you cannot just quickly switch between distances. Scopes with markings should then have the advantage of being more flexible at the cost of being slightly harder to use.

I like the idea of an animation. Maybe he lowwers the gun ant turns something on the scope, then it goes back to scope, total bout 2-3 seconds....get the adjustment wrong....anothe2-3 seconds to swap it again.

Glad I aint the only one who thinks zeroing makes it too easy.

You know I read through several replies to this thread and all I got for a reason people want the "Zeroing" to be removed is so they don't get their fool lil' head blown off by a "Bandit" sniper, or snipers in general, this is the same reason many of the people who post here on the forums wanted the Military weapon spawns diminished so that they didn't get KoS'd as often.

My vote, keep zeroing, if I can zero in a gun IRL I should be able to in a game that boasts "Realism"...

I suppose your right, some people would want the snipers to be inaccurate so they don't get shot as much. My real inspiration is Arma 2. I made a firing range at NWA (with like helis and planes) was to train my mates up for online Dayz, wasteland ect. But while firing at the pop up targets we came up with some rules. Zeroing was just making any little competitions a farse....always going to sudden death...one lasted like 30 mins before someone missed.

So we changed the rules, not allowed to zero, had to knock it down to 100 and use the scope. The competitions suddenly became interesting. Like I would miss my 3rd out of 5, the opponent missed his 4th and evens it up. Was just so much more entertaining :)

Edited by Karmaterror

I like the idea of an animation. Maybe he lowwers the gun ant turns something on the scope, then it goes back to scope, total bout 2-3 seconds....get the adjustment wrong....anothe2-3 seconds to swap it again.

Glad I aint the only one who thinks zeroing makes it too easy.

I suppose your right, some people would want the snipers to be inaccurate so they don't get shot as much. My real inspiration is Arma 2. I made a firing range at NWA (with like helis and planes) was to train my mates up for online Dayz, wasteland ect. But while firing at the pop up targets we came up with some rules. Zeroing was just making any little competitions a farse....always going to sudden death...one lasted like 30 mins before someone missed.

So we changed the rules, not allowed to zero, had to knock it down to 100 and use the scope. The competitions suddenly became interesting. Like I would miss my 3rd out of 5, the opponent missed his 4th and evens it up. Was just so much more entertaining :)

Ohh I understand fully about how Zeroing makes it a tad bit too easy for someone to hit their target, it something should be added in terms of a challenge when it comes to shooting far distances say 600+ meters, but like I said, zeroing is a real thing is real life, most scopes can be zeroed in, and that is why I want to keep it in.

But my idea on a compromise would be, putting in an animation that your character does when zeroing his/her gun, this would take .4 to .7 seconds per distance increase 50 > 100 > 200 and so on, this would make it more real to me, and allow people who are under sniper fire more time to get to cover or to find out where it's coming from, also to add to this, your character while zeroing would unscope so you couldn't be scoped in and zero at the same time, and the time it would take to zero would increase if you where moving ie walking/running ect.

• Like 1

Add scopes that reflect their RL counterparts. Also, when you find a scope make everyone have to zero the scope to the rifle! That means shooting at 100, 200 300m etc ranges

• Like 2

Hey guys, they got rid of the hacker threat for the most part.......so WTF now "snipers" or over watch players  are the new boogie man on the forums? Really? Guys serously hang in there private shards are coming....with that the bandit crap and kos crap will go down. No need for the nerfs. I really starting to think kos ass hats need to tone it down a notch. Fuckers are the ones causing all this QQ!

My motivation is really from the point of view of the person sniping not the victim. See my post above this for how I came up with the idea. Not saying snipers are the boggie man, I don't mind being sniped and snipers should always be in dayz. I just want some challenge in taking my shots.

Everyone has there nests....and knows ranges to key structure (fireststions, hospitals, schools) or up at NWA I know, from my nest, which hanger I have to throw the zeroing up and just use centre scope. The thing with milldots (thnking DMR from the mod here) was that it was a little harder to track a moving target with a milldot than full horizontal line. No resting that line on his head and waiting for him to run into the shot...there were often times you could lead, fire and realise it was slightly high or slightly low. That's much less likely happen when your zeroing is where it should be and you use that horizontal line :)

Edited by Karmaterror

LRS = Should have a MOA "zeroing"

Pu = Should be calibrated for 7.62x54r and should elevate for up to 1300m when mounted on a sks it should still elevate for 7.62x54r and not the sks 7.62x39

PSO = Should elevate to 1000m and should be calibrated for 7.62x54r out of a svd, the chevrons are used for shooting past 1000m. When mounted on aks the elevation adjustments should not be accurate since the scope is built for 7.62x54r not 7.62x39 or 5.45x39.

The upcoming hunting scope should be moa or mils as well.

Over my head....

What gibbonz said :)