Sign in to follow this  
100ftjesus

Killing players while they're logging in / out

I think I must have been killed while logging off.

Can't think of another reason for my character wipe.

(I've had char wipes before, but have always seemed to have found myself again.  This time, 10 different servers and the same fresh spawn each time.  The first time I didn't touch anything or move, just logged out again.  Did this another 9 times before accepting my new fate...)

So i've come to the conclusion I was killed while logging off.  I know I could be wrong and it could have been random dayz character wipe, but I was motionless in a bush for around 5 minutes before hitting escape, so i'm pretty such it wasn't a zombie.  Must have been being followed by a good stalker.

What are the forum thoughts on this 'tactic' or practice?

Personally it ranks as more annoying than random stairs death, but is this an acceptable form of gameplay at the moment?

Seems a bit, well cheap and spineless to me...

I shot someone who spawned right in front of me on the roof of a building in Elektro once.

Fair game, I reckon.

I think players being able to just disappear out of the world and escape a stalker/hunter is more unacceptable. Because of this, I won't hesitate to kill a "warping" player if they look like the right type (full military garb, assault rifle or Mosin+LRS). I will also do the same if I can tell they logged out to intentionally avoid conflict.

It's an ugly part of the game, but it's still part of dayz. Be wary about where you decide to leave your avatar.

• Like 1

It brings great joy to kill the combat logger that thought they escaped you.

I felt bad but a guy Spawned in front of me yestarday in the Northwest airfield Barracks and he was armed to the teeth. So i axed him to pieces. I like to think he would have shot me if i tried talking to him. I do think it's fair game , Like comming across a sleeping player. Thats why i always log out in a super secret safe spot. 

a007f88c-64e9-42f0-94d6-7aaa0de0fb7e_zps

Edited by LoveAffair

If they waited THAT long to kill you when they had the drop on you and you were in sight that's just cowardice.  If I were that kind of player I'd have killed you at the first sign of you being AFK.  This sounds more like a bug or wipe.  Try playing on a different server till you find one where you don't reset.

Killing a player you just happen to run across that's logging in/out.  Kind of a dick move but with the amount of KOS it's valid.  Stalking someone and literally waiting for them to log out before you kill them?  It strikes me as something not smart or only those who are really shitty players would do.

It's all about where you log out/in. Buildings to me are a pure No-No. I put forth an effort to get to the woods or other secure spot away from civilization. I agree with the waiting for 5 minutes to make sure the Zeds are clear. 

I agree also that log ins/outs are fair game. Easy to head shot them and recover all the gear without ruining it.

I think it's fair game if it's a "server hopper". You know the guys in the ATC buildings under the stairs or in one of the rooms in police stations, just plainly obvious about getting cheap gear. They need to be "helped out" in picking a better spot to log out from.

You're the only one to blame, logging off not securing the zone before.

Could've been a player, log off by a bush where u can be easily spotted, specially from a far since bushes i believe have a shorter 'showing distance' than players, or a zombie, they spawn too you know...

So yeah, suck it up.

Edited by BrainlessZombie

if they are on an airfield, yes. cos logging off near an airfield is stupid.

if they are in a city or the forest, i will normally wait and say hello, but otherwise, i would just leave them.

OP, sorry, but you're not going to get much sympathy here. This is one of those things that makes DayZ what it is because it's so core to how you play the game. I'm not accusing you of being careless because I don't know what happened, I'm just saying that you need to accept it for what it is and move on.

It makes me mad. They can control their player, but you can't control yours because you're stuck on "Please wait! Please wait!" and then "You are dead". 

Seriously, I understand it's in Alpha, but come on...

At the very least when logging in/out you should have a resistance to zombie attacks (not immunity). When leaving a town I sat up in the forest for a few minutes in case somebody decided to follow me. In the 5 or so minutes I waited two or three zombies ran up to attack me, despite not even being in view of the town. If I'd decided to log out after 2 minutes instead of 5, I'd likely have been killed. 

Equally, I once had my game crash when running away from zombies. I started the game up again and joined the same server. I was barely alive. In fact, I was so barely alive that I was dead. Or at least my clone was... not sure how that happened.

Being killed by players when logging in or out is fair game, however

I saw two players kill a bunch of people in Cherno once. Since I only had an axe I couldnt do much but I snuck on them in a house. I saw that the server was gonna restart so i waited in an adjacent room and logged in as fast as I could. I ran to the room and a few seconds later one of them logged in. I hit him adn he started bleeding then noticed what was happening and ran. I ran after him and wailed at him for a while. Then his friend came and started shooting so i walied at him too. Then I died.

Fair game?

Anybody you see is fair game. Anybody you don't see is fair game. 

Blind log outs spoil immersion, the guy may have been tailing you to make contact....you logged out and he got pissed off that he didn't get some interaction after all that effort so decided some gear would do. A live system where you cannot do anything bar interrupting it would be much better IMO. That way he could of seen you sit to log....that sounds so wrong lol...and then either shot at you or winged you to break the logout. Not only would that guy have got a much better experience that shooting a bot, you would have had the chance to react.

Im tired of getting close to people then have them log out....leaving me with a glorified punching bag. I know many disagree and see the blind logout as a better option. But anything that can leave an uncontrolled avatar in the game for any amount of time not only goes against the old plan of no NPC's (that's essentially what your av is as you log) but also is a step back from the mods system of no log out near players and shots near cancelling the timer.

The blind log out should be a backup in my opinion if people try and alt f4. For proper log outs let my prey stay and react somehow to me being there :)

I only kill people logging in @ military bases, assuming they're hopping. Anywhere else, if I catch em logging in I'll break their legs, cuff em, bandage em, then interact... likely give em a splint and their weapons back if they're cool.

Innocents that you stumble on logging I take on a case by case basis. A geared dude with a tricked out M4? BLAMMO, thanks for the kit mate. A freshie with a sledgehammer and a kid's backpack? He gets a break. A clear-cut combat logger, even one with no gear? Death to you!

DayZ can lose character data without death, so it's possible you weren't killed and you were purely unlucky. I've logged out in low-pop servers inside of sheds out in the middle of nowhere and logged back in to find my character gone. Unless I'm in some sort of rush, I usually only log out in areas that are completely improbable for another character to stumble upon mine within the next 30 seconds, but it doesn't always help. If you feel like you were killed by a "good stalker", I'd say it's far more likely that the servers lost your data. 

Having said that, it's perfectly possible to get killed while logging out or logging in. I just logged in a few minutes ago in that town with the giant tower-like building and found myself logging in right next to someone who was in the process of logging out. He had tons of goodies and needless to say I capped him :p Probably one of the weirdest coincidences I've encountered in this game. A million different rooms and we both chose to log in and out in the same one...creepy...