robbyj

Hey... You friendly?

Admittedly I have met quite a few random people who didn't try to kill me, (or me them). We bump into each other on the street, chat a bit, then head our separate ways. That VAST majority of the time it has not been so well. %99 of the time I avoid all contact with people in this game. I don't know anyone who plays and I'm not part of a clan so I am lone wolf %100 of the time. The highlighted words above are words to live by when it comes to DayZ.

I'm basically in the same boat.  What do you do to avoid getting too bored and becoming a KOS troll?  I just had a mountain of drybags disappear on the Wednesday maintenance because I couldn't find anyone to share with.  I lost an MP5K, and plenty of other primo gear.  If you'd like to trade or collaborate on supply runs, let me know what region you are in so we can try to find a good ping server.

I much prefer "Drop your weapon and get on the floor, if you turn around I'll kill you"

After which you can gauge whether they are friendly and compliant or not.

LMAO, at which point I keep doing whatever it was I was doing. If you're going to shoot you will do it anyway. If not, then I'm already running around the corner.

haha, this.If i have no firearms ill just ignore you. It Just works so rarely. I mean, the victim has to trust you which in my case is like..yeah never, i rather go down man, i aint your bitch to be bossed around either.If you aim at my face and demand me to do things...well,this friendship is ova! With all the desync going on i have no doubt your advantage is marginal even if you have a weapon drawn out.

Edited by halp

What's the point in shooting every person you meet? Don't get me wrong, I love PvPing and so does every other player. But if you want to shoot at everyone you see, why play DayZ? I realize the rush is why most people do it but that doesn't mean you have to kill everyone in sight. Everyone has ran into a billion clowns that, no matter how stacked the odds are, try to kill you. But it's the handful of people that don't is what makes it fun. I'm not saying you shouldn't kill or you should play hero, but KoSing everyone you see or meet isn't all that fun.

What you see is fun is completely different to what I see is fun, THAT is the beauty of DayZ. The problem (from point of view) is vast majority want and do play it my way, always have and always will.

<< the vast majority want and do play it my way, always have and always will. >>

Hi NexVentor - interesting comment in your reply to BiGoDeViN er .. and you know what you say is TRUE because (? ) :

- you take pols in the game ? - you ask all the players on your server if they are 100% KoS, and then you multiply by the total number of servers?

- because you hang out with two or 3 other psychopaths so you think everyone is the same?

- because you read it on Redit ?

- the "vast majority" means a lot MORE than HALF the players, right ? .. that's more than 1,500,000 people who PLAY like YOU ?  Wow - you sure are an AVERAGE guy

(in your own opinion).

Where DO you get your INFO on the number of KOS shooting deaths compared to the number of players (I hear there are about 3,000,000 players now).

Did you ask them all? No one ever dies of exposure, zombies, suicide, paranoia shooting, fistfights-for-fun, starvation, drowning, sickness, falling off roofs?

I know this sounds a crazy idea but - have you ever thought of playing ... a little .. differently?  Because it is a GAME and you can do what you like, right ? (ya know, just for fun).

In case the idea worries you - there ARE games around that are 100% KoS, you maybe heard of them?

[edit - no offense, dude - but there are a lot of ways to play this game, don't limit yourself]

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

In case the idea worries you - there ARE games around that are 100% KoS, you maybe heard of them?

Problem with those games for a  guy like that, Pil... is that everyone shoots back. 

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 1

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for #item#, I can tell you I don't have #item# but what I do have is an ak101 pointed at you. An ak101 I have acquired over a very long career. An ak101 that makes me a nightmare for people like you. If you let me go now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you.

Edited by RaviN
  • Like 1

Every time i meet somebody who is not a obvious bandit, i try to chat, but everytime is the same thing,"I am friendly too :)" and shot me or hes friend do the job.

yeah i got this, found some random guy that had no weapon (thats when they say they are friendly)

rolled with him to meet his friend and started rolling with his friend too..

we all got crappy guns now and when his friend done a noob mistake in a barn and fell off the edge he died..

they must of spoken in ts and the first guy i met turned and shot me..

if you get the feeling that someone random is gona kill you, they probably are!

Every time i meet somebody who is not a obvious bandit, i try to chat, but everytime is the same thing,"I am friendly too :)" and shot me or hes friend do the job.

how do you spot an "obvious bandit" ?

Please tell

I've found generally players with total military kit want to KoS because they think that's the whole game

But I also got punched to death (1 hit KO... then dead) by a guy I was talking to who was wearing first-day standard stuff. My fault for letting him get close. + I was wearing an axe. I looked in my inventory to give him food, and he took me by surprise. .. well, yeah, my fault..end of story.

Also I have met and had some good conversations with interesting people.

I'm solo, don't like to team up, but I know players who have joined clans from chance meetings, made regular friends and play together.

Stay at a distance - for first contact stay behind cover if you want to talk to a stranger. either be ready to fight (armed), or be ready to run (with nothing in your hands you can run faster than a player holding something - usually a weapon, right?). All players run the same speed if you are both empty-handed, so either fight or keep running, he'll get bored -  or something will turn up as you go (other players, for instance). you can talk while you're running too.

If the guy has strange pauses while you talk to him - if he does it twice, then you're SURE -  it's because hes calling his mates on teamspeak.. that means pretty certainly they're on their way. When I spot that, I kill him or leave.. straight away. Makes life easier.

My usual conversation is  "hi friend - I'm peaceful, OK? - if you can see me you know I've got you covered. I'm friendly, but I don't want you any closer. If you want to talk, back off a way and we can talk."

The guy either says something sensible... and things can go from there, with extreme caution on both sides.. or he says rubbish and keeps coming. The difference is easy to spot.

If someone puts away their weapon or sits down, without me asking, then sure we talk.. I don't harm those folk.

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim

It is beyond me that so many people still play this stupid. Especially people who KoS, because they only get KOS'd, but meanwhile complain and hope that some day they have a friendly encounter  :P  You're part of the problem

I have loads and loads and LOADS of friendly encounters. There's a few things you guys should consider and that will help you when you seek friendly interactions:

Before you make contact:

1. Spot them before they spot you, take your time, track them a little bit and watch how they behave.
  2. Check if there's just one guy, or if there's more of them. What gear do they have and do they have their weapons out?
  3. See which way they are traveling, often you can spot buildings in their path which they will highly likely loot, these are ideal spots to catch them off guard, allowing you to take the upper hand.

When you make contact:

1. When you make contact, just start talking how you would be doing irl. "HEY YOU FRIENDLY?!" makes no sense whatsoever.... Just engage in a conversation, chat a bit and take the edge of. 
  2. The more someone uses the word 'friendly', the more on edge you should be.
  3. If someone doesn't talk or takes very long to reply, he's not busy with you, but with something or someone else. This is bad, time to bail.
  4. Play dumb, if you saw that he's with someone else, ask if he's alone. Why would someone lie about this?
  5. Don't ever let yourself get trapped between 2 people. If people keep moving around you and it feels sketchy it probably is. 
  6. Don't hesitate to ask if they can put their weapon on their back, I personally approach people with my weapon on my back usually. 
  7. Don't get comfy when you decide to travel together, keep your eyes on your new 'friend' constantly. 
  8. If you have serious doubts whether someone is friendly or not, say a guy scoping out a city with his mosin, approach behind him. I walk upto him weapon raised and a very clear: "Don't turn around, DO NOT turn around and we'll be good" After that I'd make him disarm, if I have handcuffs I might use those for security reasons..

When you break contact:

1. If it's a friendly ending, you can just run off, keeping your eyes on the guy. Still be prepared to go for cover when he pulls something out. I personally try to break visual contact quickly and make some distance before taking a sec to catch my breath, redo my inventory etc...
  2. If it's hostile: completely depending on the situation. Sometimes I don't visually carry a fire-arm, but have something nice up my sleeve... People tend to go blind and feel like nothing can harm them when a seemingly unarmed bambi runs into a building... Little do they know I'm waiting around the corner with my FNX out :D
  • Like 1

..//..

if ..  it feels sketchy it probably is. 

..//..

That's the Golden Rule there IMO - if it feels sketchy.. it definitely IS .. so make your decisions right now! ( in the next 3 seconds.. 10 seconds is way too long to decide.. trust your instinct)

AND you're so right Toasted Duckie - "friend " is not a good word to hear (or use); yes, it's understood in all languages, BUT usually means - er -  anything at all. Like for instance   "hi, my mate's just coming up behind you with a fire-axe"

Only one thing I'd disagree with you is - I wouldn't wait round the corner with an FNX, I'd wait with a sawed off.

(I don't know if anyone has thought of this, but you can carry two sawed-offs easy enough in your pack if you hang out in rough areas, and get the second out quicker than reloading.. that can really surprise the second guy outside - he's heard you fire both barrels together, or one and one.. he knows the sound - he'll come running straight in.)

(and - while I'm on it -  a derringer don't take up hardly any space at all.. I don't know why players aren't keen on them.. they make a nice surprise pocket gun. it's the extra shot no one knows you've got. But 2 sawnoffs is beautiful)

The whole Toasted Duckie post is a short guide to deliberately meeting people in the Wonderful World of DayZ. Beanz.

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

That's the Golden Rule there IMO - if it feels sketchy.. it definitely IS .. so make your decisions right now! ( in the next 3 seconds.. 10 seconds is way too long to decide.. trust your instinct)

AND you're so right Toasted Duckie - "friend " is not a good word to hear (or use); yes, it's understood in all languages, BUT usually means - er -  anything at all. Like for instance   "hi, my mate's just coming up behind you with a fire-axe"

Only one thing I'd disagree with you is - I wouldn't wait round the corner with an FNX, I'd wait with a sawed off.

(I don't know if anyone has thought of this, but you can carry two sawed-offs easy enough in your pack if you hang out in rough areas, and get the second out quicker than reloading.. that can really surprise the second guy outside - he's heard you fire both barrels together, or one and one.. he knows the sound - he'll come running straight in.)

(and - while I'm on it -  a derringer don't take up hardly any space at all.. I don't know why players aren't keen on them.. they make a nice surprise pocket gun. it's the extra shot no one knows you've got. But 2 sawnoffs is beautiful)

The whole post is a short guide to deliberately meeting people in the Wonderful World of DayZ. Beanz.

xx

I like to keep a shotgun and mosin sawn off in my vest.  Shotty up top and another on standby in the backpack for when the vest takes damage.  Somehow, I manage to ruin a vest about every four hours by aggro-ing a zombie who follows me silently and bum-rushes when I'm crouched in a tree planning my next path.  Obrez is a great panic gun for after your shotgun is empty in tight spaces.

• Like 1

I always say DON'T SHOOT ! , I am but a poor lost Russian Circus performer , Our train broke down along the coast. (So please don't shoot if we meet )

54ad693e-1299-4ac2-b62d-b6a580e01f94_zps

Edited by LoveAffair
  • Like 1

The whole Toasted Duckie post is a short guide to deliberately meeting people in the Wonderful World of DayZ. Beanz.

xx

Thanks bro,

FNX was just an example, when I get the oppertunity I always carry a sawn-off with me. Did not know about the double sawn off :) And you're absolutely right about making a decision quick in those cases! I usually take my time when I'm outsite a town, looking over it for example. But when you mean some sketchy dude who might have a friend around the corner, just stop the conversation and bail. 

• Like 1

I like to keep a shotgun and mosin sawn off in my vest.  Shotty up top and another on standby in the backpack for when the vest takes damage.  Somehow, I manage to ruin a vest about every four hours by aggro-ing a zombie who follows me silently and bum-rushes when I'm crouched in a tree planning my next path.  Obrez is a great panic gun for after your shotgun is empty in tight spaces.

I was suggesting two sawnoffs.. but when I saw your post I decided I was wrong - you get the beanz

I don't know why I never think of the Obrez... I really never thought of it -  I guess if I find a Mosin I usually keep it and throw away my long barrel shotgun, or saw THAT down.. I know it can be done to a Mosin, but I never tried..perhaps because I LIKE the Mosin, just with open sights. Good gun.

But yeahn after some thought about the aiming/reloading advantages on both sides..  you ARE right. I'm going to move over to your tactic. Obrez is a bad gun to meet coming round a corner.

ps - The zombs always go for your pants and your vest. They hate those pocket vests ( - hard wearing? - supposed to be too tough to repair with a sewing kit, right? - that's what they're made for). But they never last.  I one time had a big pristine stone in my vest pocket, A hit from a zomb ruined the vest, and everything in it INCLUDING the stone. One ruined rock! I swear that's a mean punch, most folk would have .. hurt their hand?

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim

I was suggesting two sawnoffs.. but when I saw your post I decided I was wrong - you get the beanz

I don't know why I never think of the Obrez... I really never thought of it -  I guess if I find a Mosin I usually keep it and throw away my long barrel shotgun, or saw THAT down.. I know it can be done to a Mosin, but I never tried..perhaps because I LIKE the Mosin, just with open sights. Good gun.

But yeahn after some thought about the aiming/reloading advantages on both sides..  you ARE right. I'm going to move over to your tactic. Obrez is a bad gun to meet coming round a corner.

ps - The zombs always go for your pants and your vest. They hate those pocket vests ( - hard wearing? - supposed to be too tough to repair with a sewing kit, right? - that's what they're made for). But they never last.  I one time had a big pristine stone in my vest pocket, A hit from a zomb ruined the vest, and everything in it INCLUDING the stone. One ruined rock! I swear that's a mean punch, most folk would have .. hurt their hand?

xx pilgrim

Obrez is a life saver.  Just yesterday I was going for a long run to bring back an extra bag from a prison swim, so I wasn't particularly stealthy.  I had a total of seven zombies aggroed on me.  I found one of those giant barns with the metal stairs on the outside, stopped around the corner with shotgun ready and dropped the first pair.  Had time for one more shotgun reload before I had to go up stairs. Took out two more on stairs and switched to Obrez while backing away from the doorway, and finished them off.  Pulled out regular mosin to pick off the one extra that the gunfire brought in.  My only regret is that bullets apparently don't pass through enemies and still do damage, or I would have dropped the last three with one shot from Obie.

• Like 1

Obrez is a life saver.  

..//..

<< I was suggesting two sawnoffs.. but when I saw your post I decided I was wrong - you get the beanz  >>

In fact I was TOTALLY wrong - carrying 2 sawnoffs does NOT work - its like carrying 2 bandages or 2 bottles, it doesn't matter which comes into your hand, if you try to switch them, they just switch places in your inventory but not in your hand... the inventory does NOT care which is which

EXCEPT -  because of this standard inventory thing  - your 2 sawnoffs only have 2 shells in them altogether..NOT 4 ...  they are both loaded BUT the inventory does NOT make a difference between them.

So Iif you fire one sawnoff twice, the other sawnoff is empty too  -   and if you load one sawnoff, the other sawnoff is loaded too.. .. So you CANT switch sawnoffs .. it just seems like you can.. but in fact you can't.. .. and if you did, there are still only 2 shells TOTAL.    

You can put one sawnoff on the ground and take out the shells - now you have 2 extra shell in your inventory - but now the other sawnoff in your backpack is empty too.. or you can pick up the one of the ground and fire it..   AND now the one in your inventory is empty too... You can LOAD the one on the ground (2 shells gone from the inventory, and BOTH sawnoffs are loaded.. but you still only have 2 shots, then they are both unloaded. So you don't gain or loose shells, but you dont gain or loose sawnoffs either, don't matter how many you have in your pack..

I tried a lot of diffent combinations - no win... So 2 sawnoffs is just taking up space (unless you want to give one to a friend)

They only have 2 shots between them. After 2 shots they are both empty. If you reload one with 2 shells, the other is loaded too..etc..  but you still only have a total of 2 shots.

AND hey - guess how I found this out... ?

.. right .. that's how I found out..

so this is a warning from beyond the grave.. 

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

I am a KOSer... I admit it. I have tried several times to play the hero, with friends as well being hero, but I just get back stabbed. People I run into would say their friendly, but then I would just get KOSed... So, I turned into a bandit.

I have several different play styles, to switch things up I guess.

1) My friends and I in my clan (and others) would spend maybe a few hours and get some gear, such as some AK's, lots of ammunition to do us for a while, SKS, and maybe even a Mosin. We will then go to a small town on the coast, and we will claim that place as our hunting ground. We do this to have fun. Try and getting a little war going on. If we get killed, we try to get back to our bodies in time to get at least a weapon and keep on fighting. We would normally do this until everything is gone, or everyone stopped coming back to due to being spawned to far away or has given up. (which is never the case haha) We have even seen an entire clan (About a dozen of them) running along the shoreline running to us from a long ways off, yes, our sniper could of taken a few of them out, but we decide not too. He might just make a few "pot shots" to scatter them while they are running to us, but thats normally it. If we need more ammo, we hope we kill some people with the ammo we need, or better gear.

2) We will go on "Bambi Adventures" as we call it. Start from nothing, grab whatever weapons and ammo we can while running to a major location, and try to get some better gear off of others, as much as possible, then repeat back to step 1.  :D

3) We will try and hold up some people. We will try and tie them up, strip them naked, and put a pink dress on them with some gum rubber boots, and make them dance for us and such.

4) We use to try and have "Bambi fights". One instance, we was able to get two bambi's tide up. We gave them 2 options, fight to the death, or both get executed. They agreed. We would give the winner a weapon, and a mag with some ammo. Two of them fought, one knocked the other out. It was game over, so I thought. That player spoke, said they were still alive, so I shot them in the ass. I wander over to the other bambi, and gave him a FNX45 with mag, and 2 rounds of ammunition as promised. The other player, said he is still alive still, so the winning bambi walks over, loads the mag with the 2 rounds, and pops him in the head twice. Looks over at me and says "Don't suppose you have any more ammo do you?" I could not help but laugh. Those were good times.

But yes, I do things mainly for the thrill, its exciting to go full on with many other players around, and after you kill one or two, Ive seen them try and get a group together to come back and get us. It gets quite interesting to me and the rest of our group.

I'm friendly and don't really kos unless I think I'm in the shit. If somone is sniping me I will try to track them down. If I see a gun battle I might try to get involved but I never just kill for fun. Last night I got killed as a freshie by two geared players AFTER they gave me food and clothes! Why do this?? I also had a good encounter with another player. He was lost and I helped him out. We ran together for a bit but I tried to keep my distance. I had been following for a while before I moved in to talk to him. I opened the interaction telling him this which I think showed I ment no harm as I could of killed him if that was my thing! On the flip side I did kill a guy with a long shot outside cherno. He had an sks and I'm sure he had been causing trouble as there has been a lot of action in town (that ended in a pretty good gun fight with his buddies). I suppose it just depends on the situation. But I try as much as possible to be good to other players :)