robbyj

Hey... You friendly?

It's interesting how much of an impact DayZ can have on you. I still remember the first time I was killed, some years back.  I felt genuinely sick with shock that someone would kill me when I was unarmed and harmless. They just shot me in the back and ran by. It changed the way I played the game, had a big emotional effect on how I felt about other players, and made me play a much more solo game  But I loved the challenge of changing the way I survive.  Once the game gets into your bones, it's there for good.  :thumbsup:

Also, when I started to play this game most people didn't have mics.  It was all typed.  It was a different challenge.  Now people are much quicker to shoot if they can't hear an immediate vocal response.  

Edited by Sula

No, I'm not.

While I may not be friendly, I'm honest!

I try my best to RP like a member of the old Chenorussian government (complete with a very thick accent). Fresh spawns I may give a can of beans to, but anyone with a weapon is ordered to disarm. Compliance results in likely survival, depending on the location. Failure to comply is a 9x17 round to the back of the head (gotta RP as the cold and calculating government official with a makarov!)

Back on topic, I think people are far too trusting in this game. My general rule of thumb is don't trust anyone but the guys in teamspeak with you. Everyone else is a threat. I can't count the number of groups I've seen fall apart to a spy in their midst. And those are the most dangerous bandits -- the one you can't tell is a bandit. If you get KoS'ed and lose you gear, you probably just shrug it off. Die to a supposed friend who you've played with for a few hours, and your faith in humanity is broken. 

Well, I'm no KoSer, but I will likely shoot you out of sheer annoyance if you don't have a mic. It's just... poor manners.

how would you feel if I told you I was playing on my laptop with a touchpad

"I'm friendly" is used way to often. As other people have posted I prefer to use Hello, do you need some directions? food? water? Sometimes this backfires on me and it ends up being a gun fight. When I'm along the coast and meeting a friend I treat fresh spawns as hostile, even if they say they are friendly. I just would not take the chance that they are going to attempt to knock me out and then kill me. Sometimes I will let them go, but most of the time they will end up following me or attempting to follow me, which is followed by  a quick death for them.

TLDR when along the coast and geared: Fresh spawns have everything to gain and nothing to loose.

"cheers mate, hows goin', do you like latest patch so far? did you read the patch notes by chance?"

works everytime for me. drags people onto a meta level, half of the time confusing them whether there is a new patch they haven't known about.

edit: full disclaimer: as a medic, i usually dont hold a weapon in my hands when approaching people, mostly waving a pristine copy of "Moby Dick" around. might be that this helps too.

Edited by e47
  • Like 2

"cheers mate, hows goin', do you like latest patch so far? did you read the patch notes by chance?"

works everytime for me. drags people onto a meta level, half of the time confusing them whether there is a new patch they haven't known about.

edit: full disclaimer: as a medic, i usually dont hold a weapon in my hands when approaching people, mostly waving a pristine copy of "Moby Dick" around. might be that this helps too.

And the Moby Dick (950 pages) has a 45 slug and 2 Cherokee arrowheads buried in it.. so no point trying to shoot him.

Since his reincarnation, he tends to do the Turkey Dance more than he used to, and anyone in DayZ looking like John Wayne doing the Turkey Dance has got to make you hesitate, right ?

The medical treatment is mainly bone-knife and buffalo sinew, but .. ya know... might as well ? You can trust this man with your life

(only.. you don't know exactly what he's going to do with it)

xx pilgrim

"Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none. When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose lives are filled with the fear of death, so that when time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home."

- Tecumseh

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Generally I get shot and killed, but the other day I was a freshie off the coast and a pair of guys happened upon me while I was looting a shed looking for an axe. They had guns and told me to drop my pack. I obeyed of course and they just took a couple of things and left. At least they let me live. Can't their be honor among thieves. I'll gladly give you whatever you want so I don't have to relive the last 20 minutes starting over.

20 minutes ^ 

How about last 20 hours...

• Like 2

how would you feel if I told you I was playing on my laptop with a touchpad

I would chastise you for not picking a laptop with a built-in microphone :P

20 minutes ^ 

How about last 20 hours...

After about an hour or two I avoid contact at all costs. Or if I happen to have a gun and ammo that match. At that point, I'll probably KoS unless you are moving in the opposite direction.

I would chastise you for not picking a laptop with a built-in microphone :P

I can imagine... but mine doesn't work I swear! I'm pretty quick typing with a keyboard but not when I'm doing the ASDW shuffle trying to avoid getting shot in the face. 

It's actually been a great motivator to stay out of sight out of mind... 

I'm about 70 hrs in and maybe had three good runs of more than a couple hours.  First people I saw were in Electro after looting half the town and power plant, with decent finds.  noticed a commotion from firehouse roof and looked down for about ten seconds before getting shot in the back.  Next was south of Solnichniy and we both sat down after waving and hands up but then he flew off like on an invisible magic carpet. Last two were from the same life; first in Zaprudnoe near the police station, saw a ghillied up guy see me across the street as i opened the front door to leave, we both bolted off in opposite directions after both moving slightly for a better view.  the last was basically a twofer, met a low geared friendly, and offered him a makarov, which he declined; told him about my many gear stashes the server reset was going to destroy, including a military tent.  We decide to loot  the firehouse for bandages on the way out, and as I approach the tower stairs, dude starts talking about a zombie and then I get shot four times by a dude with a rifle who popped in.  He proclaims "DAYE ZEEH!"  I had hi-cap vests and hella ammo, as well as MP5-K and almost enough netting and burlap for a full ghillie.  KOS is fucking stupid when you got hoarders like me who go around like fucking Johnny Appleseed trying to give away instructions to concentrated stashes of ammo and attachments/handguns.  Only explanation is machismo and wanting to ruin someone's day.

I can imagine... but mine doesn't work I swear! I'm pretty quick typing with a keyboard but not when I'm doing the ASDW shuffle trying to avoid getting shot in the face. 

It's actually been a great motivator to stay out of sight out of mind... 

I don't have a microphone either.  Hasn't ever been an issue, nobody has ever hailed me.  They either shoot me or make hand gestures, which is what I do.  I'll make a heart with my hands, if they return it then they are chill (in my experience anyway).

I much prefer "Drop your weapon and get on the floor, if you turn around I'll kill you"

After which you can gauge whether they are friendly and compliant or not.

LMAO, at which point I keep doing whatever it was I was doing. If you're going to shoot you will do it anyway. If not, then I'm already running around the corner.

This is not my experience at all!!

Without exception everyone I meet tries to kill me, no one has ever responded to comms, no one has ever responded to my "friendly" behaviour they will just kill you and rob you.  I do not trust anyone on this game, and consequently the first thing anyone will get from me is a face full of AK74.  I would like to be proved wrong and actually meet somone who will cooperate, but I'm not holding my breath.

Admittedly I have met quite a few random people who didn't try to kill me, (or me them). We bump into each other on the street, chat a bit, then head our separate ways. That VAST majority of the time it has not been so well. %99 of the time I avoid all contact with people in this game. I don't know anyone who plays and I'm not part of a clan so I am lone wolf %100 of the time. The highlighted words above are words to live by when it comes to DayZ.

I actually met a friendly guy today. We just stared at each other for like 20 seconds. Then he got shot by some random guy.

Oh well, it was fun.

• Like 1

I actually met a friendly guy today. We just stared at each other for like 20 seconds. Then he got shot by some random guy.

Oh well, it was fun.

I feel your avatar goes perfectly with that story. 

so.. i get to the military base just north west of stary trying to get a better gun than the one i had (CR527 Carbine).. i peek around the corner and see a dude just running into the south barracks, i waited for him to get further into the barracks before making my way to the doorway.. i peek around the door and aim down the corridor, he pops out looking at loot so i say down the mic "DROP YOUR FUCKING GUN!!".. he shit himself and tried turning around while raising his gun, i took the first shot while he sprayed his sks at me, i leaned back out and nailed him braking his bones.. i now say through the mic "drop your fucking gun or me and my friend will come in and kill you".. he says ""dropped" in chat message.. so i go to the window and check and sure as shit he has dropped his gun and lay on the ground with his hands on his head.. i now say "im coming in, my friend is outside covering me if you try anything he will kill you".. i head in and he starts taking his clothes off, i say to him "im not a bandit i dont want to steel your stuff im just looking for a better gun".. i asked him to come outside where my friend can cover me in a better position, i told him to pick his things up including his gun.. he crawled out and he didnt have the supplies to make a splint to fix his legs so i helped him make a splint and we talked for about 20 mins.. he told me he had no more ammo in his gun which is what he was doing here, he was looking for a new gun, so i switched to my secondary weapon (Repeater) and gave him my ammo for his sks which was not much and also gave him some food and water and even my 1911 with lots of ammo as a token of saying sorry for almost killing him (i felt bad).. i later let him into a little secret that i had no friend watching over me and that i was on my own, i just said that so he would feel out numbered and comply with my requests.. i asked him if he wanted to roll with me and loot together to which he said yes and just as we were about to set off.. the server restarted.. when i joined back in he wasnt there.. goodbye my scottish "friend" :)

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/537387075191939955/ED8EC87C4935318655A97728356BAA1A274EF07A/

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/537387075191943009/C87344CA2B7998F8E5D107D80C752BD7237383E9/

• Like 1

Browsing through the steam forum for no good reason, I found a thread withs someone asking for help, cause he broke his leg on top of a tall building. So I was like, nothing to do anyway..., and ran from NW AF all the way to the tall town hall at novo (NE of the map). He actually was still there and I patched him up. I think we were both equally afrait of catching a bullet. He later asked me if I knew that he could have killed me. I told him "I know, and I knew it back then".

He is a rly bambi, but I think I can teach him enough to make him a usefull buddy. I like to loot military locations in a team of two. Lets see how that works out.

I usually go for a simple "Hello, how're u doin?" when approaching someone. I don't approach anyone with his gun in his hands. So to all the people that wonder why they never meet the friendly people: we friendly folks are just that, friendly, not suicidal ;)

KOSed only once and felt horrible afterwards (not counting the couple of fights at airfields, cause airfields)

• Like 1

He is a rly bambi, but I think I can teach him enough to make him a usefull buddy. I like to loot military locations in a team of two. Lets see how that works out.

lol. send him in first as bait :P haha

Oh well, it was fun.

think that was me, was waiting for you to kill me as always happens and got snipered lol

I never trust someone who says to you "Are you friendly", to me it's always a bad sign for me, case in point was a recent incident while I was doing a NWAF loot run at night, while being attacked by two zombies, ran into a sandbag bunker, immediately had a guy completely dressed in black holding a makarov and the first words that came out were "Hey dude are you friendly?" and then immediately opened fire with his makarov. Luckily he was an extremely bad shot and he never quite expected a spray of buckshot across his face.

I try to play the lone survivalist / Hero Ranger type which has made me learn to detect certain attributes in a persons voice (even down a microphone), from experience I've yet to meet a Bandit who's been able to pull off the "I'm friendly" line without sounding like a complete prick (which they usually are)

Browsing through the steam forum for no good reason, I found a thread withs someone asking for help, cause he broke his leg on top of a tall building. So I was like, nothing to do anyway..., and ran from NW AF all the way to the tall town hall at novo (NE of the map). He actually was still there and I patched him up. I think we were both equally afrait of catching a bullet. He later asked me if I knew that he could have killed me. I told him "I know, and I knew it back then".

I usually go for a simple "Hello, how're u doin?" when approaching someone. I don't approach anyone with his gun in his hands. So to all the people that wonder why they never meet the friendly people: we friendly folks are just that, friendly, not suicidal ;)

KOSed only once and felt horrible afterwards (not counting the couple of fights at airfields, cause airfields)

I always carry two primary weapons, it helps out with transient ammo scarcity; doesn't mean I'm not friendly.  The extra primary could be for you, as I usually have a couple sawed-offs, and either a longhorn or magnum, as well as an automatic pistol.  It's amazing what a few extra pairs of cargo pants can do for your security preparedness.

I'm trying to carry more of my deadly weapons internally- in backpacks or under on my shoulder... I don't want to appear threatening but I do want to be able to defend myself. 

I know "Friendly! I'm friendly!" is the norm, but I always say "Hello? What's up?" or something of the like. If we startle each other, I back away quickly/get out of their space so they-hopefully-know I don't plan on killing them. And then usually part with a "good luck!" if we chatted a little.

"Friendly!" though I know the reasons behind it, etc.; always seems so unnatural.