Sign in to follow this  
Outlawed Psycho

When will SA allow Custom Scripts?

Basically what's said in the title. I mean the game seems like it has been through much improvement since I started playing it again recently! When do you think they (Dev's) will allow people to own servers with custom scripts just like in the mod?

According to the roadmap http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215848-dayz-moving-into-2015/

Q4 2015

• BETA version
  • Animal companions (dog, horse)
  • Steam community integration (Achievements, Steamworks modding, etc)
  • Construction (building shelters / walls / ...)

Q4 of 2015 when we get into Beta, so most likely wont be fully integrated until 2016.

Also, they've said before that it wont be just like the mod, will most likely be more limited to prevent abuse.

Edited by Fluxley

According to the roadmap http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215848-dayz-moving-into-2015/

Q4 of 2015 when we get into Beta, so most likely wont be fully integrated until 2016.

Also, they've said before that it wont be just like the mod, will most likely be more limited to prevent abuse.

I was so happy when I had read that when they released the 2015 roadmap (The limit part). :D

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

Which is a good thing. We don't need the smear of epoch again, thanks.

• Like 4

Because it's bad to have extra options.

• Like 1

Yes it is.

Epoch is what made the mod worth playing. Sorry but its true

when i read your post i heard it in gibson's voice from braveheart lol
  • Like 3

What's wrong with the vanilla mod and what has epoch that makes it so good. Honest question, I haver never played epoch before and Im too lazy to search why is so loved/hated by the community.

What's wrong with the vanilla mod and what has epoch that makes it so good. Honest question, I haver never played epoch before and Im too lazy to search why is so loved/hated by the community.

There is no challenge, you are given weapons and starting gear, survival is not existent, you can give money to the server for top end gear, challenge was removed, is has no affiliation to DayZ, you can build huge gigantic fortresses(with very little effort)

• Like 1

There is no challenge, you are given weapons and starting gear, survival is not existent, you can give money to the server for top end gear, challenge was removed, is has no affiliation to DayZ, you can build huge gigantic fortresses(with very little effort)

Epoch is what makes the Mod not fun for me. All of my friends who had played the Mod begged me to give it a try, but 10 hours in I just didn't have the desire to keep playing it. It takes the "sandbox" aspect to the nth level and changes the game into something else entirely. If that's your thing, great; but it isn't my "thing." Server events were fun, I'll give them that... but it wasn't DayZ, it was like whole other category of game. Think Super Mario -> Mario Kart.

• Like 2

Go tell to a painter that you need more ways to transform his work :)

• Like 2

Go tell to a painter that you need more ways to transform his work :)

Not the best analogy - if he didn't want it transformed he wouldn't be allowing it at all.

Not that I disagree with you, I honestly wouldn't lose sleep if there were no modding no more than I would lose sleep if I knew we'd have mods like Epoch and Overwatch coming some day. However, Rocket himself has shown support for the bigger, more popular mods ala those, and we've never really had the devs address what "limited" means.

For all we know, they could just mean for the beta stage they won't be allowing as much/advanced modding in order to prevent issues such as hacking or exploiting the game files, rather than arbitrary limits like "you can't increase the spawn rate of loot to X number or have X amount of vehicles on the map."

Well I do recall the devs saying that scripts won't be allowed. Which they mean altering loot tables, starting points etc. Mods were confirmed. Do not confuse scripting as modding.

In all games there has to be a limit on things or the game ceases to be what it was designed to do unless it's a game like minecraft. Without limits anything goes, flying unicorns shooting death rays from their horns. Epoch and Overwatch took everything that made DayZ the anti-game, what everyone flocked to play, and turned it into a base building/pvp game like rust. There's nothing wrong with those games, they are fun but they are not DAyZ. In the mods, Zombies were just a nuisance that got in the way of "having fun" and posed absolutely no threat. Barracks and cars were so abundant you might as well have just placed a mall at the start of the map so you could choose your car and weapons and then just headed out.

As DayZ is a game about survival and is meant to be hard and grueling, these "mods" did nothing but fracture the community and turned it into COD.

• Like 2

How does this conversation even make sense - Ok, there's people that like and dislike epoch, but in the end, its better to have all possible options, than too few. I'd rather want to be able to choose what i play if there's the possibility of choise, rather than be forced to one thing over and over until it just gets boring.

What if they re-make epoch on the standalone? No one forces you to play it, you can still go and play on a vanilla server.
And as far i remember not all servers were as described above - unblalanced (too easy to build bases, etc...) and "pay for gear". And there also was slightly modded vanilla servers where you could simply choose the gear you start with should you pay enough that weren't even close to epoch.

• Like 1

over and over until it just gets boring.

You mean like battlefield and cod?

However, Rocket himself has shown support for the bigger, more popular mods 

Rocket supported the mods because they achieved more than he did in a fraction of the time.  If there were no mods, this game wouldn't be here because interest would have died off a long time ago.

Edited by SwitchSL

Epoch was great. Sure it was way too easy, but if you were to take the base building and trading elements from Epoch, made them harder and resources rarer then dropped it into the SA I'd be pretty happy.

• Like 1

I don't have enough beans to give...dang it. Also, I will be heading to cover. :P

So-it-begins-the-great-shitstorm-of-our-

Epoch was great. Sure it was way too easy, but if you were to take the base building and trading elements from Epoch, made them harder and resources rarer then dropped it into the SA I'd be pretty happy.

Pretty much. Take some of the base-building aspects (kinda like the palisade idea I had in another thread), add some impetus for player-led trading and light industry, and season with some roleplay, and you will end up with a pretty good game. 

Pretty much. Take some of the base-building aspects (kinda like the palisade idea I had in another thread), add some impetus for player-led trading and light industry, and season with some roleplay, and you will end up with a pretty good game. 

but no survival game

• Like 1

but no survival game

Why not? As in real life, eventually those things mentioned above will come to pass. The game won't suddenly become supereasy merely because there are trading caravans wandering around Chernarus. People still have to find the raw materials, produce the goods, then persuade the traders to trade with them. They won't just be , "Yah, LOL, here take this AK and all this food for freesies!"

In all reality, Epoch was probably the most realistic (with the exception of the utterly ridiculous structures being built) version of Day Z. 

Shit, even during the Neolithic period, when humanity was very much in "survival mode", as it were, we still had continent-spanning trade routes, organized industries (producing some very technical stuff, like consistent-quality cloth, etc), specialized divisions of labor, and organized tribal communities. All of the above are possible in Day Z, and it doesn't necessarily make it any less of a "survival game".

I must ask, and we do agree on a lot of points; what "activities" do you consider not survival-y enough? For me, farming, light industry, light construction, all can be considered survival activities, as survival is mainly about fear, mostly concerning the future. Just because someone has a small farm with a communally owned tractor doesn't mean he can't have multiple bad harvest, bandits raiding him for food, or a despot taking over the valley through force. To me, those are "survival aspects" as well, and to be quite blunt, I would find the current "loot n' shoot" gameplay of Day Z quite boring if it was ALL we could do. No development, no future plans, just "find and store guns for future PvP".

I find the re-emergence of society from the ashes of the old quite interesting.

• Like 2

I wasn't referring to any of the Non-DayZ "DayZ" Custom Servers like epoch or such... I was thinking something more like Custom spawn control, opening text, or anything else that makes private/custom DayZ SA servers more unique or different.

I also believe that if people want their own setup like Epoch, let em' have it. Just don't integrate the abuse into the actual SA.