bfisher

Nothing reduces PvP KoS like...I don't know...EATING PEOPLE!?!

Human steaks is now on the menu?!!

Yes, yes it is. ;)

• Like 2

So if I kill a woman or fat man I can have breasts on the menu?

seriously though, I don't know why they introduced this - with all the food you can hunt or grow, it's seems hardly worth the effort.

Moobs and potatoes please!

Edited by Jexter

I was planning on starting a topic for a discussion about whether cannibalism was too much annd if it needed to be in the game. While cannibalism is heard of in few survival situations, the situations in DayZ are the magnitude of a stubbed toe in comparison. Some say its a needed thing for some role players, but when you run into ten people playing insanity coming at you woth a knife to harvest your flesh, it can seem a bit much. Does it need a place in a simple survival game dayz? In my opinion, its alright but it needs more consequences. More sickness.

Pretty much. In almost all cases of real world "survival cannibalism" (Where people eat others in order to.....well, not die, vs "ritualistic cannibalism", where the bodies of dead relatives are consumed in a religious rite), the situation was dire enough where if they didn't eat the dead (survival cannibalism happened 99% of the time when the eaten party was already deceased, AKA they weren't killed for food), they themselves would've died soon, having already exhausted all other possible sources of food. Look at the Andes plane crash, or the Donner Party: both happened in extreme climates (winter in the Andes/Rocky mountains), and they had already exhausted ALL other sources of food, including leather, certain bits of clothing, etc.

Now, let us compare this to Day Z. Based upon both what we can see and what we can interact with (vegetable/cereal crops, wild forageables, animals, etc), there is more than enough food to survive, quite comfortably in fact, even if (when, hopefully), the Devs cut back canned food/soda spawns drastically. That, coupled with the moderate temperature of Autumn leading to a moderated basal metabolic rate (require less energy to keep warm than winter temps), would lead to the available food supply being more than enough. 

So, realistically, there would be enough food for everyone in Chernarus, without needing to turn to cannibalism. Would it require work to find, gather, grow, and hunt? Yes. You would, however, at the very least, develop a positive metabolic trend (AKA get more energy from the food than you need to "get" it), and be actually doing pretty well for yourself.

So then, IMHO, cannibalism is an unrealistic, "arcade-y" (Heresy, to one whom realism and authenticity is king), and really unnecessary. Currently, there are no downsides to being a cannibal, besides a fucking creepy laugh-cry noise that the "kiddies" will probably use for S&G. No uncontrollable shaking, no clear tells that say "this guy shouldn't be trusted". Just a noise that apparently is currently bugged to be ambient (last night, some of my clan mates heard it as an ambient noise, while they were all in different parts of the map)

All it does is promote KoS. There is a food and water source available in every town, and yet they make it so other players become little more than walking cows. At least make cannibalism realistically shitty. You should shake like a coke-head on a 4 day low, giggle and cry ALL the time, etc etc.

• Like 4

Pretty much. In almost all cases of real world "survival cannibalism" (Where people eat others in order to.....well, not die, vs "ritualistic cannibalism", where the bodies of dead relatives are consumed in a religious rite), the situation was dire enough where if they didn't eat the dead (survival cannibalism happened 99% of the time when the eaten party was already deceased, AKA they weren't killed for food), they themselves would've died soon, having already exhausted all other possible sources of food. Look at the Andes plane crash, or the Donner Party: both happened in extreme climates (winter in the Andes/Rocky mountains), and they had already exhausted ALL other sources of food, including leather, certain bits of clothing, etc.

Now, let us compare this to Day Z. Based upon both what we can see and what we can interact with (vegetable/cereal crops, wild forageables, animals, etc), there is more than enough food to survive, quite comfortably in fact, even if (when, hopefully), the Devs cut back canned food/soda spawns drastically. That, coupled with the moderate temperature of Autumn leading to a moderated basal metabolic rate (require less energy to keep warm than winter temps), would lead to the available food supply being more than enough. 

So, realistically, there would be enough food for everyone in Chernarus, without needing to turn to cannibalism. Would it require work to find, gather, grow, and hunt? Yes. You would, however, at the very least, develop a positive metabolic trend (AKA get more energy from the food than you need to "get" it), and be actually doing pretty well for yourself.

So then, IMHO, cannibalism is an unrealistic, "arcade-y" (Heresy, to one whom realism and authenticity is king), and really unnecessary. Currently, there are no downsides to being a cannibal, besides a fucking creepy laugh-cry noise that the "kiddies" will probably use for S&G. No uncontrollable shaking, no clear tells that say "this guy shouldn't be trusted". Just a noise that apparently is currently bugged to be ambient (last night, some of my clan mates heard it as an ambient noise, while they were all in different parts of the map)

All it does is promote KoS. There is a food and water source available in every town, and yet they make it so other players become little more than walking cows. At least make cannibalism realistically shitty. You should shake like a coke-head on a 4 day low, giggle and cry ALL the time, etc etc.

This. Its a lot more complex than what I was thinking, but it's the same Idea. Food is too easy for cannibalism to be a viable option. All cases of cannibalism that I've read about have the people already dead from non-murder means before eaten.

I wonder if anyone ever force fed a captive human flesh, then let him go. Him having to explain why he  laughs so much to the next person he meets lol

a paying customer btw....its not like its a your forum if someone doesnt brake the rules of conduct you cant do that 

You aren't paying me anything, infact you have not paid for this Forum whatsoever. This is a community Forum.

Your concerns have been elevated. Leave it at that.

I suppose there is no other way of making you understand this, so I will just send you on a break.

I don't even understand what kind of world your mind is floating in that you think rape is acceptable in any kind of way. That's just plain disgusting.

Wait, but murdering people on sight and eating their corpses is...perfectly acceptable?

Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to see rape in the game (or anywhere else for that matter), but this is a game where nearly everyone shoots each other in the head at first glance. It's not really suitable to climb on the high moral horse here. 

• Like 1

Wait, but murdering people on sight and eating their corpses is...perfectly acceptable?

Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to see rape in the game (or anywhere else for that matter), but this is a game where nearly everyone shoots each other in the head at first glance. It's not really suitable to climb on the high moral horse here. 

Yeah that's the funniest shit for a dev to say. Just goes to show how . . . . . dumb some people can seem after reading what they reply with. *** notice this is NOT a direct insult to said dev just a general observation***

Let's not compare killing people and rape. Let's not compare rape to anything at all shall we? Let's just not discuss rape.

4) Offensive Content:

Material that is sexually or otherwise obscene, racist, or otherwise overly discriminatory is not permitted on these forums. This includes user pictures. Use common sense. We want to show this website to our mums.

Edited by Accolyte
typos op
  • Like 1

We want to show this website to our mums.

Best line in forum ruleset ever written lol

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 1

Let's not compare killing people and rape. Let's not compare rape to anything at all shall we? Let's just not discuss rape.

4) Offensive Content:

Material that is sexually or otherwise obscene, racist, or otherwise overly discriminatory is not permitted on these forums. This includes user pictures. Use common sense. We want to show this website to our mums.

Sure.

Enjoy your cannibalism...

oh, and torture. I forgot the torture. Enjoy the killing, torture and cannibalism. Becuase apparently that's what DayZ is about these days. Psychopath simulator 2k14.

Really, at this point you might as well add rape. And necrophilia. Go all out, why not? There is no moral reason anymore not to. To claim morality in this instance would be an intellectually dishonest argument.

Edited by WindMillStalker

Sure.

Enjoy your cannibalism...

oh, and torture. I forgot the torture. Enjoy the killing, torture and cannibalism. Becuase apparently that's what DayZ is about these days. Psychopath simulator 2k14.

Really, at this point you might as well add rape. And necrophilia. Go all out, why not? There is no moral reason anymore not to. To claim morality in this instance would be an intellectually dishonest argument.

Cannibalism can save you from dying from hunger, therefore it can be rationalized in extreme circumstances. 

What exactly does rape save you from? (that's a rhetorical question, don't answer it)

Why don't you go shout at The Walking Dead because they do cannibalism but stay clear of rape? I honestly don't know what your problem is.

This is my last warning to you. Rape is off limits as per the forum rule I quoted, period.

Edited by Accolyte

Cannibalism can save you from dying from hunger, therefore it can be rationalized in extreme circumstances. 

What exactly does rape save you from? (that's a rhetorical question, don't answer it)

Why don't you go shout at The Walking Dead because they do cannibalism but stay clear of rape? I honestly don't know what your problem is.

This is my last warning to you. Rape is off limits as per the forum rule I quoted, period.

What's the point of force feeding your captives bleach? What's the point of cannibalism when there's food all over the place? 

I reiterate: I'm not advocating the inclusion of rape into the game. At all. But maybe we should look at the other horrors that this game allows you to inflict in the same light.

Edited by WindMillStalker

What's the point of force feeding your captives bleach? What's the point of cannibalism when there's food all over the place? 

The primary purpose of the disinfectant spray (which I assume is what you mean by bleach) is to clean ruined bandages and thus fix them. Since it is a liquid (both in real life and in the ingame code) you can drink it. Some use it as a way of committing suicide, which is a feature requested since the release. The fact that you can force feed it to people is a biproduct of that design.

Loot balancing will take place in beta, expect the amounts of canned food and such will be much lower and you will have to hunt and forage more then.

Edited by Accolyte

I suppose there is no other way of making you understand this, so I will just send you on a break.

I don't even understand what kind of world your mind is floating in that you think rape is acceptable in any kind of way. That's just plain disgusting.

Rape is violence. Murder is violence. One has a higher mortality rate. He may have been trying to make that point, but just in an odd way.