Sign in to follow this  
ibherb

do I have any chance?

ok, my dad said I can use his game, as he doesn't play it in a few months. He said I'll have tuff time because I'm a mute IRL, and game has game voice. I need a link to key functions, and how to chat in game without a voice?

thanks for any help

• Like 2

thanks, it's not that I don't want to talk, just cant since birth.

EDIT: also, I got into game and made a character, played for about 5 mins,  but got a "Message not received for nn sec" and nn started counting up. Now even after quitting game and restarting, cant get into a server, keep getting a "restart" message, if I'm lucky enough to even get a list of servers ...most times blank

Edited by just4me

Sad to hear, don't feel bad though! I don't use my mic aswell, only at some extreme cases or when I will squad play, usually I type at my encounters, you can still play the game by typing, don't lose courage.

Edited by Yazar8
  • Like 1

ok, my dad said I can use his game, as he doesn't play it in a few months. He said I'll have tuff time because I'm a mute IRL, and game has game voice. I need a link to key functions, and how to chat in game without a voice?

thanks for any help

Don't worry about it, people don't talk too much anyway you're more likely to get shot than someone talking to you.

Although you will have trouble making friends in the game most people willing to talk will shoot you just because you don't have a mic, so if you want to play with people you'll have to get lucky or play with some Steam friends. You might find people here to play with anyway.

I'm not a mute but I can't talk to people either because of anxiety so I somewhat feel your pain :P

Enjoyed the game by myself so far so I'm sure you can too.

• Like 3

You won´t have any problems if you cannot talk. There are multiple ways to communicate without voice, the most efficient ones are the F keys. Try out F1 - F8 and check what your character does, you can easily show your intentions with these.

Other than that, press the    -    Button, it will open a chat-window where you can quickly type a couple of words in.

Anyways, i do not talk really much ingame, most of the times the other player starts shooting first (or i start shooting him because i need some loot )

• Like 1

You stand a chance, but not as good of one as someone who can use voice comms, in this game, standing still long enough to type something out, can and will get you killed.

This is of coarse if your on a populated server and in an area such as Elektro/Cherno or a Air/Military Base which are common spots for PvP'rs and people who just want you dead...

I could be wrong but text chat is visible, meaning they can see it on the bottom left corner of their screen at/around 50 meters, while voice comms is heard at/around 80 meters.

You might want to stick to low pop servers until you become comfortable with your surroundings, and seeing someone.

Oh, and whatever you do, never make contact with someone who sees you, make sure you have the upper hand such as you seeing them, and are able to react if they proceed to keep their gun raised or don't respond well to your text.

• Like 1

Unfortunately you may find that people have a hard time trusting you if you don't use your voice. In your case this would seem very harsh, but the fact of the matter is that often when people only type to communicate, it means that they are talking with their friend and telling them what is happening. Try not to take it too personally if you do get killed when you don't use your voice. Although anyone reading this topic might want to take this into account when they meet a player who does not use voice chat. 

I hope this doesn't put you off the game, and I hope other players will be more considerate and less paranoid when people don't use a mic after reading this.

• Like 1

Hi Just4me, not sure what you mean by "mute" (other than unable to speak) but we have had quite a few deaf players in the past who don't use their mics.  Yes it's a challenge, as much of life can be when someone has something extra to deal with but that doesn't mean you won't have fun.  You might like joining a clan or group and getting to know the friendlier players too, as that might be helpful.  Have you looked at the recruiting forum on which groups/clans etc are recruiting?  :thumbsup:

PS if you've any problems finding the right group, don't give up, come back here and let us know. 

Edited by Sula
  • Like 2

yes, by mute I mean I cannot talk ...born with malformed larynx.

But it seems I'll do ok, even if I have to do it alone.

Thanks for all the replies  :)

• Like 5

yes, by mute I mean I cannot talk ...born with malformed larynx.

But it seems I'll do ok, even if I have to do it alone.

Thanks for all the replies  :)

Good luck on your journeys through Chernarus !

• Like 1

I almost always shoot mutes on sight in Chernarus. 

Sorry, m8. 

• Like 1

I almost always shoot mutes on sight in Chernarus. 

Sorry, m8. 

And why?

• Like 1

And why?

If by "why?" you mean "Who was your favorite castaway on Gilligan's Island?" my answer is definitely The Professor. 

• Like 1

If by "why?" you mean "Who was your favorite castaway on Gilligan's Island?" my answer is definitely The Professor. 

Good job for your 500th post. I didn't buy it though.

Why do you shoot the mutes / typers?

Edited by Yazar8
  • Like 1

thanks for any help

Hey buddy, if you ever want someone to run with, let me know. I am always up for an adventure and am on almost every day. 

• Like 2

You may want to consider setting up a custom soundboard for yourself with pre-recorded phrases such as:

1)I'm friendly, don't shoot!

2)DROP YOUR WEAPON

3)GET ON THE FLOOR

4)Mmmm, that's some tasty human

etc...

Then set your microphone to "Line-In", so that your computer audio is outputted through the microphone (I'm pretty sure this is how people spam annoying music in some online games), then use your macros in the backround via some quick keys, like F6-F12 or something like that.

Custom macros were pretty common in 90's games ala Doom and Duke Nukem, etc. If you want, I can help you make some, it should really be very easy to set up.

• Like 3

thanks for any help

You know I don't think it would be that big of a problem just playing in general, just use type chat and gestures. Becareful there are allot of unfreindly players that play. In a group setting like on team speak it may prove to be a challenge, but it would be do able I think.

• Like 1

Alright man, I already figured out an easy way to do a soundboard with custom voice macros. If you are interested, PM and I'll do what I can to help you out

• Like 2

Keep a pen and piece of paper on you at all times with the message, "I am mute, please don't kill me.  PS:  Can I have this note back".  You can then drop on the ground in front of a player and with luck they will pick it up to read it giving you time to put a bullet in their head :D

• Like 1

This has actually come up before, in the mod, about a year ago a lassie had a similar issue which was resolved by using a sound board. I tried doing some searching, but the best I could find was something like this... 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60320627/Cherno%20Journo%20Soundboard.swf
..but I am sure there are far better ones out there.

I'll be honest with you, as someone who didn't have a mic for a month or so, very few people will pay attention to the side chat and rely on a voice to pacify them.

Edited by ricp
  • Like 1

Wow, Jusf4Me that sounds like bad luck. Best of luck with them game. We've some good gamers who would be happy to meet up and join you for a game, maybe help while you learn and practice.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Sula
  • Like 1

Quite a few people who play this game don't have mics, so you should be fine. Just try to type as fast as possible in a tense situation. And type when behind cover whenever possible. Besides, if you do get shot, the guy who shot you would probably do the same thing to someone who uses voice chat.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone ...beans for all  :)      I'm pretty much computer illiterate, so wont be messing with my dad's computer  lol ....  but I seem to be doing ok so far.   Ran into a guy at a military airport hangar. I lowered my gun and typed "Im no danger" and we moved past each other. So it seems not everyone is trigger happy, which is good for me.

• Like 4