ruinerkc

What none of us want to admit

^ thanks hicks .... I honestly have no idea why people think persistence is a problem , I love dropping my stuff down and coming back hours later to see it's still there . The pure PVPers (ones who believe progress towards survival aspects shouldn't happen) will eventually quit when this game is at it's final product, actually having to SURVIVE instead of attacking a newly spawned person who was lucky enough to find a gun and a backpack (don't deny that pvp lovers cuz all of you openly admit to killing ANYONE with a gun and backpack, as if it quells your guilt for killing fresh spawns , yeah right ...)

So these persistence haters/hardcore PVPers will soon either quit because it's too "hard for them" (except for harteman , he "powers through gaming" or whatever he said lawl) , or love persistence as much as I do when all the kinks are worked out and item degradation comes in!

That's no insult that's just the truth seeing as the worries of these guys seem to be something that can only hinder the progress of the standalone, it's like they would rather just go back to the mod and have no progress towards a better game , which by all means if they are looking for a pvp fest disguised as a survival sim then go play one of arma 3's "zombie survival" mods .

• Like 1

Nope, I am here for survival, not for "only" PvP.

I can survive with a bow (made of rope and an ash stick), arrows (made of sticks and feathers), a backpack (made with rope, burlap sack, sticks), an axe, a knife, and matches. Everything else is "extra".

Proptip: I've found everything I need to make the above list in Solnichny, on a persistent server, that has been full for 3 hours. Thing is, you actually have to work for things. Terrible, huh?

Persistence IS realistic, btw.

This.

You just listed off the most important items in the game except you forgot the can opener ;)

It's amazing what you will find in a city that's been ransacked - it's like everyone checks the same places, then after several empty houses give up and move on but every time I've done a thorough search of an area I always find something people have missed.

I haven't played for a couple of months, are there enough chickens for arrows?

This.

You just listed off the most important items in the game except you forgot the can opener ;)

It's amazing what you will find in a city that's been ransacked - it's like everyone checks the same places, then after several empty houses give up and move on but every time I've done a thorough search of an area I always find something people have missed.

I haven't played for a couple of months, are there enough chickens for arrows?

You can actually find feathers in chicken coops, now, no actual chickens needed.

They are the little box-sheds you find in backyards, the ones with ramps going up to a little door. Just walk up and use the action command, and you will search for feathers. You get one at a time, but they stack, and it has a pretty high success rate.

It is for that reason that I support all new players making and using the bow. If you have the materials, you have no reason to complain about being unarmed. I've made 20 arrows in 5 minutes.

• Like 1

Actually you are right. I am playing (mostly) deathmatch in a survival game and the if loot persistence will ever be forced and coastal cities will be stripped of loot, that could be my last day of playing DayZ (which will really, but really suck).

However, a significant percentage of DayZ players play like this, since I always have a lot of people to pvp with in the coastal cities. I`m pretty sure that the devs are aware of it and probably wouldn't want people to stop playing the game (and stop recommending it to their gamer friends). I think the best way to keep everyone happy would just be to make a hardcore mode, or the opposite - hardcore by default and make "easy mode" for anyone interested. Just don't be surprised if there will be more people playing the "easy mode".

Also one more thing I`d like to point out, DayZ (at least for me) pretty much has the ultimate pvp concept. And here's why (a copy from my post on the KOS topic):

*Gritty and realistic setting (future setting\fantasy games are generally a huge turn off for me)

*Everyone versus everyone unless you decide to team up with someone

*You can communicate with\rob other players without having to kill them

*Massive and open map (ok, I don't really care about massive, but the openness of the map just beats any other game)

*You spawn unarmed

*You have to find guns,ammo and magazines

If you know another game that has all (or at least most) of these points - please introduce me to it. I`m kind of mindblown that all the DayZ clones out there stick to the survival side, and not the ridiculously simple but great pvp concept.

Nope - I think the people that actually want to play this game type can't wait for the people that want to just PVP to leave. It's like if I go to watch a movie or read a book, I expect comedy from a comedy but in your world, you want me to watch a horror.

• Like 1

The whining answer to your question is that all the berry pickers think it will ruin "their" game, because everyone will play "ez" mode.  But if everyone wants to play a certain way because it is more fun to them, why should we cater to the minority?  Give them their berry picking mode and let us have our normal mode.

Yup, which is why I play the way I do right now.  Right now, I am playing the game as I see fit.  Tomorrow, I will play the game as I see fit.  But you do realize, most of the guys who like playing in the woods with berries right now, they can't handle a difficulty increase.  Most of those guys have issues killing zombies as it stands right now.  If you crank the difficulty, all you will have left is guys like me, who can swing it.  All you ancient gamers are gonna be in for a rude awakening when easy pickings go away.  I power game.  Throw whatever you got at me, I'll figure out how to gain advantage.

I'm in this one for the long haul fellas.  I'm not going anywhere, and I bring more people to the game all the time.  I have already sold 5 copies of the game by word of mouth.  All those copies were sold to guys just like me.  Our ranks grow and grow.  We play to get your tears.  We will have them.

I've killed a hundred noobs like you.....Then I wander back into the forest, or the next town...wherever I need to go to get my next lot of supplies. Berries are real tasty too - I eat the blue ones because I'm tough as nails would you like some? I also let zombies spit in my mouth just to test my immune system and I use the alcoholic tincture as a suppository..... :P

Seriously, don't go around talking shit about things you don't know about. The game in it's current state is so easy it's boring so let's wait until release to see who is eating tomatoes from their greenhouse outside of Vybor and who is being used for fertilizer!

lol :)

You can actually find feathers in chicken coops, now, no actual chickens needed.

They are the little box-sheds you find in backyards, the ones with ramps going up to a little door. Just walk up and use the action command, and you will search for feathers. You get one at a time, but they stack, and it has a pretty high success rate.

It is for that reason that I support all new players making and using the bow. If you have the materials, you have no reason to complain about being unarmed. I've made 20 arrows in 5 minutes.

OK when I get home tonight I'm loading up DayZ - I want me a bow! I need an axe dammit I traded one for a hoe....

wait a minute, this is weird, to make my tomatoes...... grow

That's the god's honest truth, bro,

and no,

A poem at the time of writing this was not my intention

it just formed itself, like a self creating invention!

But moving on as I lack the time,

I know I'll need some string or vine,

To make my bow and add a stick,

But finding one I'm rather thick,

Do I chop a tree or just grope some bush?

Either way it's all good.

I just need wood....

and string.

maybe a feather or two

Edited by Jexter
  • Like 2

I wish there was more useful threads out there, I shall keep searching.

You can start making a difference by making useful comments?

• Like 3

Persistence is a core pillar of the DayZ project. Thus it will not, and can not be "removed". 

Thats really the final point on it, anything past that is just people discussing their personal opinions.

Hi Hicks,

I think the reason this thread was started was a mis-understanding or lack of knowledge of the difference between persistence and none persistence servers. Also just how the servers work in general. I for one think it has its place. I don't think some players know, that just because there’s no loot on one server, doesn’t mean there’s none spawning on others. Persistence plays a huge role in that. I'm finding that when it comes to DayZ performance, spawning to weather varys server to server. So really its all about server selection. I look at stuff like ping, bandwidth and if it’s persistent or not when selecting a server to play on. It can solve a host of issues; some consider bugs or broken game mechanics.

I think sometimes people think it’s a game all about tactics and survival. There’s also allot that you have to know about game mechanics, server types and bandwidth as well, which can totally effect game play. Maybe after alpha it will not be an issue, but right now its def something player should be mindful of. It’s the source of allot this broken this and broken that threads. Much of it can be avoided just by good server selection.  

Edited by CJFlint

While I agree that it's nonsensical asking to remove a feature/game mechanic because it does not work as intended during an alpha-test, I understand OP's concerns about persistance. Yes, it's too early to call it a failure and yes, it's too early to moan pretending a perfectly working feature...but it still doesn't work and while we have seen some (VERY) slight improvements thanks to latest patches, on a broader term we can say it's not a working mechanic since its introduction.

I hope the devs will be able to sort things out, because I feel persistence is a valuable asset for this game...but I fear the issue is not related to some technical problem, but more likely to the current idea/design of how persistance and item spawn/respawn should work. Time will tell.

• Like 1

I`m with OP on this one. And honestly? I`m not hiding that I don't want to search for loot off coast. I want to get a gun with some ammo and jump in the hell people sometimes call "Berezino". People want to explore the map and live in peace and harmony with the environment? Enjoy yourselves, but please don't spoil my fun.

Dude, play one of the DayZ mods, Epoch or Overwatch (or the combo, Overpoch which is my favorite right now).

DayZ SA was never supposed to be this game of roving a-holes who KOS everyone for no reason. Get into a game which actually supports this playstyle.

As for losing customers who like this? Good. That means BI is sticking to their guns and moving forward with their original vision, rather than selling out to the CoD crowd.

• Like 1

Dude, play one of the DayZ mods, Epoch or Overwatch (or the combo, Overpoch which is my favorite right now).

DayZ SA was never supposed to be this game of roving a-holes who KOS everyone for no reason. Get into a game which actually supports this playstyle.

As for losing customers who like this? Good. That means BI is sticking to their guns and moving forward with their original vision, rather than selling out to the CoD crowd.

Thanks, but really, let the players decide how this game is to be played.  I don't need my mom, dad, Dean Hall, or god telling me jack about how 

I am going to have fun.  How I have fun is a personal decision, best not left to others to decide.

Dude, go on a populated server to one of the pvp cities and just see how many people are shooting each other, force feeding each other stuff and just generally dicking around. I don't know if we are the majority, but there sure are a lot of us.

While it could originally be intended for berry picking, hunting and whatever, you can't deny that what made the game REALLY popular is the sandbox pvp aspect. Saying "fuck you" to that is just not a good idea.

I want to kill or be killed by other players because it might mean the difference between one of our characters getting that piece of loot that lets them survive another hour.  Not just because some 13 year old dipshits find it funny.

That said, I think the PvP dipshits have a place.  The post apocalypse needs amoral psychotic thugs who will shoot you on sight because they are scared, defending their turf, desperate or just think it's funny.

And really, I've encountered enough of a mix of friendlies, bandits and in betweens that I am satisfied with the player interactions.

I want to kill or be killed by other players because it might mean the difference between one of our characters getting that piece of loot that lets them survive another hour.  Not just because some 13 year old dipshits find it funny.

That said, I think the PvP dipshits have a place.  The post apocalypse needs amoral psychotic thugs who will shoot you on sight because they are scared, defending their turf, desperate or just think it's funny.

And really, I've encountered enough of a mix of friendlies, bandits and in betweens that I am satisfied with the player interactions.

Ahhh but you see, no one wants to take pvp away, it's the pvp'ers who want to take survival away because it's gets in the way of their pvp ;).  They come up with stupid excuses such as, "let the players decide how this game is to be played"

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 4

Ahhh but you see, no one wants to take pvp away, it's the pvp'ers who want to take survival away because it's gets in the way of their pvp ;).  They come up with stupid excuses such as, "let the players decide how this game is to be played"

Exactly. I enjoy some well directioned PvP , it was and always will be a strong factor in Dayz !! I dont think anyone here who wants the game to be the survival game its advertised to be to not feature PvP. I just wish i could say the same about the THIS GAME IS JUST PVP crowd being willing to have survival features in a survival game!!!

Thanks, but really, let the players decide how this game is to be played. I don't need my mom, dad, Dean Hall, or god telling me jack about how

I am going to have fun. How I have fun is a personal decision, best not left to others to decide.

Yeah, as long as it coincides with your ideals?

The issue is that, as Caboose below me stated, I'm not asking for PvP to be removed. I'm simplu stating that I'll be happy if the dev team steers the game un a direction that makes it incredibly time and effort very inefficient to play in such a style.

Heck, even in Overpoch it can be very obnoxious to fire off a gun at random people because you get swarmed. Sure, zeds don't do too much damage and there are bugs that were turned into "features" that let you deal with it, but being an Elektro sniper with anything unsuppressed can be disasterous.

If the game, at launch, continues to be "get geared and PvP because there's nothing else to do", then the game has failed IMO.

• Like 5

Thanks, but really, let the players decide how this game is to be played.  I don't need my mom, dad, Dean Hall, or god telling me jack about how 

I am going to have fun.  How I have fun is a personal decision, best not left to others to decide.

No. Never let the players decide anything, that's one great way of losing your core game values and I'll try to explain why I think that is.

I think Dean is a bit of a visionary in that he has a vision for his game and future games and when you have a vision, you want your game to play out a certain way. Games today are so much more than they were when we were all kids. Today's games are more experience's, more like movies. People probably don't realise it but games are a medium as powerful as books or films, in that you can say something with them. Some games are made purely for profit by greedy corporations too, but then so are movies and books.

I have a mate that plays Archeage. I've never liked MMO's but looking at this one I was going to give it a go. All that changed when they let cheaters keep their ill gotten gains and started throwing the things you work for onto the market where you can just buy them. On their forums they're arguing about "my right to buy what I want" vs. "my right to put in hard work to get that item" - selling it just makes working for it pointless.

Now, both parties are "playing the game how they want" but if you want to farm polar bears to get a mount, that has just been made trivial and pointless. This isn't the only thing and it is directly affecting the game and people are leaving. You can't have carte blanche to play however you want because sometimes it works against the game you're playing. 1 month after release (and tbh, it's more the game devs fault than anything) and people are leaving what was probably, or going to be, the greatest MMO to date. The stories my friend told me of battling for a castle, rampaging across the seas sound amazing but I'm not even going to bother now because of the direction the game is now going. Pity that :(

No but you do need Dean Hall (or his successor) to build a game for you.  And the game they are working on is a sandbox where you can do what you want, subject to the survival rules of the sandbox.  If you want a game where you just run around blasting other players, this probably isn't for you.  And that's fine.  There are plenty of FPS games that don't burden you with having to find food, water and shelter. 

• Like 2

I guess that is my point, I do not think persistence can be fixed and that is why as a whole it does not exist in games.  There are too many problems to overcome to be workable.

Such as?

The only issue you seem to mention was that you didnt want people to loot cycle. The fix is that items will not respawn until another item is used/destroyed and only then after a period of time and random place, also checking to make sure the place is not currently saturated with loot. This will also involve a check on the type, number, and quality of existing items as to better manage loot economy.

I am afraid you may just be short sighted or afraid of a little hard work. There are no problems that are un-workable.

Edited by Judopunch
  • Like 1