Sign in to follow this  
rickyriot

Has anyone found themselves locked in yet?

I was setting myself to log out, so I sorted out my gear and headed to the pub. I had a lockpick so headed to the top room and decided to lock all the doors behind me giving me a little extra cover in case there were people around who had decided to follow me - I presume there is still a 30 second delay between clicking exit and your character disappearing from the server.

Anyway, this got me thinking. As far as I know the only way to unlock a door is via an axe or a lockpick. There might be other ways but I tried shooting one once and it didn't open. I am sure I am not the only person to use a house as a location to log out and I wondered what would happen if you had logged out with neither axe nor lockpick (or any other object to open them if it's possible) and logged in to find yourself into a locked room. 

Has this happened to anyone yet? I am not sure how persistent the door locking is, but I suppose this is a possibility. If so, what would you do? Providing lockpicks/locking of doors it also introduces the situation where you have windows which in real life you would just climb out of, but in the game this is not possible.

Lockpick.png

You can punch a door open, takes alot of punches but it will open so you cant get locked in...

• Like 1

You can punch a door open, takes alot of punches but it will open so you cant get locked in...

Punching doesn't seem the most obvious of mechanics to handle that. After all, in real life, if you were to come up against a locked door you'd put your shoulder to it rather than punching.

That said, it's good to know you can't be completely trapped.

• Like 1

Punching is an obvious option because they've not implemented kicking. Those old crappy communist doors and door jams come apart like butter with a solid kick...

Punching is an obvious option because they've not implemented kicking. Those old crappy communist doors and door jams come apart like butter with a solid kick...

With persistence now active, perhaps broken doors if you have to manually break out of them. Which, conversely, could lead into the barricading mechanics to fix them.

Luckily..I got a BJ from a zombie and I "came" away with the ability to move through doors like the SA zombies of old B) so cant lock ME in

• Like 2

what's needed is a kick animation.

kick in doors

kick player off top of building

the possibilities are endless

• Like 1

just log out, go to another server. Save your fists to another time

^^^This.

THIS!!!! 

Server crashed with me inside a prision. Instead of waiting, I logged into another server and found myself inside a locked down prision. No worries, I had a lockpick, but also an axe, one hit with it, I was free to go. You can break locks with literally anything, even screwdrivers or bare hands.

Punching doesn't seem the most obvious of mechanics to handle that. After all, in real life, if you were to come up against a locked door you'd put your shoulder to it rather than punching.

Yeah hardly ideal, but i am not sure we will get a shouldering animation ( i have wanted a decent door opening and climbing off ladder animation out of BIS for so long lol i wouldnt dare hope for a shouldering animation....)

Any melee. Fists, anything. 

Guns will shoot the door unlocked. You must shoot it either enough, or in the right spot.. but Ive seen it done and done it myself several times. 

Don't shoulder the door, it is a good way to damage a very sensitive joint if you impact wrong.

http://www.wikihow.com/Kick-Down-a-Door

You can shoot it open as well, lower the caliber the more shots it will take.  Ak, Mosin, M4 all seem to do it in one.  Think my teammates are tired of me saying "Unlocking door" and then opening fire, but that lockpick takes up valuable space.  Gotta save my space for Zucchini's, so damned tasty and sexy.

This isn't football. No shoulder padding. If you want a dislocated arm then that is a good way. Kicking just to the side of the knob is the best way to breach a door. Doors are usually hollowed out for the knob and lock mechanism and a door is most structurally vulnerable there. If you have a shotgun you can pepper the hinges and the door usually falls right out.

I haven't been locked in but I've locked assailants out. He ended up shooting the lock out to try and scare my buddy and I out.

Funny enough, I found out that I could just relock the door. He got confused and was later gunned down by reinforcements.

Right, well it seems I was just cack-handed when it came to shooting the lock as it never worked for me, perhaps I didn't shoot it enough but it wasn't giving me enough encouragement to suggest it was working.

I found an interesting bug where if a zombie is at a locked door and you axe it unlocked, then open it, the zombie will just sit and stare at you as if the door is still locked. Could be a one off but it happened to me just there.

As for persistence, it's surprising how long a locked door lasts. When I had posted this thread I had locked myself into the pub at Polana, which is a fairly busy town (in relation) and before that I had also done a bit of trolling and locked the supermarket (all doors) and the 'piano house'. So that was at least 12 hours ago and the server I was playing on has a 3hr reboot sequence, meaning at least 4 reboots. When I logged back in this morning (it's lunchtime now) all the doors were still locked except on door to the piano house which was busted. 

Obviously with the supermarket it was purely trollsome as you can simply vault through the window.

I've never been locked in myself but a few days ago I was running through Kamywobo (or whatever) and found a dude just standing in the jail cell of the police station, knlgamer his name was, he didn't respond to voice or text so I shot him in the leg twice with the pump shotgun, it did nothing but ruin his pants and make him groan (is that shotgun weak as all or is it just me?). I stood there thinking of what to do with this man and then I felt a sort of fondness of him, he was the first player I'd seen in hours so I stuck him with the stun baton four times (which did nothing) and then I put that away and punched him in the face once causing him to collapse instantly, fists for the win. I handcuffed him, bandaged him, undressed him, and force fed him all of the food in my inventory, I then gathered all of the food from the town and force fed him that, knlgamer was a tough sort of man, never spoke, never moved. I then felt rather guilty for the abhorrent way I had treated my new friend so I went out and found all new clothes for him, I gave him cargo pants and a hoodie, a nice little red cap and a good pair of hiking boots, I filled his inventory with splints, food, and other basic supplies. I left 60 rounds of .357 magnum on him and locked him in the jail cell, I placed a sledge hammer and a repeater just across the room out of his reach and locked the rest of the doors and left. If he ever came back from his AFK adventure then he likely was not pleased to find himself handcuffed with a broken leg locked inside a police station.

Wn9FhZS.jpg

a4PXyUX.jpg

fMAD4Mc.jpg

duEdtyr.jpg

PdPNcWh.jpg

• Like 2

just log out, go to another server. Save your fists to another time

^^^This.

THIS!!!! 

Private shards though.  :(

• Like 1

I stood there thinking of what to do with this man and then I felt a sort of fondness of him, he was the first player I'd seen in hours so I stuck him with the stun baton four times (which did nothing) and then I put that away and punched him in the face once causing him to collapse instantly, fists for the win.

I felt a sort of fondness of him ...

so I stuck him with the stun baton four times ...

then I put that away and punched him in the face

mother-of-god-meme.png

Edited by ricp
  • Like 2

Is this icon what you see when you try to open a locked door?  I haven't encountered one yet.

Yeah. If you have a lock pick (edit: in your hands) and you use the mouse wheel, you'll get two options on a closed door; open and lock.

Edited by ricp