OoohShiny

What can i do if i dont trust anybody?

So i played another round of DayZ and everything went really well. At some point i decided heading north and trying to locate the national airport. On the way there i met couple fellow player - a sniper, heading the same way, we talked and decided not to shoot another. However, he said i should go in front of him, for safety. I did as told, but after a while i lost him and didnt find him again.

Later in some castle ruins i met another one, far less equiped than me, and i said "stay cool", and again wie talked, walked for a bit, and split up. In the next Town we met again, he put his weapon away, i did so with mine, and he walked away again. I considered we would be done and kept looting, until he was suddenly with a shotgun right behind me and shot me down.

Am i supposed to kill anybody, no matter how minor the threat is? Is it 100% forbidden to let anybody live who COULD have better equip than me? Or in that case, even kill those who have less equipment?
It is kind of retarded, it really is. The last thing in a postapocalyptic scenario would be "i shoot everybody on sight", the zombies need to be way more dangerous. Because right now, they are 100% not enough of a threat to let people seriously consider temporarily teaming up.

The people who shoot you are either

A. Bandits making you comfortable so that you let you your guard down.

B. People thinking exactly what you are, except they follow through with it. I'd say 90% of KoS is out of fear of dying.

Don't lose hope. There's lots of cool people out there too, you just gotta have faith. If you'd rather not take the chance, just stay out of sight, which is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 2

KoS is something everyone struggles with (unless they just take the Kill-um-all mentality right away). Some people argue that it is how it is in the real world, but honestly it is a small portion of society that immediately turns to the insanity of killing everyone they see in such crisis'. DayZ seems plagued with people who all have the mentality of other FPS games. They grow bored with evading zombies and think that the only other thing to do is kill the people around them for the 'challenge' or even just to save themselves effort on finding gear.

My advice is to give people some benefit of the doubt and accept that you are going to get shot for it sometimes. Judge people carefully. I only keep a few people around me for more than a few minutes and mostly only after they have proven themselves more than once when they had a chance to kill me without risk to themselves. The rest of the time I act fairly and am more or less friendly, but once our conversation and/or trading is done, I ask them to part ways and carefully monitor where they go. I myself move well away and watch my tail to see if they have decided to reverse and track me.

In the end, it is up to you to decide how often you pull the trigger and how much of your humanity you give up in the game.

• Like 5

It's a good feeling when you meet another player and then leave one another in peace and maybe even help each other out... But it's not without it's dangers. If I find mayself in a low danger area OR if I find an lightly armed/unarmed player I will try to spare their life and maybe even help out if i can do so with little risk. Having the drop on somebody makes it less difficult to be nice I'll give them some food and perhaps some gear but keep them at a distance and under shot. If I have my doubts or they don't follow instructions, they are toast.

It is often easier to be nice if you are in a small group. Then one can keep an eye on the person while the other helps out. What ever you do, don't give them a weapon. Or if you feel you absolutely must, give them the gun and agree to plave the ammo in a house down the road and then make like the shepard and get the flock out of there.

Now I say "small group" because I feel that once a group get too big it tends to turn into a contest to up the body count. as long as it is only two or three players the gang mentality  is less likely to take hold.

In many cases you come across other players totally by accident. Walk into a room or come around the corner and find yourself nose to nose with someone. Unless they are a total bambi or haven't seen you so you have the drop on them, I say waste em.

The safest way to play nice is to travel in a group and use team speak or similar to stay in contact. MY personal rule is be nice if you can but take no chances.

Edited by FishGuts4Lunch
  • Like 2

Typically I stay away from towns and just watch.  You can learn a lot about someone by the way they act.  If they're running around in the open with their gun out, they're probably inexperienced. That doesn't mean that they won't shoot you to nab your gear.  Like Gecko said, it's a good idea to just stay out of sight. Every time you see a player there doesn't need to be a confrontation. You can't know if they have buddies in the underbrush somewhere.  A person's mentality changes entirely when they're in a group.

• Like 2

i think, with the .50 patch, i have met more friendly people than in any other patch, simply cos of the scarcity of ammunition, and it is not worth wasting bullets on people anymore. so many friendly, fully geared military guys. but that is just me. always be careful around other players.

• Like 1

Guessing how people will react to surprise human contact is a challenging aspect of the game. Recently I tailed a guy who only drew his gun before entering a building and put it away after carefully checking his exit was clear. I watched him aim at another looter, then let him go. So I decided the risk of making contact was worth it and approached him. I asked from a safe distance if he needed anything. (He had regular clothes and a child's backpack.) He opened fire so I put him down. The level of unpredictability in this game is nerve-wracking and addictive.

Another option in addition to all the good comments above is finding like-minded players in the Recruitment section here. It lists a wide variety of teams, clans and communities that update constantly.

• Like 1

On hardcore i found that it's more easy to find friendly ppl, especially on 10-15 players servers ! 

KOS is part of a valid game play.  The main problem as the game is right now, is the lack of depth.  Once you have played regularly it becomes the same cycle: spawn, gear up, run, run again, killed or get killed....spawn....rinse until done. 

I have found good people, really bad ones and everything in between.  Don´t give up hope and enjoy!

cheers

• Like 2

I don't really understand why people think the only way to entertain themselves after gearing up is KOSing. To be honest, player interaction is a lot more entertaining than sniping someone in the head who didn't even see them. And if people are so afraid of player interaction that they just shoot everybody, they're honestly missing out on half of what DayZ is, or at least is supposed to be. A successful interaction with another player is a lot more satisfying than putting a bullet in someone's head. That's just how it is for me anyway. If people are entertained by treating the game like a COD deathmatch and never talk to a single player aside from their friends, hey, that's their choice.

• Like 1

Keep your head on a swivel and verbally engage of you see someone. I try to avoid groups of 3 or more, and try to stay out of sight before i use myic

I start with a "hello" or a "how's igoing?", and ask if they need anything, helping of i can, or two then if came across gear or food they're looking for. If they draw, flee while assuring then that I'm not looking for a fight.

Your appearance seems to play a role in how intetactions go. Don't cover your face, travel with empty hands or a melee weapon out, and verbally communicate.

As the game progresses and folks have more interactions with others, the Kos rate seems to be going down if you're not in a military base. In my experience anyway. One common thing that comes up after a short chat is that we're glad to have an encounter not end in murder.

But there will always be dicks. Once you generally stop caring about losing your gear, you can take these chances.

• Like 1

COD deathmatch

10th post, I think this is a new record. Usually it happens at 1st-3rd.

Edited by Geckofrog7

10th post, I think this is a new record. Usually it happens at 1st-3rd.

It's simply an expression used to describe what people do in this game. Would you prefer I called it a Halo death match or something?

I barely run into someone, I mostly see them from the distance then just watching what they're doing. I wouldn't suggest trusting anyone in military zones as those places are well known as pvp zones where people just kos. If you happen to see someone and want to interact with them I suggest making sure you have an advantage and always have plan B incase things go south. Make sure to lead the conversation and tell them to drop their guns. While it can cause a mistrust from the early start atleast you're sure that you're the person in lead here and can present yourself as a nice guy. But I think of these method as more agressive one which I would suggest to use in military zones, but if you happen to find someone in some random village, running with your gun on your back and trying to communicate should be fine as well. Thing is you'll never know how the situation might progress so it can happen for you to die sometimes but trust me it's worth the try as human interaction in this game is hell of a fun.

Edited by Miracool

It's simply an expression used to describe what people do in this game. Would you prefer I called it a Halo death match or something?

Nah I just find it interesting that call of duty is basically the video game equivalent of hitler.

Basically, whenever you want to make a bad comparison about a game, it's always cod...even though Halo, Counter Strike, Quake, Team Fortress 2, and others have much the same fast paced shooting gameplay, but they're viewed as relics. It just seems that cod is used a common knee-jerk reaction on the forums, a lot of time for good reason, like in your case, but sometimes without thinking twice about it in the case of others.

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 1

Nah I just find it interesting that call of duty is basically the video game equivalent of hitler.

Basically, whenever you want to make a bad comparison about a game, it's always cod...even though Halo, Counter Strike, Quake, Team Fortress 2, and others have much the same fast paced shooting gameplay, but they're viewed as relics. It just seems that cod is used a common knee-jerk reaction on the forums, a lot of time for good reason, like in your case, but sometimes without thinking twice about it in the case of others.

I have no issue with COD, other than I find it a bit repetitive, but that's just my personal opinion. It's just normally used as the game to describe that type of game. Sure, it's perfectly valid to use games like Halo or Team Fortress 2, but COD is the most widely used example. Besides, I wasn't saying anything bad about it (Although I don't see why it'd be wrong of me to do that), I was just saying some people treat DayZ like it's COD where there's not really any player interaction and there's not much to it aside from shooting people. People who don't think twice about saying that aren't bad people for not liking COD or something though.

You can try to find a RP community if it suit you. Generally they are enforcing rules that promote interactions between players and not allow to KOS (you can still kill people but you have to engage them first with words before you shoot without warning).

This is a community I've just met. http://www.falcondayzrp.com

Right now their server is not up because they are waiting for private shard and whitelisting. You can still go to have a look on their forum and rules.

You can try to find a RP community if it suit you. Generally they are enforcing rules that promote interactions between players and not allow to KOS (you can still kill people but you have to engage them first with words before you shoot without warning).

This is a community I've just met. http://www.falcondayzrp.com

Right now their server is not up because they are waiting for private shard and whitelisting. You can still go to have a look on their forum and rules.

Falcon lovers unite

Please join my new sniper clan falcon loversxxxXxXx

only if you are a pro

and can do 360 no scope

don't hate

peace

^_^

Edited by Zing Freelancer

... call of duty is basically the video game equivalent of hitler ...

I needed a laugh. Geckofrog's Law instead of Godwin's Law. xD

A true relic imo is Enemy Territory. I loved that game, always played on the Tiger Town server.

Edited by whiskeytango

I've made a few friends through the DayZ mod that I play DayZ and other games with after we shared TS information. Other than having a small chance of making a friend there is absolutely no reason to not shoot anyone you see. You don't lose out on anything.

I shoot first and assert my dominance, if they are still alive/ unconscious after that Ill patch them up and they are free to go... most of they time they will run away and if they are clever, not come back looking for me :P

Falcon lovers unite

Please join my new sniper clan falcon loversxxxXxXx

only if you are a pro

and can do 360 no scope

don't hate

peace

^_^

Unfortunately I can't say that I'm a pro sniper... Lack the skill and the patience.

Not trusting anybody is your choice.

I trusted somebody I met today, and we're Steam friends now. Met him in Svergino.

Not everybody is a murderer, and if you treat everybody like they're one, that makes you the murderer. 

• Like 1

Ya know, I used to have this problem until I just decided to say, "Fuck it."

For the longest time I would only play on low pop servers. I would get fully geared with EVERYTHING and then run around on a server with like 3 people on it. :rolleyes:

No fun in that.

I took about a month break and decided to play again but this time I joined a server that was just about completely full. I ran around, got a little bit of gear, then stopped by a car to search it and boom, "You are Dead". :D

I respawned and started over again. Got a little bit of loot, met a couple guys, chatted for a few minutes then we went on our separate ways. I logged out in the piano house.

This morning I logged back in and there was a kitted guy in the room with me. He was all in a panic because I had a shotgun on my back while he had his AK pointed at my face. He kept saying for me to put my gun on the ground and I just told him if you move I will just leave and get out of his way.

His reply: "Fuck you, bitch."

BOOM. "You are Dead." :P

^^^This all depends on your idea of fun.

If you just want a shootout, there are far better games purpose built for this and with better competition.

I've made a few friends through the DayZ mod that I play DayZ and other games with after we shared TS information. Other than having a small chance of making a friend there is absolutely no reason to not shoot anyone you see. You don't lose out on anything.

^^^This is bull.

If you manage to have a neutral interaction and make a trade for needed supplies everyone wins.

If you just shot the person you could: damage that piece of gear he might have traded you, lose the chance to have an exchange that doesn't involve shooting (exchanging info on loot in other towns or player activities around the server), team up for a random friendly mission to a specific locale, and when they implement more survival (less ammo/food), crafting, and add vehicles there will be more reasons to not shoot.

I actually wish there were no clans.

If there were no clans and you had to make friends randomly it would force more interaction.

• Like 1