Sign in to follow this  
shane21022 (DayZ)

Is it time to come back?

When standalone came out I bought it immediately and I regret nothing.  But I stopped playing for a while and waited for them to release updates so it would be more fun.  I was wondering what everyone's opinion of DayZ SA is at the moment.  Is it worth replaying with friends or should I wait another 3-4 months?

I would say yes, its most definitely improved and will continue to do so.  If you wish to jump on the hype train feel free to honk.

Steak.

• Like 5

Its still alpha so I officially I would say "no" - but there was quite some progress so it depends on when you stopped. Its still "running simulator 2014" and there are still many desync issues but the new survival mechanics (temperature) make it more interesting.

• Like 1

Is it worth replaying with friends or should I wait another 3-4 months?

I'd say, absolutely worth.

There are 2 end-games now:

- survive 100 heavy hits from zeds.

- find out how to talk to people without getting killed.

- find out how to talk to people without getting killed.

If you honesty enjoy this as much as i do, then there was never a reason for you to leave.

I plan on making a gallery thread some time in the near future but ill post a story only version just for you OP.

It was a rainy night in Stary. If you are looking at the front of a piano house, I opened the right side door and saw a man trying to get something off top of the dresser nearest my door. I had a blaze, loaded. Instead of drawing my blaze i put my hands up. The man saw me and it must have startled him as much as me, because he juked over to the stairs immediately. After some time i finally was standing in the streets with him, probably offered him some items I dont remember. This was when temperature was a serious problem for players, so i asked him to help me make a fire. We ended up doing barrel rolls around our campfire at the edge of stary, after we both stuffed our faces with food and drink. The man continued to roll into the tall grass, way past the glow of our campfire. A couple minutes passed and he didnt return. I put up my middle finger in the direction he had gone, and shot a few rounds off into the sky. I logged out in the bushes nearby, that was a good night.

With 700+ hours played I'd say a solid "yes"... but it depends what you're looking for or expecting.

There is content being added, fixes and adjustments being made, it's an alpha in flux. However, it's nowhere near unplayable and I think I've gotten my money's worth several times over already. Log in and make your own decision.

When standalone came out I bought it immediately and I regret nothing.  But I stopped playing for a while and waited for them to release updates so it would be more fun.  I was wondering what everyone's opinion of DayZ SA is at the moment.  Is it worth replaying with friends or should I wait another 3-4 months?

The game has improved, but I'd say wait for Christmas ..

Do what I do, come back and play it for a while and then leave it for 6 months and come back again. With all the content in it, there really isn't much to do. Getting geared is relatively easy and then when you have nothing to look for, you are left with just roaming the map and staying alive (aah!, aah!, aah!, aah!). There's hardly any zombies and persistence isn't working so you can't make a base yet but there are a lot of things to learn about as well (building a fireplace, picking fruit, making backpacks, hunting and cooking animals, etc). There's a lot to do to get you up to speed on learning everything so once you're done with all that, you can leave the game for another few months if you want and come back again with some new fresh content.

You should keep an eye on the dev blogs and updates to see what's being done :)

Getting geared is relatively easy and then when you have nothing to look for, you are left with just roaming the map and staying alive (aah!, aah!, aah!, aah!).

Blasphemy! This IS Survival! and you will enjoy it! ;)

I would highly recommend playing again! I have enjoyed every patch and played through all content thoroughly and still enjoy the game. I guess it is mostly because I incorporate my Dungeons and Dragons role-playing skills, so that makes every session fun as hell.

Without roleplay, I could see how the game gets stale after a few days of playing.

This ^ if you aren't into the role-play-style

Edited by Act III

^ sounds like a promotion flyer... Simply put, atm there are better environments\settings to roleplay in..

• Like 1

Blasphemy! This IS Survival! and you will enjoy it! ;)

:)

Once the game is finished I can't wait to start surviving but right now, it doesn't have the depth for anymore than a few hours play though I say this on the back of playing the mod solidly for a year and a half so it's different for me than say, someone who is new to the game. I also limit my play time because I don't want to burn myself out on it.

With a little over 500 hours, I'd say yes.

The game has come a pretty long way and the most recent update was quite feature packed one. I'm really enjoying it at the moment.

I want vehicales, then I come back !!!!!!!!!!!! :) Fukkin gief vehicles ASAP  :beans:  :emptycan:  

I feel dumb but what is 0.50? and why should mods delete this post?

0.50 is the latest update which was released this Wednesday. It's made life a little harder in some ways - especially for people like me whose playstyle involves a lot of running in all weathers.

If you fancy playing Cosplay Survivor Simulator, then go right ahead.

Now on slightly more serious note; everything depends on your expectations.

If you loved vanilla Dayz, then you will enjoy standalone. If you were an EPOCH fan like me, you will find standalone to be rather dull experience. There are new things added to the game, you can finally cook meat, but you can't add meat, potatoes and tomato into a pot and make a stew. Neither can you really make veggie stew without meat or cook soup. So we have a very very basic cooking right now, but its in the game, how much added value it has is a different story.

Players who likes Dyril Dixon or Catnis will finally have their dream fulfilled as both crossbows and regular bows are in the game, and you can craft your own arrows. It is also possible to trap animals now too, rabbit and fish can be caught with traps.

On the flip side, loot is pretty broken right now. You can literally find clothing in DROVES, but finding a decent gun, some magazines and attachments is nearly impossible. Furthermore added "Persistence" is actually pretty bad while still being good. Remember how you would run towards some kind of building and see all the doors locked and be like "Oh yeah baby, a building nobody has looted yet". Well now all doors retain their status, waste of database space if you ask me, but some users really like it. As for me, I liked it better when certain things got reset after server restart. Looting is pretty limited to certain items like Makarov, AKM and SKS in terms of how commonly you would find loot of associated with these items. You do remember how in early alpha builds you could find FNX, 1911, M4s and loads of stuff for these guns? Well, now you can only find Makarov and makarov mags, rarely something else.

tl;dr

Go play it for a while, get bored and get off. The game is far from finished but its playable.

Yeah, christmas 2016.

I'd say no. Have just started playing again after 6 months. Not much has changed. Still lagging zombies and hackers. Got shot by floating fellow with 10.000 rpm. rifle just now.

New backpacks and animals, fishing and new stance. Hurray!  :P

Yes, I sound bitter, and I am. But at least I had fun for many hours, when the idea and the game was fresh and new. Now I just want progress and improvements.

:) no, I wouldn't go as far as that. I think that they are making very good progress. It is just that usually journey sounds far more exciting after the fact, when you got the fruits of the labor to play with..

Good question.

I myself am just coming back from a 3 month break. Got really pissed off with the mechanics and variables being all over the place and our entire clan fucked off for bigger and better things to do.

I'm now peeking my head back into the game for the past week or so, and I like what I see. The latest 49-50 jump has been a bit unsettling though as I found 49 was finally stabilizing the dynamics of the game systems a little bit (OK they were probably rather OP, but decent). Now they seem to be very strict, and suddenly the tools you had to deal with them, are gone or broken.

The rest of my clan isn't too convinced, so I'm playing the lone wolf/hermit role at the moment. Going to try my hand more at hunting and living off the land so to speak. (Was big on military on the first run, then big on medical/hero style on second run, now I'm on the 3rd).

I must admit I'm a little frustrated that there are still a lot of useless items. Medical items as a big example. Lot of stuff still doesn't do anything, or have any effect, or no logical application. That does kinda bug me when tons of new stuff is coming out, but the basics that are already in place, don't work. I would really like to see the medical gear given a major facelift, as well as small things that you would assume to be able to work, doesn't. (I can open a can with a screwdriver but not a crowbar, but sledgehammer is good somehow). That's not a good example, but there are still things missing that I can't come up with. There should be lots more uses for rope and duct tape, matches as well, etc.

I do recommend coming back, just to try it out for a week and see the progress. A lot has happened in the meantime, and I enjoy the game again. It's not at the level that I love yet, but it's making progress again. I just hope the dynamics introduced in 50 get sorted quickly.

If you fancy playing Cosplay Survivor Simulator, then go right ahead.

Now on slightly more serious note; everything depends on your expectations.

If you loved vanilla Dayz, then you will enjoy standalone. If you were an EPOCH fan like me, you will find standalone to be rather dull experience. There are new things added to the game, you can finally cook meat, but you can't add meat, potatoes and tomato into a pot and make a stew. Neither can you really make veggie stew without meat or cook soup. So we have a very very basic cooking right now, but its in the game, how much added value it has is a different story.

Players who likes Dyril Dixon or Catnis will finally have their dream fulfilled as both crossbows and regular bows are in the game, and you can craft your own arrows. It is also possible to trap animals now too, rabbit and fish can be caught with traps.

On the flip side, loot is pretty broken right now. You can literally find clothing in DROVES, but finding a decent gun, some magazines and attachments is nearly impossible. Furthermore added "Persistence" is actually pretty bad while still being good. Remember how you would run towards some kind of building and see all the doors locked and be like "Oh yeah baby, a building nobody has looted yet". Well now all doors retain their status, waste of database space if you ask me, but some users really like it. As for me, I liked it better when certain things got reset after server restart. Looting is pretty limited to certain items like Makarov, AKM and SKS in terms of how commonly you would find loot of associated with these items. You do remember how in early alpha builds you could find FNX, 1911, M4s and loads of stuff for these guns? Well, now you can only find Makarov and makarov mags, rarely something else.

tl;dr

Go play it for a while, get bored and get off. The game is far from finished but its playable.

Thanks for the help!

I too left it for a while, the last few games have been fun apart from 'no data received for 48 seconds' unexpectedly.... actually it is expected, right when you find that friggin item you were looking for and was about to pick it up!