Frost20

Game would be fun if they had a smaller boundry

Its hard to have respect for a game developer who clearly doesn't give a crap about its tester experience, but here's my drop in the wishbucket (as that seems what everyone else is doing on these forums)

Add a version that cuts the map down to 1/30 of its current size so i can actually "test" this game with other players, or better yet, find my friends. As it stands the map is only 5% viable and the rest is just a big waste of time. 

1/30 of the size....right.

Should we all spawn in with akms also?

Obvious troll is obvious.

Why don't you tell us what your real problem is with the game and then we can have a sensible discussion.

I'm not going to call you a troll or anything, I'm just going to offer what I feel is the main draw of the game to many players. The thrill isn't so much in the fight, it's in the lead-up to the fight. You don't know whether you're going to find another human being when you enter a new town. You look in from the outside to see if more doors are open than usual. Every little movement in your periphery feels highlighted. I've had my gun raised and sights trained on a slight movement, only to realize that it was a stray elk. I even hid beneath a dam and yelled at a pig before I realized, "Oh that's the sound of a hoof, not a boot, I'm an idiot". I mean, I still yell at pigs whenever I see them, but usually for other reasons.

When you do see someone, you have to wonder, "is this going to be a fight?". You try to analyze their movements and clothing from a distance to guess at their intentions for entering the town. Not all Payday mask wearers are jerks, but is that a risk you want to take? They're crouch walking, are they being cautious or are they being shifty?

If you were to shrink the map, there would be no question as to whether there was another player nearby. You would know they were near, and you'd have your gun waiting for them. It would be ARMA II, not DayZ. When your friends and foes are clear, and you have a basic idea of where they are going to be, it's just another FPS game. When you have a moral dilemma before entering a town, that's DayZ. The mechanics in this game are mostly crap. The optimization is terrible, most of the execution of concept is bad. The thing that drags us back is the ambiance. That ambiance is what still separates DayZ from it's competition, even though the competition has had better execution of concept for the most part.

TL;DR shrinking the map would make DayZ just another FPS, and DayZ honestly isn't a very good FPS.

• Like 3

Its hard to have respect for a game developer who clearly doesn't give a crap about its tester experience

Stopped reading here. For obvious reasons.

• Like 1

1/30th sounds like TDM is what you want and i'm pretty sure they released a new game that fits that exact mold on nov 3 and you can join servers with your friends on the same team you won't have to even find them.

Its hard to have respect for a game developer who clearly doesn't give a crap about its tester experience, but here's my drop in the wishbucket (as that seems what everyone else is doing on these forums)

Add a version that cuts the map down to 1/30 of its current size so i can actually "test" this game with other players, or better yet, find my friends. As it stands the map is only 5% viable and the rest is just a big waste of time. 

Sooo. Enlighten me.

What are you even doing? Killing the one-two zombies that run at you sometimes which go through walls, lag around, ect?

Running along the road for 30 mins?

Opening 100 houses hoping to find something that you may never use anyways?

I actually enjoy the game when i meet other players but that happens once like every 3 hours

You dont think i've tried this?

Look at my post count, you think im some sort of blotto with no brain?

Of course ill find a few individuals, rarely. And as much as i like 1 on 1 encounters im usually met with a mute. Is this one of those forums where any idea is shot down without counterargument? If it is feel free to take my white flag. I honestly dont even care that much any more. 

Ok

So what is there to survive against currently? If you cannot survive in this game right now you may need to look into your hobby choice and reconsider. Seriously. 

I actually made a bet with myself that you would reply with the same old "its alpha" response.

Thanks for reminding me, again, see my posts? 

By the way- how about shrinking the boundries so there isnt so much useless map area while we test the game? 

Okay... So... Did you really want us to respond helpfully, or did you want to just rant at anyone who made a comment?...

Anyway...

I come bearing glad tidings of great joy and a map to ease your suffering. http://www.dayztv.com/standalone/dayz-chernarus-plus-map/

Find yourself a compass. Familiarize yourself with place names. Next, find a landmark, check which direction will take you wear you want  to go, point your compass that way and push "W"

Works for the rest of us.

Edited by Artrath96
  • Like 2

i think you miss his point.

a test pot of paint. before your paint your house.

i think you failed in making a point??i mean...huh??

to OP...it really sounds like this game just isnt for you. no snide remarks, no hate, just seems like what you are looking for goes in the opposite direction of what DayZ is....

Shrinking the map would not give an accurate test of server performance under strain...strain of loot in every building and (at least a few) zombies in every town. This would increase the players you meet, but would be pretty useless from a testing point of view. Also they have to see what is a reasonable amount of player on the map with its intended size, if they shrunk it now then they would get no data on say....% of players making it all the way north, death locations to track player migration, and a plethora of other things.

The maps size is one of the best points about dayz IMO, the game isn't meant to be a CqC shooter forcing combat within minuets. Playerscan do what they want, and there needs to be room to facilitate hermits being able to recede into the woods never to be seen by another player for months. It already caters for PvPers as combat can break out at any time anywhere. If you want encounter after encounter and to meet loads of people every time you play....sorry to say....dayz might not be the game for you. Its goal to be authentic precludes that ever being the case, as I say to everyone.....tedious long distance travel will always be a big part of dayz.....as it would be IRL :)

I would love it, as an option in the full release.

Sometimes I feel like PVP but other times would rather avoid and pretend it's a survival game not Call of Duty: Mega Camper Edition.

Would be better if there was just some kind of island made for it though.

Perhaps something like that movie/movies where criminals get put on an island and forced to kill each other for their freedom, that would be awesome especially if you started with nothing and food etc was air dropped in for everyone to see.

For the game to stay fresh I think things like that should definitely be considered, it would take CoD attention away from the main game since they can go kill everyone in their own area leaving people who kill for legit reasons or actually think about it beyond "let's kill everyone l0l"

Small play area.... Wait for mods I am sure a mod will turn dayz into a death match eventually.

Small play area.... Wait for mods I am sure a mod will turn dayz into a death match eventually.

What do you mean turn it in to, it already is :P

I hope a lot of things like that are made so that not every player is dangerous but you still have some danger, currently there's not much value in even attempting to make contact with people, especially not if they have guns. It'd be good if a lot of deathmatch participants migrated elsewhere but not completely.

Be in big towns like Cherno, Elektro, Berezino and even smaller coastal towns and I bet you'll find players constantly. People spawn there so you find them more often there. I see players in coastal towns at least every hour if I'm there.

You can make the map small for you and friends easily but don't force us in a smaller map.

Edited by St. Jimmy

By the way- how about shrinking the boundries so there isnt so much useless map area while we test the game? 

This is the only statement you write that I can agree with.

Perhaps the devs could benefit from a smaller map purely for testing purposes. See how more intence fighting will pan out.

But as for the game in general... One of the things that seperate dayz from other similar games is the open world and huge map.

If they remove that, I for one, will just play another game.

Have a nice weekend :)

• Like 1

I was running around the North recently and they actually need to expand it. Not with cities or unique locations, just with "useless" forest and rolling hills. Novo in particular is WAY too close to the debug border given it's such a large city. There aren't supposed to be cities that close to the nothingness plains, that's why they had those huge Northern and Western forests serving as a giant buffer zone. It's jarring to suddenly encounter debug plains just a couple hundred meters from such populated locations. We need some extra forest and hills to patch things up. Adding all these new cities draws more players north but it also spreads the players more than in the mod. Combined with the thousands of enterable buildings you're less likely to see people than ever before, that is if you play wandering hermit instead of just waiting in cities to "interact" with people.

• Like 1

I was running around the North recently and they actually need to expand it. Not with cities or unique locations, just with "useless" forest and rolling hills. Novo in particular is WAY too close to the debug border given it's such a large city. There aren't supposed to be cities that close to the nothingness plains, that's why they had those huge Northern and Western forests serving as a giant buffer zone. It's jarring to suddenly encounter debug plains just a couple hundred meters from such populated locations. We need some extra forest and hills to patch things up. Adding all these new cities draws more players north but it also spreads the players more than in the mod. Combined with the thousands of enterable buildings you're less likely to see people than ever before, that is if you play wandering hermit instead of just waiting in cities to "interact" with people.

That is a good point. Some time ago I was trying to find a friend in the forest north of Novo, went right past that little town and into the debug zone. Felt... wrong.

Seems to me that the OP likes to try and validate his (dubious) opinions by saying that he has made a lot of posts...

WTF DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING!!!

Seriously, look up Fallacies, they are where your argument is either based on something which is incorrect or utilises an incorrect notion.

Here the fallacie is Ad Hominem, letting your background dictate whether your argument is correct. The amount of experience you have doesn't guarantee a good opinion.

Someone who has played 2000 hours plus could still say: 'Let's nerf the zombies!!!'

Not to say that your point can't be argued, just stop acting like your post count makes you special or means you get any extra consideration.

This game isn't supposed to be ''fun''. This game is supposed to make you paranoid. This game encourages fear. This game is unforgiving and doesn't hold your hand. This game is supposed to keep the ones looking for ''fun'' out. This is an apocalypse.

hahahah      ah- ah -   hahahahahah...

1/30?    y' mean like a two kilometer square ?

NWAF fits inside 2 km: Go there and you will be able to test this game with other players. I guess that is the "5% viable" you're looking for?

There are plenty of ways to know how to get to NWAF real quick after you spawn - but I guess that must be the "95% big waste of time you don't like? 

The real problem is - if you want to play inside your 2km square NWAF all the time, so you can "test" with other players.. you're going to be respawning a lot.

But here's the secret:

Really - if you can't get into totally deep shit inside 3 minutes of logging in - anywhere on the whole map - youv've never played DayZ

If you cant meet up with your friends: personally, I think it's your own sense of direction, or one of your friend's, or you need some agreed keywords to use on TS, and you need friends who have an attention span longer than a goldfish. Or all of you should join a group who can <teach> you how to "test" the game, the way you like.

Get someone to write out the How To Find Trouble Fast list, and start from there? 

It's a long list because the "DayZ How To Stay Out Of Trouble" list has just one entry :

'don't log in'

It gets to be fun real soon. See you in the game.

ps there are whole servers where everyone is invited to Berezino for non-stop PvP, if that's what you want. Meet your friends there.

Edited by pilgrim