Sign in to follow this  
stielhandgranate

Do we really need more towns?

shitty, copy&paste towns.

Dude, they are all painstakingly handmade.

• Like 3

Is anyone else let down that the idea to "Expand the game" is to build more towns with the same repeated structures? I really don't see a need for more towns with nothing new to offer. If we received new unique landmarks like the shipwreck and very tall building in novo I could see the merit however this current trend is as pedantic as community dayz mods that added in more barracks buildings.

Well at least the new military base has unique underground holes and pobeda dam is back at the other new town so... there is an improvement

• Like 2

We knew they were coming so it's not a surprise.  Whether they are needed or not, I sorta lean towards no but we'll see.

Personally, I think it would have been a lot cooler if they left the areas open for players to build their own structures/towns instead and given us the tools for that purpose.  I think that would have been much more fun/interesting.

Alternatively, instead of towns I would have liked to see more diverse wilderness added with points of interest to make it worthwhile.  Maybe a big plane crash in a new type of forest or something, or some sort of interesting ruins.  Things like the shipwreck etc.

The problem as it stands is there's a ton of towns and they really don't offer anything different between them.

I don't know.  I think the towns are fine.  Of course every single building isn't going to be unique.  But with nearly every building enterable and a lot more variety of building, cities and towns feel a lot "richer" than they did in the Mod.

But in many ways they don't.  The map still feels very empty to me since there are no zombies. 

We knew they were coming so it's not a surprise.  Whether they are needed or not, I sorta lean towards no but we'll see.

Personally, I think it would have been a lot cooler if they left the areas open for players to build their own structures/towns instead and given us the tools for that purpose.  I think that would have been much more fun/interesting.

Alternatively, instead of towns I would have liked to see more diverse wilderness added with points of interest to make it worthwhile.  Maybe a big plane crash in a new type of forest or something, or some sort of interesting ruins.  Things like the shipwreck etc.

The problem as it stands is there's a ton of towns and they really don't offer anything different between them.

I think it makes more sense to give the player the ability to block off streets and barricade buildings, rather than construct new ones Minecraft style.  Your supposed to be a lone, or small group of desperate starving survivors.  Not a bunch of housing contractors.

• Like 2

I don't know.  I think the towns are fine.  Of course every single building isn't going to be unique.  But with nearly every building enterable and a lot more variety of building, cities and towns feel a lot "richer" than they did in the Mod.

But in many ways they don't.  The map still feels very empty to me since there are no zombies. 

I think it makes more sense to give the player the ability to block off streets and barricade buildings, rather than construct new ones Minecraft style.  Your supposed to be a lone, or small group of desperate starving survivors.  Not a bunch of housing contractors.

Don't need to be a housing contractor to make a shitty house.  And who's to say my character isn't a carpenter?  This is supposed to be MY story.  We're just people surviving an apocalypse, we're getting farming, there's hunting and fishing.  Why am I supposed to be some lone starving guy?

• Like 2

Don't need to be a housing contractor to make a shitty house.  And who's to say my character isn't a carpenter?  This is supposed to be MY story.  We're just people surviving an apocalypse, we're getting farming, there's hunting and fishing.  Why am I supposed to be some lone starving guy?

Damn straight. Why we "HAVE" to be some guy sucking at life, sleeping in the corner of an abandoned shack somewhere, seriously beats me.

If I were in the game (and the game wasn't arbitrarily difficult, by limiting what I can do), I am willing to bet I wouldn't be starving, nor in all that bad shape. There would be plenty off food (nuts, crops, berries, etc), you would just have to work for it,  I can build a pretty nice shelter (A-frame + Debris hut will keep you warm regardless of the weather) by myself, and a 12 x 12 foot log cabin is not all that difficult to build with only a few people.

Arbitrarily limiting other players based on what you think the "game is supposed to be" is, IMO, just as bad as the players who look down on others for/not preferring PvP. (KoS is a whole other issue)

• Like 1

Add swamps, forests, fields, mountains, orchards, graveyards, maybe ruins, but can we please limit the amount of new towns?

In DayZ mod we had limited number of places where loots spawned. So we had to travel all the time to find new stuff. Now you hit one village - loaded with loot, gg, lets look for some guns. Maybe, just maybe, the zed number will finally increase and entering a big city will become extremly dangerous.

• Like 1

No forests will be destroyed to make these new towns. There are already roads where future streets will be. There will be towns all along northern highway, as it is in real area in Czech republic. New towns look great IMO. Just look at Svetlo or Severograd. But they are empty because there are no zombies there. They should also spawn specific type of loot, like gas canisters, ammo, knives, roap, maps, tents and things you cant find in woods. In mod, we allways went to towns that had supermarekts to find tents and backpacks. And one of us would make noise and lure zombies away so rest of us can loot  in peace. 

No forests will be destroyed to make these new towns. There are already roads where future streets will be. There will be towns all along northern highway, as it is in real area in Czech republic. New towns look great IMO. Just look at Svetlo or Severograd. But they are empty because there are no zombies there. They should also spawn specific type of loot, like gas canisters, ammo, knives, roap, maps, tents and things you cant find in woods. In mod, we allways went to towns that had supermarekts to find tents and backpacks. And one of us would make noise and lure zombies away so rest of us can loot  in peace. 

The problem is that Czech republic lacks any wilderness...

I get that you are angry that the building will probably look the same.  That's annoying.  But stop trying to take the premise that the map is too small and too cluttered right now because it really isn't.  If you spent 8 hours running from Vavilovo, to the new tents out west, down to Zelenogorsk, and ended at Kamenka.  Then server hopped and ran back up my guess is that you would see maybe 3-4 people.   But if you spent 8 hours going from Cherno to Berezhino you would see 40-100.

The "density" you speak of is a product of a few things.  1.  Lack of gameplay options.  2.  Server population being so low.  3.  No vehicles. 4. (and the biggest reason)  The community dictates which parts are the most dense.

No, I think most people are referring to the increase in buildings and ever decreasing rural areas. You can't dictate where people will go but why do we need more towns? We used to have a mass of wilderness up there where people would hide all sorts of things. You might think the map is huge but as a veteran player who roamed every square inch of that map and often ran the entire edge of it looking for people camps, tents or vehicles (with a friend it's surprisingly good fun if you have an appreciation for the work done on the map, like walking the outdoors and have a good conversation). Once you walked everywhere and then you check the heat map showing peoples movements (and taking into account the way tents stood out like a sore thumb past 100m), you found there were very few places to hide things. Some players will go looking for your stash and one of our friends was brilliant at looking for obvious places and going "I bet there's a tent here" and sure enough, most of the time he was right lol.

Now there is no wilderness so to speak of, where are you going to hide anything. All that has happened now is the available farming, base-building and hiding spots has shrunk massively. So when it comes to you finding a spot to hide something, chances are you're going to find someone else's stash there or they're going to find yours.

They didn't even make the tents green or brown, either.

I welcome these new, smaller towns to fill up the large vacant areas of the North/Northwest. Some of you are complaining about these new towns being "copy & paste" but honestly I've found them to be quite the opposite. I find there are many other aspects of a town that separate it from the rest including the layout, presence of certain buildings, foliage in the area, presence/lack of farms, etc. Just because they have some of the same buildings doesn't mean they are alike. Many of the new towns are much more interesting to me than the older southern towns even though I'm fairly new to Chernaurus. Once these towns are finished they will focus on spicing up old towns and adding a more variation within the map.

On another note, as new towns have been added more foliage also comes along. Sinistok, for example, was once a large vacant field, absent of anything beyond grass. Now it's a quaint little town, fairly unpopulated, with variety of trees and underbrush. Nice place to settle in or around considering it's obscurity and proximity to NWAF.

That "vacant field" you're talking about is probably where they cleared the area to add the town in. Before that it probably had something in it and even if it didn't, wtf is wrong with a vacant field? Have you ever looked at the countryside?

When we say copy and paste, we mean the buildings are all the same, not that they highlight an entire town and then "ctrl - c'd" and then "ctrl - v'd" lol. Every town pretty much feels the same, just in a different order.

They say they're adding in 4 unique locations. Personally, I don't see the attraction of a shit ton of cities everywhere - why do we need so many and what are you doing in them that's so much fun - cocktail parties? I would have added a few extra cities. one or two up north and maybe combine novy and stary - there, job done. Then I would have added in at least 10 unique locations including a mine/cave system. New buildings for the the cities in the north that had a completely different feel and each city would have something unique about it, like the hotel in cherno (which would have been enterable all the way up to the plane crash).

Dude, they are all painstakingly handmade.

Yes we know they are - we just don't find a town with exactly the same buildings in it as the last 5 towns are boring. They should have designed new buildings for the villages as well so they felt different. Maybe they will - why don't they hold a competition for modders to design houses to put in the game? Loads of people would sumbit buildings and they'd pick the ones they really like. Face it, DayZ/Arma2 buildings really aren't all that.

They removed Pobeda Dam however you spell it. Why would they remove that to put in more shitty, copy&paste towns.

You're absolutely right. They offer nothing of value because they just look the same so one town is every town now in Cherno "+". It's a bit like those apartment blocks - does anyone else find them the most boring and awkward things to search?

Where Pobeda dam precisely was is now occupied by Novo, probably the most notable new town/city of them all.

Also, they actually did re-implement the dam recently, so I don't see what you're whining about.

This! Where is the creativity gone? We could name a hundred unique, cool things to put in the map easily so i don't know why it's more and more frikkin towns. How about a zoo in the middle of a town with zombie monkeys!

Where Pobeda dam precisely was is now occupied by Novo, probably the most notable new town/city of them all.

Also, they actually did re-implement the dam recently, so I don't see what you're whining about.

Obviously I didn't know that, did I. Do you think I'd be talking about it if I did - no, so the whining is justified.

That whole area was forests originally, so yes, they have been destroyed.

• Like 1

I dont think we need more towns... what we need is more points of interest... like green mountain, devils castle, ship wreck by Rify... more "fun" stuff in a way.

A village is a village is a village its all the same and it gets boring. Off the top of my head... A Cathedral/Cloister ... A golf course/ driving range... an abandoned amusement park...really huge mountain with snow at the top, with cable cars...bridge (like in taviana),...I know its not all "lore friendly" Im just throwing ideas out there...

I also think the south eastern area of the map is DEAD... does anyone even go there? Its so full of forest and nothing really special there. Personally I travel between NWAF and Cherno 90% of the time, if not its Novo and NWAF.

Id like to see an Big city near Shakhovka/Staroye... I think that would liven up the SE area. Also have some heli crashes spawn all over the map not just on the west It will make people move around more.

Lastly I miss the barracks at Balota and the tents at Stary... they need to bring them back :(

• Like 2

Yes, we need more towns with different buildings and new content. We also need a bigger map with more interesting wilderness areas and more ways to manipulate the environment. We need caves and underground environments, raging rivers and bees, lots of bees to sting the shit out of people! :)

Yes, we need more towns with different buildings and new content. We also need a bigger map with more interesting wilderness areas and more ways to manipulate the environment. We need caves and underground environments, raging rivers and bees, lots of bees to sting the shit out of people! :)

like this?

oprah-bees.gif

• Like 3

I dont think we need more towns... what we need is more points of interest... like green mountain, devils castle, ship wreck by Rify... more "fun" stuff in a way.

A village is a village is a village its all the same and it gets boring. Off the top of my head... A Cathedral/Cloister ... A golf course/ driving range... an abandoned amusement park...really huge mountain with snow at the top, with cable cars...bridge (like in taviana),...I know its not all "lore friendly" Im just throwing ideas out there...

I also think the south eastern area of the map is DEAD... does anyone even go there? Its so full of forest and nothing really special there. Personally I travel between NWAF and Cherno 90% of the time, if not its Novo and NWAF.

Id like to see an Big city near Shakhovka/Staroye... I think that would liven up the SE area. Also have some heli crashes spawn all over the map not just on the west It will make people move around more.

Lastly I miss the barracks at Balota and the tents at Stary... they need to bring them back :(

I was watching a YT video earlier where the guy was showing a "new" village by the coast and it was boring. Boring to the point where I was completely underwhelmed because I've seen it 10 times before, just in a slight different configuration. The devs seem to think that throwing down buildings in a slightly different pattern is interesting but just chucking buildings down for the sake of it is mindless and it's starting to show.

For an example into the world of boring, let's look at the "area" NW of Cherno - the "Towers of Boring" Does anybody ever go and loot those? ALL OF THEM? They're a pain in the ass to navigate, some rooms you can't even fit inside and they go on and on and on and on and..... Why did they have to design them the way they did? The thing with DayZ houses is I never really feel like they're real houses, that they're some weird house from some weird dimensions. The rooms are too small, they're layout is completely weird and the apartment blocks just show that off.

So there must be at least a dozen there but they don't really serve a purpose, do they? Do people loot them or do they feel the same sense as I of impending frustration and boredom for a can of beans? To me, buildings should be interesting at least and if you're going to make an apartment block, at least make it navigable. They remind me of HALO where you had that part where you ran across bridges or something - basically they copied and pasted the same layout over and over except mirrored it that seemed to just go on and on forever.

It's Lazy design and it looks shit, Devs. Fix it.

• Like 1

That "vacant field" you're talking about is probably where they cleared the area to add the town in. Before that it probably had something in it and even if it didn't, wtf is wrong with a vacant field? Have you ever looked at the countryside?

It makes sense that there was probably something there before - but if it was indeed all forest then that's certainly no better than a town in terms of diversity and making the map interesting. "What's wrong with a vacant field?" First of all there's plenty of vacant fields. Much of the western side of the map is fields. Second, this is less than a vacant field - the area around Toploniki is(was) completely void of anything (prior to this update) - indicative that it was likely cleared out as you stated before (and it was not very resembling of the countryside). I don't get how a vacant field is better than a town to you though if you're interested in making the map more interesting. It was just about as dull as it could get up there.

When we say copy and paste, we mean the buildings are all the same, not that they highlight an entire town and then "ctrl - c'd" and then "ctrl - v'd" lol. Every town pretty much feels the same, just in a different order.

Right, but the way in which you stated it definitely made it feel as though you really didn't appreciate (or understand) the work put into the variation in these towns. There's nothing copy and paste about them except for the buildings used - and that's a different topic. I don't find that the towns feel the same. I'm liking many of the newer small towns just because of the way they feel, but that's just me. I hope there's a few more unique types of buildings added as well - but that doesn't mean I don't like the addition of these new towns. As new buildings are created they can easily just swap em out for existing, repetitive buildings.

They should have designed new buildings for the villages as well so they felt different. Maybe they will - why don't they hold a competition for modders to design houses to put in the game? Loads of people would sumbit buildings and they'd pick the ones they really like. Face it, DayZ/Arma2 buildings really aren't all that.

Not a bad idea.

Edited by solodude23

Is anyone else let down that the idea to "Expand the game" is to build more towns with the same repeated structures? I really don't see a need for more towns with nothing new to offer. If we received new unique landmarks like the shipwreck and very tall building in novo I could see the merit however this current trend is as pedantic as community dayz mods that added in more barracks buildings.

I think it's very wise of them to expand the map in the manner that they're doing so now. We've got both barricading & vehicles right around the corner. A larger map simply justifies the need for a vehicle even more, especially considering that once they're implemented, running speed will be drastically reduced. No sense in providing us with vehicles if there's very minimal land for us to drive them to.

Same goes for barricading. It'll be more difficult to reach the more Northern parts of the map upon spawning, so when choosing a location to barricade yourself in, the North would be more ideal than the high-traffic coast.

If you've been keeping yourself up to date with recent dev feedback, you'll see that they're working on more unique structures & locations. Namely the prison & the underground military bunker just North of Severograd that's currently in experimental. Supposedly the bunker is "not suppose to be there". But regardless of whether it is or not, you can see how it sets itself apart from any other military base in game.

Furthermore, most building models that are currently in-game aren't finished. The devs intention is to rework the look & atmosphere of every town to better suit a post-apocalyptic setting. For what it's worth.

• Like 2

It makes sense that there was probably something there before - but if it was indeed all forest then that's certainly no better than a town in terms of diversity and making the map interesting. "What's wrong with a vacant field?" First of all there's plenty of vacant fields. Much of the western side of the map is fields. Second, this is less than a vacant field - the area around Toploniki is(was) completely void of anything (prior to this update) - indicative that it was likely cleared out as you stated before (and it was not very resembling of the countryside). I don't get how a vacant field is better than a town to you though if you're interested in making the map more interesting. It was just about as dull as it could get up there.

Right, but the way in which you stated it definitely made it feel as though you really didn't appreciate (or understand) the work put into the variation in these towns. There's nothing copy and paste about them except for the buildings used - and that's a different topic. I don't find that the towns feel the same. I'm liking many of the newer small towns just because of the way they feel, but that's just me. I hope there's a few more unique types of buildings added as well - but that doesn't mean I don't like the addition of these new towns. As new buildings are created they can easily just swap em out for existing, repetitive buildings.

Not a bad idea.

OK so what makes buildings more interesting than a field? I don't get your argument at all because it seems like you're saying, remove all the fields, and forests and replace them with buildings. So why not just make the map one huge city - is that interesting? No. A field on it's own is not interesting but when it makes up the "landscape", it becomes a feature of that which may be an obstacle to cross, a place of observation, a place to set up a base, a place to grow crops. Do you know why people go on holiday to the countryside? You must not get out much and you also fail to understand what a landscape is. There's 40 towns/villages on the map, how is 41 going to make it a more interesting map?

OK next part :) Put yourself in any major city, in the middle of it on a road and look around. Notice how it kinda looks like every city in Cherno? I'm not sure though why you would jump to a conclusion that I literally meant they copy and pasted the towns.

I think it's a great idea :) Modders are really creative and it gives BIS less work to do as well.

I am sick from so many new identikit town every place you is looking :|

same house

same hospital

same shed

same barn

same everything >:(

THEY HAVE BIG ARMY OF ARTIST WHY THEY DONT CREATE SOME DIVERSITY STYLE FOR NEW BUILDING MAKE EVERY TOWN UNIQUE HAVE OWN PERSONALITY??? :huh:

WHY THEY DONT FOCUS TO OPEN ALL THE BUILING ALREADY THERE BUT IS NOT POSSIBLE GOING INSIDE??? :huh:

please stop to ruin map with same shitty town everywhere and do some original buildings and finish town what is already here ;)

also leave alone please some fucking wilderness for make the tent having use!!! :o

is no imagination bullshits what they doing is so much desperate to make announce new feature and always is same 'LOOK NEW TOWNS!!!'

We don't need no new town thankyou for offer but no thankyou very much :thumbsup:  >:(

• Like 2