Max Planck

Permadeath? This is permadeath!

this is all a crock of shit

You are against people setting voluntary challenges for themselves that affect no others in any way?

WarZ tried this and all it did was lead to more people trying to justify there cheating and it was only a 1 hour lock out

Why would someone put a voluntary challenge on himself, then cheat to avoid it?

If something like this could be forced through the game the feeling would be very much different. X hours/days ban would be a big thing and then I could call this game perma-death. Longer ban for people who kill other survivors so you don't just kill someone unless you really need to do. That would make bandits want to really survive long and pick their moves. At least I would appreciate bandits more then because path of a bandit is a real gamble.

If something like this could be forced through the game the feeling would be very much different. X hours/days ban would be a big thing and then I could call this game perma-death. Longer ban for people who kill other survivors so you don't just kill someone unless you really need to do. That would make bandits want to really survive long and pick their moves. At least I would appreciate bandits more then because path of a bandit is a real gamble.

Player base would drop like a stone if they would start enforcing stupid rules like that. People don't want to buy a game and that not play it because they died or choose a certain play style. 

Player base would drop like a stone if they would start enforcing stupid rules like that. People don't want to buy a game and that not play it because they died or choose a certain play style. 

Naturally there would also be servers/hive like currently to please more casual gaming.

• Like 1

Naturally there would also be servers/hive like currently to please more casual gaming.

No it will be other way around. You can create your own servers / hives where you can ban yourselves for whatever you want for however long you want. 

Same way Whyherro123 will be able to get people to work on farms, fight for factories. Go on epic quests to find an AKM for which you will be paid in corn and potatoes. All your dreams will come true. But at the same time please let us other enjoy the freedom in this game, to play whatever way we want without game punishment for it, and play the game when we so desire, without getting banned for doing legal things in game, or for dying.  

Edited by General Zod

Contentious banter from such a simple post... 

Priceless  B)

• Like 1

The way people in this forum react to ideas that are not akin to their own reminds me a lot of the neo-conservative movement in the United States. They get scared at the thought of people living differently than they do. It's like someone else enjoying something differently than them somehow infringes on their own fun.

No matter how much you tell them that it doesn't affect them, they still fret and froth.

I for one, think private hives set up with time locks upon death could give said servers a different feel than standard ones. Groups wouldn't have as dramatic an advantage as they do now. Coastal towns would be uncharacteristically quiet.

I know I would be willing to at least try it out.

• Like 2

The way people in this forum react to ideas that are not akin to their own reminds me a lot of the neo-conservative movement in the United States. They get scared at the thought of people living differently than they do. It's like someone else enjoying something differently than them somehow infringes on their own fun.

No matter how much you tell them that it doesn't affect them, they still fret and froth.

I for one, think private hives set up with time locks upon death could give said servers a different feel than standard ones. Groups wouldn't have as dramatic an advantage as they do now. Coastal towns would be uncharacteristically quiet.

I know I would be willing to at least try it out.

See the problem is with all you smart talk is you got it all backwards. 

They want to implement those solution into the main game, and force those who don't want them into the private hives.

This clearly indicates that he wants the game to have the hardcore ban for death or kos option as default. Not as an option. 

Who said it was?

Except for the guy in the article, that was the whole point of it.

So, it is not for you then. Good for you, have fun however you choose to play.

If you actually believe this guy will never play DayZ again after dying, you're just playing into his little attempt of attention whoring. If he said he was going to take his own life when he dies in DayZ, that would be both worthy of attention and a much better representation of permanent death.

Also, this thread isn't about how I decide to play. You posted this topic to be discussed, and I'm discussing it.

So what do you guys think? Would like to up the stakes and try something similar?

I was thinking about trying a watered down version myself, where dying would make me stay away for a month or so. That's kind of how I play already though, so I guess it wouldn't make a great difference, but it still might add some sweat to my furrowed brow.

Any takers? Any other ideas for added consequence?

I think its a silly test, and hes only doing it for attention. 

Mostly because the game isn't finished yet and hes more likely to get killed by the floor in the fire-station than anything else. Not to mention that the majority of systems and mechanics for the final game are either under development or not included into the game yet.

I dont like a game i paid for forcing me not to play it.... while time is fast today and seems so limited sometimes already....

Key word. Server. Not game :P

See the problem is with all you smart talk is you got it all backwards.

They want to implement those solution into the main game, and force those who don't want them into the private hives.

This clearly indicates that he wants the game to have the hardcore ban for death or kos option as default. Not as an option.

You're assuming that he meant you'd be in the minority. Which I doubt you would be. But if the majority of players wanted these restrictions, servers would reflect that. Thankfully he's not a developer, eh?

You are against people setting voluntary challenges for themselves that affect no others in any way?

Why would someone put a voluntary challenge on himself, then cheat to avoid it?

comment was not so much directed at yourself more so the people chiming in suggesting it should be a game feature ... challenge yourself all you want thats your business... but at the end of the day its a GAME and the only games that penalize you in a lock out are usually P2P  ..

You're assuming that he meant you'd be in the minority. Which I doubt you would be. But if the majority of players wanted these restrictions, servers would reflect that. Thankfully he's not a developer, eh?

So what you are suggesting is that majority of the players will be happy with being temporarily banned from the game if they die or if they want to play as killers. I don't see that happening. 

So what you are suggesting is that majority of the players will be happy with being temporarily banned from the game if they die or if they want to play as killers. I don't see that happening.

I'm saying that the majority of servers will be the way that they are now. In internet gaming, the lowest common denominator comes out on top. Google it.

Banned from a server and/or hive and not from the game. I'm not saying that there wouldn't be any public hive what we currently have, I just meant that there needs to be more hardcore option even in the public. For example it feels very different to play Path Of Exile in Hardcore because if you die in Hardcore league your character can't get in that league anymore and DayZ's "perma-death" is really lacking that kind of feeling.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Banned from a server and/or hive and not from the game. I'm not saying that there wouldn't be any public hive what we currently have, I just meant that there needs to be more hardcore option even in the public. For example it feels very different to play Path Of Exile in Hardcore because if you die in Hardcore league your character can't get in that league anymore and DayZ's "perma-death" is really lacking that kind of feeling.

Yes I figured that it's not a ban from the game. And my point still stands. Most people will not want to be banned. At all. So the few "we want uber hardcore" players will be able to do that on private servers. But main game will not have that feature. 

I think this is lame. How is DayZ any more hardcore than any other [survival] game? There is no permanent death... when you die, you start over, like every other game in the universe.

But yeah, totally brave. I laughed.

Agreed. Good luck populating these 'Special Servers'... even if you get it full, its numbers will go down quick.

With coming basebuilding and functioning item persistence we will always be able to simply go for our secret weapon stache, tomato plants or even our fully equipped base making "perma death as it is right now more or less a useless feature. Clans having vehicles, especially choppers picking their killed team members up at the beach and a possible suicide option will make this even worse. A time penalty feature seems to be an interesting option as long as it goes for private hardcore servers. 

maybe it is time for a forum hardcore server ....1. person only...no TS...shorter days and nights ..extended perma death... ( one can dream)