Sign in to follow this  
Jex

Time to ditch the Torch/Flashlight

If it is a global apocalypse, there really shouldn't be any functioning GPS in the game, because the ground control part of the system would be long gone.

Yes, I was actually thinking of saying that, but didn't feel informed enough to make such a statement. Somehow I thought GPS could sort of just keep going..

If it was up to me (good thing it's not) server time would be fixed to location as it was when the mod was first released.

If it was full moon when I looked out of my window, so it was on the server I played, the only way to work around that was to play on some far flung US server.

Not really a problem in the summer time (Paris/Frankfart*/Prague) but the winter nights were/are long and hard.

Long live the torch and the long life battery within her.

Vive le lampe du poche !

My man!   :beans:

Sure if there is a compatible charger in the glove compartment. And if you find a working car, if it has spare Watts to charge the phone, and that's one big IF. 

I have a charger in my car and at home. I bet you wouldn't have to smash too many car windows to find one if somehow yours wasn't available :)

Alright. How do you charge your phone without electricity? Also keep in mind that the point where you start in the game is quite some time into the apocalypse so it's not like you charged it to full just the day before.

How did the player manage to survive quite some time into the apocalypse with only a flashlight?

Could have been robbed and left for dead, washed out of the sea after a boat sank, whatever. There are a lot of possible scenarios. That's off topic though.

If it is a global apocalypse, there really shouldn't be any functioning GPS in the game, because the ground control part of the system would be long gone.

Just a thought but in accordance with this in the event a GPS control segment run by Department of Defense goes dark, the older satellites will retain functionality for roughly 14 days.  The updated Block II-A sats, can monitor each others positions independently off the ground.  That said they are designed to retain 16 meter positional accuracy for up to 180 days.  My main thought is even with a certain area locked down all defenses run by each military would most likely keep ground control up until the absolute demise in every country in order to ensure attacks of all forms were available.  So your looking at quite some time of sat GPS coverage even if everyone is brain dead around you.

• Like 2

Selfies with the zeds.

No internet = no upload = no reason to take selfies. 

I have a charger in my car and at home. I bet you wouldn't have to smash too many car windows to find one if somehow yours wasn't available  :)

Chernarus is poor, I think you would have to put some considerable time into finding one. 

Edited by General Zod

Just a thought but in accordance with this in the event a GPS control segment run by Department of Defense goes dark, the older satellites will retain functionality for roughly 14 days.  The updated Block II-A sats, can monitor each others positions independently off the ground.  That said they are designed to retain 16 meter positional accuracy for up to 180 days.  My main thought is even with a certain area locked down all defenses run by each military would most likely keep ground control up until the absolute demise in every country in order to ensure attacks of all forms were available.  So your looking at quite some time of sat GPS coverage even if everyone is brain dead around you.

I see. It is rather interesting that the decision of whether to include a working GPS in the game will thus indirectly tell us something about the lore of the game. Mainly how long ago and how widespread the outbreak is at the time of play.

• Like 1

No internet = no upload = no reason to take selfies. 

Chernarus is poor, I think you would have to put some considerable time into finding one. 

How is Chernarus poor, exactly? They look to have the same infrastructure and amenities that rural/semi-rural areas around me (AKA the megalopolis in New England) have, and we aren't exactly poor. 

Hell, Chernarus appears to have better roads than we do..... : (

How is Chernarus poor, exactly? They look to have the same infrastructure and amenities that rural/semi-rural areas around me (AKA the megalopolis in New England) have, and we aren't exactly poor. 

Hell, Chernarus appears to have better roads than we do..... : (

Oh I don't know, houses look closer to shacks than proper houses, there is no toilets in most of them. Also one point

Post soviet

Communism makes countries poor, it makes them poor long after it's gone. 

Edited by General Zod

Oh I don't know, houses look closer to shacks than proper houses, there is no toilets in most of them. Also one point

Post soviet

Communism makes countries poor, it makes them poor long after it's gone. 

There might be toilets in them, we don't know because we can only access about half the rooms in any given house.

There might be toilets in them, we don't know because we can only access about half the rooms in any given house.

In some we have access to all and there is no toilet. 

In some we have access to all and there is no toilet. 

It is a poorer country. I have also seen some out houses. :)

I'm fine with the torch thing.

I drop mine, but I'd keep the battery if walkie-talkies worked. I'd also possibly use the torch if night-time wasn't so shit. I'm expecting both of these to be fixed before ever-so-long, so I don;t see a problem with keeping torches in. The other thing they do is provide new players with a (very, extremely) basic introduction to the rudimentary crafting system.

Having said that...

There's no FUCKING way you'd move about at night in a zombie apocalypse, even with a flashlight, but definitely not without one. People who say stuff like  "I've been camping, and you can still see a bit at night" are, quite frankly, talking out of their arse (even if they are a B.I. employee!). Yes, you can see a bit, but you can't see nearly enough for it to be worth the risk of being attacked by something you can't see, or of tripping over and twisting your ankle or impaling yourself on something sharp or banging your head. Plus you wouldn't be able to see what you were looting and you;d lose stuff out of your kit, so it'd be pointless.

• Like 3

You don't like the flashlight but think that one of the items you should spawn with are a flashlight? 

There's no FUCKING way you'd move about at night in a zombie apocalypse, even with a flashlight, 

The zombie horde and/or murderous bandits that are seconds away from breaking into your "safe" sleeping spot strongly disagree.

The zombie horde and/or murderous bandits that are seconds away from breaking into your "safe" sleeping spot strongly disagree.

So it's safer to sleep during broad daylight, is it?

• Like 1

Perhaps?

You will move when danger makes you move is more my point.

Perhaps?

Well, that's true. You'd never really sleep, I guess, unless you had a few trusted and capable mates standing guard. But if you were on your own, I don;t think you'd EVER move about in the dark unless you had no choice.

Car.

You couldn't think of that yourself? Dude, you're gonna die if a real ZA breaks out. I suggest you play DayZ more to learn how to be a survivor when it happens.....

:P

Unless that car has been running with the alternator charging the battery on a reasonably regular basis the battery will die. I left my car off the road and within a month of not driving it the battery was dead. So no, a car is not a viable answer at this point in the apocalypse. If we don't have to find a way to charge the car battery when vehicles get introduced I'd be disappointed.

Zero benefit to using a flashlight at night. Better off just increasing gamma and brightness levels. Flashlight is the single most useless item in the entire that can actually get you killed relatively fast. It's a shame though, I would love playing at night but the only viable way to do so is to just play in black and white with max gamma and brightness or use night vision goggles (if those exist, I've never found any).

Edited by Shelledfade

Zero benefit to using a flashlight at night. Better off just increasing gamma and brightness levels. Flashlight is the single most useless item in the entire that can actually get you killed relatively fast. It's a shame though, I would love playing at night but the only viable way to do so is to just play in black and white with max gamma and brightness or use night vision goggles (if those exist, I've never found any).

Well the way you are describing it wouldn't be playing, it would be exploiting.  If you ACTUALLY "played" at night.  You would intrinsically use a flashlight because it was so dark.  So the item is useless because you can cheese it, not because it's actually useless.

• Like 2

I'm fine with the torch thing.

I drop mine, but I'd keep the battery if walkie-talkies worked. I'd also possibly use the torch if night-time wasn't so shit. I'm expecting both of these to be fixed before ever-so-long, so I don;t see a problem with keeping torches in. The other thing they do is provide new players with a (very, extremely) basic introduction to the rudimentary crafting system.

Having said that...

There's no FUCKING way you'd move about at night in a zombie apocalypse, even with a flashlight, but definitely not without one. People who say stuff like  "I've been camping, and you can still see a bit at night" are, quite frankly, talking out of their arse (even if they are a B.I. employee!). Yes, you can see a bit, but you can't see nearly enough for it to be worth the risk of being attacked by something you can't see, or of tripping over and twisting your ankle or impaling yourself on something sharp or banging your head. Plus you wouldn't be able to see what you were looting and you;d lose stuff out of your kit, so it'd be pointless.

Perhaps?

EXACTLY! Finally, someone who understands!

There is literally ZERO benefit to playing at night.

If I were by myself in a "real Day Z" scenario, I would feel perfectly safe sleeping at night. Wondering why? The age-old adage: it is easier for 1 person to find 10, than for 10 to find 1. I would be in a relatively inaccessible place (attic, loft, tree [i've slept in a tree before. Not bad with a hammock, and hammocks are easy to improvise]), and when I heard the aforementioned bandits (probably with flashlights of their own, natch), or zombies crashing through the woods, I would 1) wait until they leave and 2) at first light, haul my ass out of there.

Why the hell would the bandits be looking for one person, anyways? Don't they have other, more important targets to abuse and murder?

• Like 1