tills13

I created a DayZ trading platform

Hey guys, it became apparent to me a while back that an item exchange system would be perfect for the DayZ community. It's always the case that, when you're looking for something the hard, manual way, you never find it. And it's always the case that you find yourself with endless junk in your inventory that you really, really don't need. That's where something like what I've created comes in. It allows players to connect and exchange items. You might be looking for something in particular or you might just be wanting to get rid of something you have in your inventory in exchange for the most interesting offer. 

It's called TradeZ

It's very simple - just a list of available trades. Trades are read as "I have [left item], I'm looking for [right item]." Hovering over the [+n items] will show you what those items are. You can also search for items and people, if you're looking for something specific. When making a trade, it's important to consider the person you're trading with. If they are untrusted, then you should probably avoid them. TradeZ utilizes "reputation" so you know who has consistently gone through with trades in the past. 

Typical use-case:

I really tried to focus on making the experience enjoyable. Little things like animations, I think, make it seem polished - I've seen too many DayZ sites (and gaming sites in general) fall victim to the ugly stick.

I'm looking for feedback, as well. If you run into any bugs, you can reply here or you can use the little i icon in the bottom right. Thanks for reading!

edit i reset the database when moving the login system over to Steam OpenID. I REALLY appreciate your guys feedback and everything and I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience... there were quite a few trades lost.

Edited by tullsy
  • Like 19

looks like it could work

*trades beans for good idea, is satisfied*

Edited by Red_Ensign

Good idea, but would it be possible to add location of players? 

• Like 1

This won't work like TF2Outpost, as you can't bop a guy across the bonce and steal his shit in TF2.

I wish it will work, I hope it will work, but I doubt it will work.

Pretty damn organized though.

This won't work like TF2Outpost, as you can't bop a guy across the bonce and steal his shit in TF2.

I wish it will work, I hope it will work, but I doubt it will work.

Pretty damn organized though.

yeah there's a lot of trust involved but it's better to have the option than to not because of what *could* happen.

• Like 3

A reputation system would be the best way to keep it as honest as possible. Possibly link Steam accounts?

You currently need to have a steam account to sign up, but it really doesn't "link" to your steam account. I'd like it to be as "contained" as possible - not requiring any extra logins or linking etc.

edit: as requested, you now log in via Steam

Edited by tullsy

A reputation system would be the best way to keep it as honest as possible. Possibly link Steam accounts?

This is a good idea. I've never bought anything on Ebay from someone without a good reputation. Something like 1 vote per user, and votes only count if someone has participated in a trade with someone else (something to show they're not just the same user logging in and voting themselves up like item dupers do).

I'm looking for feedback, as well.

How about using Steams OpenID API to allow users to sign in with steam instead of registering, I know I hate signing up for websites all the time, all your users are going to have steam accounts anyway and you already require they enter it so it just makes the entire process a lot easier.. See http://www.tf2outpost.com/ for an example. I haven't gone through the process of trading with someone but you could then also have a direct link to add them to steam friends to commence the trade.

You can probably also get some ideas for the design/layout from there also, little things like "SmashT wants to trade..." above the item I am trading will help make everything a bit clearer what item that person has vs what they are looking for, my first impression was it was a little confusing.

I'm not really sure what the item pop ups down near the adverts are for, the ones I had didn't seem to match any of the trades currently on offer so I'm not really sure what it's purpose is or what it's supposed to be showing exactly.

A blurb on the front page explaining how the process works etc would probably also be a good idea or alternatively a getting started page in the top navigation explaining it all.

I'd like to see a list of top traders/ all traders etc somewhere too.

Register a domain name, something easy for folk to remember.

Good Job

• Like 6

not requiring any extra logins or linking etc.

I think that linking your steam account will be 100% necessary if we are going to trust the reputation ratings.

• Like 3

Let me make myself clear. Things like these will work but people who are also going to spoil this also exist.

Make a middleman service.

Buyer gives item to the middleman; seller gives the item to the middleman middleman will hand items to the buyer and seller.

Lower risk, less chance to get scammed. If you kill a middleman you are banned from the platform. The middleman will be a trustable person who has time to do this, he may also charge a fee or a tip for the transaction.

Edited by Yazar8

there should probably be an option of not caring what condition you want the gear to be in, but ruined could work too i guess for that.

it should also so both sides of reputation, good and bad, because i can see a guy going rouge because he has 50 rep, and decides to take advantage of 20 of it, bringing him down to 30, but getting full gear from killing people every time, dont know if that shows right now.

Edited by over9000nukez
  • Like 1

There IS a rep. system, that's what the number beside the names are. 

And yeah, I think, eventually, I'm going to link to Steam accounts. I am a student, and I'm pretty busy, so it might not be until next week.

there should probably be an option of not caring what condition you want the gear to be in, but ruined could work too i guess for that.

it should also so both sides of reputation, good and bad, because i can see a guy going rouge because he has 50 rep, and decides to take advantage of 20 of it, bringing him down to 30, but getting full gear from killing people every time, dont know if that shows right now.

Good point. Right now, I'm logging all "ratings," so I can see when someone goes up to 50, and then down to 30, but I'm not showing it. That's going to be something that shows up on profiles when I get time to implement it. 

I'm not really sure what the item pop ups down near the adverts are for, the ones I had didn't seem to match any of the trades currently on offer so I'm not really sure what it's purpose is or what it's supposed to be showing exactly.

If you mouse over the [+n items] chip it'll load the items for that trade. Unfortunately, if you "mouse in" and "mouse out" too fast, it won't unload that little tooltip. 

How about using Steams OpenID API to allow users to sign in with steam instead of registering

On the roadmap. edit: preliminary implementation done.

I'd like to see a list of top traders/ all traders etc somewhere too.

good idea. 

Register a domain name, something easy for folk to remember 

unfortunately, I'm a starving student. I can afford to host my own domain (sbstn.ca) - and Amazon has a "free" tier for a year on their web services, but I can't afford two domains plus hosting for them both. DayZIntel has been kind enough to offer forwarding tradez.dayzintel.com to my site, which might be easier to remember than tradez.sbstn.ca, but other than that, that's not something that I can do currently. 

thanks for the input!

Edited by tullsy

Hey peeps. You might have noticed your trade disappeared.

I had to reset everything because I've implemented "Sign in Through Steam" so now your account is linked to your steam account. Hopefully this will stop people from exploiting the service...

Sorry for the troubles.

edit: some people were having issues logging in after the SteamID update. I think I've fixed this issue. 

Edited by tullsy

So cool.. You know I'm kinda embarrassed to admit this but I used to play warZ before I found the dayz mod , and I have to say I loved how people traded rare items on the forums so having a whole site dedicated to dayz trading is just awesomely amazing . I can't wait to see car parts on that list :) ! Good work tullsy.

This is a cool idea.  Nice work! 

Just some constructive criticism from my first look at the page: I had some trouble telling whether a trade in the initial window represented just a trade offer, or whether it was a list of all recent trades.  Also your search function is caps sensitive right now.

• Like 1

It may be a good idea to categorize things. Such as

• Food
  • Firearms
  • Explosives
  • Blades
  • Tools
  • Backpacks
  • Clothing
  • Misc.

Etc.

Just my input. Very good job nonetheless.  :)

• Like 1

Good idea, bad implementation. 

I went to the site, logged in through steam and saw the two items up for trade. Didn't see any way to proceed with a trade had I wanted one of the items. Good idea, hopefully the creator will work on the interface so it's less confusing and easier to operate.

• Like 1

This is pretty sweet, man. I hope this works out cause I'm always finding useless shit I don't need/want. MP5s for instance, I see people mainly post saying they can't find any, but I find them everywhere!