Sign in to follow this  
UltimateGentleman

Are we going to get dismemberment/gore?

I've never seen people talking about this really.

Will we be able to chop zombies heads and arms off? Like with an axe at the right angle. Including straight up smashing their heads, like with hammers or shovels.

Or will it always just be like headshot = dead, body shot = until they have 0HP?

I don't think the engine could handle any detailed dismemberment but some would be nice, since they move fairly quick it wouldn't be too easy to do.

For players I don't think it should work though, since in real life you could just duck or grab the axe but that kind of thing likely won't be in the game ever.

When they're dead though why not, maybe you could throw heads or limbs as bait for zombies while you escape or in extremely desperate situations, use them as weapons.

Thoughts? Since it's unlikely we'll have a damage system so detailed each axe hit creates a massive gash on zombie's, a little dismemberment with some blood spray would be a fine addition.

• Like 1

as far as I can tell its a fairly difficult thing to impliment.

no

but being able to deliver a good KICK would be a useful thing.

Nothing fancy.. just a 'kick' .. like a 'punch', ya know. -  it hurts them or it knocks them down.

If you wanted to get fancy, you should be able to melee hit with the butt-end of your gun. It's a common melee thing (ed: butt and bayonet style)

But..  just a plain simple 'kick' action would be nice.

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 5

I've never seen people talking about this really.

Will we be able to chop zombies heads and arms off? Like with an axe at the right angle. Including straight up smashing their heads, like with hammers or shovels.

Or will it always just be like headshot = dead, body shot = until they have 0HP?

I don't think the engine could handle any detailed dismemberment but some would be nice, since they move fairly quick it wouldn't be too easy to do.

For players I don't think it should work though, since in real life you could just duck or grab the axe but that kind of thing likely won't be in the game ever.

When they're dead though why not, maybe you could throw heads or limbs as bait for zombies while you escape or in extremely desperate situations, use them as weapons.

Thoughts? Since it's unlikely we'll have a damage system so detailed each axe hit creates a massive gash on zombie's, a little dismemberment with some blood spray would be a fine addition.

Personally id like to be able to see me cutting into some one whether it be infected or human. The simple fountain of blood effect is rather lame. I wouldn't expect fountains of blood to begin with but there is far worse things that come from fatal wounds and dismemberment than just blood lose. Gangrene infections for areas that are not treated come to mind, tetanus from rusty metals and stuff especially i would imagine from some of the melee weapons we use in game. Broken limbs NEED to become more of a bigger deal than what they are. Magically going to full health from a broken limb with just a splint is rather silly. Taking hits to the head to many times should slowly form some kind of brain damage if your not careful as well i think. In fact if your aiming at someones head there should be a chance to blind some one in one or both eyes if you get them just right.

Personally the damage system is still currently to arcade like if you ask me. Implying realism would mean we would become allot more fragile creatures to specific attacks and such.

• Like 1

Personally the damage system is still currently to arcade like if you ask me. Implying realism would mean we would become allot more fragile creatures to specific attacks and such.

Yeah I hope they can try get it along that way somewhat, like being able to stab people/zeds instead of just slash.

I know the pitchfork "stabs" but it doesn't really go through and cause stabbing damage y'know.

rnx0wul.jpg

Pretty much like that.

It would look stupid for sure but what else are they going to do besides make blood spray from the right places? We can't expect too much from this engine but that doesn't mean we should limit it to creatures being completely solid blocks that bleed from certain area's.

no

Nothing fancy.. just a 'kick' .. like a 'punch', ya know. -  it hurts them or it knocks them down.

If you wanted to get fancy, you should be able to melee hit with the butt-end of your gun. It's a common melee thing.

Yeah that would also be good, failing that even just a shove.

As long as it wasn't too overpowered and would sometimes require a bit of button bashing if they resisted.

The main thing I want is more of a physical element to combat instead of just object A hits object B until one falls down.

Dismemberment ties in with that, zombie going to take too much stamina or time for you to kill? Break or hack off it's leg and leave.

• Like 2

Do me a favor. Take a nice cleaver, get a decent beef bone, and hack through that thing. See how much force and how long it takes you. Now, compare and contrast to an actual living target.

• Dry and Brittle vs. Living (actually pretty "spongy")
  • Braced on a non-movable surface vs. free-moving
  • not moving vs. actively trying not to get hit (AKA moving AWAY from the strike)
  • Directly hitting the bone vs. cutting through flesh first (adds resistance)

In real life, weapons like swords and axes did not hack off limbs or heads with any sort of frequency. Human bone is actually pretty resistant, and you pretty much have to nail the joint (elbow, shoulder) to have any real chance of "cutting through it" (AKA not even cutting bone, but cartilage and tendons). 

And, when dealing blunt damage (AKA applying a hammer to someone's face), the overwhelming majority of damage is done internally, AKA you aren't going to see much "on the outside". A hammer applied to the temple will literally destroy the brain via concussive force, but they might have some blood, a cracked skull, and a small dent to show externally.

• Like 7

ill submit my artist impression 

CVIEOxv.jpg

i think they go for it who need animations when its art like that 

• Like 4

CVIEOxv.jpg

That is disturbingly adorable..... I need to get out more.....

Do me a favor. Take a nice cleaver, get a decent beef bone, and hack through that thing. See how much force and how long it takes you. Now, compare and contrast to an actual living target.

• Dry and Brittle vs. Living (actually pretty "spongy")
  • Braced on a non-movable surface vs. free-moving
  • not moving vs. actively trying not to get hit (AKA moving AWAY from the strike)
  • Directly hitting the bone vs. cutting through flesh first (adds resistance)
In real life, weapons like swords and axes did not hack off limbs or heads with any sort of frequency. Human bone is actually pretty resistant, and you pretty much have to nail the joint (elbow, shoulder) to have any real chance of "cutting through it" (AKA not even cutting bone, but cartilage and tendons). 

And, when dealing blunt damage (AKA applying a hammer to someone's face), the overwhelming majority of damage is done internally, AKA you aren't going to see much "on the outside". A hammer applied to the temple will literally destroy the brain via concussive force, but they might have some blood, a cracked skull, and a small dent to show externally.

I agree with most of the things you said I do believe there are katanas that have been made that can take limbs of with one cut so some swords can do serious damage in one cut yet its not just the sword that does the cut its technique and training. and I also agree it usually wasn't a point to cut off limbs but to cut major arteries if a limb goes with it all the more better. and as for gore in the game I would love to see it but I don't think we will honestly I'd rather them work on everything else that needs to be done then when its finished add in that stuff maybe a clever modder will grace us with a gore mod or some mod when you can take off limbs etc I think the the content of this game is only limited to the folks that mod and of course the time the devs want to invest and the amount of patience the players have which sometimes is very little.

I agree with most of the things you said I do believe there are katanas that have been made that can take limbs of with one cut so some swords can do serious damage in one cut yet its not just the sword that does the cut its technique and training. and I also agree it usually wasn't a point to cut off limbs but to cut major arteries if a limb goes with it all the more better. and as for gore in the game I would love to see it but I don't think we will honestly I'd rather them work on everything else that needs to be done then when its finished add in that stuff maybe a clever modder will grace us with a gore mod or some mod when you can take off limbs etc I think the the content of this game is only limited to the folks that mod and of course the time the devs want to invest and the amount of patience the players have which sometimes is very little.

Oh for Christ's sake.

I am not going to get into a discussion about swords (especially katanas), but.... NO. You are probably getting confused with Katana's being tested on captives and dead bodies, via decapitation AKA striking a braced, immovable target in between the vertebra. Which means such a strike would be next to impossible in a real combat situation. And, katana's were only really effective via a draw-cut, AKA useful in duels, not so useful in actual combat. Not going to bring up how most Japanese iron (and steel, when they had it, which was RARE) was notable (by actual historians) as being really, REALLY shitty. Many swords would break when used in combat, whichhhh is why the most common weapons used in Japanese combat were the spear and the bow (just like literally EVERY OTHER CULTURE).  ANd how most warriors would ACTIVELY AVOID striking bone, as the edge of a sword or axe would chip, and combat-worthy weapons were expensive as all hell.

....Looks like I brought up swords and katana's, huh? Sorry, I get more than a little worked up about sword (and especially katana) fanboyism.

• Like 2

CVIEOxv.jpg

I think there should also be a removal animation for this because if you bury an axe or any weapon into a skull it ain't coming out too easy. Nice animation skills though Edited by Tobias Winfro
  • Like 1

I love the idea of them reworking the blood effect, it currently looks like a red cloud falling to the ground. Would love to see blood splatter up walls when shot inside. I would also love to see a drippy blood trail when a player gets injured & runs away, this would make them feel they have to bandage up fast or lure other players to them.

• Like 2

The visual injuries need to be improved asap. I'm talking about bullet\stab wounds on the bodies, dismemberment, and some blood on the environment. We need some visual feedback in combat.

• Like 1

no

If you wanted to get fancy, you should be able to melee hit with the butt-end of your gun. It's a common melee thing.

Made me think of this.

Duke_Nukem_3D_DOS_020.jpg

You have to be a real badass to kick with both feet at the same time.

• Like 2

I dont think chopping heads and limbs off would be to realistic...but then again we are fighting zombies, which characteristics are defined by those making the game. So the realism argument is easy to bypass.

I would rather see the zombies reacting to the force of the impact when we hit them. Right now its pretty static, really no animation when they get hit. Makes melee combat kinda dull. Melee combat should be spiced up at some point, make it more visual and fun.

• Like 2

I think there should also be a removal animation for this because if you bury an axe or any weapon into a skull it ain't coming out too easy. Nice animation skills though

thanks, there be a rewind button for a reason 

• Like 1

CVIEOxv.jpg

You did a very good job. I like this allot! :)

I think for gunfire and explosions, fallout 3 style dismemberment would be fitting. Might up the rating in certain areas, but sales wouldn't suffer.

I would rather see the zombies reacting to the force of the impact when we hit them. Right now its pretty static, really no animation when they get hit. Makes melee combat kinda dull. Melee combat should be spiced up at some point, make it more visual and fun.

Thank you!

My mind just could not think of how to say that, yeah all attacks need some kind of "oomph" to them. It'd be a lot easier to kill zombies if you could knock them down, for sure.

However if they can knock you down and get the drop on you, you're most likely fucked so it would still be difficult especially against more than one.

As for the dismemberment not being realistic, these are visibly decaying bodies so that could account for something and even if you couldn't lop off a limb in one strike you could certainly reach the bone and break it a bit, enough for the thing to not be walking after.

Also:

at around 4:20

An axe could surely achieve something similar on a human body especially when someone would be swinging for their lives not to mention the centrifugal force would add a bit of force to it as well, it's not really comparable to hacking up meat on a kitchen counter.

i always wanted a more gorey zombie game why are they so clean ?

where is the grime ? the terror ? dismembering should be part and parcel with zombies. guess we just limited to this engine with what can be done. but adding things like more terror and grimeyness could be done.

• Like 1

Axes and machetes etc should of course have a better chance of causing some serious harm, dismemberment or decapitation against zombies because their flesh is already rotten and/or decomposing and would offer much lesser resistence to that of a human. This being said, I think PVP elements need spiced up. I don't think we should be able to hack each other up, to a certain extent, but I do feel there needs to be some new animations and injuries sustained in battle. No more "uuughhhh" *Your leg/arm is in serious pain* it should be more "uughhhh" *You have recieved a concussive blow to the head* or *You have recieved a large gash that requires stitches*.

ninja edit: of course our arms/legs should still recieve injuries; but add more possibilities of injury to various body parts is what I'm getting at.

Edited by Tactical Nuke

To what end?

What is the point of the gore or dismemberment? The Forest has it but they made it a part of the game since you can make effigies that are supposed to scare away the cannibal natives. But what would be the point of dismemberment in DayZ other than to draw negative attention to the game.

• Like 1

To what end?

What is the point of the gore or dismemberment? The Forest has it but they made it a part of the game since you can make effigies that are supposed to scare away the cannibal natives. But what would be the point of dismemberment in DayZ other than to draw negative attention to the game.

This is a mature game. If you cannot understand that especially in a zombie type game than I really don't know why your here. Currently the game is WAY WAY to PG clean at the moment. Its like sickeningly DISNEY right now.

dgeesio, on 20 Oct 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

i always wanted a more gorey zombie game why are they so clean ?

where is the grime ? the terror ? dismembering should be part and parcel with zombies. guess we just limited to this engine with what can be done. but adding things like more terror and grimeyness could be done.

I cannot agree with you more about this. But you have to remember there are ppl who apparently are ok without this. Of coarse those ppl can get my middle finger.

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1