TulaNoyes

cutting down on snipers

instead of just haveing to run around and find a random scope and a random gun thats compatable with it. and pretend that it would automatically be sighted in. they could make it so you would have to find a bore sight to sight it in perfectly. or fire it a few times to get it kind of close to zero'd in but it would let you know it the gun fires high and to the right or low to the left so on.

i guess it wouldnt cut down on snipers it would just make it more challenging to to snipe if you cant find the right calliber bore sight for your gun. and you would have to learn how your gun shoots and get used to it.

I love the fact that you have to be aware of snipers. Any time I've been killed by one they have my total respect. I don't snipe myself nor do I kill unarmed bambis but when I'm an unarmed bambi the thrill of being under fire and zig zagging away is amazing. Please don't suggest taking that away.

• Like 2

Remove snipers, problem solved.

ok. To remove kosers lets take away guns. Great logic.

• Like 4

Not far enough. Remove all other players and replace zombies with bunnies :)

• Like 4

they Could Deffinatly Make Attachments on Weapons Have Some Calibrations so not Every player with a Scope Had  Perfect Accuracy

Would Definitely Distinguish Between the Sniper and the Wannabes

Not realy Against Snipers But it Should Take More Skill than Just sticking a Scope to a Non-Railed Mosin and Instant pinpoint Accuracy

Sighting Weapons Would Deffinatly add to the Realism of Firing Weapons and Make you Need Confidence in your Skill With More Aspects than the Trigger Before you Decide to Go pvp in Berezino

Edited by NokyoOkami

I've always liked the idea of having to adjust a scope every time you mounted it.

Boy, are you in for a thrill when they start adding actual sniper rifles to the game.

Right now they'd technically have nothing to remove.

Not far enough. Remove all other players and replace zombies with bunnies :)

I love when people play along with my jokes.

Boy, are you in for a thrill when they start adding actual sniper rifles to the game.

Right now they'd technically have nothing to remove.

No way man, that standard issue rifle designed over a hundred years ago will pluck you from two kilometers away.

why do people want to get rid of snipers? Could it be that they like to have the option of running around with their heads stuck up their asses? Snipers make the game interesting, its fun to KoS snipers that have tunnel vision. 

And Jfiles I wonder if the guy that suggested that 'great Logic' is actually the unholy offspring of Diane Feinstein &  Chuck Schumer?.

• Like 1

I know some Counter Strike servers have an addon the kicks people for camping. Maybe that can be added to stop snipers.

I know some Counter Strike servers have an addon the kicks people for camping.

But one team is dedicated to defending. How dare they play defensively!

• Like 2

I know some Counter Strike servers have an addon the kicks people for camping. Maybe that can be added to stop snipers.

But Camping Actual is also a Means to Survival And Requires Sitting Still in One Place o.O

Add mil/moa turrets and get rid of the stupid easy mode 100m elevation adjustments and the sniper population plummets

Add mil/moa turrets and get rid of the stupid easy mode 100m elevation adjustments and the sniper population plummets

And actually work on effects like bullet drop, wind, air pressure, round type, and ammunition condition having them all substantially affect where the round will land.

• Like 1

And actually work on effects like bullet drop, wind, air pressure, round type, and ammunition condition having them all substantially affect where the round will land.

Those would be all nice.

But even just adding mil turrets alone would make for a huge shift in how people play.

There aren't SO MANY places a sniper can camp where there is a lot of action in his scope. In the game you soon know them all. Go up round the back with your axe and see if some guy is peering down his scope at the firestation. He's an easy target. That's probably easier for you with your axe than it is for the sniper with all his gear.

For a sniper, the alternative to sniping from a known location on a busy area, is to spend all day scoping a low pop area and MAYBE get one shot. That's GREAT fun for 3 or 4 hours of play.

So be serious - being a Pro Sniper is NOT an easy option.. Everyone who's played the game knows where you are going to be, unless you're REALLY smart, so you must think a lot and you choose your locations carefully, and keep moving often, and you must KNOW how to get out of the area. AND if you have a LRS sniper rifle in your hands, it's really no fun trying to fight a guy with a garden hoe or a pickaxe who turns up suddenly at melee distance... try it!

When people talk about sniping skill - in DayZ at the moment the BIG SKILL is knowing where to be, and knowing where NOT to be, and keeping your back covered, and knowing how to move, having a constant sense of danger, .. to be a good sniper just WORRY dude, all the time.. because a LOT of players know where you MUST hang out to scope an area, and a lot of players don't like snipers.. and everyone knows snipers tend to be well geared up.. At least 50/50 it's the sniper who is the target, not the "poor dude" down in the street. Any of the popular sniper locations, there's probably a guy already waiting in the woods, or behind a rock, or in a bathroom, just WAITING for the next sniper to turn up - you've got to know that whole area behind and around and above you is clear before you can even put the scope up to your eye. That includes the next hill, where a dude with the LRS is already covering that little open space down there where you (sucker) can scope the main street. I's not an easy life. That's probably why its safer to snipe bambies.. but then sometimes that's not so safe eithere. There are vigilantes on the coast.

These things I've mentioned above ARE the SKILLS of a sniper.. the "sighting down the scope" is the EASY part of sniping. 

If you want to take something out of the game - take out People who Run Up Behind You With An Axe .. because those people are dangerous AND unpredictable.

220px-Baldknobbersrr.jpg

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim

I think sniping should be harder for certain. 

Not even because that discourages people but because it would make you feel awesome for pulling off tricky shots.

• Like 1

troll.jpg

@ rest of posters

You want to cut down on snipers ? Cut down on pointless killing ? 

Wait until ammo and guns are scarce and zeds are many. Nothing more needs to be done. 

Edited by General Zod

troll.jpg

@ rest of posters

You want to cut down on snipers ? Cut down on pointless killing ?

Wait until ammo and guns are scarce and zeds are many. Nothing more needs to be done.

I would want ammo to be more scarce than the guns, but both to be rare-ish.

Does anyone remember that presentation Rocket did and was talking of ballistics? If you read the list, it said snow... SNOW. and ballistics but snow!

So boom, 2 in one. All of what Chain mentioned is actually planned, ballistics will reduce these l33t scout snipers, and it confirms snow so either in a new map or Chernarus, so yall can stop.suggesting snow :p

instead of just haveing to run around and find a random scope and a random gun thats compatable with it. and pretend that it would automatically be sighted in. they could make it so you would have to find a bore sight to sight it in perfectly. or fire it a few times to get it kind of close to zero'd in but it would let you know it the gun fires high and to the right or low to the left so on.

I think it'd be a fine idea.

So many people here whine about minor things "killing my immersions!" but whenever it's something that lets them kill people easily then that's fine :thumbsup:

I mean let's face it, sniper scopes are for killing players. Scouting areas, maybe but they're for locating and killing players, there's literally never a situation where you need to snipe a zombie it's a stupid thing to do most times.

Scopes are only good for non killing related things when it comes to scouting if you don't have binocs, which should be solved by being able to use them as monoculars.

And I guess they're good for killing animals but you don't really need them, least not with current animal AI.

So yeah if people want to be l33t snipers they should have to fiddle with scopes and actually know what they're doing, scarcity of ammo is only a minor inconvenience unless server hopping is banned people are still gonna get half an inventory of rounds and sit sniping popular locations.

However they get any fun out of that...

I wish people would stop acting like snipers are always easy to find, yeah, shit ones. Typically those wearing mountain backpacks or not even hiding, or ones that move a lot.

It's pretty damn easy to conceal yourself in a tree or something and not everyone's gonna have binocs or whatever else to see them hundreds of meters away and it's not like you have time to survey every single tree round a whole town while you're starving to death. There's no use judging how hard snipers are to deal with from the perspective of someone with the tools to find them...

Anyway, good suggestion snipers are pretty much useless as it is except for killing, of course not all rifle's should be scope-less by default though but ones with scopes should require the player to zero them in, which is both time consuming and risky.

• Like 1