Sign in to follow this  
Dark233Play

Guns that Jam or malfunction.

Guns should take damage over time and with use. With handling gun my self if you don't keep them clean they jam. Be cool if that realism was in the game. You don't take car of your gun and you get into a gun fight it starts jamming and you need to take time to unjam it. Jamming happens allot with full and semi automatic. Breech loaders and revolver should just have gun malfunctions like you got dirt or debris in the mechanism that keeps it from firing.

FTFs and FTEs would be great for degraded weapons for sure.

I've said it would be great if you had a hangfire once in a while with bad ammunition.

I agree greatly on jamming it happens more commonly on semi auto pistols and machine guns. This would be a realistic feature. Guns should be ruined by water and actually destroying it other ways wouldnt be that fun and may piss people of. Jamming has a pretty much 50 percent chance to save you from a bandit or a 50 percent chance to kill you while killing a bandit.

actually haveing to smack the crap out of the mosin to get the bolt open. sticky bolt is a regular with those things.

I've said it would be great if you had a hangfire once in a while with bad ammunition.

or the natorious slam fire with the sks with any ammunition

sneaking up on someone, you load your sks, chamber a round and bam you just gave away your position lol

Edited by TulaNoyes

Guns shouldn't take damage over time or use. This is an idea that seems in your head like it might be a good one, but in the scope of the game it wouldn't benefit anything. It would actually hurt things. 

Hear me out.

Guns shouldn't degrade over time. Why? For starters, how would you measure that? Time since it spawned into the server? Since it was picked up? Either way would be a bad idea. There are a bajillion hidey holes in Chernarus where a Mosin or SKS or pistol might sit for ages until it is found. If weapons started degrading once they spawned in it would only encourage servers to have more and more frequent restarts in order to make sure the guns and equipment that spawns stays fresh and usable. This disrupts play and oversaturates the loot economy. Let's say that a gun starts to degrade once it is touched by a player. That's even worse in a way, because now you haven't just found a weapon to use...you found a timer. And that timer is ticking with every step you take, every move you make, every vow you break, every claim you stake. Do you like to lay low, skirt the outsides of towns and play otherwise somewhat intelligently? If guns degrade over time just by their existing, then you are only encouraged to attack and play aggressively since if you don't do it soon...you'll soon just be back to square one as a bambi. Just with dirtier shoes. What if I don't kill people on sight? What if my gun is just for defense and just sits on my back 99.5% of the time? Is my friendliness going to be punished with an actual game mechanic? Lives in DayZ don't last for real life days and weeks, months, or years. They last for a couple afternoons, half an hour, seven hours, a number of logins over a few days perhaps. (There are exceptions, I know.) Guns can break, rust, all that...but they aren't fragile, either. Not so much that you should have to worry about your gun just not working a few hours after picking it up.

Guns shouldn't degrade from use, either. 

I own a 1927 Mosin Nagant rifle. 1927. That thing is 87 years old. 87. That's when DayZ development started (joke).  It's been through a freakin' World War. It's banged up, it's scratched, nicked, but it still fires and shoots like it was made yesterday. It's solid metal and wood held together by sheer Communist confidence. God knows how many rounds have gone through this rifle in 87 years, how many hands have held it, how many Nazis it may have killed...the point is that while you still have to maintain a gun, in the scope of your character's life and the life of the server in DayZ just don't last long enough to justify this kind of degradation to metal and wood and plastic. I understand it would make every shot seems more valuable...but so would making ammo less rare. So would more Zombies.

This would basically give an objective and technical penalty to both shooting your gun...and not shooting it.

You state, OP, that jamming should happen when dirt and grime gets into your weapon. But how would you prevent that? Not moving? Staying indoors? All this would do is encourage less mobility. But the worst sin in this idea is that it adds...

...dare I say it...

Randomness...to combat. You shouldn't aim your gun at somebody's head where you have been hiding and have it misfire and blow your hand off. You shouldn't hear bullets whiz past your head and turn the corner with your shotgun and have it just not work because the computer's metaphorical roll of the dice gave you the shit end of the proverbial stick. 

Want a better solution? Guns spawn with varying levels of wear and tear based on what kind of weapon it is. The more complex, dangerous, and the more moving parts it has...the higher the chance that it will spawn in less than Pristine.

I'M NOT SAYING THERE SHOULDN'T BE SOME LEVEL OF GUN REPAIR OR MAINTENANCE, but guns shouldn't get damaged from just having it or from shooting it. Maybe if you get into water you have to wipe it with a command? Maybe if you prone too much you have to clean it with another command? We already have ammunition that has different states of wear. Maybe the ammunition should be the focus instead of the firearm? Maybe it, too, should spawn in different wellness states.

I think that firearm maintenance in this game should be like hunger and thirst and temperature. They should always be nagging at you, and should be catastrophic if you ignore it. 

• Like 5

that would be a great addition to dayz I think but I also know you can brutalize an AK and Russian equipment and the damn gun will still fire they are designed for the worst kind of conditions a lot of the guns they've added can hold up to a lot of abuse except maybe the AUG or the M4(I love American guns not hating just stating a fact)in which they are more finely tuned and don't have as much play in the mechanisms for mud and dirt and possibly even ice. I've seen cats stick AK's in mud I mean real thick swamp mud and leave it pull it out and shoot 3 mags through it. hell if they added any glocks or g series pistols if you had one of those and an AK variant you'd have 2 really reliable platforms to protect yourself.

I agree with Rags on gun degradation, however you aren't factoring in the Russian made ak variants. Those things can be buried in a sand hill, dug up 2 years later and still fire and not miss a beat. The idea of meta gaming would be a welcomed addition, taking care of guns and gear but I think it is still a bit early in development to focus on these types of thing

it would be nice if the quality of ammunition did play a part in how it functioned like misfire not ejecting correctly causing a jam. it would also be nice if eventually we could pick our casings and reload rounds at our base. I'm sure there would be primers and gunpowder at mil areas hell even farms

Guns shouldn't take damage over time or use. This is an idea that seems in your head like it might be a good one, but in the scope of the game it wouldn't benefit anything. It would actually hurt things. 

Hear me out.

Guns shouldn't degrade over time. Why? For starters, how would you measure that? Time since it spawned into the server? Since it was picked up? Either way would be a bad idea. There are a bajillion hidey holes in Chernarus where a Mosin or SKS or pistol might sit for ages until it is found. If weapons started degrading once they spawned in it would only encourage servers to have more and more frequent restarts in order to make sure the guns and equipment that spawns stays fresh and usable. This disrupts play and oversaturates the loot economy. Let's say that a gun starts to degrade once it is touched by a player. That's even worse in a way, because now you haven't just found a weapon to use...you found a timer. And that timer is ticking with every step you take, every move you make, every vow you break, every claim you stake. Do you like to lay low, skirt the outsides of towns and play otherwise somewhat intelligently? If guns degrade over time just by their existing, then you are only encouraged to attack and play aggressively since if you don't do it soon...you'll soon just be back to square one as a bambi. Just with dirtier shoes. What if I don't kill people on sight? What if my gun is just for defense and just sits on my back 99.5% of the time? Is my friendliness going to be punished with an actual game mechanic? Lives in DayZ don't last for real life days and weeks, months, or years. They last for a couple afternoons, half an hour, seven hours, a number of logins over a few days perhaps. (There are exceptions, I know.) Guns can break, rust, all that...but they aren't fragile, either. Not so much that you should have to worry about your gun just not working a few hours after picking it up.

I own a 1927 Mosin Nagant rifle. 1927. That thing is 87 years old. 87. That's when DayZ development started (joke).  It's been through a freakin' World War. It's banged up, it's scratched, nicked, but it still fires and shoots like it was made yesterday. It's solid metal and wood held together by sheer Communist confidence. God knows how many rounds have gone through this rifle in 87 years, how many hands have held it, how many Nazis it may have killed...the point is that while you still have to maintain a gun, in the scope of your character's life and the life of the server in DayZ just don't last long enough to justify this kind of degradation to metal and wood and plastic. I understand it would make every shot seems more valuable...but so would making ammo less rare. So would more Zombies.

This would basically give an objective and technical penalty to both shooting your gun...and not shooting it.

You state, OP, that jamming should happen when dirt and grime gets into your weapon. But how would you prevent that? Not moving? Staying indoors? All this would do is encourage less mobility. But the worst sin in this idea is that it adds...

...dare I say it...

Randomness...to combat. You shouldn't aim your gun at somebody's head where you have been hiding and have it misfire and blow your hand off. You shouldn't hear bullets whiz past your head and turn the corner with your shotgun and have it just not work because the computer's metaphorical roll of the dice gave you the shit end of the proverbial stick. 

Want a better solution? Guns spawn with varying levels of wear and tear based on what kind of weapon it is. The more complex, dangerous, and the more moving parts it has...the higher the chance that it will spawn in less than Pristine.

I'M NOT SAYING THERE SHOULDN'T BE SOME LEVEL OF GUN REPAIR OR MAINTENANCE, but guns shouldn't get damaged from just having it or from shooting it. Maybe if you get into water you have to wipe it with a command? Maybe if you prone too much you have to clean it with another command? We already have ammunition that has different states of wear. Maybe the ammunition should be the focus instead of the firearm? Maybe it, too, should spawn in different wellness states.

I think that firearm maintenance in this game should be like hunger and thirst and temperature. They should always be nagging at you, and should be catastrophic if you ignore it. 

I get your point. But I thing damage over time should start as soon as its in a persons inventor not on the ground. I like realism but it can go overboard. But jamming and malfunction is a part of having a gun and using it. The gun models in the game should function as there act in real life. M4s jam allot if you don't keep it clean and AKs can go on a long time with out maintenance but they are not unbreakable. Use it allot something will brake or burnt powder will build up. I have a WASR 10 AK variant and man that thing gets dirty. It chugs along just fine but I have had it jam on me. Well using steel case ammo don't help. The put gun cleaning kits in the game. I think we all will be using them sooner or later. I think certain guns will have more value just because how durable a certain model is.

I get your point. But...

If you got my point on this matter, you would agree with me. 

[..] 

Actually an argument for degradation from use as it introduces a tradeoff and a choice to make as well as make you care about your guns condition. Sorry but firearm maintenance is a big part of firearm usage. Use your gun and it will degrade from this use. Maintain it to keep it going. Nothing wrong here - in fact it would enhance the game.

But the worst sin in this idea is that it adds...

...dare I say it...

Not a sin either but rather a simplification of the complex system happening in real life where the outcome is... exactly the same. Its not about the luck factor but about thoughtful avoidance of those risks. Keep your gun in good condition to avoid jamming. Stay within your weapons effectve range to avoid missing because of dispersion. Those things add depth to the game. You may stress your luck and go for risky options or you can avoid being slave of the random number god by thinking beforehand.

Not better. Thats static and unauthentic. I would rather like it if weapons would degrade very slowly when used and only take significant damage from getting hit. Condition would determine dispersion, bias and chance of jamming and cleaning your weapon would improve condition. I also think weapons in relatively good condition should never jam - this should only happen with significantly damaged ones (allows to eliminate "bad luck" using maintenace). Maybe weapons might also slowly degrade while being wet (rust).

Thats basically what this is about. When using a firearm it condition would slowly worsen. Not to a degree that a few firefights would wreck it but if you don't care about it it will perform worse and worse until it finally becomes unausable. So someone who fights a lot should have a cleaning kit ready but someone who barely uses a gun would be able to go on for quite some time.
  • Like 2

Hello :

simple and effective way to include jam into the game :

- make weapons spawn at different state of wearness

- worn and pristine weapons don't jam

- damaged weapons have X% chances to jam

- badly damaged weapons have XX% chances to jam

every XX or XXX rounds, the weapon go from pristine to worn, worn to damaged etc... weapons cleaning kit can be used to regain the worn status.

this mecanism is simple and easy to understand, takes in acount jam, weapon degradation and makes weapon cleanig kit a valuable item.

• Like 1

Lack of maintenance, damage and ammunition condition should be factored into the rate of jamming/misfires.

Weapons shouldn't degrade before your eyes as they did in Far Cry 2 where you'd buy a brand new AK from one of the gunshops and have to ditch it  for a battlefield pick-up after 2 firefights/an hour in-game as it had turned a nice rusty red colour and was jamming regularly.

Military weapons are built to endure years of use and abuse with parts such as bolts and barrels having service lives of tens of thousands of rounds fired.

On 10/16/2014 at 0:17 AM, Rags! said:

-snip-

Nope, I disagree almost entirely.

You are saying that the jamming/malfunction process would be random, a computer's "roll of the dice". My response: yeah, and? So is, arguably, the most important aspect of the game. Whenever you loot a loot spawn, the computer rolls some dice, modified on  the specific conditions of the loot spawn location.

So as it should be with firearms and jamming. 

Don't want your firearm to jam? Clean it regularly, don't use shitty ammunition,clean it regularly, keep water, mud and dust out of it, clean it regularly ,  fire single rounds or in measured bursts, not "spray and pray", oh, and clean it regularly.

Field-stripping and cleaning a firearm can take a few minutes if you know what you are doing. It takes even less time in Day Z, as to be absolutely trivial. "Weapon repair kits" should repair a weapon from any state to fully pristine, while some rags would repair it one damage level.

Weapon condition, ammunition condition and rate of fire should all have an effect on the chances of jamming. 

Don't want your firearm to jam? Follow the directions above. Besides, jamming/malfunctions aren't really the end of the world. Reload and try again.

• Like 1