cheeseburger8

How do I not panic/shake when I get in a gunfight?

Experience in this game will reduce that. I get the same thing, adrenaline rush is CRAZY. EMBRACE IT and hope that feeling never goes away.

Personally I use Shadowplay to save replay of firefights I get in, after that, I watch them and learn from them. The mistakes, what I could have done better, makes me feel more confident when I assault multiple people. ( can't snipe shit, usually rush guns blazing killing first, take cover and flank other remaining players)

Edited by korpisoturi

Oh also. Don't alt+tab while near armed people. The game will auto fire upon getting back in and you'll have a bad time.

• Like 2

Practice, a lot. Not just PvP.

Whenever you have some extra spare ammo and a gun go to some isolate place pick some target (three, animal, anything) and start shooting. Get used to recoil, sway (try sprinting for a moment, then trying to aim), iron sights etc. You'll get more confident later when having to defend yourself with a weapon you're familiar with.

I have 200+ hours in this game, and very good at handling stress irl. But i tell you what, adrenaline and stress will always smack you right in the ass as soon as those first bullets go wizzing by your head. You have to realize thats good though, its fight or flight and those reactions lead to you performing better.

The only thing i could say about relieving over anxiety is to thoroughly prepare by scouting and running through scenarios. Try to always have an idea what you are getting yourself into before you go balls deep. Having the jump on someone will win you 90% of all firefights if it results to that. Dont be afraid of failing, it happens. Just think about what you did wrong and what you can do next time to turn the tide.

This is my second post on the DayZ Forums,.

I notice whenever I get into a gunfight, I shake uncontrollably, and always end up getting killed. Every time there's a gunshot, my hand spazzes out at like, a million miles an hour, I can't help it! 

Yet, I see these dudes on YouTube who can take on a group of 4 fully decked-out players and not even flinch. But for me, when there's a gunfight, I ALWAYS get killed. I've never won a gunfight... what do I do?

Thanks in advance for all responses, :D

first rule of thumb of getting rid of this is not getting attached to your gear. if you are new to the game just know that it only takes a hour or so to gear up not long at all. just have to know how to find the right places to find the besrt gear.

after a few gun fights and you actually winning them you will be more confident. i used to be the same way now i can roll up on like 4 people on my own and feel confident enough to attack them if needed and know i have a good chance on surviving.

My right hand is completely numb due to my carpal tunnel syndrome, which means no shaking! Also means I get to enjoy the stranger every time. 

ha ha, veiled masturbation joke

Still happens to me but you get the hang of it after a while, like earlier today i was talking with a guy and he pulled a gun on me and shot, 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr2niKEF7nk

The trick I find is to be aggressive, but not stupid, don't run out in the open, be patient but get into the mindframe that whoever just tried you is going to die, does help really - 

BTW, the vid is what happened earlier - recorded it for a different  post but it still applies here i suppose,

Anyway best of luck, practice getting accurate shots and as your confidence increases you'll relax more!

Cobaas

470ish hrs on stand alone still have my heart tearing through my chest in some combat situations ... i make every effort to minimize pvp so i can keep chasing that feeling 

only fear i will be one day found being choked with my own pants  playing tetris in an alleyway being burnt with cigarettes and tazered just for a cheap thrill

I notice whenever I get into a gunfight, I shake uncontrollably, and always end up getting killed.

Experience. Enjoy the shakes while they last. The longer you play the calmer you get. No quick fix here, sorry.

Experience. Enjoy the shakes while they last. The longer you play the calmer you get. No quick fix here, sorry.

Interesting that you put it that way. It is an adrenaline rush, isn't it? I still get the shakes from time to time if I find myself in a particularly crazy situation, but after 600 hours they are farther and farther between.

• Like 1

Just remember to breathe. I view the game as an outlet, yes the game brings its own stress and anxieties but it can also bring great calmness to ones being. I still get the adrenaline rush with over 200+ hours mostly because I don't look for PvP. When it does happen and its a great moment and it is all over my hands are shaking too. I take a break, go smoke and can just feel the calm coming over me. After 5-10 minutes I will get back on and keep going on what I was originally doing.

Good news, everyone.

I have been playing DayZ for... what? 6 months now? With over 300 hours, I am not panicking anymore.

Story: Me and my friends (Toby and John) were in Berezino. John says he's in the piano house saying there's gunshots (50/50 server).

So I go over to the piano house, scared of nothing, and I see the guy. He starts chasing me, shooting with a shotgun, he was a terrible shot.

Suddenly, he has to reload, so he runs away. I am at his legs, and hit him, but they weren't broken.

So me, John, and Toby all meet up and are in cover by some flat-bed train cars. Suddenly, he runs around the corner, shoots John in the legs, and Toby was in his inventory.

With near split-second reaction time, I mutter "There he is!" and shoot him, in the face, with a shotgun.

Finally, a fun gunfight.

• Like 1

I've got about 100hours with minimal PvP experience as I tend hang around the North West side of the map. unfortuntly the other day  me and my friend encountered two other players in a small town just south of NWAF. We both panicked, our communication went down hill quick to the extent where he started shooting at me as I moved from one house cover to the next. Long story short he got away while I was shot. My hand was shaking, breathing quickly and I felt really vulnerable. Definitely learnt from that experience. 

I've been playing since the early days of the mod and ArmA before that, That shake and the feeling with it are why I love dayz.

This is my second post on the DayZ Forums,.

I notice whenever I get into a gunfight, I shake uncontrollably, and always end up getting killed. Every time there's a gunshot, my hand spazzes out at like, a million miles an hour, I can't help it! 

Yet, I see these dudes on YouTube who can take on a group of 4 fully decked-out players and not even flinch. But for me, when there's a gunfight, I ALWAYS get killed. I've never won a gunfight... what do I do?

Thanks in advance for all responses, :D

I am a  DayZ veteran, from the mod to here. I've kept my fully geared character for over two months now, but in the beginning of standalone, I was the same way, but what I did was went on a full hardcore (1st person) session with my "new hardcore character" went up, talked to people. The reason you are shaking and stuff is you don't quite know how easy it is to kill others. When you come across a hostile player, if you have a weapon, or a gun, or your fists, just try to kill them, and if you have more stuff on your regular mode character, naturally you wont be scared in hardcore because "hey if I die I still have my other character" so after you see how easy it really is to kill others, you'll not shake as much in firefights!. (Oh btw to anyone who thinks hardcore mode is dumb, I played it once for a good 3 hours straight, and its quite amazing, even though you cant see everything, neither can other players..)

Still happens to me but you get the hang of it after a while, like earlier today i was talking with a guy and he pulled a gun on me and shot, 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr2niKEF7nk

The trick I find is to be aggressive, but not stupid, don't run out in the open, be patient but get into the mindframe that whoever just tried you is going to die, does help really - 

BTW, the vid is what happened earlier - recorded it for a different  post but it still applies here i suppose,

Anyway best of luck, practice getting accurate shots and as your confidence increases you'll relax more!

Cobaas

the reason why he pulled out his gun was because you re loaded, he thought you were gonna put a round into him.

I responded to this topic but I want to add a few more things.

You shake because you are alive, the closest thing to a firefight IRL is DayZ. Apart from paintball and airsoft.

I bet there are people here who plays COD, tell me, after a while, do you actually shake while playing COD? What about those game modes which you don't respawn till next round? Sometimes you are the only one alive. If you die, you lose the round. I know people will dislike my COD example, but whatever.

At DayZ you are always alone, you die, you lose a lot. It is the fear of death. Thats why you shake.

Edited by Yazar8
  • Like 1

I responded to this topic but I want to add a few more things.

You shake because you are alive, the closest thing to a firefight IRL is DayZ. Apart from paintball and airsoft.

I bet there are people here who plays COD, tell me, after a while, do you actually shake while playing COD? What about those game modes which you don't respawn till next round? Sometimes you are the only one alive. If you die, you lose the round. I know people will dislike my COD example, but whatever.

At DayZ you are always alone, you die, you lose a lot. It is the fear of death. Thats why you shake.

Well put! After a while though the fear of losing loot wears off and you just go around talking to people - having adventures with strangers who sometimes shoot you in the back, but also can be good fun to run around chernarus with!

Might be late to this reply party, but I want to share my experience. Last night I got into a little skirmish and my heart felt like it was going to explode. It was amazing.

My brain gets so involved in this game that my heart started going into survival mode and began pumping adrenaline like i was actually facing death.

With that being said, focus on breathing.

my body is pretty much 50% covered in tattoos, and i hate needles.

I've focused on breathing to get through some of the tough ones. Same applies here.

Hell, women get through child birth this way too.

We're also going to have to get used to it, the more it happens, the more used to the adrenaline rushes we'll be.

A little polishing the manpole before playing surely breaks the tension, if you know what I mean ^^

Sadly, unless you are a hardened combat veteran, there is no way around this.

After many hours in dayz this should go away.

I still get this when im doin stuff with a highly geared character.

200 hr's+ played still get this every time someone succesfully flanks or sneaks up on me at the NWAF, I always have a giggle whenever i imagine what the other part must be thinking since my character suddenly did twenty spins in half a second ;)

Maybe pick up Arma 3 and play wasteland. Get comfortable with the style of combat. If you have arma 2 play the dayz mod. Some overwatch servers are usually packed and its a frag fest on the coast.