cheeseburger8

How do I not panic/shake when I get in a gunfight?

In my opinion, it's the best part of DayZ. I've never played another game that gave me the adrenaline rush and sweats that this game gives me at times. With the hand shaking as others have said, it just takes time and experience in knowing what you're good at be it fighting, fleeing or whatever suits your boat.

• Like 1

1. Practice PVP in other First Person shooters... 

The problem with this, is that while you can hone your shooter skills, you may or may not deal with the nerves. When I played Quake II, and CS competitively, I would get jitters when playing Scrimmages against good clans.. and then that went a way a bit, and I got jitters when I played in League/Ladder matches... then that went away a bit, and I would get jitters on LAN.. Why? Because I MENTALLY felt that those "settings" were higher-stakes.. I had more to prove. I would also get jitters in WOW when dueling against someone who I had a beef with.. or I would get jitters in Arena matches against really high ranked players or people who I knew and was competitive with.. so..

2. Put yourself in stressful situations, and when you notice you're starting to get jitters/shakes, do the following

-Breath. In. Out. In. Out. Slow your breath, slow your mind, slow your heart-rate.. 

-Remind yourself that the jitters/adrenaline is your fight or flight response kicking in, and that you have nothing to fear.

Because...

I will not fear

Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain

The person shooting at you is just another human being.. someone sitting behind their computer.. They have a heart, a brain, blood pumping through their veins, and their ability to kill you in a game is completely dependent upon their wits versus yours. Are you going to let that other person beat you in that contest of wits? How dare they challenge you.. How dare they disrespect you. How dare they risk your life.

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 3

I used to have the same problem, always ended up getting killed because I got incredibly scared and began to shake.. Take deep breaths, remind yourself it's just a game. The more playtime you have and fire fights you get into, the easier it will be to control this.

True story though. The first few months I played this game were the best. All the unknown and the fear of death, it was a really deep experience that I wont forget! 

Now its just an awesome experience!

• Like 1

Now that I'm getting in more and more gunfights, I'm starting to calm down. My very first gunfight, about 5 minutes after I died, I was non-stop shaking, and when I got up I almost fell over b/c my legs were shaking.

Today, I was told to put my hands up in Elektro (keep in mind, I had my two buddies Gabe and Red with me), I sprinted away, magnum in hand, fuzzyness going down my legs. After Red sprinted past me (I was going one way, away from the bandit, and he was going torwards the bandit), I had decided to turn around and face the bandit with Red. However, as soon as I turned around, I heard the sound of a shotgun blast and Red fall. The bandit sprinted into some bushes, and this is where I realize that I have never been this calm in a gunfight, I fire 3 magnum shots into the bushes blindly. Evidently, it knocked him unconscious, and Gabe finished him off. Technically, the kill was mine, and Gabe just finished him off (Gabe even said this himself, I'm not selfish or anything).  

I'm glad I was able to ACTUALLY kill someone who told me to put my hands up.

Tip: Never put your hands up, RUN... wait 'till they're distracted!!!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for all the replies, they were all helpful.

Pilgrim, thank you so much for the awesome reply. Now that I think about it, dying isn't so bad! As a matter of fact, being decked out gets boring after a while (not saying I'm gonna jump off the clock-tower in Novo or anything), but even if I do die, like you said, it's the fun all over again. I find that Pilgrim's post was very helpful (everyone else's was too, but his was very informational and longer), and I really appreciate it.

I want to emphasize that EVERYONE ELSE'S POSTS were EXTREMELY helpful, but Pilgrim's was the best reply on a forum that I've gotten, ever.

Thank you. :D

I agree. This should be a sticky! Well done Pilgram, well said.

• Like 2

Now that I'm getting in more and more gunfights, I'm starting to calm down. My very first gunfight, about 5 minutes after I died, I was non-stop shaking, and when I got up I almost fell over b/c my legs were shaking.

Today, I was told to put my hands up in Elektro (keep in mind, I had my two buddies Gabe and Red with me), I sprinted away, magnum in hand, fuzzyness going down my legs. After Red sprinted past me (I was going one way, away from the bandit, and he was going torwards the bandit), I had decided to turn around and face the bandit with Red. However, as soon as I turned around, I heard the sound of a shotgun blast and Red fall. The bandit sprinted into some bushes, and this is where I realize that I have never been this calm in a gunfight, I fire 3 magnum shots into the bushes blindly. Evidently, it knocked him unconscious, and Gabe finished him off. Technically, the kill was mine, and Gabe just finished him off (Gabe even said this himself, I'm not selfish or anything).  

I'm glad I was able to ACTUALLY kill someone who told me to put my hands up.

Tip: Never put your hands up, RUN... wait 'till they're distracted!!!

Congrats... 

Having a few drinks helps calm the nerves as well, the russians in ww2 would sometimes hand out vodka rations before thier imfamous mass inf attacks, however drinking too much can have the opposite effect = shot one of my clan mates last night as he scared the piss out of me - luckily i was mostly in the bag and my aim was very poor lol. 

This is my second post on the DayZ Forums,.

I notice whenever I get into a gunfight, I shake uncontrollably, and always end up getting killed. Every time there's a gunshot, my hand spazzes out at like, a million miles an hour, I can't help it! 

Yet, I see these dudes on YouTube who can take on a group of 4 fully decked-out players and not even flinch. But for me, when there's a gunfight, I ALWAYS get killed. I've never won a gunfight... what do I do?

Thanks in advance for all responses, :D

We all used to be like that. I remember having shot everywhere but the target, and end up trying to beat someone to death with my bandages... Panic is a natural response.

The truth is I only became desensitized once I got into a LOT of gunfights, and afterwards it doesn't bother you anymore, You become used to the pressure of the situation. All or nothing, all the time.

And you have to set your own ground rules, or law of armed conflict if you will... Like when you tell someone to put the gun down or put their hands up and they won't within 5 - 7 seconds, it's open season. Or if you shoot, you better kill me because otherwise I'm taking your beans while I let you bleed out near a pack of zeds. It helps to think more clearly about it.

A random server I played on yesterday had the perfect message:

"Remember that it's not YOUR gear, you found it. You can find it all again just as easily"

I have 800 hours played and have fired various guns in real life.  I still freak out when I hear shots when I'm out in the open.  My first instinct, for whatever reason, is to push my mouse up, which causes my character to look up into the sky like an idiot.  My hands are usually steady but my legs shake for a bit.  Just shows how immersed you can get into this game.

I've read some great stuff in this thread, lmao. I'm glad to see how people connect so well over logics.
My only way to beat people is very simple; keep your character calm, don't sprint around, don't do fast movements, just nice and easily take your time to pull off one/two good hits and you're all fine.

Unfortunately whenever I shoot I ruin all these mofos items cuz I fear they might survive a burst.

So I end up doing pretty much what Peter here does

0.jpg

Edited by Chamil

"Remember that it's not YOUR gear, you found it. You can find it all again just as easily"

Sounds like something I used to say in the mod..

"There are no owners in DayZ, only users."

Define "easily". :huh:

The real thing for me in fights is staying calm and thinking rationally about the least worst outcome, while the bullets are flying around me. As said above, experience in other online games can be a real benefit here. In Eve, for example, you have invested months, or more, of effort in your ship and putting it on the line is an immense risk. I don't get as jittery now as I used to, because I've lost too much in games by failing to retain situational awareness.

In particular, having the best tool for the job at the right moment is crucial. In an urban fight, a Mosin or a pistol is often not the best idea, while a CQB M4 or an MP5 often are. And actually aiming at your target under pressure, instead of blinding spraying away, is an acquired skill.

More than once I've started fights accidentally because of misunderstanding people's intentions or situations (eg assuming someone is firing at me rather than at the zombie(s) chasing them). And more than once I've tried to run when I should have camped, or have camped when I should have run.

Great post OP, great point. Half Life 2, Quake, Doom, UT, etc - lots of FPS games and this is the first where I too end up shaking during a firefight, or at least after it. It's pretty awesome. I don't always get killed though, but it's always a rush.

It's because you don't kill a lot of people and DayZ has a great risk with death, it could take you hours or days to get back to where you were previously from a gear and progress standpoint, and certain items you might not find again for weeks (potentially, depending on how much time you have to play). You're also likely like me and not a straight KOS player, which explains a lot.

I'm not try to be a dick or anything, but if your legit getting scared, feeling panic by DayZ... If your hand are shaking....for real no joke, maybe you should take a break. Come one really? Just Relax, chill out every thing......is ok its just a game.

I used to play in a group a while back were peoeple would start screaming in TS feeling in total panic.........WOW...I just didn't get it. Its really distracting too, and kind of annoying. Maybe its those new rift gogles lol Or maybe its the horror movie type fear that I exp as a kid....thats kind of fun though I will confess.

DayZ is pretty intense for a pc game I will give it that much...but my god its a video game and you lose nothing. I really never get scared playing it, I sometimes will get a little jolt from it if a player or zombie sneaks up on me, but thats kind of rare. It can sometimes even make me flustered, dam it what botton do I press again. I do get a fun rush. The worst that will happen is your screen will go black and say "you are dead", then you will have to either retreive or gear or re gear. It's more of a pain in the ass then anything. Maybe its becuase I do drink pints while I play.....thats what it is...I play half snokered. So if your old enough go get your self a 6er.  Have your self a nice cold beer, in a nice chilled pint glass with a warm and fuzzy buzz. See how scared ya are then LOL

I was in the Marines, and can tell dayz is really is for that matter the whole Arma series, are fairly realistic for a game but are missing allot of the elements of real combat and training...Lets just make that really clear right now. Not even close, don't ever try to compare it. Based of my own exp dayz itself is a vary warped verson of reality, and I really don't hold to that standard or its players either for that matter. I  dont expect it to, I don't even want to be. WHY? It should be fun, a fun rush. I don't even hold my self to that standard while playing and don't take my self thats serous in game. In fact I crack jokes allot, I even go afk to grab a beer or a wizz on while on high pops LOL I say this though dayz from a simulation standpoint is pretty lethal though. Your odds of suriving for more then a few days are pretty slim, for some of us months...but something will get you at some point, unless your on low pops all the time. So who care, It's by design anyways...and the devs did a good job with that. At the end of the day its a interesting, fun game and a good simulation. Even more so when it is completed.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

Get to cover. It helps if you try to stick to cover all the time.

Breathe, take a second and compose yourself.

You'll never not panic when shots fly, but you can do a few things to keep you alive long enough to fight back.

• Like 1

I'm not try to be a dick or anything, but if your legit getting scared, feeling panic by DayZ... If your hand are shaking....for real no joke, maybe you should take a break. Come one really? Just Relax, chill out every thing......is ok its just a game.

Worst advice ever.

Thats like saying 'if you get a rush from riding a roller coaster, dont ride the roller coaster".

He should enjoy every moment of the adrenalin that this game can bring. Before it becomes more familiar. 

• Like 2

Worst advice ever.

Thats like saying 'if you get a rush from riding a roller coaster, dont ride the roller coaster".

He should enjoy every moment of the adrenalin that this game can bring. Before it becomes more familiar. 

I saying if your serously scared, hands shaking, pissing your pants......thats not having fun ...that just me. Step away for a moment, and take a breath. Hey play how ever you want, if that how people like it...ok then. I understand a rush, or a jolt or a rush sure. Hands shaking....thats just clear panic fear, and a dis conection between reality and the game. I get it, the horror movie fear, but were's the line. 

Hey have seen you video were there's a girl who was playing, who was totally losing it freaked out, and the people next door called the police on her.......I'm not kidding this really happened. There are people who get really freaked out by it. Clearly she was one of them. It was a funny video to an extent....but really were do draw the line and say this is game. I have heard people lose it playing before on TS....it to much for people some times. I really think if your losing it and getting freaked out, put it down for a while. Thats all.  

Edited by CJFlint

I saying if your serously scared, hands shaking, pissing your pants......thats not having fun ...that just me. Step away for a moment, and take a breath. Hey play how ever you want, if that how people like it...ok then. I understand a rush, or a jolt or a rush sure. Hands shaking....thats just clear panic fear, and a dis conection between reality and the game. I get it, the horror movie fear, but were's the line. 

Hey have seen you video were there's a girl who was playing, who was totally losing it freaked out, and the people next door called the police on her.......I'm not kidding this really happened. There are people who get really freaked out by it. Clearly she was one of them. It was a funny video to an extent....but really were do draw the line and say this is game. I have heard people lose it playing before on TS....it to much for people some times. I really think if your losing it and getting freaked out, put it down for a while. Thats all.  

No i hadn't seen that! Lol.

But if you read the thread hes not at that level. Just a healthy dose of panic in a fire fight. Gives you insight into how people act under pressure!

My right hand is completely numb due to my carpal tunnel syndrome, which means no shaking! Also means I get to enjoy the stranger every time. 

• Like 1

This is my second post on the DayZ Forums,.

I notice whenever I get into a gunfight, I shake uncontrollably, and always end up getting killed. Every time there's a gunshot, my hand spazzes out at like, a million miles an hour, I can't help it! 

Yet, I see these dudes on YouTube who can take on a group of 4 fully decked-out players and not even flinch. But for me, when there's a gunfight, I ALWAYS get killed. I've never won a gunfight... what do I do?

Thanks in advance for all responses, :D

I feel your pain... a word of advice.. dont ever, ever play dayz stoned... you may have a heart attack considering  you shake badly when sobar..

• Like 1

Great post !

during my firsts gunfights, i also had my hands shaking, it slowly go away with experience. for one friend of mine, it was even worse as his voice was clearly "shaking" too. but remember that the day you'll have a fully geared AKM, a smersh full of grenades and all other godies, your hands will still shake at the first bullet sound.

I think the most important part for your skill progression in this game is the 1-2 minutes of black screen between your death and your respawn. It's the perfect time to analyse what mistake you made and what good move your opponent made.

your progression should be like this :

first encounters : you panic, you not even try to answer the shots, just flee randomly (whyle prone of course :D )

with more encounters : you still panic, but you try to answer with your weapon (usually without aiming and firing all you have within 2 seconds).

with more encounters : heart beat acceleration but no panic, you aim at your taget. you still take too much time to reload/bandage and your moves are not alway strategic

with more encounters : adrenalin boost, 100% focus. you take your time for the first shot and you aim for the head. at this stage you should be able to move quickly to flank your opponent if you are in a bad position

keep in mind that you will learn and progress more in 1h of PVP in berezino on a full server than in 20 hours of hiking and looting an empty server.

I'm 440 hours into the game. 

My hand still trembles. Maybe it always will. 

Part of me hopes it does. 

• Like 1

It's fear. Fear makes you go into fight or flight mode. That shaking is your brain telling you to run. You either channel fear into bravery and confidence our let the fear control you. I have played lots of fps and PvP over the last 10 years so I'm sorta used to it...just keep practicing. Instead of running away, try and take 10 secs and gain your confidence and proceed...it will get easier with time and practice. Gl