Sign in to follow this  
Death By Crowbar

So I finally found a tent... any tips?

In searching for heli crash sites I stumbled upon someone's stash place where there were a few things including spare tents. Trying to be a good fellow survivor I took one tent and left the rest (you're welcome!).

So now I've gotta make use of this thing. Any tips?

I saw a thread from 10/5 about taking care to not fill it completely or risk a bug where items become invisible. I also understand I should only use it on servers with persistence enabled. How do I tell if this is the case?

Any tips would be appreciated.

• Like 2

I'm curious as well.  I read a post from right after .49 where they said persistence was still 50/50.  Have yet to go tent hunting and gear up aggressively since this feature has been suspect.

Why take one of those things? Look whats inside and help yourself. Maybe come back later. The owner will probably think he lost items beacuse of a bug. If he even noticed in the first place.

I failed to note - I chopped down some trees and bushes by it and had made a fire right there. I also moved a backpack. Whoever it was will surely realize someone had been there...

I failed to note - I chopped down some trees and bushes by it and had made a fire right there. I also moved a backpack. Whoever it was will surely realize someone had been there...

You sir.  Have bad camp etiquette.  He obviously needed help setting up the other tents and you just left them there.  You should have set up the whole campsite for him.  

• Like 2

No use for them currently, unless they have actually fixed persistence/duping on the official BI Multiplay servers.

just dont put things in there that you will regret losing. Im not sure about the persistence mechanic now (as i dont feel like searching for another tent), but in .48 my tent duplicated backpacks and weapons so at one point I had 10+ M4A1s that I ended up just throwing into the forest. Which then led to the server crashing and wiping everything. So keep important stuff on person and anything auxiliary inside the tent.

• Like 1

OP does realize that is most likely a duped tent he has.

With the .49 release I've neither seen evidence of duping nor seen any reports of it here, on Reddit, nor in the Feedback Tracker. So, there's that...

• Like 1

you either risk losing a TON of stuff by leaving it somewhere, or you carry it and lose a TON of pack storage space.  ooo, where can I get one? :-p

just trade it for something, and get another one when persistence is trustworthy.  or park the character with the tent and just play the other until persistence is trustworthy.

• Like 1

I've lost one tent so far. Only food thankfully. Persistence seems to be working fine. We have 7 tents in our city so far.

I've lost one tent so far. Only food thankfully. Persistence seems to be working fine. We have 7 tents in our city so far.

You building a tent city?? :)

Maybe......

Is it like, a solo thing? Or is it like a communal thing, like a trailer park? If it's a group effort I've got a tent and I'm looking for a place to pitch it! I'm a good neighbor and don't steal, but I am into deforestation and cooking and killing all local wildlife.

In searching for heli crash sites I stumbled upon someone's stash place where there were a few things including spare tents. Trying to be a good fellow survivor I took one tent and left the rest (you're welcome!).

So now I've gotta make use of this thing. Any tips?

I saw a thread from 10/5 about taking care to not fill it completely or risk a bug where items become invisible. I also understand I should only use it on servers with persistence enabled. How do I tell if this is the case?

Any tips would be appreciated.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/211900-which-items-are-persistent/?p=2123975

The short of it: if you can keep it on you and your shelf life is long…keep it until the system works. If its not a big deal to you, junk it or trade it. They don't work and whatever you put in it will disappear permanently as well as the tent itself.

System works fine for me, got tents in 3 diff servers, and all are working fine. I've placed them in servers with Persistance:on in name, so have that in mind when choosing server to hide your tent. 

As for advices, best find a place, where u can hide your tent from 3 sides, leaving it visible only when aproaching from some angle. Also don't place it near common paths (not roads, paths from point A to B where ppl run thru forests or sth). 

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/211900-which-items-are-persistent/?p=2123975

The short of it: if you can keep it on you and your shelf life is long…keep it until the system works. If its not a big deal to you, junk it or trade it. They don't work and whatever you put in it will disappear permanently as well as the tent itself.

Not true in the slightest. Tents are working, just finicky like the rest of dayz mechanics. Proper inventory management will prevent item reshuffling and wont cause items to disappear.

Just takes a bit of time to manage each tent.,

Can someone confirm if leaving backpack with items on persistent servers does the same as leaving them in a tent?

The backpack will persistet for several restarts, but will eventually disappear. Think we seen the mountain backpack at our camp for about 24hours before It magically stopped persisting.

So, some useful tips for setting up your tent:

-Do not pick a place because it is cool. As neat as the top of the hill is overlooking Novo, other people will think so as well. Setting up in valleys or obscure places is a good idea.

-Pick a spot on the map that is not traveled often. Sure that spot in the forest between [high loot are A] and [high loot area B] is convenient, but a lot of people will probably dash through that stretch of land while doing scavenging trips.

-Make sure your vehicles can reach it. If you cannot get a car down to your place without ramming several tree and losing a few tires, then maybe the place is too hostile.

-Finally, be sure to check up on the tent. After seven days of no attention the tent will move on to find a new owner.

This was made up off of the top of my head. A little simple and thrown together sloppily, but hopefully you get the idea.

Edited by Sleeves

-Make sure your vehicles can reach it. If you cannot get a car down to your place without ramming several tree and losing a few tires, then maybe the place is too hostile.

You must have come from the mod. There are no vehicles in DayZ Standalone (yet)!

You must have come from the mod. There are no vehicles in DayZ Standalone (yet)!

Planning ahead.

• Like 1

Is it like, a solo thing? Or is it like a communal thing, like a trailer park? If it's a group effort I've got a tent and I'm looking for a place to pitch it! I'm a good neighbor and don't steal, but I am into deforestation and cooking and killing all local wildlife.

I wouldn't recommend trusting me and my friends....we have bandit blood :) If you want to make a donation we could get that from ya and let you live :P 

• Like 1