svisketyggeren

I wanna eat u

Ur argument that we dont need cannibalism because u can survive in other ways is still not valid in any way. And again...u could make the same argument for guns. We dont need guns in Dayz cos u could defend urself with other weapons like axes...silly rhetoric is u ask me.

Cannibalism adds a new layer of survival to Dayz, just as fishing, hunting and scavaging does. Acording to ur arguments I could say we need to remove fishing in Dayz because we could just hunt animals instead. Do u not see sillyness in that argument? Ofc we want fishing in the game, along with other cool features that collectively adds to the survival aspect of Dayz.

At best ur argument is just ur personal preference...not a objectively based argument that clearly says that cannibalism should not be in Dayz. Objectively cannibalism is totally realistic. It adds another layer of survival to the game...and adds uniqueness too.

If u dont like it...dont eat ppl

Again, charge straight a zombie using any melee weapon, without abusing the zombie AI/pathfinding.  You are probably going to get your ass kicked. 

I've pointed out numerous times that cannibalism is not realistic, at least, not in this build, with the amount of resources there are available. I've used both my real-world credentials and references to real-world scenarios to disprove your theories. Ignore them if you wish, but that doesn't make me wrong.

"At best ur argument is just ur personal preference" I could say the same, and in fact, I am going to. You want cannibalism included in the game because you have this misguided idea about what Survival is, what it entails, and, from what I can read, you think it is cool. I have countered your arguments with valid observations about the game world, about how cannibalism isn't actually necessary by any stretch of the mind. If this game were set in winter, without the resources present, I would be all for cannibalism: it would be fitting. Now? It is not.

If you want realism, enjoy your shaking, trembling hands, that all but prevent you from firing a rifle or using fine manipulation, and you end up getting shot by other players for being a cannibal : )

Ur argument that we dont need cannibalism because u can survive in other ways is still not valid in any way. And again...u could make the same argument for guns. We dont need guns in Dayz cos u could defend urself with other weapons like axes...silly rhetoric if u ask me.

Cannibalism adds a new layer of survival to Dayz, just as fishing, hunting and scavaging does. Acording to ur arguments I could say we need to remove fishing in Dayz because we could just hunt animals instead. Do u not see sillyness in that argument? Ofc we want fishing in the game, along with other cool features that collectively adds to the survival aspect of Dayz.

At best ur argument is just a personal preference...not a objectively based argument that clearly says that cannibalism should not be in Dayz. Objectively cannibalism is totally realistic. It adds another layer of survival to the game...and adds uniqueness too.

If u dont like it...dont eat ppl then

...but I would eat u..

And lol, u dont need a ranged weapon to survive in dayz...u need ranged weapons because other players have it too. I only use the axe/blunt weapon to deal with zombies.

why won't you just say that you wanna be the sickest most vile survivor in the game. because that's all I'm getting from your posts you don't care about any realism or about the fact that foods plentiful yet you say you want it just because. so that means if your not eating humans for a survival sense then your just wanting to play as some sicko from the movie the road. just say that and we'll all understand, your point will be made and there will be less argument about why its not a viable survival method except in extreme circumstances.

BUT. FOOD. ISN'T. SCARCE.

Do you see how many farms there are in Chernarus? How many garden plots? How many orchards?

Oh cool! Apple tree! I'm going to go grab one of those appl- [You have found nothing].

• Like 3

Again, charge straight a zombie using any melee weapon, without abusing the zombie AI/pathfinding.  You are probably going to get your ass kicked. 

I've pointed out numerous times that cannibalism is not realistic, at least, not in this build, with the amount of resources there are available. I've used both my real-world credentials and references to real-world scenarios to disprove your theories. Ignore them if you wish, but that doesn't make me wrong.

"At best ur argument is just ur personal preference" I could say the same, and in fact, I am going to. You want cannibalism included in the game because you have this misguided idea about what Survival is, what it entails, and, from what I can read, you think it is cool. I have countered your arguments with valid observations about the game world, about how cannibalism isn't actually necessary by any stretch of the mind. If this game were set in winter, without the resources present, I would be all for cannibalism: it would be fitting. Now? It is not.

If you want realism, enjoy your shaking, trembling hands, that all but prevent you from firing a rifle or using fine manipulation, and you end up getting shot by other players for being a cannibal : )

Again it dosent matter if u could kill a zombie with a axe or not...I mean who in the real world actually has the factual information about how hard it is to kill a zombie with a axe? No one!

Ur argument that cannibalism is not realistic because there is enough of other resources just fails big time. U can still eat ppl no matter how much resorces there are...its realistic. And it is a objectiv argument because u can actually do it in real life.

Infact it is just unrealistic to not have it!

Im not gonna spend more time with ur silly arguments

why won't you just say that you wanna be the sickest most vile survivor in the game. because that's all I'm getting from your posts you don't care about any realism or about the fact that foods plentiful yet you say you want it just because. so that means if your not eating humans for a survival sense then your just wanting to play as some sicko from the movie the road. just say that and we'll all understand, your point will be made and there will be less argument about why its not a viable survival method except in extreme circumstances.

I have no need to tell  ppl that im the sickest most vile survivor in the game...fine I am. Whats ur point? The thread isnt about me...its about adding a new survival feature to the game. Its based on what u can do in the real world. If u have any logically objectivly base argument that say we should...then say so.

I have made several good arguments for cannibalism in the game now. Whether im the sickest dayz player isnt relevant at all.

Djez...its like some of u would be scared if cannibalism was added to the game.

Edited by svisketyggeren

How so? Is the timeline being advanced? Pushed to winter?

If not, then literally all of the points I bring up above are valid.

Canned food might run out, but rabbits, acorns, and other wild foragables will not.

It seems more and more the Devs have little to no idea of what is actually possible with Wilderness Survival training. Did you know that worms (and many other insects, for that matter) are actually really good for you, a great source of food in a WS situation? IN-game they are used as a form of torture/execution, because they make you sick. What.

Timeline? Do you mean the devs roadmap? I'm not sure what you mean. & IIRC, there is no fixed season at the moment. It gets cold enough to the point where we can freeze to death as if it were winter, but the colors of the trees would suggest that it's fall. But then on occasions, it gets warm enough to the point where you can die from overheating.

The points that you've made seem to be in regard to the game's current state, where as once it's finished, the gameplay is going to be very focused on survival. It is a zombie survival sandbox after all. It's not that forageable food will exactly "run out", but there certainly won't always be an abundance of it.

You can't always guarantee that you'll have a successful harvest neither should you happen to grow crops. You won't be able to find worms & insects during the winter. In regard to worms making you sick in-game -- While you can survive on earthworms & they're a good source of protein, in a real survival situation, it's still ideal that you cook them to avoid illness, which I believe you can do in-game.

As I said before, I believe that cannibalism can be warranted as a last resort measure. An act of desperation. I'm not saying that you should be able to survive strictly by cannibalism (although you very much could for some time until you contracted a disease), but it certainly has it's place in DayZ IMO.

• Like 2

It seems more and more the Devs have little to no idea of what is actually possible with Wilderness Survival training

I believe Rocket might have a different point of view on that !

:facepalm:

• Like 1

Timeline? Do you mean the devs roadmap?

I think the word he was looking for was "season".

I believe Rocket might have a different point of view on that !

:facepalm:

agreed didn't the man actually almost die from survival training and that's where he got the idea to make a survival simulator minus zeds.

Notice he just skipped over me pointing out that men wanting to eat boys or men is often sexually motivated ( if there is no scarcity).  So its creepy man.

Sounds to me more like a rather young person (typing u instead of you seriously?) who wants it in the game because it would be a 'badass' thing to do.

That's pretty sick because research indicates that men who are interested in eating others are normally sexually driven to do so in one way or another.   That's why serial killers  are the most commonly known people to do it.

We have plenty of food in the game so why are you so interested in eating other men?  LOL

Or maybe they just enjoy dark subject matter? lol

I have some pretty sick shit that runs through my head sometimes but i don't go out and act like a psycho going around doing stuff. In Dayz 2017 and even in Arma 3 Breaking point you do have the option to cut players up and eat there meat. That and zombies as well.

No it wouldn't. Many players wouldn't search for food anymore, because they can kill and eat other survivors. Would destroy the atmosphere in my mind.

Naw man you could do that in other mod zombie versions and it never destroyed the atmosphere maybe made it grittier but not everyone would go around doing it.

Cannibalism should only be a last resort, so you should only have to the option to do it when your character is currently starving and about to die.

If it worked like that, I'd be happy for it to be in game. 

• Like 1

Cannibalism should only be a last resort, so you should only have to the option to do it when your character is currently starving and about to die.

I concur with this; only having it as a last resort seems better than merely being able to eat anyone whenever you can - lettuce face it, what normal person is going to eat someone when they're anything other than starving?

Edited by Inception.

I concur with this; only having it as a last resort seems better than merely being able to eat anyone whenever you can - lettuce face it, what normal person is going to eat someone when they're anything other than starving?

Well the idea would be that eating human flesh leaves you prone to contracting the disease Kuru, which is very similar to mad cow disease. It would come with a risk.

& you can't assume that all survivors living in a post apocalyptic world are all in their right mind. The apocalypse could turn people mad, & people could view cannibalism religiously or from a spiritual perspective.

Any way you look at it, it fits the lore nicely. DayZ is seldom sane anyway.

Oh cool! Apple tree! I'm going to go grab one of those appl- [You have found nothing].

That is a game mechanic. One that I actually disagree with. But, you do have a point. 

I think the word he was looking for was "season".

Correct.

Believe me, I am all for a survival game. Make it hardcore, where food and natural resources are scarce! But, if you are going to do that, at least make the game-world and mechanics match up with what the gameplay is supposed to be.

To me, with my experience and all, I would have much preferred that Day Z standalone be set during winter: temperature would be much more prevalent, there wouldn't be natural resources present, the atmosphere would be bleaker, etc. All in all, to me, the game would be much more "survival-y" if set during the winter. 

However, this is not the case. It is apparently set in Autumn, a season where natural resources are relatively abundant and temperatures, while getting colder during the night, are still relatively moderate. I wouldn't really enjoy it all that much if I can stare at a pumpkin patch in-game, starving to death, all while that resource is arbitrarily denied to me in the name of "survival". Being forced to scavenge for food and cannibalize the dead while staring at fields upon fields of ready-to-pick crops isn't survival, it is artificial difficulty, a concept that really doesn't belong in a game that apparently prides itself on "realism"

That is my main gripe with this "cannibalism" thing: people say that food should be scarce, but in reality, there would be more than enough food for every survivor in Chernarus. Add these other sources of food (they can be limited, say, by having a percentage of  the crops be rotten in the fields, but you might be able to scavenge a decent amount if you search an entire farm) before  adding an ultimately gimmicky mechanic that, from what I've seen  above, will; ultimately be used as another form of torture (eating people while they are still alive? come on now)

I agree.  Fundamentally, I have no problem with cannibalism. The above mechanic makes sense. Make it an act of desperation, rather than something you can simply do to everyone you kill. And, for the love of God, don't let us cut pieces off of living people and eat it in front of them. We all know how that will end: trolling on Youtube.

• Like 1

We should be able to eat our own excrement.... because we can... right?!..Begone troll. 

Edit: To the yard please.. use the search function.

Edited by Slap_Fight
  • Like 1

Instead of doing this option, I prefer to be able to bake a bread or make an apple pie, since some item already laying around for the take. To be able to cooked baked beans or  tactical bacon using frying pan. Imagine having a great breakfast of baked beans, tactical bacons plus stir fried tomatoes+mushroom and a cup of coffee in game. uhhh makes me hungry already. I better cook some now. hahahaha..

Instead of doing this option, I prefer to be able to bake a bread or make an apple pie, since some item already laying around for the take. To be able to cooked baked beans or  tactical bacon using frying pan. Imagine having a great breakfast of baked beans, tactical bacons plus stir fried tomatoes+mushroom and a cup of coffee in game. uhhh makes me hungry already. I better cook some now. hahahaha..

Agreed. Hot food would also be a serious boon to survival: it is already hot,so it is easier to digest, it warms up your core (helps prevent hypothermia), and is a great morale booster.

What would put you in a better mood: a cold can of beans eaten on the side of the road, or a nice plate of hot beans, corn, and onions, some fresh ham, eggs, and a solid slug of vodka?

.....I'm hungry now, goddammit. And I want some Vodka!

• Like 1

I get from the posts in the thread that some ppl feel cannibalism would be to extreme. In that way, if it was implemented, u would also have natural aversion against using it in the game. And thats a good thing...it would work as intended. It would be the last resort, u really dont wanna do it...but its either die or eat ur "friend". Maybe some will choose to die instead.

I think some need to put things in perspective too. If u feel cannibalism would be to extreme, to brutal and violent...there is already equally brutal and violent gameplay in the game. There are also other games, like Mortal Online, that have cannibalism. And its not used for making trollvideos on you tube or anything like that. Human carcasses are used in recipes etc. Cannibalism in Dayz would be even more fitting with its emphasis on survival.

I get from the posts in the thread that some ppl feel cannibalism would be to extreme. In that way, if it was implemented, u would also have natural aversion against using it in the game. And thats a good thing...it would work as intended. It would be the last resort, u really dont wanna do it...but its either die or eat ur "friend". Maybe some will choose to die instead.

I think some need to put things in perspective too. If u feel cannibalism would be to extreme, to brutal and violent...there is already equally brutal and violent gameplay in the game. There are also other games, like Mortal Online, that have cannibalism. And its not used for making trollvideos on you tube or anything like that. Human carcasses are used in recipes etc. Cannibalism in Dayz would be even more fitting with its emphasis on survival.

I'm not a crazy guy , but I loved the cannibalism in Dayz Aftermath (a highly underrated now dead mod , it was what standalone will be in a few months, it was realistic, well balanced and had a great base building system but I digress )

After killing someone (which fights in this mod were rare and adrenaline pumping because items were scarce so you used any resource you could) you could chop them up with a hunting knife and extract "human meat" which was half the value of cow meat so it wasn't overpowered but it definitely helped as that was the first mod I died of starvation in many times so given the last experimental build of .50 I would say that I would welcome cannibalism to save myself from starvation , but like others have said eating raw human meat a lot should result in shakes and possibility to contract a disease everytime you eat it raw just so people aren't running around eating everyone else for fun .

• Like 1

If I may ask, what exactly is the other "brutal and violent" gameplay? Day Z standalone isn't bloody, the weapons don't tear you into pieces, you can't dismember people, all the "torture" is really quite tame, and the environment is quite clean, and to be honest, rather pretty at times. The game isn't particularly bleak.

In fact, I would say Day Z is quite tame. It was a military simulator first, and a "game" second.