treetop82

To the guy I just murdered..

..but it could have been self-defense, I'm not sure because I suck at communicating in DayZ. If you were a friendly guy, sorry.

I am new, this is my 6th or 7th spawn. I've been shot at, chased down, died to insta-death bug and multiple zombies. This time I am stacked with good loot, and I ran into a crazy situation today. 

After walking into a building at the NW airfield, I closed the main door. A second later, I hear the front door open. I know there is someone coming in. So I pull out my Mosin and wait at the stairs, sure enough a dude comes around the corner barreling right up the stairs. I fire one shot, right in the chest (I don't see impact) but then proceed to sprint past him out the front door. After running like hell, I double back and hide under a tree aiming my reloaded rifle at the front door of the building. Finally, about 5 min later, out comes this guy on his knees, with his rifle out looking around, purple backpack and evil clown mask. I shoot, hit him the shoulders, another in the neck, then one more in the side and he's dead.

My problem is this. In most MMPOGs I've played I am sort of the bandit-killer type. I attempt to help the young and kill the griefers. Today I am not sure who I killed.

How do you guys communicate? Does voice chat work, if so, how far does it travel? Do people read text? Is there an accepted symbol for non-aggression without making yourself vulnerable? Do people read notes?

In-game voice is pretty much line of sight; if you can see them, they can hear you. 

Typing is slow and whilst you're typing, you're at a high risk of getting killed.

The "friendly dance" is the Q and E keys back and forth. 

• Like 3

After walking into a building at the NW airfield, I closed the main door. A second later, I hear the front door open. I know there is someone coming in. 

If you're at NWAF, shooting first and asking questions later is acceptable. It's a very high risk area, only the most adventurous or aggressive players go there. Everyone knows what the price to pay could be for making that trip could be. As much as you'd like to be the hero or good guy there, the odds are never in your favor of it ending well there. I applaud you for at least having a conscience about it. And if he has a payday mask on at NWAF - he's asking to be shot, even under the best of circumstances.

If you want to read about my recent encounter that was sorta similar in many ways, check this out:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/212020-the-amount-of-a-holes-in-this-game-share-your-stories/?p=2131533

I ended up a statistic, you lived to tell about it. Who handled it better? I don't know... but you survived.

• Like 5

___________________________________________________________________________________________

THIS IS A SHIELD TO PROTECT OP FROM THOSE SMELLY MONSTERS GOING TO MAKE A WITTY REMARK ABOUT HOW THEY DONT READ THE FORUM POST OF "TO THE PERSON I KILLED" THREADS.

• Like 1

Im going to sum it up quite simply for you..

In dayz its kill or be killed.

There are areas and moments where you can let someone live, make friends, etc.. but you have to learn when those moments are and being as they are such unpredictable dynamic moments, there is just no way to tell you what or how to go about it. 

• Like 2

THIS IS A SHIELD TO PROTECT OP 

Yeah, well, I got his back too. I realize these threads are common but they all have a unique twist and it's what makes the game great. I've got OP's back too.

PROTECT.gif

• Like 3

It is not "acceptable" for me to KoS anywhere in this game.

I really wish the people who played this way would stop making excuses, patting each other on the back, and encouraging/supporting others in picking up this practice.

KoS is KoS is KoS.

You're MURDERERS.

Not survivors, not bandits.

Edit to say: Maybe after a year or 2 of reading repetitive threads you'll stop putting up shields of text for new members who don't search the forum and contribute to a "master thread" o nthe same topic.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 2

I KoS anyone wearing a clown mask. No exceptions.

EDIT: Reminds me of Pennywise, which scared the hell outta me as a kid.

Edited by whiskeytango
  • Like 1

Omfg I was that guy you murdered!!!! It happened yesterday! I was with my buddy Patrick who was near death from starvation. So I was in a hurry to grab him some food. I ran upstairs of the command center and I you were posted up at the top aiming down. I ran right passed you. I don't remember hearing a bullet but I know I got hit bc my screen turned white quickly. I saw u run out full speed. At that moment I yelled and yelled on direct chat, "friendly friendly, where are you I don't wanna shoot" no one answered. My buddy assure me he was close by and watching the door. So I slowly kneeled out and turned right. Immediately was shot and killed. Then my buddy logs off haha. It was funny. Add me on steam though treetop. Name is Rick Grime Bitch. With a picture of rick grimes

• Like 2

Omfg I was that guy you murdered!!!! It happened yesterday! I was with my buddy Patrick who was near death from starvation. So I was in a hurry to grab him some food. I ran upstairs of the command center and I you were posted up at the top aiming down. I ran right passed you. I don't remember hearing a bullet but I know I got hit bc my screen turned white quickly. I saw u run out full speed. At that moment I yelled and yelled on direct chat, "friendly friendly, where are you I don't wanna shoot" no one answered. My buddy assure me he was close by and watching the door. So I slowly kneeled out and turned right. Immediately was shot and killed. Then my buddy logs off haha. It was funny. Add me on steam though treetop. Name is Rick Grime Bitch. With a picture of rick grimes

Wow, funny. Sent you a DM.

It is not "acceptable" for me to KoS anywhere in this game

Personal choices.

I really wish the people who played this way would stop making excuses, patting each other on the back, and encouraging/supporting others in picking up this practice

Kill on Sight is (fictional) murder, I agree. But, honestly?

* Why shouldn't I murder on sight someone who conceal its character face with an evil/creepy looking mask? There are no visible nametag, no real character customization...DayZ is already dehumanizing enough fellow players, but this people choose to wear a creepy mask. Who are them to me? Just competitors with a creepy mask. They compete with me for resources, so they're a threat. They choose voluntarly to wear a creepy mask, so they want to be seen as a threat. (Fictional) Bullet to the (fictional) head I say.

* Why shouldn't I murder on sight someone who takes time and resources to loot military areas? Firearms both in 0.49 and 0.50 are useful in dealing with players - not infected. They're personal protection against other human beings...and in order to be protected a simple SKS or an humble .22 sporter are enough, and much quickly/easily looted. But no, some people need to have an assault rifle...that means they are seeking problems, not trying to avoid them. Again, (fictional) bullet to the (fictional) head.

Just a couple of examples explaining why sometimes is advisable killing on sight.

KoS is KoS is KoS

If you kill me out of the blue while I'm running in a forest in the northern part of the map...maybe. But even then, maybe I have some kind of item you need in order to survive - and you're forced in a nasty choice: me or him?

Edited by DocWolf

Nice excuse to gloat about killing a guy in a game.

I am joking of course. You really do not need to make a thread every time you down a survivor. It is pretty obvious you want to brag about killing some ONE random guy when it happens all the time and is nothing special.

This thread has made me start thinking about my life choices, the thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of pixelated characters I have murdered over the years.

What do I do now? How can I continue on with my life with all the horrible things I have done?

Oh yeah, I remember, its a video game.

If you get ruffled that badly from being killed in a game, stop playing it. There is obviously some serious disconnect from reality going on.

If you don't like people telling stories from their time in DayZ stop reading the threads, put it in your sig or whatever you need to do to vent your frustration. I personally like them, I don't feel the need to comment on threads I don't like because (shock and awe) I don't like them...

This thread has made me start thinking about my life choices, the thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of pixelated characters I have murdered over the years.

What do I do now? How can I continue on with my life with all the horrible things I have done?

Oh yeah, I remember, its a video game.

If you get ruffled that badly from being killed in a game, stop playing it. There is obviously some serious disconnect from reality going on.

If you don't like people telling stories from their time in DayZ stop reading the threads, put it in your sig or whatever you need to do to vent your frustration. I personally like them, I don't feel the need to comment on threads I don't like because (shock and awe) I don't like them...

you sir are the james dean of the pixels... your e-badness will never be forgotten 

Personal choices.

Kill on Sight is (fictional) murder, I agree. But, honestly?

* Why shouldn't I murder on sight someone who conceal its character face with an evil/creepy looking mask? There are no visible nametag, no real character customization...DayZ is already dehumanizing enough fellow players, but this people choose to wear a creepy mask. Who are them to me? Just competitors with a creepy mask. They compete with me for resources, so they're a threat. They choose voluntarly to wear a creepy mask, so they want to be seen as a threat. (Fictional) Bullet to the (fictional) head I say.

* Why shouldn't I murder on sight someone who takes time and resources to loot military areas? Firearms both in 0.49 and 0.50 are useful in dealing with players - not infected. They're personal protection against other human beings...and in order to be protected a simple SKS or an humble .22 sporter are enough, and much quickly/easily looted. But no, some people need to have an assault rifle...that means they are seeking problems, not trying to avoid them. Again, (fictional) bullet to the (fictional) head.

Just a couple of examples explaining why sometimes is advisable killing on sight.

If you kill me out of the blue while I'm running in a forest in the northern part of the map...maybe. But even then, maybe I have some kind of item you need in order to survive - and you're forced in a nasty choice: me or him?

If you see someone and do not try to communicate with them before you fire upon them that is the definition of KoS.

Perceived threat or not.

You made your choice.

I role play what I consider a true survivor and I have a firm grip on reality when I do so.

I just have enough of a developed imagination that I stick to my characters principals regardless of situation.

Most people who KoS get bored of this game faster than those of us who don't.

I have seen countless players of just this type leave in a few months of play time and I'm happy to see them go.

• Like 2

If you're friendly strip off all your clothes and gear, make a gesture to show you've got nothing to hide.  If not is pew pew pew and we move to the next building.

Punisher

I am joking of course. You really do not need to make a thread every time you down a survivor. It is pretty obvious you want to brag about killing some ONE random guy when it happens all the time and is nothing special.

Why wouldn't you just ignore it instead of bumping the thread? Lol

Op everyone at the nwaf is an enemy,

Hell anyone with a gun in their hand is my enemy

man you picked a rough place to find food

• Like 1

I've kos'd a few times but I always feel bad when I do it, so I pretty much decided that I'm going to take the risk and be friendly.  It definitely punishes you though.  The thing that sucks about not killing on sight is when you catch someone clearly off their guard and are like ,"Hey dude, friendly" and they proceed to sprint out of the room, pull out their gun and start shooting at you.

• Like 1

If you see someone and do not try to communicate with them before you fire upon them that is the definition of KoS.

Perceived threat or not.

You made your choice.

I role play what I consider a true survivor and I have a firm grip on reality when I do so.

I just have enough of a developed imagination that I stick to my characters principals regardless of situation.

Most people who KoS get bored of this game faster than those of us who don't.

I have seen countless players of just this type leave in a few months of play time and I'm happy to see them go.

You need to calm down, #1.

#2, you need to do you and let others do them. I wont tell you how to play a sandbox video game and you shouldnt either. 

#3, without KOS.. you would have no need to call yourself a hero.. since everyone would just be, nice and I guess make up pretend stories about what they are doing in game (roleplaying).

#4.. players leave this game all the time, and players come back all the time.. KOS is not the reason why they do so.. nor is it the reason they stay. Logic is fleeting in your arguments, and I say that with zero disrespect as rude as it is to say.. you just have not thought this out to the end yet

#5. KOS is the single unending part of this game that makes it what it is. Not only is it illogical for you to say it should not happen ever, it is implausible that players given the option to kill would choose not to. Its human nature to explore, and while some feel the need to explore being a kind person.. others feel to the need to explore being depraved. To each their own. The way it is for me.. I am at times a psychopath, and at others an angel in this game. For me its much more engrossing to explore the dark side of dayz, then the light.

I mean.. its a game, why try to limit yourself or furthermore anyone else in what they can or cant do. Only dictators tell others how to live their lives. Dont be a dic.. tator. 

• Like 1

Please RP properly. We must roll dice for each action and have a deep condescending backstory to suit our edgy characters.

in most cases you'd be right... but in this case I believe the OP simply gave a detailed account of what happened and asked a genuine question.

it doesn't come off as the "haha I got yo shit foo!!" type of thread