Sign in to follow this  
Hi Im Brad

the bow is terrible at anything longer than melee range

i dont really see a point in the bow if its going to be shit

i tried to shoot at a zombie who was not more than 10 meters away from me, the arrow went barely half way and drifted just as far left as it went straight

not to mention that sniping past a certain range does the exact same thing

why are they adding all these weapons if they are going to make the gun play absolute shit????

• Like 2

give it time they'll get better a lot of the firearms used to be really really bad hell the shotgun being one of them now its a beast. though i do wish the bow was a viable option right now its not for if it was its what i would use all the time.

• Like 1

apparently the crossbow is pretty terrible too. i've never used it but i have a friend that tried it out several times, apparently really not worth it at all.

I hate the bow and have to agree but like Gannon said it will definitely get better , all early added weapons have seen their ups and downs but eventually get greatly improved. And that brings me to the crossbow ; I actually like it but the damage definitely needs a boost , it takes about 2-3 shots in the chest to kill someone at close range with it .. I've killed 3 people with crossbows 2 of them when the crossbow used to kill in 1-2 shots anywhere and the last when the crossbow was "nerfed" to what it is now (which I'm sure will change again) so it's not completely useless like the now and arrow Is right now ..

• Like 1

Sniping with a bow huh.

It's a bow what did you expect for it to be god tier weapon ? It's a starter weapon and an outdated one at that of course it will suck.

If you would look closely, the bow has sway just like all the other 'firearms'.  Try shooting the arrow when the bow sways to the left.  

It'll get better 

It'll get better

it'll get better

it'll get better

We all tell ourselves it'll get better.

apparently the crossbow is pretty terrible too. i've never used it but i have a friend that tried it out several times, apparently really not worth it at all.

this is just my experience, but the crossbow is much better with the sight. the iron sights are not good for more than about 50-60 meters, but it gets a lot better with the sight.

i dont really see a point in the bow if its going to be shit

i tried to shoot at a zombie who was not more than 10 meters away from me, the arrow went barely half way and drifted just as far left as it went straight

not to mention that sniping past a certain range does the exact same thing

why are they adding all these weapons if they are going to make the gun play absolute shit????

It'll get better 

It'll get better

it'll get better

it'll get better

We all tell ourselves it'll get better.

Grow a pair of balls and accept the challenge! Its very possible to use it the way it is. I'm not saying you can snipe someone at 1000m with it yet,, but thats not the only way to kill someone,, noobs ^^

Sniping with a bow huh.

It's a bow what did you expect for it to be god tier weapon ? It's a starter weapon and an outdated one at that of course it will suck.

Gibonez, you do realize that a "kill-shot" is eminently possible using a bow, out to about 300 yards depending on the type of bow and the weight of the arrow?

While I wouldn't use a bow over a decent rifle, the current in-game bow is by no means representative of what a real bow can do.

PS: Plenty of people hunt using a bow and arrow in modern times. They aren't "outdated".

• Like 6

I couldn't hit a docile boar at 15 yards with three or four shots. A hip-fired rifle brought it down. Bows are more accurate than people give them credit for. First time ever handling one in gym class I was sending arrows into the red 6" bullseye at 50 yards. But I'm sure it'll be balanced. All the other weapons have gone through some minor initial balancing even now. We'll see how it is after full release.

Gibonez, you do realize that a "kill-shot" is eminently possible using a bow, out to about 300 yards depending on the type of bow and the weight of the arrow?

While I wouldn't use a bow over a decent rifle, the current in-game bow is by no means representative of what a real bow can do.

PS: Plenty of people hunt using a bow and arrow in modern times. They aren't "outdated".

You are not going to be hitting any point target at 300 yards.

I am not saying bows have not been used at those distances in the past but they were used as part of volley fire large numbers of men firing at area targets occasionally hitting due to volleys.

You arent going to be hitting further than 50 yards at a point target. This is with modern compound bows with good sights too , a makeshift bow ahah good luck.

Sure you might find a video of a person hitting something at those ranges after lots of editing and camera magic.

It does not mean its feasible you would have a far far easier time hitting something at those ranges with just about any firearm. Yes bows are outdated equipment they are used for hunting not because they are good but because it makes hunting more challenging.

Edited by gibonez

I am not saying bows have not been used at those distances in the past but they were used as part of volley fire large numbers of men firing at area targets occasionally hitting due to volleys.

You arent going to be hitting further than 50 yards at a point target. This is with modern compound bows with good sights too , a makeshift bow ahah good luck.

And most firefights with rifles take place within 50 meters. Therefore, the range and accuracy of firearms becomes moot. Plus, when you fire your rifle, EVERYONE will know where you are. Bows are effectively silent.

Both platforms have advantages over the other. The bow wins when silence is needed, and in ambush situations. The rifle wins all other times.

PS: I've made several bows before, in the range of 60-75lbs weights. They will kill you, and can put arrows within 3 inch groups at 30 yards (the glass-tipped-arrows punched through the target, as well). Get within 30 yards of me, and you will have an arrow in your chest before you can raise your rifle. Enjoy bleeding out! 

And most firefights with rifles take place within 50 meters. Therefore, the range and accuracy of firearms becomes moot. Plus, when you fire your rifle, EVERYONE will know where you are. Bows are effectively silent.

Both platforms have advantages over the other. The bow wins when silence is needed, and in ambush situations. The rifle wins all other times.

PS: I've made several bows before, in the range of 60-75lbs weights. They will kill you, and can put arrows within 3 inch groups at 30 yards (the glass-tipped-arrows punched through the target, as well). Get within 30 yards of me, and you will have an arrow in your chest before you can raise your rifle. Enjoy bleeding out! 

See that is reasonable .

A crafted bow hitting 3 groups at 30 yards is perfectly reasonable but stretching that out to 100 yards is really reaching .

See that is reasonable .

A crafted bow hitting 3 groups at 30 yards is perfectly reasonable but stretching that out to 100 yards is really reaching .

Agreed. They should, however, be capable of reaching out to 100 yards (not necessarily with any accuracy. but still). Have you seen the projectile arc in-game? Atrocious. 

And my main problem with the in-game bow is that it is barely useful within 10 meters, much less 30. IRL, I can hold my bow out without shaking like a meth-head going stale. You "aim, draw, release", not "draw, aim, release"

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 1

I couldn't hit a docile boar at 15 yards with three or four shots. A hip-fired rifle brought it down. Bows are more accurate than people give them credit for. First time ever handling one in gym class I was sending arrows into the red 6" bullseye at 50 yards. But I'm sure it'll be balanced. All the other weapons have gone through some minor initial balancing even now. We'll see how it is after full release.

The weapon sway of the bow effects its despursion. Wait until the bow sways all the way to the left and the shot will go exactly where you are aiming. If only 45 feet forwards :P

I dont think they are working on them quite yet because they are tied into either physics or loot spawning (arrow/bolt retreavle) or both.

I use the crossbow a lot and it is seriously shit, it's effective range isn't even as far as grass draws & While a one hit kill every time is a bit much to expect I think it should deal much more damage in terms of breaking bones and targets bleeding profusely & passing out / shock (imo) 

Sniping with a bow huh.

Bows don't suck at all. Try looking back through history and read up on how bad it actually was and didn't kill thousands of people or game until bullets came along.

Oh really?.................

I reckon that balloon is head size, maybe even a little smaller and he's firing with gusting wind.

Edited by Jexter

Well it is a wooden stick with a rope tied to each end. Don't know what you were expecting, it ain't a modern compound bow with a laser scope and under-slung grenade launcher.

• Like 2

Well it is a wooden stick with a rope tied to each end. Don't know what you were expecting, it ain't a modern compound bow with a laser scope and under-slung grenade launcher.

Check out this small series on how this guy makes a bow "from a wooden stick with a rope tied at each end" lol ;)

Also, where did all the modern bows go - did the zombies hide them all? :huh:

Edited by Jexter

Oh really?.................

I reckon that balloon is head size, maybe even a little smaller and he's firing with gusting wind.

And a practiced shot, ranged, configured with a spotter.  He even isn't that confident about it.

Check out this small series on how this guy makes a bow "from a wooden stick with a rope tied at each end" lol ;)

Also, where did all the modern bows go - did the zombies hide them all? :huh:

True we need a super sports store like cabella's.  Wonder if they could do cross promotion, sell advertising on the store signage in game.

I would guess they would be more rare then rifles and handguns though.

Thems big bows.

And a practiced shot, ranged, configured with a spotter.  He even isn't that confident about it.

And?

He still made the hit in 2 shots at 300 meters. Snipers use spotters too.

The point was made that a 300 yard on target shot couldn't be made. This video proves that assumption to be incorrect, not forgetting that a man sized target is 10 times bigger than a balloon.

• Like 2