Sign in to follow this  
lys (DayZ)

Is a Down Jacket better than a Rain Coat?

Hey, I have a down jacket on, but i was wondering if I should switch it for the rain jacket?

Not sure which as better pro's than con's

Rain coat got 4x slots, down jacket had x3 last i checked, so even if both were water proof the rain coat wins. I've never used the down jacket.

Down Jacket is good if you have to warm up quick.  Also wear a warm hat, not a ball cap or a bandana or a hard hat, a warm hat (beanie, etc).  If you need to keep the rain off go with the rain coat, green if you can find it.  The military jackets are good for keeping the rain off too.

• Like 1

If you want space and rain protection, the gorka military uniforms are water proof and offer 6 slots. I play a lot of times at night, and never got cold while staying dry. The down jacket is still the best clothing item to get you warm, but if it rains or you're already wet, it won't offer any good protection against the cold and risk of hypothermia.

Green Rain Coats are a pretty darn decent thing to wear...rain or shine

They're a dull green color, they don't accent your profile, and they go fantastically well with Olive Assault Vests and Green Cargo Pants and such.  I often opt to keep my Green Rain Coat even after finding Gorka Military Jackets, even as good as those can be. 

Plus, in real servers Hardcore servers, the hood of the jacket blocks your rear view and the Down Jacket can prevent putting on vests and holsters. 

Just get a Gorka jacket. I've been eating one, along with various 6 slot pants and a baseball cap. My temperatures have been fine., in all weather. If I'm so for a wide at night, i stay to cool off, on which case i don a toque) beanie).

One nice thing about the Gorka jackets is that they come in a variety of colours and patterns.

I've also noticed that simply removing and putting on footwear cabinets the show temp changes.

Lol, Wearing one. Not eating. Stinking Lek of Edit fiction on mobile...

In my eyes the raincoat is kind of an wx-allrounder with one drawback: it can´t be mended. That is the reason I like to choose the Gorka-jacket (usually in plain green).

I had Gorka summer set and my character felt cold (was not wet) I got the autumn jacket and my character was still cold, I finally found the winter but I was still cold.

So I decided to ignore the whole "I'm feeling cold" messages.

Edited by Yazar8

The down jacket was a bit of a pain in first person, in that you couldn't see over your shoulder - has that changed recently?

The down jacket was a bit of a pain in first person, in that you couldn't see over your shoulder - has that changed recently?

No change, still can't see shit behind you, But it did save my ass the other day when i was close to hypothermia so i don't hate it quite so much now.

my experience the rain coat wins everytime, do u really want that big ball of fluff running along a treeline :D

Edited by friendlypilot

The down jacket is the warmest piece of clothing. But thats basically its only advantage. Less storage space than most other jackets, pretty damn bulky, not repairable - I can't recommend using it. Also I was walking at night on a hill in the northwest with a Wool Coat and was just fine temperature-wise.

The Down Jacket is inferior to most other jackets but superior to shirts (that should take up their own slot in my opinion). Also as written above its good for warming up but for staying warm its just overkill.

Edited by Evil Minion

Find Gorka jacket = problem solved. It's both warm and waterproof.

I still get the occasional 'you are warming up/cooling down' messages, but they always seem to go away with a Gorka.

Plus it seems to offer the same waterproofing as a raincoat, to the extent that I can just run around in the rain. Although that could be servers not noticing any effect of rain, which seems to happen a lot...

Wool jackets are working well for me.  Looks funny with a chest holster and all the other gear, but is warm, has 4 slots and seems that as long as indoors, even wet, you will get warmed up.