Sign in to follow this  
Taiphoz

Item Tetris is it worth it ?

Talking about the Inventory system and the fact that items take up varied number of slots based on shape and apparent size, although some items are just so stupid with how much space they take.

I was wondering why the Dev's felt that Arma's Item Tetris was better than a single item per slot method, there must be some reason behind the madness, I would like to think that Dayz is not lumbered with it just because it's what the default is for the engine, changing items to only take up a single slot would be such an easy change as well, I would love the dev's to trial it on the Exp servers to see what players actually think of it terms of actual gameplay.

I also don't like the tetris system too much.

They could keep tetris if there would be infinite amount of space in each container and then do it like in Arma 3 so a battery won't take as much space as a hat. Inventory just needs to be weight or space value limited and not limited in the tetris way.

/Tetris can be kept but slots should "unlimited"

Edited by St. Jimmy

An item per slot system is even less flexible and even less believeable. Bigger items taking up more space is pretty much a must for this kind of game. Having one slot per item would basically aggravate every single problem - a pen just taking as much space as an assault rifle? No thanks. "Item tetris" as you call it is great for gamplay as it creates more depth and requires players to be more thoughtful abut the stuff they carry around.

What I would like to see is the complete opposite: A refinement of the current system. Possible ways:

• a pocket system
  • smaller base slots
  • better stacking system
  • item rotation
  • items with different shapes than rectangles
  • adding weight (possibly with increased space)

What I don't like is reducing it to an automated capacity system where you simply put items inside a container until it is full. This might work with weight (should not limit you to still put in stuff damaging/destroying the container in the process) - but for volume. The tetris system is pretty nice and every simplification here would simply remove depth from a game that should have tons of depth. You don't have to play tetris - but if you do you should be rewarded with some additional capacity.

Answer to the topic question: Yes it is, so much!

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 8

All items might consume one inventory slot. All items then might have a weight-value and a space-value. Containers' capacities are limited by total weight and total space (e.g. 10/10 and 12/12).

This would reduce the tetris but still contribute to the fact that you have to organize your inventories.

Further there should be some means to prevent being able to carry a conserve (or even more) in your trousers.

After all of course there must be the need for thinking about what you want to carry with you. It must be "realistic".

Edited by RogueTrooper
  • Like 1

its add to the survival aspect in away keeps people from having too many items just like irl you cant exactly fill your pants and shirts with everything imaginable plus its alpha phased so its something they can and will problably play with as time goes on.

Edited by Rammur

I guess that is why we will have wallets... so "small"  items won't take a full slot in your normal inventory. Honestly... i think the Devs are already thinking about that details.

Edited by Cpanther

It's to limit what you can carry.  Otherwise people would just hoarde loot to the max.  You could have a stalker-esque style inventory where items do have a 'tetris' element; but the weight is a greater factor.  But that's just lager by another name.

I like the way it is, it adds a restriction (especially now without a weight system) to looting.  I just wish you could rotate items.

I would like to see item tetris have a timed system, as suggested before, the lower in the container, the longer it takes to get it out.

• Like 4

I would like to see item tetris have a timed system, as suggested before, the lower in the container, the longer it takes to get it out.

That will actually make a lot of sense.. specially in backpacks, it will also make you be more organize with your inventory. Things you may need in a hurry up top, and things that you don't use often down below.

Edited by Cpanther

See in my opinion it would just make it better if you were able to rotate items.

But having a pocket system would be glorious and i've talked to some friends about it in the past

An item per slot system is even less flexible and even less believeable. Bigger items taking up more space is pretty much a must for this kind of game. Having one slot per item would basically aggravate every single problem - a pen just taking as much space as an assault rifle? No thanks. "Item tetris" as you call it is great for gamplay as it creates more depth and requires players to be more thoughtful abut the stuff they carry around.

What I would like to see is the complete opposite: A refinement of the current system. Possible ways:

This exactly.  I posted somewhere about an idea to divide some of the slots for each backpack, vest, or other container into smaller quadrants. 

So for example a 25 slot hunter backpack might have 5 additional slots (representing the smaller pouches on the pack) each divided into smaller quadrants of 4 which only fit certain small and light items, for example batteries, fishing hooks, paper, pen, maybe even some of the smaller medium sized things like rope, loose rounds up to a certain number, some of the small medical items like syringes, water purification tablets, etc. - basically anything that is both small and has negligible weight.

This would be a more realistic way to carry a lot of small items that really take up negligible space and weight in real life, without having to sacrifice lots of "slot space" in an unrealistic way as we do now.

The fact that a fishing hook or a pen takes up as much "space" in a backpack or pocket as a 1911 magazine right now is silly. 

But I think the Tetris system is reasonably realistic in that in reality in packing things into a bag or any other space you have to take into account both the size of the item and space it takes up, as well as what angle it might fit into the bag to make it fit as well as to make it accessible. 

• Like 1

This exactly.  I posted somewhere about an idea to divide some of the slots for each backpack, vest, or other container into smaller quadrants. 

So for example a 25 slot hunter backpack might have 5 additional slots (representing the smaller pouches on the pack) each divided into smaller quadrants of 4 which only fit certain small and light items, for example batteries, fishing hooks, paper, pen, maybe even some of the smaller medium sized things like rope, loose rounds up to a certain number, some of the small medical items like syringes, water purification tablets, etc. - basically anything that is both small and has negligible weight.

This would be a more realistic way to carry a lot of small items that really take up negligible space and weight in real life, without having to sacrifice lots of "slot space" in an unrealistic way as we do now.

The fact that a fishing hook or a pen takes up as much "space" in a backpack or pocket as a 1911 magazine right now is silly. 

But I think the Tetris system is reasonably realistic in that in reality in packing things into a bag or any other space you have to take into account both the size of the item and space it takes up, as well as what angle it might fit into the bag to make it fit as well as to make it accessible. 

Not really.  It might semi-accurately reflect the space/volume taken up by larger objects, but definitely not smaller ones, or objects that can fit inside other ones.

Case in point: IRL, I can fit about 3 days worth of food (repackaged dried stuffs) OR a couple of cans inside my cooking pot, alongside my stove. OR, I can fit my sleeping kit into the stove. In Day Z, the same amount of food, the pot, and the stove takes up almost half a mountain backpack.

Same thing with pens, bottles of pills, maps, compasses.

EDIT: I just read the last part of your post, and realized that I said pretty much the same thing : P

I rather have an ACE mod inventory system.

Where items take up volume and you are not so much restricted by the items size but more importantly by weight.

Nothing stops you from carrying 200KG of weapons and ammo just good luck sprinting more than 30 feet before you pass out from exhaustion.

I like the current system because you actually have to think about what you are carrying, sacrifices have to be made. You can very easily survive with a courier bag and a hoodie.

I'm not autistic, so IDGAF much about the inventory at this point in time.

I like the current system because you actually have to think about what you are carrying, sacrifices have to be made. You can very easily survive with a courier bag and a hoodie.

The only reason I would be inclined to keep the tetris part is because it makes you have to mess around with your inventory. It makes it take time to arrange your backpack and pick up gear. I think that the impact of 'time spent shuffling stuff' is important in this game, because that time is time for something to go wrong.

Actually, I like the tetris system too.  But the biggest issue now is the random shuffling of items after logoff, which may cause you losing objects bigger than 1 slot.  This is why I recommend you to organize your backpacks by placing larger items first and then filling the gaps with smaller items.

1: can only fit things based on their dimensions - dimensions limit gear combinations (can't fit long-arms in backpack); drives advancement of carrying capacity (gear)

2: drives carrying capacity levelling

3: dimensions can be specific, and if you haven't organised your loot prior to entering high-risk areas with a mind for what you're actually after, you'll be spending time either sitting over the object re-arranging in-situ, or will need to run away, shuffle and then get that gear in.

4: weight system could just as easily acchieve the same thing, if values weight were fixed in line with area consumed by gear (aside point).

5: somewhat realistic: finite space requires descrimination of items and selection variations based on player need and desire.

6: classification of 'useful' gear (re equipment etc) through larger area/volume: larger space = more useful/important (situational).  At very least, quick ID of particular items through size.

No reason to change imo.  Stamina could be incorporated as an aside point if the devs wanted and i wouldn't mind much.  Rotation i don't think we need it, as it further limits what combinations you can have (within reason) or at the least, drives smaller items up into your pants and shirt, which can be more vulnurable than backpack/vest (increases risk of loss).

Edited by q.S Sachiel

That will actually make a lot of sense.. specially in backpacks, it will also make you be more organize with your inventory. Things you may need in a hurry up top, and things that you don't use often down below.

I basically already do this, as the lower end of your pack takes longer to get to usually, in terms of having to scroll/mouse movement.  I keep my loose ammo that I'm going to be reloading, closest to my gun in my inventory, so usually in my shirt pocket.  I keep my scope if I'm not using it in my next available pockets closest to the gun.  I keep the stuff I'm least likely to use at the bottom of my inventory, so the bottom slots of my backpack.

Maybe that's just me though.

As to the main topic at hand, I like it the way it is.  It works well, it limits what you can carry and makes you think about what you take.  A single item per slot is really boring.

• Like 1

I like the current system. Not all items are created equal and some are cumbersome and unwieldily.

I think what would be better would be to make each slot smaller. Basically take the existing slots and subdivide those into 4-6 smaller slots. So something like a pen would take up 2-3 of the small slots (half of one of the current slots). Weight should definitely become a factor carrying a heavier load should slow you down and tire you out faster. It would make for more variety of play styles and give incentive to travel light. I dont think weight should come into effect until there is persistent storage. That way you could have a secret stash somewhere and only carry the items you need for a specific "mission".

I'd be OK with storing certain items in other items not already done, like putting paper notes back in books, and transporting code etc, or storing a few cans in your cooking pot (yellow safety box, 300rounder and medkit need not apply) but breaking down cells to accomodate your ability to carry pens is not something i am cool with. 

Just an example i know, but if you do it for pens...

Pens should stack like bullets do. and paper should.

Weight & volume would be far better, but the grid is ok, just about. There's a new UI in the works, anyway (or there will be once the new renderer is in, or something).

The craziest thing is how you can put pitchforks inside backbacks, when visually they're clearly at least twice as long as the backpack itself.