Foreign371

Why does everyone kill me?!

No... i don't have to accept that... but you should "accept" that the game is about survival, not just killing everything that move.

Exactly, your killers survived by killing you. Despite your intentions, they chose the best outcome. Read the answer below, it should give you a brighter picture on what the game you're actually is marketing wise.

Playing the game wrong? Lol. I'm not saying anyone is playing the game wrong.

However the scope of what DayZ could become is limited because no one wants to communicate or cooperate with new people. Things like getting a group together with the aim of making a town safe for players on a server. I'd love to do that, but anyone I meet would kill me before I get to suggest it. The pvp element should never be removed, however I do wish players would expand their scope about what is possible in DayZ, even if it is just a tiny bit.

The fact that DayZ will always be limited in scope because the majority of the player base do not wish to engage with other players and try out new things is the fault of the community, and it is a tragedy because the possibilities as far as what this game might have to offer are vast, yet people will insist upon limiting them to staying a certain way because they only want to engage with others in a certain way. Those who are open to the possibilities just get shot by everyone else. 

Yes, you're playing the game wrong. DayZ has only one goal - to survive, and is advertised as such - "survival game". Furthermore, the concept has numerous media remarks that "other players are the biggest threat in this game".

Now to recall on your previous post - you died because you acted naive, therefore, failed to survive, therefore, failed to reach the only goal this game has. (To be a bit more specific, we all fail in this game, since we all die. The point is to live as long as possible and not die in a way worthy of a Darwin award nomination.)

Now to elaborate on your new arguments:

Players in DayZ do all the things you describe - raid towns together, build campfiers, make brawls, fool around. Hell, I do that too. However, they do it with others they already trust. You basically walked up to a random stranger and asked if he wants to go with you to [insert any preferred destination here]. What did you expect? He did a quick maths check, and you ended up as excess luggage.

Do you make friends by walking up to random people and asking them to be your friend? (I'm not trying to mock you here). You have to have something in common with the person you're trying to befriend, a mutually beneficial circumstances. Otherwise you just become a "who the hell was that?" person.

Edited by retro19
  • Like 2

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

~Ernest Hemingway

• Like 4

I find these pro vs. con KOS threads amusing.  I think it's safe to assume anyone that's been on the forum or played the game for any length of time knows where the maps hotspots are.  If you stay out of those areas along with the hight loot areas the chance of it happening to you greatly decreases.  If you show a little caution to your approach of places then the chances you might get killed become even less likely.

Just because you want to interact with someone in the game doesn't mean they want to interact with you.  If I'm on my way to meet my friends in another town and I don't know you I'll try to avoid you.  I don't know how many times I've had someone who wants to be friendly follow me and constantly try to engage me in coversation.  Obviously me running away or trying to avoid you wasn't clue enough for you so if you keep on I'll kill you.  Then you'll complain you got killed while trying to be friendly when the truth is you got killed because you couldn't take a hint. 

One more thing on killing fresh spaws, if you're in one of the hot spot cities then there is a good chance that the fresh spawn was killed in combat and just trying to get back to their gear or get gear quickly.  If someone even looks in my direction under those circumstances they're going to be spawing somewhere else shortly.

• Like 1

Never lsoe hope, friendly people exit too...

Few last meetings from the top of my head (random order):

1. Found some random guy running around balota. Cornered him, while telling him to stay calm. Handcuffed him. Searched his backpack, took an AKM drum mag he had. Then gave him the mosin (with ammo - btw, he had a mosin loader, first one i ever seen) i was carrying as i had no ammo for the AK, a makarov with mags and food as 'payment'. Then uncuffed him and went my way.
During the whole time he was asking why sohuld he stay calm and not move, as i'll kill him anyway. Ended up with a faint but relieved  'thanks for robbing me'.

2. Searching a barrack at zelenogorsk. Mosin shot from behind me. You are dead (was 2 days later, unrelated to the above).

3. Looting Pavlovo military base. I exit the last barrack only to see 2 guys up the road. According to the random pieces of cloths and random melee weapons semi fresh spawns. I run like hell to the forest only to notice i haven't been spotted. I wait a moment nearby thinking if i should engage them or not. end up thinking it would be a fair fight anyway and leave the area. 2 minutes later, just up the hill, while going to meet a friend at balota, i hear voice asking me "are you friendly?" after passing a little wall. I turn back without drawing my weapon to see 2 guys pointing AKs at me. After confirming that i am friendly and that i am not german ended up with a goodbye and everyone going his way. One of the weirdest encounters i had tbh.

4. Watching NWAF with a friend from afar with binoculars, laughing at some guy doing weird stuff on the top of the fire station. A while after, while still looking, hoping to get the occasion for a fun encounter, suddently i hear the whistle of a bullet, and my friend saying he's dead on TS a second later. ran away while trying to spot the shooter (friend suposedly heard a mosin shot, while i didn't when i was 5 meters from him). Never found the shooter. Server reset 5 minutes later.

5. Fresh spawn at elektro, i start gearing up and eventually reach cherno. Got myself a shotties with some rounds. While on the way to balota i notice 2 guys following me. One with an axe, the second with nothing. I class them as a low threat. When almost at the airrtip i suddently hear a gunshot and a bullet passing over my head. One of them was firing a magnum at me (they managed to get closer to me then before). Started sprinting towards the nearest building. After some running around i lost the magnum guy, only to be atacked by the second one... with a screwdriver. 2 shogun shells later he was calmed. I don't like it when people try to poke my eye out. I get hit in the arm by the magnum guy just after. I run to cover to bandage and reload, whiel looking back at where i was, i see magnum guy kneeling over his buddy. I sneek up behind him and unload 2 shells in his head... and those puffy hats seems to be quite resistan, as apparently not worries by my shots, he turns around and kill me with a magnum shot.

TL;DR: All types of playstyles exist, you just have bad luck if you only find bandits. And also, should you ever cross my path, you most likely won't be shot on sight unless identified as a threat, and played a bit with at worse (if i have the upper hand ;).

• Like 1

Well, this game is currently very basic and there are no vehicles you can't really do anything with groups other than run together to loot or kill everything.

If we had cars and trucks and boats and helicopters a lot of play styles would open up. A lot more zombies that aren't glitchy would increase cause for better tactics.

At this point there isn't anything to do other then loot then go on a killing spree. I've helped people, usually get killed when I get them a gun, you can't really do anything but force feed or kill people.

Surviving is pretty simple with the amount of food and low lvl zombies so only thing that is challenging and fun is pvp hunting, but even then it's pretty rough with DESYNC!!! I kill 4 people then the last person I kill dies and his gun is on the ground and it shoots and I get killed...talk about bs. 

It's too hard to trust people unless you know they are new and clueless. 

I haven't played for month's thought I just came back as a lot of new interesting stuff is being added.. But guess the players will finally kill this game though xD

I haven't played for month's thought I just came back as a lot of new interesting stuff is being added.. But guess the players will finally kill this game though xD

Oh poor you, would you like a consolation prize for loosing in a survival contest ?

I am waiting for RolePlay (Friendly) Server and Rules with online Admin like LS:RP (SAMP), There's no art in KOS.

If you want to be bandits, ACT like a bandit in game DO NOT KOS.

No other DeathMatch (PvP) Server in my favorite list. Act is an Art.

I hope there's more RP server than DM.

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Characters

This is not CS:GO

THis is not Battlefield

This is DayZ :thumbsup:

Make your own story.

KoS? no story B)

Used to happen to me all the time. As you get more hours in the game though, you will be able to tell better who you should trust and who you shouldn't. Not gonna lie, some people are very convincing and seem very friendly but will still kill you. I've been playing for a while and have been killed by bandits countless times but I still choose to play as a hero/friendly guy because I think that's what I would actually do and to me it adds another aspect to the game... Help everyone you can and shoot the guys who shoot you first. I've tried and being a bandit is just boring to me all you do is find good gear and shoot people. The cool gear is cool but that's it you don't get to make other people happy, you just ruin their experience. I have no idea why so many people like to be a bandit,

I have been playing for a month now and whenever I get some gear I get to someone pretending to be friendly and shoots me! EVERY TIME! Why does anyone who is friendly even playing this game? This game is for monsters who kill everyone they see. It is not possible to be friendly in this game at all. By this time playing I only found one friendly person in the whole game who didnt try to kill me. 

OK, so I have now had my first friendly encounter in the game.

I was in the Police station in Cherno looking for loot and saw a guy being mobbed by zombies out of the window - looked like he was having a hard time. I asked myself - do I ignore it and keep looking for loot or do I go help him? I went and helped him.

Turned out the guy was really decent - we shared some food and gear and both went exploring for a while until I got myself killed by a zombie.

I could have been axed in the back and had all my gear stolen - but sometimes it seems you have to just risk that. He was probably just as worried I might do the same but neither of us really wanted to do that.

It was well worth the risk.

To be honest this is an open sandbox game. There is no right or wrong way to play the game. Sometimes I will kill on sight, sometimes I won't, it really depends on my mood. I won't play a game where I need to avoid certain areas to keep some gear that I can get back with a little work. The first few hours after spawning are normally the most fun, and to be honest I now prefer to have a magnum and sks rather than an AK or M4. since you don't need clips and if you can't kill someone with those 10 or 5 shots then you're doing something wrong. 

I once had a player shoot his shotgun at me, only to miss, and then beg for me to not kill him as he'd used his last bullets. I didn't kill him, however I did cuff him, break his legs (and then bandage as I didn't want him to bleed out), put a sack on his head and strip him, then take everything he had that might help him recover, and left him crawling aimlessly towards a town.

I do normally try and engage in voice chat with those I encounter. No response and I'll normally kill. If you try to speak to someone and they don't reply they're likely up to no good, or don't speak English, which are both good reasons to kill.

At the end of the day, this game has little to no actual content beyond a few zombies running around and a need to eat, drink and keep warm. If as a friendly player your only threat was from those Zombies then this game would be utterly boring and completely pointless, and certainly wouldn't have attracted so many buyers in Alpha. The fear you have of being sniped, axed to death, or caught by a lunatic that wants to hobble and molest you is what makes this game interesting, and is likely what makes your role-play more interesting. If there was a server where PvP was turned off would you still creep around in cities and avoid dangerous areas? No, you would run around freely and within a few days be bored.

The chance of being killed at any moment and starting again is the only thing that makes this game playable right now. Dayz needs the Bandits and the Psychopaths, and knowing they're out there makes this game interesting and for that matter, realistic, for everyone. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure why KOS is frowned up by some people - mainly those who wants RP servers in the future.

I mean...picture this: your character is either a foreigner stranded in a quarantined country or a local stranded in his destroyed country. In both cases, your character's goal is surviving the apocalypse by any mean necessary. I don't know you, but if I'll ever be in  a post-apocalyptic wasteland full of murderous infected people and strangers I'll act paranoid, and trigger-happy. A lot paranoid, and a lot trigger happy.

Why are you looking at me funny? BLAM, I can't take chances. Do you have something I direly need? BLAM. Sorry, in normal conditions I'm a pretty decent guy; but if it's kill-or-be-killed I can't afford the risks of trusting strangers. Are you following me? Are you looting the same town? Are you endangering me in any way, real or imagined? BLAM, BLAM, BLAM. It's not a city riot, it's not an economical depression, it's not a time of slightly uncomfortable events...some kind of illness just destroyed a whole country, almost everyone is dead and the few still alive are frothing madmen that will eat your face if they hear or see you. There's no cavalry on the other side of the  hill waiting to help you; there's no safe zone. No authorities, no civilization. Nothing but you and your wits, and your need to survive.

Are those roleplayers really telling me it's not realistic killing on sight in this kind of situation? Because I love roleplay, and I understand pretty easily this is no social simulator. It's a survival game, and when you absolutely want to survive at all costs...you do bad things.

Edited by DocWolf
  • Like 3

I have been playing for a month now and whenever I get some gear I get to someone pretending to be friendly and shoots me! EVERY TIME! Why does anyone who is friendly even playing this game? This game is for monsters who kill everyone they see. It is not possible to be friendly in this game at all. By this time playing I only found one friendly person in the whole game who didnt try to kill me.

Dont give up hope there are still friendlies in this game even if scarce

But if we give up and start KOS we are just another part of the problem, making the game less fun for others

Thats how i look at it

Only kill when i have a good reason and only killed few survivors

i List on my bio how they died and why

Help me remember and respect lives I've taken.

Goodluck tho with the rest of your gameplay

Hope you have better experiances

And if our paths ever cross i hope i can be one more friendly helps you out and not lose faith in friendly players

without the abundant danger of being killed for shitz and giggles, the friendly encounters would be meaningless.

only the constant threat of death makes those episodes of meeting friendlies so rewarding.

• Like 1

Dont give up hope there are still friendlies in this game even if scarce

But if we give up and start KOS we are just another part of the problem, making the game less fun for others

Thats how i look at it

Only kill when i have a good reason and only killed few survivors

i List on my bio how they died and why

Help me remember and respect lives I've taken.

Goodluck tho with the rest of your gameplay

Hope you have better experiances

And if our paths ever cross i hope i can be one more friendly helps you out and not lose faith in friendly players

KOS is not part of the problem, it's a part of the game. Like others have stated, this is a survival game, and that's how you survive. New spawns can be more dangerous than anyone else, as they have a lot to gain and very little to lose. If they have any melee weapon in their back, they're a danger to your survival. If they're wearing jeans and a jacket, they're a danger, because they've got at least 6 slots you can't see, enough to be hiding a kitchen knife. I don't like being stabbed. If I try to talk to them, and tell them to stay away, and they don't reply, or come closer, I'll shoot them in the head. If I need to loot a town and don't wish to share or have to watch over my shoulder the whole time, I'll kill them. 

• Like 1

Many people lament the lack of "interaction" with other players...sometimes they even say experimental servers have more friendly players.

Well, think about it: isn't it fairly realistic? In experimental there are many character wipes, so you learn to not be too attached to your gear. You understand also that your "survival" drive is not really an asset, because in a week (or in a couple of days) you'll be on the coast as a noobspawn anyway - not because someone killed you, but because you've been character wiped. In such a situation "surviving by all means necessary" for many people is not a priority...and that means there's less distrust or greed in social interaction. You're no longer surviving Chernarus, you're travelling in it. Even critical issues like dropping dead for hypotermia or starvation are simply minor setbacks: that means you'll simply respawn on the beach sooner than expected.

On normal servers, on the other hand...well, they're stable, and you'll have to live as long as possible. In them you have your character who depends on your gear and supplies to survive. Are you going to trust that stranger you noted in the woods in front of you? He's running around with a rifle, what if he's hostile and kills you? Avoid him, don't take any chance. Or maybe is better equipped than you, and that raincoat and backpack will be a godsend gift for your soaked character. He's not looking at me, why shouldn't I snipe him and take his stuff? It's harsh, but I need to survive. Or maybe you just spotted someone in the same town you're looting. Why should you scavenge with an eye costantly over your shoulders? Why should you even divide the town with him? You were here earlier: it's your town. Kill him, take his stuff, loot the town and run back in the woods.

Those are simple examples that explain what is perceived as an annoying behaviour. Realistic explanations, someone interested in roleplay should easily understand...I know I'm doing it. I love roleplay, and I understand that the embarassingly contrived "roleplay" many people do in other games (and probably hope to do here, too) is not realistic or even interesting at all. In a post apocalyptic ex-soviet republic full of infected people and piles of corpses are some people seriously telling me that the FIRST thing they would do is waving happily at a stranger and strike a conversation with him?!

Edited by DocWolf

KOS is not part of the problem, it's a part of the game. Like others have stated, this is a survival game, and that's how you survive. New spawns can be more dangerous than anyone else, as they have a lot to gain and very little to lose. If they have any melee weapon in their back, they're a danger to your survival. If they're wearing jeans and a jacket, they're a danger, because they've got at least 6 slots you can't see, enough to be hiding a kitchen knife. I don't like being stabbed. If I try to talk to them, and tell them to stay away, and they don't reply, or come closer, I'll shoot them in the head. If I need to loot a town and don't wish to share or have to watch over my shoulder the whole time, I'll kill them. 

KoS Isnt a Problem With the Game Its Part of this Guys Problem And Problem With Many People Would Be a Problem With Real Life too xD 

And KoS Isnt Killing a Guy you Told to Stay Back Its Killing on Sight

I.E. Players Shooting From the Rocks over Svet To Kill Anyone they See Not Even For Loot or Food, Just to Kill

I Dont Have a Problem With KoS'ers Existing as in Real Scenario Like This Am Sure they Would in Real Life

But to Say that they Arent a Problem To People is a Lie

Just Like Zombies Are a Problem and they Are Part of the Game too

If you Try to Make Contact then Kill For either them Being a threat or Maybe you Just wanted to Kill them

Contact is Better than a "you Are Dead" When you Are a FreshSpawn Drinking at a Lake Somewhere

I Personaly Dislike KoS'ers But I Also Dislike Zombies Breaking my Legs

I Dont Mean We Need To Have Zero KOS'ers

We Need All Types of Players Bandits,Hero's,KoS'ers,LoneWolves,Pack Players for Dynamic or the Games Boring

Edited by NokyoOkami

Why would start each word with capital letter ? Makes my brain hurts.

On normal servers, on the other hand...well, they're stable, and you'll have to live as long as possible

Let me correct you just on this tiny little sentence - no, you dont "have to". It's a sandbox, remember? :)

I tired out the run for gear a few times. The process was fun, but the outcome was horrible. I got attached to my gear, made me paranoid and not playing for several days and only come to look after my character during the morning hours when i knew he would be safe. I didn't enjoy that and to be honest, maybe i played the game wrong myself at that point. I was a fully kitted elite infantrist sitting in a bush shaking.

Now I start a fresh character very often. I never reach the "fully geared" part of the game anymore, and i love it. I can run around carelessly and write my own stories with other players. I have very limited gaming time over the week ( mostly just one night ) and i am excited about every player encounter i have. That being said, i am friendly all the time, and i payed my dues, but what should i complain about if I enjoy the process from being a bambi to be "geared", which in my eyes means to have bright green statuses and an axe? I mean, you can do everything in Chernarus when you reach that level.

I know this is all just IMO and 0.02$ but you have much more fun with other people when you dont look or act like an elite combat soldier.

i meet my best dayz friend in-game , you gotta keep trying

Why would start each word with capital letter ? Makes my brain hurts.

Lol Sorry About That...

Today I met two people in Dayz and got killed two times. No talking, just killing. I'm sure the guy who shot me with ten rounds from his AK as I was crawling around helpless with broken legs feels really proud of himself right about now.