Sign in to follow this  
hothtimeblues

Anti tank rifles

Since it is already discussed to have surplus WW2 weapons...

I would love an anti tank rifle. (like my photo).

When we tie zombie together in the final release, shooting them will be interesting.

They should be rare since an anti tank rifle round should go through any barricade except if we can stack multiple layers of heave plate steel.

I really think an anti tank rifle fits the game better than an RPG for anti viehcles because Dayz is supposed to be anti COD or Battlefield.

So instead of rockets for making vehicles a little nerfed.... Anti tank rifles when shot into the engine block is a much better fit for Dayz.

any comments?

• Like 1

As50, is that a .50 caliber sniper rifle?

I didn't play the mods much but I heard something about them.

So I see your point. Those should be able to penetrate an engine block. But did those really bust up the vehicles in the mod, or helicopters? If so, then I'm OK with that.

But because we are adding barricades...... if someone has one or two plates of steel then .50 sniper rifle is not as useful as a anti tank rifle. Especiallly a modern anti tank rifle round that I would think uses depleted uranium. Only depleted uranium is gonna go through any barricade in Dayz.

With a depleted uranium tipped anti tank round.... someone who just spends days collecting multiple layers of heavy plate steel and just wants to camp can be killed with my suggestion.

Edited by hothtimeblues

I don't see why not, though, I suspect this has already been suggested, and also been incorporated, into the official weapons suggestion thread.

oh its that topic again. it has been discussed at lenght, and pretty much every possible argument pro and contra has been posted. the result? oh, i dont want to spoil it for you...

xBFbPxC.jpg

• Like 3

OK, Guess my search for it didn't work well.

My bad. I'm surprised a lot of people would be against it. All they have to do is make it rare. And we already had plenty of one shot kills from the mosin a while back and I didn't hear much bitching about the mosin being one shot kill. So why would peopel be so afraid of a powerful rifle?

I'd rather see a World War 2 era anti-tank rifle than a modern 50. cal sniper. It'd be the sort of thing that could mess up a vehicle and penetrate cover without being able to do so from two kilometers away, kind of like an inaccurate AS50 without the scope. I like it.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSI1QsIo8g

You say anti tank, but really, it's anti everything, anti players, anti roleplay and anti climactic. It does not fit in the spectrum of dayz imo, Arma 2+3, yes, not DayZ. 

Let the modders do it but keep it off the official servers, i say. All i see are players firing from the hip and turning bandit for no other reason than the convenience of owning a 50.cal.. which is anti-dayz "SA", how far has the dev crew come to curbing KOS and making it cooler to engage players, without KOS.

50.cals are counterproductive imo (but inevitably they'll be added to combat heli's, unless they're uber weak and can be engaged with smaller calibers)

The only rifle that makes sense in this category is the PTRS-41.

DSC00471.jpg

Soviet origin, still used today recently in conflicts in Ukraine , Libya and Syria.

14.5×114mm , No optics, single shot, no magazine required.

would be balanced but one problem remains.

What role would it play ? Base assault ? Base defense ? Vehicle Ambush weapon ?

More importantly how would it be implemented without a stamina and weight system in place.

The only thing more ridiculous than fully kitted out survivors sprinting at 30 km/h with 30 pounds of military gear and a 10 pound rifle , is the same but this time with a 46 pound weapon.

• Like 3

I really think an anti tank rifle fits the game better than an RPG for anti viehcles because Dayz is supposed to be anti COD or Battlefield.

I actually think an RPG-7 fits the game best for this purpose. Anti-materiell rifles would be too precise and either too rare as anti-vehicle tools or too common as anti-personnel-overkill tools.

Still a .50 cal precision rifle would be interesting - but ultra-rare (rarer than most vehicles and probably the rarest gun of them all), with ultra-rare ammunition that is also used by a slightly less rare heavy machine gun. Also it should be almost impossible to use in anything else than prepared long range fights. And I would like it to be a bolt-action so something like:

• AW50
  • M95
  • M99 (single-shot)
  • KSVK 12.7

It does not make sense to add two heavy calibers or even two AMR's because of the basic rarity involved. Getting to fire a single shot out of that baby should require a lot of effort beforehand.

Edited by Evil Minion

*snip*

This rifle is beautiful in it's simple function driven form and a solid suggestion based on region it would seem.

IED's/Sticky bombs are fine for anti-tank.

Any kind of light/medium explosive, even Molotov cocktails should hinder/destroy most vehicles unless they are armored.

To me, sniping is as fun vs Zeds as players, and I don't really care for your gear, so you might imagine that I'm somewhat ambivalent towards modern long range sniper rifles in DayZ.

That being said, there probably should be a modern long range rifle in DayZ but I also believe that  long range sniping should be made extremely difficult given all factors involved (weapon condition, wind, bullet drop, and even temperature/humidity can likely effect how a projectile travels).

Can't sling it onto your back.

You have only irons.

Have to deploy it to be able to fire.

Done.

That being said, there probably should be a modern long range rifle in DayZ but I also believe that  long range sniping should be made extremely difficult given all factors involved (weapon condition, wind, bullet drop, and even temperature/humidity can likely effect how a projectile travels).

That's like saying you want CHEAP OIL.. but don't want to create suffering 3rd world countries being tortured by regimes/religions to create chaos... to get it. 

rifles are fine how they are (they should vary, but never within stupid ranges), stop being greedy bitch COD fan-boys (with the exception of the PTRS-41) lets face it, all you're looking for is cinematics. 

Edited by DaveZ

DSC00471.jpg

Soviet origin, still used today recently in conflicts in Ukraine , Libya and Syria.

14.5×114mm , No optics, single shot, no magazine required.

would be balanced but one problem remains.

What role would it play ? Base assault ? Base defense ? Vehicle Ambush weapon ?

More importantly how would it be implemented without a stamina and weight system in place.

The only thing more ridiculous than fully kitted out survivors sprinting at 30 km/h with 30 pounds of military gear and a 10 pound rifle , is the same but this time with a 46 pound weapon.

You make the good points and I love the rifle you posted.

I definitely think something like this would need special equipment to maintain, either you carry in your hands and move slowly or find some sort of very rare pack that allows you to carry bigger rifles and launchers on your back and move very slowly.

I think with such a weapon you would try to be as versatile with it as possible.

But I still think an RPG-7 should be a thing.

• Like 1

That's like saying you want CHEAP OIL.. but don't want to create suffering 3rd world countries being tortured by regimes/religions to create chaos... to get it. 

rifles are fine how they are (they should vary, but never within stupid ranges), stop being greedy bitch COD fan-boys (with the exception of the PTRS-41) lets face it, all you're looking for is cinematics. 

I didn't imply changing just long range rifles as much as tweaking them at ALL ranges for authenticity.

Honestly, I'm not even sure how your comment relates to what I said....

You make the good points and I love the rifle you posted.

I definitely think something like this would need special equipment to maintain, either you carry in your hands and move slowly or find some sort of very rare pack that allows you to carry bigger rifles and launchers on your back and move very slowly.

I think with such a weapon you would try to be as versatile with it as possible.

But I still think an RPG-7 should be a thing.

I've heard that RPGs are inaccurate as hell and have a tendency to spiral off, plus the can be defeated be a mesh cage.  This makes them ideal as they wouldn't ruin gameplay. Also, AMRs are specialty weapons and as long as that is reflected rather than the death machines from the mod then yeah, why not.

I've heard that RPGs are inaccurate as hell and have a tendency to spiral off, plus the can be defeated be a mesh cage. This makes them ideal as they wouldn't ruin gameplay. Also, AMRs are specialty weapons and as long as that is reflected rather than the death machines from the mod then yeah, why not.

That, and they have to reloaded after every shot, or in the case of something like an M-72 LAW, are a "one-shot - one chance" weapon, and can't be reused after firing.

Either way, people running around at full speed with anti-materiel rifles seems MORE generic FPS-esque than simply having a few explosive support weapons.

• Like 1

I've heard that RPGs are inaccurate as hell and have a tendency to spiral off, plus the can be defeated be a mesh cage.  This makes them ideal as they wouldn't ruin gameplay.

I would hope they go where you shoot them. I'd be disappointed if I couldn't be accurate like this. Without the Bradley of course.

• Like 1

Since it is already discussed to have surplus WW2 weapons...

I would love an anti tank rifle. (like my photo).

When we tie zombie together in the final release, shooting them will be interesting.

They should be rare since an anti tank rifle round should go through any barricade except if we can stack multiple layers of heave plate steel.

So instead of rockets for making vehicles a little nerfed.... Anti tank rifles when shot into the engine block is a much better fit for Dayz.

any comments?

Once vehicles are introduced  I see no problem with balancing things out with more powerful infantry weapons such as Anti Tank or Anti Material rifles so that erasure of said vehicles is practical and quick. But those critters should be cumbersome and the ammunition take up 4 slots (2 x 2) for a 5 round magazine or 1 to 5 loose rounds.  

BOYS ANTI TANK RIFLE

WEIGHT 35lbs (unloaded)

Length 62 inches(standard)  or 56 inches (Paratroop model)

100_1870_zps26d5d4d3.jpg

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

Chris Torchia's indirect answer on that, too:

...and has the end result of making it easier for there to be more leet snip0rs killing other players at long range - something we're not interested in encouraging at the moment.  

I can see an As50 or an anti-material-rifle in DayZ work, but only with the right balance (only X amount per 10 servers, only Y ammo per server, etc. etc.)

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 2

Chris Torchia's indirect answer on that, too:

I can see an As50 or an anti-material-rifle in DayZ work, but only with the right balance (only X amount per 10 servers, only Y ammo per server, etc. etc.)

Maybe not even AS-50... a KVSK would be cooler, less spammy and more suitable.

• Like 1

I would hope they go where you shoot them. I'd be disappointed if I couldn't be accurate like this. Without the Bradley of course.

I don't think a regular RPG-7 would be anywhere as accurate as that, but that is an improved variant from the Russians. The regular warhead is unpredictable and inaccurate.

Personally i dont think an anti material rifle or anti tank rifle is necessary. Only because all the negative effects of carrying one are not there (currently). If they were implemented then yea i would be ok with it. Im not going to list all the negative effects i mean since they've all been mentioned before, maybe not in this thread but there all over the forums. 

I'd like to see all manner of anti-tank rifles. I'd like the see the 20mm Lahti and the Solothurn, and the PTRS-41, a repeating 14.5 rifle like an over-sized SKS.

Keep it to a basic 20mm, 14.5mm and .50 cal for logistics, of course. (The .50cal being modern anti-material rifles and the Boys). Vehicles will be a major part of the game, and these rifles make things interesting. Back in the mod, I remember my buddy used to camp for hours on populated servers by this gas station. He'd take out the engine block, then start taking out the passengers. They'd scramble to figure out what was wrong, but ultimately, he'd snipe them all, then retrieve the loot. Needless to say, it didn't take long until we had piles upon piles, as vehicles are already fairly endgame, the passengers were usually well equiped, plus the vehicles often had LMGs and such. Good times.

So no, these anti material rifles aren't just used for killing bambis and griefing. They're used to take on vehicles and their endgame passengers. If you want to go play survivor/loner in the woods, you need not worry. This was just for killing 3-6 man militarized squads.