haknslash

Experimental Branch: 0.49 Discussion

You get the feeling they are in over their heads at times.

What bothers me is that they don't seem willing to comment on the experimental server problem. They have to be under a rock not to realize that it's a problem, yet they haven't said anything about it or fixed it (despite being asked). I just want to know why. If you want us to test the experimental build, we need more than a couple servers for the WHOLE PLANET to share.

What bothers me is that they don't seem willing to comment on the experimental server problem. They have to be under a rock not to realize that it's a problem, yet they haven't said anything about it or fixed it (despite being asked). I just want to know why. If you want us to test the experimental build, we need more than a couple servers for the WHOLE PLANET to share.

They did say why in a way.. they're still working in fixes in the "proper" build, this one is the one they were going to release before they found the problems... in other words... they just released this one to make you guys shut up.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/210678-forum-hicks-eugen-and-the-programmers-are-working-on-a-build-from-today-with-some-additional-bugs-squashed-but/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/210682-twitter-eugen-experimental-servers-going-offline-in-next-few-minutes-update-incoming-eta-2-hours/

Edited by Cpanther

Strange sequence of events for my first time playing in a week or 2.

Just spawned at what I presume is the infamous Vybor bridge spawn.  I had no clothes, but was not energized/hydrated as people have said before.  Went to the piano house to find 2 other "naked" players and we had a punch out...  I got one, then died.

Respawned to a "Please Wait..." screen for many minutes.  I pressed escape and I was able to move my character around while the escape menu was up, but when I exit the menu I go back to Please Wait.  With some testing, I figured out i could turn my character in please wait, but only move forward/backward/strafe in the menu.

Fortunately, another player spawned next to me.  I was able to communicate with him, but my sound cut out for some reason (unrelated I believe, as I was playing skyrim earlier and my sound cut out there too... stupid blue tooth speakers).  He knocked me out, changed "Please Wait..." to "You are unconscious."  He used the resuscitate feature to bring me back up, and I was able to play again.  Still without sound, so I am restarted DayZ now....

Edited by doctajones

They did say why in a way.. they're still working in fixes in the "proper" build, this one is the one they were going to release before they found the problems... in other words... they just released this one to make you guys shut up.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/210678-forum-hicks-eugen-and-the-programmers-are-working-on-a-build-from-today-with-some-additional-bugs-squashed-but/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/210682-twitter-eugen-experimental-servers-going-offline-in-next-few-minutes-update-incoming-eta-2-hours/

Neither of those address the server issues, or even any particular issue at all. Where does it say that 124937 (or any prior experimental build of 0.49) is specifically causing server issues?

I didn't mean to come off as whiny or aggressive. I'm going to switch back to stable this evening and play with some friends, simple as that. It just seemed odd to me that they haven't explained why the servers keep going down.

Never. Touch. the Tuna!

In other new: you can't put pants inside other pants if the first pants already contains items. so no infinite backpacks anymore.

Went back a few pages and didnt see this addressed but, US Southcentral 0-9 is one of the few servers open, and it keeps crashing every 10-15 minutes... Gotta love it.

So it's 7 p.m. in Europe right now. I doubt they'll fix it unless they work Saturdays :-/ Too bad, because yet again the one little stash I had is now not accessible anymore. But I want my Zucchini back! And my favorite Fresh, damaged Banana! :( :o

Hidden backpacks don't despawn after restart? Because since the latest update hidden weapons disappear after restart.

Edited by Sharplooter

Hidden backpacks don't despawn after restart? Because since the latest update hidden weapons disappear after restart.

I know my Hunters back pack disappeared after a restart also lost a mosin too.  I was on the same server and did a big circle of the map went through two restarts.  I even left a few small items food and ammo it was all gone.  I doubt it was found by another player since it was tucked under a tree there was no way to find it unless you crouched under the limbs.  I had used the same spot on the last few builds and it always worked great.  Just my observation.

Edit: Wish I would have grabbed my protector case those are a pain to find.  Also is it just me or is it impossible to find a pistol magazine other than the Makarov?

Edited by dallasd00d
  • Like 1

Went back a few pages and didnt see this addressed but, US Southcentral 0-9 is one of the few servers open, and it keeps crashing every 10-15 minutes... Gotta love it.

Your not alone the AU/NZ servers seem about as stable as a card house in a cyclone.. Shame as i was really enjoying it.(not to mention the singapore first person server is stuck on waiting for host ) so its kinda hard to play down under...

I know my Hunters back pack disappeared after a restart also lost a mosin too.  I was on the same server and did a big circle of the map went through two restarts.  I even left a few small items food and ammo it was all gone.  I doubt it was found by another player since it was tucked under a tree there was no way to find it unless you crouched under the limbs.  I had used the same spot on the last few builds and it always worked great.  Just my observation.

Edit: Wish I would have grabbed my protector case those are a pain to find.  Also is it just me or is it impossible to find a pistol magazine other than the Makarov?

Ok then the persistence is actually disabled... I repeat it with 4 weapons, all were gone after restart. You lost even your backpack after restart, there is no doubt. That explains also why the loot spawn is working proper atm. 

Does the persi work at least with tents (anybody tested)? I could test it almost on myself but I found a tent at the top of a high-riser and because I didn't have a Mountain Backpack I was not able to take it with me... thx to the long ladder which leads to the ground... trying to move the tent per inventory let the tent bugged away (probably into a wall or the bottom). I think the only chance was to jump off the building with the tent in hands (praying for respawn nearby), lol.

Edit: I found a P1 mag, M1911 mag and CR75 mag besides makarov mags 

Edit2: I am aware that the servers don't restart regular rather then crash, but the other 0.49 builds before had working persistence also with crashing servers.

Edited by Sharplooter

Once again we're left for the weekend with several servers screwed up, and to flavor things a little bit more, a build containing considerable issues that prevent most users from testing the experimental branch in a relatively normal way, way to go, see you on monday.

To be brutally honest I am not seeing much improvement with this build.

FPS -- Nope, no difference at all, at least not for me out here in the mid Pacific

Melee-- Definitely NOT remotely close to fixed, in fact, tried the new telescoping baton today against a zed, it was completely useless, as was the pickaxe, did not score even one hit with either. Even fisticuffs are not nearly as effective as they once were. PVP melee is as effective as ever, one hit on my foot from a fire axe killed me today (this was the idiot who got me raging because he said he was sorry) which begs the question; why are the player hit boxes so frigging huge for a fully blooded healthy character while zed hit boxes are so frigging Peter Dinklage?

I did see some one hit a zed from behind with a pickaxe and it went down, but only because I was distracting it and holding it's attention.

Spawn points-- Some spawn points are still pretty ridiculous and don't give characters even a small chance of survival if they are being beat by zeds before you even gain control of them. I don't get the whole spawn into Vybor naked thing either, what is that all about?

Random sounds-- Fixed? I think not, just as loud as ever, I don't mind them so much though since I think it adds ambience and atmosphere to being alone in a strange land filled with sick crazy infected people.

Not losing faith, just really very disappointed with this build and all the servers not working, that's all. Today I just could not get a character going for any decent length of time, granted by the end of the day I was getting pretty frustrated and just charging around all over the place and so getting killed by zed hordes, but, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.... Guess I'll just go watch TV.

Edited by Barnabus

To be brutally honest I am not seeing much improvement with this build.

FPS --  Nope, no difference at all, at least not for me out here in the mid Pacific

Melee--  Definitely NOT remotely close to fixed, in fact, tried the new telescoping baton today against a zed, it was completely useless, as was the pickaxe, did not score even one hit with either.   Even fisticuffs are not nearly as effective as they once were.  PVP melee is as effective as ever, one hit on my foot from a fire axe killed me today which begs the question; why are the player hit boxes so frigging huge for a fully blooded healthy character while zed hit boxes are so frigging Peter Dinklage?  

I did see some one hit a zed from behind with a pickaxe and it went down, but only because I was distracting it and holding it's attention. 

Spawn points--  Some spawn points are still pretty ridiculous and don't give characters even a small chance of survival if they are being beat by zeds before you even gain control of them.

Random sounds--  Fixed?  I think not, just as loud as ever, I don't mind them so much though since I think it adds ambience and atmosphere to being alone in a strange land filled with sick crazy infected people.

Not losing faith, just really very disappointed with this build and all the servers not working, that's all.  Today I just could not get a character going for any decent length of time, granted by the end of the day I was getting pretty frustrated and just charging around all over the place and so getting killed by zed hordes, but, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained....  Guess I'll just go watch TV.

Or you could play stable. Also if you had read any of the public dev announcements regarding what they're working on and what they hope to accomplish, you'd know that only one of the items on your list is even being touched in this version.

You can join that private "not so private" ones...you character won't save in the public hive, but that is not a problem in Experimental considering that characters reset every new build.

I went on that one today, starved to death once because there was nothing anywhere, could not even find apples or pliers or even hammers, I mean nothing anywhere.  Spawned in up by Novo, nothing there either, came back in later near Svetlo, same deal.  Can't play if there's no loot.

Or you could play stable. Also if you had read any of the public dev announcements regarding what they're working on and what they hope to accomplish, you'd know that only one of the items on your list is even being touched in this version.

If you had read any of the comments from the other members in this thread you would see I was responding, mostly, to those.  Not going back to stable, too much of a leap backwards.

Gee massa, I's so sorry I posted criticism of the game on the .49 discussion thread. 

Edited by Barnabus

Works been kicking my ass the past couple of DayZ (no pun intended), how's the servers so far?  Third person still down?

Once again we're left for the weekend with several servers screwed up, and to flavor things a little bit more, a build containing considerable issues that prevent most users from testing the experimental branch in a relatively normal way, way to go, see you on monday.

You may want to not opt in to experimental branch. This is by its own definition an unstable branch that we use to experiment. It is not somewhere you should go looking to have an enjoyable play experience.

Some times the build will have serious issues, some times the servers will be limited, or not even available.

If you want up-time, or the most enjoyable play experience from a development build I strongly encourage you not to switch your client away from the default branch.

• Like 13

You may want to not opt in to experimental branch. This is by its own definition an unstable branch that we use to experiment. It is not somewhere you should go looking to have an enjoyable play experience.

Some times the build will have serious issues, some times the servers will be limited, or not even available.

If you want up-time, or the most enjoyable play experience from a development build I strongly encourage you not to switch your client away from the default branch.

You should get the mods to sticky this on the forums.  There is way too many people posting on here who have no understanding of what you guys are doing.

• Like 7

Very quick question: do you guys know what causes servers to go into the endless reset loop state?

Where did I say I wanted to have an "enjoyable play experience" sir? I said testing, read carefully next time, if I wanted that I could actually be playing something else than DayZ.

I am aware of how unstable the exp branch can be, for all I know stable should be aswell after all is alpha, but consider this, you have exp branch so people really interested in testing and providing feedback, not playing as you claimed, can test the newest builds first hand, weekends are by definition the time most people interested in exp get free time to do so, atleast in my opinion.

I can't remember the last time I "played" in stable, not going back, I bought this game to support the development and test first hand the newer builds, not to have "the most enjoyable experience" because that's actually impossible until this game hits full release.

Have a great weekend, and sorry if I sound rude.

Read again,,,

"Some times the build will have serious issues, some times the servers will be limited, or not even available."

This is the current situation, don't start flaming about it.

Topic cleaned.

I think with the latest .49 exp update they've really justified the name experimental. I'm seeing tons of empty servers that you're unable to join or with only 1 or 2 servers up at any given time (sometimes no servers). Character wipes without a moments notice. And all of this without a word from the devs. I'm confused! I thought the exp servers were to test things but how can we test with no servers!?

Now I'm seeing 64 player servers.

Please, someone put me in my place. (without being sarcastic or condescending, that is) 

Whenever you see a server on exp with 64 cap its a bug. Dont read into it please :). At least not too much. You can easily see that something is wrong since the server name defaulted to hostname. As it was unable to read configuration file.

source..

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2g581m/64_player_exp_server_is_up/ckg75nn

We had connection issues yesterday evening. I`ll fix it from home in a next hour. Thanks.

source...

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2g9g5s/49_experimental_empty_servers_constantly/ckh0xzr?context=3

Whenever you see a server on exp with 64 cap its a bug. Dont read into it please :). At least not too much. You can easily see that something is wrong since the server name defaulted to hostname. As it was unable to read configuration file.

source..

We had connection issues yesterday evening. I`ll fix it from home in a next hour. Thanks.

source...

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2g9g5s/49_experimental_empty_servers_constantly/ckh0xzr?context=3

. This explains why they spawn no loot also I imagine...

source..

source...

Strange, I posted that link and it still never clued in  :rolleyes: .