Bigbadchuck

When to kill?

After close to 600 hours in game I have decided that if I get the drop on you, you have about 5 secs to respond to me by voice or text before I put a 7.62 in your cranium. I always address people before I shoot. Like I said I give em 5 secs but I'm labeled a Kos'ing bastard after they're dead. Am I just a murderer? Am I just surviving? Have I lost my humanity? I need to find a psychology book I think.

I agree with your approach, it's not kos in my book, you try and communicate and give them a chance to respond.

I'm trying the same kind of ROE.

Too many times have I hesitated to speak and received a bullet to the face for my troubles.

Not doing that anymore.

If they have a weapon, you did the right thing.  Dont listen to what anyone else tells you.  Its you or them.  The possibility of diplomatic resolutions does not justify the risk vs reward scenario. 

Him dead = you not and some free loot.

Him alive = you possibly dead at some point or you make a friend who can offer little to you besides maybe a few items he can part with.  Maybe a new partner to explore with, but the chances of that exchange are not high enough for me to risk my life.

Letting him walk is fine as long as you know your safe, but if there is doubt, dont chance it. 

I'm the same, if you don't respond or go to raise your weapon you die.

Some people whine once they've been shot but that's standard. I rarely shoot without speaking or at the least observing people for a while to determine if they seem to be a bandit or otherwise shady.

Trying to communicate first isn't KoS, and the fact that you're trying to communicate shows that you're a little ahead of these fucksticks that try to 'justify murder just to survive.'   Bullshit. It's not 'you or them' it's 'I'm going to kill everyone I can and respawn and get a gun and repeat the process because I need cheap thrills.'  If it was a matter of survival, take a fishing pole out into the woods and find a nice lake somewhere and build a fireplace.  'kill to survive.' what a joke.

I digress, OP, you've got nothing to worry or be ashamed about.  

• Like 1

I have to admit, I have done some true Kos. When I see a gas mask or one of the crazy Halloween mask on an armed player I will kill fist and loot later. Sorry about it, but wearing that get up makes me not trust you at first glance

• Like 2

I give about 10 secs,works fine with me,thanks to ageism most people who actually respond still get shot.

After close to 600 hours in game I have decided that if I get the drop on you, you have about 5 secs to respond to me by voice or text before I put a 7.62 in your cranium. I always address people before I shoot. Like I said I give em 5 secs but I'm labeled a Kos'ing bastard after they're dead. Am I just a murderer? Am I just surviving? Have I lost my humanity? I need to find a psychology book I think.

In a post-apocalyptic world, who's gonna tell you what you can & can't do?

• Like 1

Your conscience, man!

Either that, or your psychotic split-personality "other".

• Like 1

Might take a little more than five seconds for some people to type. If they haven't turned towards you or lifted a weapon, it might be alright to give a touch more time.

• Like 1

Your conscience, man!

Either that, or your psychotic split-personality "other".

Well of course, I haven't lost my conscience entirely yet lol  :lol:

I perceived this as Bigbadchuck asking us how we viewed him. & I was responding saying that our opinion really doesn't matter in such a world.

If it's a matter of morals, then yes you're very right.  :)

OP is good-hearted considering his approach.

Trying to communicate first isn't KoS, and the fact that you're trying to communicate shows that you're a little ahead of these fucksticks that try to 'justify murder just to survive.'   Bullshit. It's not 'you or them' it's 'I'm going to kill everyone I can and respawn and get a gun and repeat the process because I need cheap thrills.'  If it was a matter of survival, take a fishing pole out into the woods and find a nice lake somewhere and build a fireplace.  'kill to survive.' what a joke.

I digress, OP, you've got nothing to worry or be ashamed about.  

Im thinking you want to play another game.  Pro Bass fishing is a great game. 

First of all, you are obviously talking about my post.  You assume alot of how I play.  Nope, I dont run for a gun and straight into kill.  In fact, me and my friend play the same routes every time.  We spawn in and its head to Cherno.  Then Clockwise around the entirety of Chernarus.  We are looking for everything we can get our hands on.  And when we encounter someone else, we deem them as a threat.  In the entirety of this game, there is no possible way to tell someones intentions until its too late.  We've had plenty of funny encounters along our way.  Not all end in bloodshed, but when it comes to this game, the only reason I will not survive (besides glitches like Jail House level 2, or ladders) is because of you.  Zombies are not a threat.  Hunger and thirst is not a threat.  Nothing is a threat to my survival in this game, except you (you being any human players before you get all defensive). 

Dont give me this high and mighty morality about your ingame avatar and how you deserve some sort of civilized justice.  This is a VIDEO GAME.  It is not filled with any real life consequences.  If you are mad because someone KOS'd you, reevaluate your reasons for playing the game.  If you really just want to walk around in perfect safety looting and socializing with others, go play Second Life. 

But you cant, because you are addicted the rush this game provides.  And that rush is only there because people like me dont trust you, and have no reason too.  You are not an objective to me.  You are a hindrance.  Eventually you will kill me (you can tell me you wont, but in game, I have no idea who Im speaking with ever even if you tell me who you are and your intentions.)  So why am I risking anytime worrying about your play experience.... Pro Tip: Im not. 

Fun encounter story to lighten up the thread

Running north from the SW Military base, we were heading through the open fields looking for Helo crashes.  Upon us comes a man who was naked (underwear/white undershit) and holding a book.  He was being chased by zombies.  We killed the Z's and didnt fire on him.  But we did become extremely aware of our surroundings at the moment.  I kept an eye on him while he tried to tell some funny joke (which was kinda funny) and my friend constantly scanned the horizon in all directions.  The guy didnt want anything, he was just explaining that he was on some challenge to run a book from one coast to the other and that being naked made it easier for him to survive because people deemed him not a thread.  He was right.  Because he had no weapon and no means of concealing one, he lived.  We didnt shoot him, we let him run on his way and we continued on ours. 

Howwever, had he had a weapon, or had my friend spotted someone else scoping in on us (our first impression was it was a decoy trap) then that guy would have been creamed.  Were not going to risk ourselves in the off chance that its a friendly (read: pointless) encounter.  But, because the guy was of no threat, he was able to continue on his way.  That being said, we hightailed it out of that area for the off chance that it was a trap and his friends just werent able to get good position yet.  Regardless.  This is the only logical course of play to continue your survival WHEN ENCOUNTERING others. 

Sure, I could go in the woods and set up camp, and just fish constantly until the game no longer is supported.  But thats a pretty stupid game now, isnt it.  We enjoy the encounters because of the rush, but that doesnt mean we care about you. 

I just had a battle with communication at NWA, we corned a guy in the shower of the northbarracks and gave him 10sec to come out, he continiously claimed he couldn't hear me right. I told him he should not try fucking with me (we killed his mate earlier) and that I will kill him if he is tring to fool me, but he will leave alive if he is honest. 

My mate said "he is trying to buy time"

I moved as I grew suspicious, and right next to me impacted a bolt. 

Long story short, his reinforcements died. 5:0 for us.

Don't get fucked with, 10 seconds is enough to to consider the options, 15 at most, if you can afford because you have a massive advantage. But IMO if they fail to respond per voice within 3 seconds, they are hostile.

I play mostly alone and don't want to be bothered to set up my mic so I appreciate your willingness to let someone even type a response (unlike Khanarak, like the majority of players, they don;t trust someone without a microphone plugged in)....

No apologies here, if you play to have a firefight, you play with little imagination, and are in the wrong game. That's fact. Everyone's initial reaction to putting a firearm in their hands in a game is to immediately kill the first person they see. The reasons for this are many and widely vary. DayZ currently has room within it's parameters to satisfy some of the FPS crowd, so the current state of the SA is as you know it (similar to the state of the mod).

IF you give any warning you are "ahead" of the general population.

One thing you forgot cartire is that a friendly can also offer medical assistance and a much needed second set of eyes and weapons vs zombies/murderers, and allows for greater diversification within your inventories.

I simply avoid people and will often choose to run if I can, rather than engage in a firefight.

I've had players trying to axe my fully geared character, screaming about needing water, only to be shot dead by me when I would have given them a drink had they asked. :/

I always address people before I shoot. Like I said I give em 5 secs but I'm labeled a Kos'ing bastard after they're dead. Am I just a murderer?

KOS implies shooting someone immediately. Trying to communicate has usually lead to the people I'm trying to talk to going silent and either hunting me down or waiting to ambush me. I tend to hide from anyone with a weapon, nobody really needs your help in DayZ, things are too easy to get.

• Like 1

I play mostly alone and don't want to be bothered to set up my mic so I appreciate your willingness to let someone even type a response (unlike Khanarak, like the majority of players, they don;t trust someone without a microphone plugged in)....

No apologies here, if you play to have a firefight, you play with little imagination, and are in the wrong game. That's fact. Everyone's initial reaction to putting a firearm in their hands in a game is to immediately kill the first person they see. The reasons for this are many and widely vary. DayZ currently has room within it's parameters to satisfy some of the FPS crowd, so the current state of the SA is as you know it (similar to the state of the mod).

IF you give any warning you are "ahead" of the general population.

One thing you forgot cartire is that a friendly can also offer medical assistance and a much needed second set of eyes and weapons vs zombies/murderers, and allows for greater diversification within your inventories.

I simply avoid people and will often choose to run if I can, rather than engage in a firefight.

I've had players trying to axe my fully geared character, screaming about needing water, only to be shot dead by me when I would have given them a drink had they asked. :/

You are correct on teh friendly help.  Thus why I said, I only play with a friend.  But I know him.  I dont know you or anyone else I meet out there.  So to me, you are all a non-essential and only a threat.  You serve me no purpose other then the threat you pose.  I am not trying to further your gameplay, Im trying to further mine (and my friends).   

If you play by yourself, you have an uphill battle.  Yes, trying to find others to help you is good, but its your risk you take.  I dont take that risk (and because I have a friend, dont need too)

its not really kos unless you just shoot them as soon as you see them. i do understand teh need to shoot some people, i know i personally will never drop my weapon if someone tells me to. ill  holster it but never drop it, because as i see it if you try to make me drop my weapon on the ground your trying to rob me, and id rather die fighting than hand over my stuff. i dont consider people who kill me for that kos.

I bought the game a week ago and I've been trying to get some gear!! Here is my story of first few spawns.

1. I spawn and search for loot for 1 hour and haven't found a single back pack..after another hour, I finally found a backpack in a garage and guess what..some guy with a gun walks by aiming at me I try to talk to him via voice chat but no response, I text him saying Hi man, I am a newbie..*BOOM* ..you are dead...is what i read. At that point i have no gear, except a flashlight with a battery in it, a tin of tuna, a crowbar on my back..

2. I spawned in woods with a few houses near by..and I see a zombie running towards me..I try to kill it but he seemed to be a taekwondo expert and i was bleeding to death..I ran to a house ..lucky found a bandage and used it..and i see two zombies outside window who come through the walls and rape me to death.

3. I spawned in a industrial area..Found a good backpack very early, tons of food and fluids, a crowbar and a gun but after going through every house..every shelf.. every corner of a building.. every roof top..no ammo. so I start to move out of city and i see 3 zombies chasing me out of no where..I some how manage to kill 2 of them and apparently some newbie comes with a crowback and whacks me on my back..my screen goes white..and then zombie and the newbie form a team and break my legs and beat me to death.

4. call rand(2 to 3)

5. call rand(2 to 4)

6.. nevermind..I'll wait for beta..people are such dicks against newbs >_>

Edited by xcept10n

Bambi's can be a pain in the ass. I held one up in a police station. He put his hands up so I didn't kill him. As soon as I lowered my AKM he punches me in the head. Had to drop him

Im thinking you want to play another game.  Pro Bass fishing is a great game. 

First of all, you are obviously talking about my post.  You assume alot of how I play.  Nope, I dont run for a gun and straight into kill.  In fact, me and my friend play the same routes every time.  We spawn in and its head to Cherno.  Then Clockwise around the ...

I actually didn't read the rest of the post you made, no I'm not talking about you, I'm talking generally about the KoS kids that try to hide behind the 'it's me or them!' crap. Don't take posts so personally.  

Edited by nettles

Funny there is about a hundred threads trying to tell people what and what not to do...

Killem all and let dean sort them out....

*snip*

If you play by yourself, you have an uphill battle.  Yes, trying to find others to help you is good, but its your risk you take.  I dont take that risk (and because I have a friend, dont need too)

My roommate plays with me sometimes and we still don't PK.

So the people are of equal value to my thinking whether I "know" them or not.

There is a good reason some of us who enjoy this game, do not enjoy the vast majority of FPS games.

That's because this game has (will have) more potential than those other games.

As far as "dean sorting them out", that's what he's doing with each successive patch; making abject murder less beneficial is going to be a thing in the future.

If you add up all of the most important features needing development and polish and try to imagine what the finished product will play like, you will likely come to the conclusion that the experience we are having now is going to be VASTLY different a year from now.

So many newer players are woefully short sighted and uninformed. <_<

BTW: A big thanks to all of the shooter fans who have poured their money into this survival horror game. You won't be missed when the game becomes less fun for you and you go play Doom/Unreal Tournament/Halo/Wolfenstein ad nauseum.

Edited by BioHaze

/insert sarcasm

That added sooo much to the discussion at hand, thank you.

Maybe some people like voicing their opinions, you know, on a public forum..... oh hey, we're on one now!

/close sarcasm

If I see a thread full of "YO MAN, JUST KILL 'EM ALLLLL!!!!".

It can be nice to throw in an alternate point of view.

Edited by BioHaze