scriptfactory

Add weapon slings and get rid of weapon slots

Sometimes I am really annoyed by the way Mosins and Machetes sticks to my back. I stopped using Mosins because of this and now carry my Machete in my backpack.

Make a "weapon sling" item that attaches to all primary weapons. It can then be strapped across the back of your character. Normal rope could work, too. If I want a fireaxe I should have to carry it in my backpack or in my hands. Or, with rope, I can strap it to my backpack.

Get rid of the weapon slots, please.

• Like 10

I can only agree. It would instantly and drastically improve the viability of all those small weapons out there.

I've thought this for a while.

Lootable and craftable slings to carry larger items on your back are far preferable to artificial 'slots'.

If you find a rifle, but have no sling and nothing to make one out of, you have to carry it, and put it down whenever you need to use your hands for something else. Same with larger melee weapons. (there's also no way that double-handed melee weapons should fit into backpacks, unless there is a mechanism for an exterior strap).

Only, if rope-spawns are increased drastically :D

Leather-strings should also work (gutting an animal, then cutting the deer-skin into small stripes)

Provided the devs make animations a little smoother, sure. I'm not looking forward to dropping my main weapon because I don't have a sling and then having a player run up to me and start thumping me, only for my character to slowly put the dropped weapon into his inventory, take it into his hands, put it into his inventory again, pass out and then die. Alternatively, I don't look forward to straight up losing my weapon because I was in a building when I dropped it.

So as long as there's a good chance that my weapon will disappear or that I'll be faced with animation glitches, this isn't something I'd support. Of course, I'm sure the devs are working on a smoother animation system, and are implementing code to make it so items don't fall through the world.

If you find a rifle, but have no sling and nothing to make one out of, you have to carry it, and put it down whenever you need to use your hands for something else. Same with larger melee weapons. (there's also no way that double-handed melee weapons should fit into backpacks, unless there is a mechanism for an exterior strap).

Hell no, the game interface is way too 1990's as it is. Don't scare away more players by going even more retro.

In real-life, I could hold an object a million different ways and still have my hands free. It wouldn't be realistic for me to have to put everything down and then slowly pick it up again unless we're playing Retard Simulator 2014.

If anything, the whole weapon selection deal needs to be more streamlined because it's just unpleasant this way.

I think this is a good idea. No strap, you only get one weapon. Straps could allow you to carry to primary weapons. And make it that you can only sling an axe over your shoulder if you have some kind of pack to strap it to. It would certainly change things up, in a good way I think.

Hell no, the game interface is way too 1990's as it is. Don't scare away more players by going even more retro.

I can't recall 90s games having better mechanics than the current ones. The games I know worked per "walk over" pickup and had unlimited inventory.

Anyways adding slings and removing this magic weapon slot on your back would probably improve the game (if some of the item handling issues were fixed) as it would actually assign drawbacks to a weapon for being big and cumbersome as opposed to small and handy. Right now rifles basically don't occupy inventory slots while handguns do making them more handy because they are big and cumbersome - thats weapon balance upside down and destroys handgun viability while needlessly buffing the already powerful rifles even further. Similar for melee weapons - the size of the Fireaxe is completely meaningless with the free weapon slot. Changing this would make other melee weapons much more viable as you would need one of the better backpacks to store it.

I agree picking up and dropping things (hand to enviroment interaction) should be much faster and not require working with the inventory. Maybe recycle G: fast click > drop handheld item, click when hands are empty -> pick up item. Throwing could still work via hold and release as dropping is basically throwing without adding force. It should be possible to drop your rifle, skin that deer and than quickly grab your rifle and get out without the current hassle.

I can't recall 90s games having better mechanics than the current ones. The games I know worked per "walk over" pickup and had unlimited inventory.

Anyways adding slings and removing this magic weapon slot on your back would probably improve the game (if some of the item handling issues were fixed) as it would actually assign drawbacks to a weapon for being big and cumbersome as opposed to small and handy. Right now rifles basically don't occupy inventory slots while handguns do making them more handy because they are big and cumbersome - thats weapon balance upside down and destroys handgun viability while needlessly buffing the already powerful rifles even further. Similar for melee weapons - the size of the Fireaxe is completely meaningless with the free weapon slot. Changing this would make other melee weapons much more viable as you would need one of the better backpacks to store it.

I agree picking up and dropping things (hand to enviroment interaction) should be much faster and not require working with the inventory. Maybe recycle G: fast click > drop handheld item, click when hands are empty -> pick up item. Throwing could still work via hold and release as dropping is basically throwing without adding force. It should be possible to drop your rifle, skin that deer and than quickly grab your rifle and get out without the current hassle.

I completely agree -- something that I never understood is why you can't tuck a pistol into your waistband.  I carry a Springfield XD40 almost every day like that with no problems at all... albeit I do prefer to carry with a holster if I'm going on a long trip or I think anything physical might be involved... but point is I don't know why they require you to keep a pistol in your pack.

So as long as there's a good chance that my weapon will disappear or that I'll be faced with animation glitches, this isn't something I'd support. Of course, I'm sure the devs are working on a smoother animation system, and are implementing code to make it so items don't fall through the world.

Kinda agreed.

It definitely sucks your primary weapon doesn't stay equipped when doing things like eating, climbing, drinking and bandaging. When (if) the game animations and mechanics improve our characters might be able to put down a weapon, perform an action, then automatically pick up the weapon again.

You've got a really good idea here. You're not alone in wanting weapon slings added to the game, not only would it be more realistic but also look post aplocalyptic/survivory.

Beans for you

In real-life, I could hold an object a million different ways and still have my hands free. It wouldn't be realistic for me to have to put everything down and then slowly pick it up again unless we're playing Retard Simulator 2014.

If anything, the whole weapon selection deal needs to be more streamlined because it's just unpleasant this way.

I'm sorry i just find this funny to read because i really want to know what game you played in the 90's that had a better engine then this and why I never heard about it. Simply put from this of course you yourself can do more then your game character can IRL, hell I've held my M4 by the sling with my teeth just trying to open something on the go but I don't for see that ever happening in a game because well lets just face it not a very bright way to hold your weapon. Either way I find it easier to quickly kneel down placing my weapon flat on the ground to bandage or eat something, granted I myself would then proceed to pick my weapon up after i was finished but the game hasn't added that (honestly don't know if it will) which brings me to my feature suggestion of the post ...

I myself love the sling idea because lets face it I can't just put a weapon on my back IRL and have it float there, so this idea just makes sense to me also i feel the fact of having to carry your weapon in your hands without one is just realistic. Now what i hope to see is like someone mentioned smoother animations so there is no issue picking a weapon back off the ground and i also hope to see a feature that will pull the weapon back to your hands after you "used" something from your inventory. Other then that I'm all for this idea and hope to see it made soon!

'm sorry i just find this funny to read because i really want to know what game you played in the 90's that had a better engine then this and why I never heard about it.

Jagged Alliance? Fallout 1? System Shock 2? Deus Ex ? All these games had more intuitive and more responsive USER INTERFACES.

Did I say the word ENGINE, by the way? Nope: I said USER INTERFACE.

USER INTERFACE IS NOT THE SAME AS AN ENGINE. Do NOT twist my words and make me look like a n00b when in fact you don't understand the jargon.

The user interface in DayZ is downright broken and feels ancient. Responsiveness goes down the toilet way too often, the dropping and dragging is just way too slow for an FPS game where speed is essential and the inventory management reeks of something that comes out of a mod and not a million dollar budget videogame. It is the same interface they used in the mod yet even more broken at this point.

Anyhow, I assume they're going to overhaul the thing completely but please, let's not make it any more difficult and convoluted than it already is. This is NOT hardcore, it is poor interface design.

Weapon slots are simply necessary for quick weapon switching. I think there should be way more quick keys as well. We have an entire keyboard to our disposal yet we're dragging and dropping with huge amounts of lag and no way to keep an oversight of the battlefield because we're forced to stare at a representation of ourselves. (How realistic is that, any way?)

If you force people to first find a sling before they can put a weapon on their back, they could theoretically spend their entire (game)life without ever being able to put their weapon down, needlessly increasing the workload and making the game look more like work than fun.

Besides, the visual representation of the avatar putting the gun on his back is just that: a visual representation. You can roleplay he puts it in his hand or balances it on the tip of his nose, right? Besides that, how do you know it's on your back and floating? Because you play on softcore servers. That's not very hardcore of you!

• Like 1

Does this open up the discussion for "makeshift" slings now too? 

Also I know of these duck call necklaces IRL, and basically they have string tied onto the neoprene rope around your neck (that doubles as a gun sling if you mod it a bit) and you hang your calls off these.. So perhaps having a "Neoprene sling" could allow 2-3 extra small slots on it..  (and if you break the necklace in half its as strong as rope..

13zo8qp.jpg

Edit: Kinda off topic, but now that theres animals, I hope calls are on their way... Duck hunting in game would be dope af!

Edited by NagsterTheGangster

Jagged Alliance? Fallout 1? System Shock 2? Deus Ex ? All these games had more intuitive and more responsive USER INTERFACES.

So you played those games in alpha? I highly doubt you did ... yes we've all heard the alpha excuses many times but that's just it nothing is solid yet so this idea could actually make sense for those 3rd person standard players. The developers want a realistic survival zombie simulator and this guy has a decent idea for standard servers to add to that realism, seriously next time your holding your weapon IRL try throwing it over your shoulder with out a sling and see what happens, 100 bucks says it falls to the ground =P ... Its simply immersion in the game and adds to the feel that you are actually simulating your own survival. Also saying it adds one more step just tells me you whine about every simple feature in this game if it doesn't go your way or if it takes a little time, I'm pretty sure there would be multiple ways of finding or making a sling so yeah in the begging its going to be rough like it always should be but this is such a simple addition to getting a gun on your back it makes me laugh that your so against it ... but my bad with misreading your post and saying engine instead of interface, simple mistake but don't try to sound bad ass because you think your good just because you play hardcore servers because honestly you do sound like a noob to me because you talk all this shit about a game that hasn't even hit beta and expect it to run like it was released yesterday (just my opinion don't get too butt hurt) 

Slings......yes please, variety of slings even better ie. single, double and triple point.

So you played those games in alpha? I highly doubt you did ... yes we've all heard the alpha excuses many times but that's just it nothing is solid yet so this idea could actually make sense for those 3rd person standard players. The developers want a realistic survival zombie simulator and this guy has a decent idea for standard servers to add to that realism, seriously next time your holding your weapon IRL try throwing it over your shoulder with out a sling and see what happens, 100 bucks says it falls to the ground =P ... Its simply immersion in the game and adds to the feel that you are actually simulating your own survival. Also saying it adds one more step just tells me you whine about every simple feature in this game if it doesn't go your way or if it takes a little time, I'm pretty sure there would be multiple ways of finding or making a sling so yeah in the begging its going to be rough like it always should be but this is such a simple addition to getting a gun on your back it makes me laugh that your so against it ... but my bad with misreading your post and saying engine instead of interface, simple mistake but don't try to sound bad ass because you think your good just because you play hardcore servers because honestly you do sound like a noob to me because you talk all this shit about a game that hasn't even hit beta and expect it to run like it was released yesterday (just my opinion don't get too butt hurt) 

Someone told me that the interface from DayZ mod is different from the interface of DayZ SA. I would have sworn they were the  same but I guess they did make SOME progress judging from what I was told today.

I do not play on hardcore servers, btw.

Someone told me that the interface from DayZ mod is different from the interface of DayZ SA. I would have sworn they were the  same but I guess they did make SOME progress judging from what I was told today.

I do not play on hardcore servers, btw.

lol then why would you call someone out for playing standard and not hardcore ... or are you just saying you never leave 1st person>

lol then why would you call someone out for playing standard and not hardcore ... or are you just saying you never leave 1st person>

I hardly remember. You shouldn't think so hard about what I write, it's mostly gibberish.

I hardly remember. You shouldn't think so hard about what I write, it's mostly gibberish.

haha well I agree because half the time I'm the same way