Sign in to follow this  
RAM-bo4250

Ya Know I wuz thinkin

I absolutely love the fullness of the terrain and countryside in this engine. Forests look like forests. Villages look like villages. Grass is lush. I base all sandbox games on the graphics in Dayz. To tell the truth. IT's AWWWsome! It just feels right.

I don't think I could go back to less. I hope I'm not forced.

• Like 8

I like it too man. Lotta good picture perfect moments. One day I'd love to see more weather changes, (winter/snow) but it is great how it is atm.

For me, the graphics are, mediocre. JUUUUST good enough that, if this game didn't have other redeeming factors, I MIGHT say they weren't up to my "standards". But this game DOES have, many, other redeeming factors.

In the end, the reason I like this game has little to do with the graphics. They only help me like it.

For me, the graphics are, mediocre. JUUUUST good enough that, if this game didn't have other redeeming factors, I MIGHT say they weren't up to my "standards". But this game DOES have, many, other redeeming factors.

In the end, the reason I like this game has little to do with the graphics. They only help me like it.

Hello there

What is it about the graphics that you find mediocre?

Is it the poly count? The texturing? The lighting? Or the current "lack" of DX11 effects etc?

Id truly like to know :)

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

This game looks and feels ancient to me. I definitely do not play this for the realistic graphics, especially not with the way the game runs on my system. I was looking at Skyrim and wondered why DayZ couldn't run that smooth and look half as good.

Hello there

What is it about the graphics that you find mediocre?

Is it the poly count? The texturing? The lighting? Or the current "lack" of DX11 effects etc?

Id truly like to know :)

Rgds

LoK

Don't misunderstand. I don't think they are terrible. But neither are they genuinely "next gen". They are merely "sufficient". Which for most games, is not up to par.

But, as said, the graphics are NOT the only "decent" factor that this game brings to the table...

This game looks and feels ancient to me. I definitely do not play this for the realistic graphics, especially not with the way the game runs on my system. I was looking at Skyrim and wondered why DayZ couldn't run that smooth and look half as good.

Have you PLAYED skyrim? With or without mods, PC or console, that game crashes like its PAID to do it. Don't get me wrong, I love that game, but its not exactly what I would use to hold up as a standard for "stability".

Have you PLAYED skyrim? With or without mods, PC or console, that game crashes like its PAID to do it. Don't get me wrong, I love that game, but its not exactly what I would use to hold up as a standard for "stability".

Yeah, works fine here. Crashed once in about 15 hours of game time. Threw a bunch of mods on it to make it look even prettier, though.

Anyhow, I WAS talking about the visuals.

• Like 2

Don't misunderstand. I don't think they are terrible. But neither are they genuinely "next gen". They are merely "sufficient". Which for most games, is not up to par.

But, as said, the graphics are NOT the only "decent" factor that this game brings to the table...

Why do they have to be "Next Gen"? There are plenty of games that revert to even earlier styles of graphics and they do fine.  I would be more concerned with good game play over graphics first. Graphics to have an artistic place in games as well as making the game more believable but this should not define what a game is.

• Like 1

Sorry, this doesn't really pertain to anything you said, content-wise, but are you, by any chance, Christopher Walken?

Sorry, this doesn't really pertain to anything you said, content-wise, but are you, by any chance, Christopher Walken?

HOLY SHIT ITS CRISTOPHER WALKEN!

• Like 1

Really? The only time Skyrim has ever crashed for me, it was driver related. I run over 200 mods, too.

P.S: My wife, under no circumstances, is allowed to watch me play Skyrim. ;3

• Like 2

2rnkmef.jpg

• Like 1

Why do they have to be "Next Gen"? There are plenty of games that revert to even earlier styles of graphics and they do fine.  I would be more concerned with good game play over graphics first. Graphics to have an artistic place in games as well as making the game more believable but this should not define what a game is.

That's just IT! They DONT!

Some games, like for example, Farcry 3 (and the upcoming 4 that I am stoked for), NEED that aspect to breathe life into the game. In the case of DayZ, the graphics ARE sub-standard. NOT terrible. But nothing to write home about either. They are good enough to add to the immersion, and that is all they need to be.

HOLY SHIT ITS CRISTOPHER WALKEN!

No, I am not, sadly.

I cant even do his voice properly.

I DO however do an EXCELLENT rendition of the 1980's Cobra Commander of "GI JOE". No, really, its stellar.

• Like 2

While the graphical quality may not be up to todays standards, I've never played a game with an environment that makes me feel more immersed than Chernarus does. Maybe it's just the fact that where I live can look quite similar, but I've found myself comparing local scenery to Chernarus while out for a walk or a drive, and I'd take that over a super-vibrant FarCry jungle any day. The rolling hills and dense forests just look more authentic to me than any other game environment. The only problem I had with Chernarus in ArmA/the mod was the fact that the "cities" were a bit lame and flat and boring. But the new cities in Chernarus+ look fantastic.

• Like 2

I agree about the immersive effects of the environment. It definitely sets the bar for me too.

Playing Skyrim feels cramped to me. Barring a few open areas like around Whiterun, it's mostly composed of impossibly hilly terrain which is just a cheap trick to avoid exceedingly long view distances, thus allowing it to run on consoles.

Somehow they got it right with DayZ. Many of the same view distance tricks are in place, but they aren't as noticeable. You can see for miles in some areas and it looks great. But for example, notice how out in the middle of a field you can look in the direction of a small town and there's always a treeline in your way?

While the graphical quality may not be up to todays standards, I've never played a game with an environment that makes me feel more immersed than Chernarus does. 

YOU GOT IT. That's exactly what I'm talking about. I feel like I'm in a real place, not a computer environment. Immersion, what a beautiful word. I wouldn't mind state of the art graphics but it has to fill the space in realistic way. What's the point of having photo realistic trees and grass if it feels like you're walking in a park. Or the most beautiful buidings if there are only a handfull. The devs have hit the sweet spot here. To that I congratulate them. I want this feeling, this immersion, in all my games. 

I love Skyrim but it still feels artificial.

• Like 1

No, I am not, sadly.

I cant even do his voice properly.

I DO however do an EXCELLENT rendition of the 1980's Cobra Commander of "GI JOE". No, really, its stellar.

I can only ready this in Walkens voice now.   Be known, anything you type from now on, will always be to the sounds of Christopher Walken.  I envy you. 

• Like 2

I dont think the graphics are "last of us" quality, however, overall terrain and design is the best i have seen in any game. Why do i say this, i lived in a very very similar environment. Its amazing how they replicated an eastern european setting. From powerpoles, and rocky fences dividing property, to gravel roads and fields. There is an area on the map which reminds me of my youth, the terrain and textures are amazing, no other game has this. Thank you Bohemia

Guys the graphics in dayz pretty much suck. Look at the zombies face, are you kidding me? Rare are the moments when you go wow. Clouds at night are pixelated even on very high.

It's not bad, but faaaaaar from the wow factor.

Still love this game. :)

Well, granted, there are more high tech graphics engines out there. I never cared much about that though - maybe it's part of remembering how awesome 1024x768 pixels of 8 bit each was with SVGA.

What I like about the DayZ graphics is that when I stand among the pine trees of a hill above a rural town in DayZ, it looks like a pine forest on something that looks like a hill overlooking something that looks like a town. It looks ... believable.

And let's not forget the things that DayZ does well (and, I guess, the reason Arma2 was chosen for the mod): Huge landscapes, weather, realistic night sky, moving sun/moon and all those other thing that make immersion easier for me.

Exactly, immersion. Im from Finland, and the wilds seem pretty much like we have here, and the more developed towns have architecture pretty much like Finland in the 70s. Never seen anything like that in a game. No jungles, USA or anything like that.

Only thing I think its shit are the interiors, they are all out of proportions. Chairs, tabbles, sofas, hospital beds... Sometimes looks like I'm in a freaking doll house. I mean, look at this

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110319014528/silent/images/e/e1/LivingRoom.png

And compare to this

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s470/Fragglerocky/original4_zpsb6252c94.jpg

In the first picture you can clearly see that the human character could easily sit down on the chairs'n shit, things are proportional. Now try to notice that in DayZ, the character model is way to big for the interiors.

This is what really, really breaks the game imersion for me, interiors are really bad imo. But other then that, this game is BEAUTIFULL, the outside is one of the best I have ever seen, feels very realistic even at potato computers. The weather effects makes my pen0r hard and the textures are awesome.

But the interiors suck so bad it is not even funny. Wtf man, look at those ovens, you would have to crouch to cook something

Edited by Avant-Garde