Azzerrrr

Sniping is a cowards technique?

ON TOPIC and stop feeding the ducks. This is a discussion about sniping not PC specs please focus on that.

Now as per the topic, the current problem I see with sniping is that it is to easy. Anyone can pick up a rifle and get a 600m shot. I think if they added factors such as wind or having to zero your sights (because putting a scope on a rifle does not make it shoot where the crosshair is) would help balance it out a bit.

'So please if you do not wish to discuss what the thread is, or just want to whine at other peoples specs being most probably better than yours, please leave'

That's exactly what I told the idiot. He just continued to hold down a grudge against my specs which is an absolute pathetic and irrelevant subject, and yeah you can zero most guns by pressing page up/down.

'So please if you do not wish to discuss what the thread is, or just want to whine at other peoples specs being most probably better than yours, please leave'

That's exactly what I told the idiot. He just continued to hold down a grudge against my specs which is an absolute pathetic and irrelevant subject, and yeah you can zero most guns by pressing page up/down.

You are still feeding the ducks just drop it. And i am talking about adjusting a sight by preliminary firing. IE putting a scope on a gun does not mean it will shoot straight it may shoot far left or right and needs to be adjusted. So you can't just slap a LRS on a rifle and have it shoot straight it needs to be test fired and adjusted to shoot straight. Otherwise known as sighting.

Edited by ForceRecon

Is it just me or do some of you guys find that sniping is a cowards way of taking someone out, I mean to be a man you wanna look your enemy in the eye before ending his life, not from a rooftop 600 yards away..

to be fair, you can also be a coward using a shotgun, i met someone at the NE Airfield today and shot him in the back with mine, to be fair though he had a facemask, definitely would have KOSed me if i hadnt killed him

lol at this thread. really? it is considered coward snipping ppl now?

I prefere the assault role but heck snipers are snipers learn to use you head an counter snipe, not with a sniper but path of view, learned that in basic....works here too 

lone wolfing pretty much every time I play, having a weapon with an LRS seems almost essential to me. I use it to scout a town or even any expansive open areas Im crossing to keep myself safe. It's very rare I'd actually fire at someone though, it's usually a safer option to just let them pass through. that said, if I'm desperately in need of food/drink or some medical supplies and I see an armed player looting an area that I may need supplies from, I won't feel guilty about either killing them or scaring them off. most of the long(ish) distance shooting I've done has been popping zombies chasing unarmed players though. I don't think it's an inherently cowardly way of playing.

hell even players lying in wait and just shooting anyone they see; I don't see it as cowardly, its just not very clever. even with the best of cover and field of view, theres nothing to stop someone rushing you from behind with melee or fists before you can properly react. killing someone from 600+ metres away is usually more effort than it's worth if you plan to run to their position to loot them, and killing for killings sake is something I don't really understand.

Wow, really well said.  I came into this game (if you find some of my earlier posts) carrying a Battlefield4 mentality regarding snipers.  I loathed them in those kinds of games and got half way decent at killing them - enjoyed it immensely!  But this game's backdrop, back story, environment, setting... whatever you want to call it, makes sniping a legit tactic.  If you team with a few people who do the close range snatch and grab while you pick off your prey that seems like a very real end result of this kind of world.  The BF4 folk who do it... just afraid to get close.  This game though... I see the role play ascpect as totally acceptable, assuming you want to do that sort of thing.

• Like 1

Wow, really well said.  I came into this game (if you find some of my earlier posts) carrying a Battlefield4 mentality regarding snipers.  I loathed them in those kinds of games and got half way decent at killing them - enjoyed it immensely!  But this game's backdrop, back story, environment, setting... whatever you want to call it, makes sniping a legit tactic.  If you team with a few people who do the close range snatch and grab while you pick off your prey that seems like a very real end result of this kind of world.  The BF4 folk who do it... just afraid to get close.  This game though... I see the role play ascpect as totally acceptable, assuming you want to do that sort of thing.

I stopped playing Battlefield when 4 came out. It's buggy as hell I mean probably even has enough bugs to compare to the current state of early access in DayZ! And they pretty much just left an unfinished game and moved onto Hardline. 

to be fair, you can also be a coward using a shotgun, i met someone at the NE Airfield today and shot him in the back with mine, to be fair though he had a facemask, definitely would have KOSed me if i hadnt killed him

I don't think you're a coward for doing that, I mean sure it's more manly to let 'em know you're there and all but at least you're not 500-600 f***** yards away with your LRS picking off bambis. 

Stalking them for an hour and then unloading 5.56 into their face while they cook a steak, punching their faces in at Novo at the town hall, axing them from behind at Gorka police station or sniping them across a field..it's all death.

zjwiuf.jpg

• Like 3

Ah shit. Somehow, in real life, I'm playing hardcore while everyone else plays regular. I didn't realise everyone else saw themselves in the third person.

If somebody is prone on a roof there is no way for you to see them. No amount of scouting will reveal them because they are in a position where you cannot possibly detect them. That is my problem with 3pp. Frankly, that's my only problem with it. If somebody is able to find a good position to snipe from in first person mode then that is an indication of a good player. Lying prone on a roof in 3pp is tantamount to exploiting. That other players can also see in 3pp is irrelevant. No risk is being taken by these players. No skill is involved. To suggest otherwise is amusing.

Regardless, I play both hardcore and regular and I enjoy both. 

I know.  Legitimate players are hard to find.  Back in WW1, people were found 'duping' these:

post-1414-1234846321.jpg

These were a sure fire sign that someone was hacking. If you saw his little mirror glitching up out of trenches, you know that he wasn't just standing up and shooting at you like the rest of the brave souls.  This man was exploiting an advantage!  This man was a coward! Observing you from behind cover, through a means which you did not have! the nerve of some people!

Look! here's a screenshot i took IRL of one of these bastards.  Look at his callous disregard for the enjoyment of other players, exploiting like this... How dare he press his enter key!

anzac_qp_H10324_L.jpg

I bet his mates are having a good laugh at that fellow downrange.  Bet theyr'e even talking over 3p VOIP programs too!

Obviously the mods didn't care, look at this ultrahacked monstrosity! He can now fire from cover without even needing to step out of his tent!

LEtrenchperiscoped1.jpg

More worringly, we've got reports that there are now unmanned machines of death patrolling certain regions.  Botters?  IRL?  How did they hack the source code?

lots of thrown around words of realism and IRL in this thread. Makes me lel.

The zebra doesn't complain that the lion has teeth.  You don't see the diggers getting up out of their graves and crying about 'so and so had the one up on me'.

if we're getting to the IRL argument, death happens.  Complain or not, you're worm food and i'm going to take your shit however I want/can take it. 

Your tears will strengthen me until the Zombpocalipse arrives.

But then Katana's already pegged this thread as troll or C1800s thread.

TLDR: Cool pictures, Thread is lulz, people who make comments above quoted aren't addressing issue of snipers vs cowardice, they're complaining and upset that a player has an advantage over them.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 3

My personal opinion of snipers in this game... well there really are 2 types of snipers, you have your dicks that like to camp and kos, then you have everyone else... if you are in a team/ tactical session then having a sniper to watch your back is really good, or a lone wolf scoping out the surrounds before making a move etc...

• Like 2

Vomit

What a great idea! Maybe the devs could remove the 3rd person camera and implement a makeshift periscope into the game.  :)

Edited by Exorade

Snipers are the bread and butter of the game.

Without the threat of sudden unseen death the game would be boring.

The adrenaline if you come under sniper fire and manage to get away barely - good times.

(Or the excitement of the hunt the other way around)

snip

Huh. It's like you think you're making a point, but you're not. Saying "everyone has this advantage and you're just whining because you didn't take advantage of this well-planned game feature" is a pretty weak argument. Everyone can hide in walls and dupe their gear. It's part of the game so that's okay, right? If I find something that causes the server to crash, I should do it when I'm in trouble because the devs included it so I could have a quick load feature. Everyone has that advantage, and if they're not using it then they're just whining because they didn't think to use that advantage.

Periscopes and mirrors are actually good ideas, though, and blind firing over your head and around walls isn't something I've seen suggested before so you contributed that, at least.

i'd say that using a feature that's been button-bound into the software, alongside having a solid position to snipe you from (presumably with skill otherwise you'd be better able to kill the man) doesn't a glitcher/questionable player make.

Dripping with sarcasm and what not, i get how the last post may have been strange.  Duping is a straight up exploitation (or is it? tribes incorporated a bug/exploit into gameplay) but pressing your enter key gets you 3pp.  If you want no3pp play hardcore and enjoy.  Yes hardcore is a lot more fun but smaller server range etc...

I always justified 3pp as pocket mirror, but it took imagination.  just the same as the time it takes for me to get my main weapon.  I like to imagine the character bumbling to untangle himself from the rifle strap while he gets shot by the assailant in berez.  I don't think these features really need a graphic for them all. Imagination and exploring the alpha is where we're up to atm.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Huh. It's like you think you're making a point, but you're not. Saying "everyone has this advantage and you're just whining because you didn't take advantage of this well-planned game feature" is a pretty weak argument. Everyone can hide in walls and dupe their gear. It's part of the game so that's okay, right?.

..//..

But .. but ... 3pp really is a planned game feature.. isn't it ?

You think it just happened by mistake and the dev's didn't notice it, and now everyone takes advantage of it except honest folk ?

There is another glitch that some players call  "running"  You may have heard cheaters talking about it? If you press the right combo your tune will actually go faster, so you can move about more rapidly than players who are walking or crawling in the normal way. We don't like to talk about "running" because if word spread everyone would start doing it to get out of trouble situations very easily.

Then the game would be ruined and unplayable.

But .. but ... 3pp really is a planned game feature.. isn't it ?

Sadly it is. There are so many games that would be better without but decided to allow it. DayZ SA is one of them though fortunately we got quite a lot first person only servers.

I don't think you're a coward for doing that, I mean sure it's more manly to let 'em know you're there and all but at least you're not 500-600 f***** yards away with your LRS picking off bambis. 

The great irony of this entire thread, which I hope is not lost on you, is that your avatar is a picture through a rifle scope.

As far snipers and your complaining about them? I use my victims' tears to oil my mosin. Keep crying buddy, a well lubed gun is important to me.

• Like 3

Too much bravery is the blissful absence of caution.
Too much cowardice leads to missed opportunity.

A healthy balance of both keeps you alive. Too much of either gets you killed.

Too much stock in the concrete definition of either word is just another way to feed ego and pass blame.
Choose to learn from failure and adjust accordingly rather than throw all that valuable experience out the window for the sake of ego stroking claims of unfairness or OPness. 

Edited by Rudette

Is it just me or do some of you guys find that sniping is a cowards way of taking someone out, I mean to be a man you wanna look your enemy in the eye before ending his life, not from a rooftop 600 yards away..

I think there's room for both people like you, who don't like snipers, and others who do. 

I wouldn't say its just you who thinks that sniping is cowardly, but I imagine not very many others. Its a completely different role and tool (scoped rifle). You're comparing apples to oranges.

You can measure their effectiveness, or you can measure them by your own metric, which you say is looking them in the eye. I think that's just silly, and kiund of creepy really. It is a game and really shouldn't be viewed as actually killing someone. You seem to want to make that connection with the victim. I wonder if you want to do that because you really DONT want to kill them or you really DO want to kill SOMEONE.

Some food for thought:

Distance from the other human directly affects how easy it is to kill him. Bomber pilots don't have trouble laying waste to kilometers of land and killing hundreds or thousands because they don't see or hear the dead or dying. For infantry units, this takes on a different aspect, they see the fear in the other person's eyes, the sweat on his brow, the pain in his face, the blood spurting from the wound, the desperate cries for help or mercy. The enemy becomes very real and vivid, the enemy becomes someone with hopes, dreams, fears, a mother, a father, maybe a wife, just like the shooter. In a way the shooter can see the enemy as little different than himself and killing that enemy soldier is like killing oneself. This is why infantrymen are more traumatized by war than any other field.

-http://www.military-sf.com/Killing.htm

Edited by tootights

Sadly it is. There are so many games that would be better without but decided to allow it. DayZ SA is one of them though fortunately we got quite a lot first person only servers.

I must be slow, I still don't get the point :

3pp has always been a feature in ArmA since way back .. and 3pp and 1pp have been in DayZ since the first day of the Mod.

And to make absolutely certain there is never a problem with 3pp or 1pp, and to guarantee that EVERYONE has what they want, BI ensured there was

- a 3pp version for players who wanted 3pp, and

- 1a pp version for players who wanted 1pp.

In DayZ if you want 1pp you play on a 1pp server, if you want 3pp you play on a 3pp server.

Are you saying you want to play 1pp but you want to do it on a 3pp server ?

you say:

"there are so many games that would be better without but decided to allow it"

Can you name the games that have seperate distinct servers to cater for 1pp and 3pp players ? I only know of DayZ maybe you know others ?

So what is "sad" about the two versions of DayZ ?

You want to play on a 1pp server yourself, but you also want to stop people from playing on 3pp servers ?

There is a GAME you can play, you might like, called = < DayZ 1PP  > = .

Try it.

• Like 2

Thats what a true sniper has. Patience. In a dog eat dog world such as an apocalypse, you should always expect someone to be trying to off you. Even if you have nothing on you, you are just a potential future threat and it is better to eliminate you now then to regret it later. I sniper in real life will wait up to 16 hours in the same spot without moving to get his target. And a smart person would keep an eagle eye on a hot zone to pick off anyone and scavenge their remains. This is survival game and you can't trust anybody to be friendly same as the real world. A person who would live through stuff like this would avoid big cities and people hot zones to survive.

This form reasoning is just plain funny to me, to kill a new spawn because he may become a threat later. It's so ass backwards. You do realize that you are not really removing the threat, just moving it. In fact, because you took the shot you actually may have created an even bigger threat because now you give someone a mission. And now you don't know where they are and where they may be coming from and what they may have found along the way. When someone has nothing, it's the best time to attempt to turn them to your cause, not give them reason to oppose it.

• Like 2

The great irony of this entire thread, which I hope is not lost on you, is that your avatar is a picture through a rifle scope.

As far snipers and your complaining about them? I use my victims' tears to oil my mosin. Keep crying buddy, a well lubed gun is important to me.

So? It's DayZ relevant isn't it? Doesn't mean I support sniping, are you mentally retarded? :'). Okay but seriously, this thread has lived way past it's point so let me kill it right here. SNIPING and KOS SNIPING is two different things. Sniping is a tactical advantage a squad/team can use to scope out for any opposing against them, and yeah that includes telling them where zeds are because lets be honest, those little bastards do nothing but blow your cover anymore. KOS sniping is the scared act of not wanting to kill someone close up because it may result badly with a team nearby etc. Okay, I think we're done here.

Cowardly is just another word for smart in this case. I don't have the patience to be a sniper, so I just focus on middle and close range while my sniper buddy stays on overwatch. Teamwork, friendo.

Cowardly is just another word for smart in this case. I don't have the patience to be a sniper, so I just focus on middle and close range while my sniper buddy stays on overwatch. Teamwork, friendo.

:P