Azzerrrr

Sniping is a cowards technique?

Well for one thing there's getting that really long shot which is what the challenge is. On the other side of it it teaches you to never stay still for long and to also think about how you position yourself. The world is a dangerous place and you can't go browsing cities like a cow in a field. Those who take care survive better and longer. Those that don't....

Well those ones never were going to survive a zombie apocalypse....

• Like 1

Sniping is a great way to turn DayZ into a single player game that's only slightly more entertaining than Duck Hunt.

• Like 2

I guess by that statement you having a CS:S history of bunnyhopping around your enemies and then no-scope-360 them with an headshot ?

Not at all, I just have balls and prefer face enemy upfront unlike you mr.IPlayMinecraftAllDayBecauseMyParentsHateMe

In my opinion sniping is an art.

Being unseen with good camouflage + taking a long distance shot (with arma's bullet physics) is very hard and requires quite some skill, especially when wind is going to be added in the future.

Also shooting some one in the face means you give them a chance to respond, so why shoot before you let them speak? Being stealthy is what you need to survive the longest.

I somewhat agree with you, I just think it's more humane, I'd be insulted if I was sniped however if I had a 357. to my head and the guy says "sorry man" and kills me, it's more forgiving, maybe it's just me haha

Turn around and I'll see them, even at 600 yards ;) - Let player play the game the way they want to, enough said!

Yeah let them play how they want to play except M4 mag hackers!

No, it isn't just you.  There's not much skill or honor in lying in hiding on a hill and picking off unarmed bambis, for example.  But then again, who said life was fair?  The unskilled dishonorable are as free as the rest of us to play dayz. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I think it is the most clever way to engage in combat, but I don't do it because 1. I suck with snipers 2. boring as fuck

But I should at least be good with them, it is a really userfull tactic that I might need at some point.

Edited by Avant-Garde

I don't consider sniping people fun or "gutsy" at all.

I also don't play DayZ for PvP.

FPS PvP action has been old and played out since Goldeneye N64, kids.

I enjoy a unique and ever changing experience within broad confines.

DayZ can provide that if you don't feel the need to shoot everything when a gun is put in your hand.

Not at all, I just have balls and prefer face enemy upfront unlike you mr.IPlayMinecraftAllDayBecauseMyParentsHateMe

I think it's more likely a case of you being a player that dies a lot and adapted a run n gun in your face style to help cope with the frequent loss of characters. It helps you quell the rage if you can tell yourself that you only died because you were 'man' enough to face them up close and personal.

No, it isn't just you.  There's not much skill or honor in lying in hiding on a hill and picking off unarmed bambis, for example.  But then again, who said life was fair?  The unskilled dishonorable are as free as the rest of us to play dayz. :thumbsup:

Finally someone who speaks sense!

I think it's more likely a case of you being a player that dies a lot and adapted a run n gun in your face style to help cope with the frequent loss of characters. It helps you quell the rage if you can tell yourself that you only died because you were 'man' enough to face them up close and personal.

No, although you are close. I take my rage out on bambi's with melee weapons because of the amount of times I get sniped 20 second spawning in.

Is it just me or do some of you guys find that sniping is a cowards way of taking someone out, I mean to be a man you wanna look your enemy in the eye before ending his life, not from a rooftop 600 yards away..

So its cowardice to snipe someone from 600m away? You know, thats not an easy shot regardless of what you have and who you are.. but someone 5m away, when you have ANY weapon is quite an easy shot. 

At least that sniper took the shot. Most just never shoot, or run the other way.. or well, log out. Now you want to discuss cowardice lets talk about that. 

Have you ever logged out, ran away, or tucked your tail in fear when confronted with aggressors, or when out numbered?

If so.. coward. Why? Because its a video game.. why run away? 

• Like 1

I think sniping and KOS are being mixed up in this thread.

Sniping is a tactical choice and are necessary when playing in group. And when playing alone, I prefer Mosin with LRS to be able to spot threats from far away (eitherzombies or people)

And, to be a real man, you only need a Y chromosome!  :P

Edited by guilau
  • Like 2

Look I like to be the guy doing overwatch in my group. I and a spotter can make sure the rest of my group make it to their destination and are able to safe exfiltrate an area even if they encounter resistance. I would prefer not to shoot anyone, but if my group is going into an area you can be sure I am going to scan all the probably locations for enemies and eliminate them before they become a problem for us.

When alone I always scope out a city before entering and tend to avoid it if I see activity although I probably have scared the hell out of a couple guys popping zombies for them and then slipping away. Once inside I switch to a more close up means of defending myself. 

What I don't do is camp and try and get kills for no reason. If I kill it is to eliminate a potential direct threat to myself or someone else. 

• Like 2

I think what is being skirted around is Snipe/Camping lying in wait for anyone to come by. Right now the survival aspect of the game is a shadow to the combat part. Some people like to be weasels lying in wait for players to come by. While I do not judge this part of the game I consider it one of the dangers and the threat keeps me more alert. Wolf packs sometimes employ a sniper as do general robbers if they are smart. 

The main problem though is that most people wont regard a surprise hold up as what it is. Since equipment is so easy to find, most will fight to the death to kill those robbing them instead of playing along and accepting the situation. I wish more people would hold people up besides just KOSing them outright. I for one would love to play along. Yeah it would suck to lose my good equipment but it would also just be fun. 

The clan im in tends to like to loot and KOS most of what they see. Mostly equipped people and Bambis if they get to close or appear hostile. I tend to be a loner going from place to place, trying to remain unseen, even to zeds and im getting pretty good at it. 

I recall one time some friends and I opened a new server and we were welcoming everyone in on the first night.  I got shot in the head and so did many others because one new member had raced to the fire station and was hiding under the stairs killing anyone who entered.  I couldn't understand that but I think he must have enjoyed it or wouldn't have done it.  People are strange. 

• Like 2

The game is so broken currently that sniping is the only way I can play. In a 1v1 gunfight, I can put 60 shots straight in to the person and before the game detects that he's dead, he can turn and kill me and then we both end up dead. Without a fail every time, even when I win the battle, I still die. 

One does not simply fire with an LRS at close range...

Granted there's close range sniping and long range sniping (requires LRS, maybe compensator and bipod). Close range you can do with anything, SKS, whatever, with no scopes, just iron sights. That actually takes some skill, especially because within cities most people run like ants tripping on LSD and are very hard to get a lock onto... unless they're with friends or distracted. However, long range sniping, especially now with the sway, takes a LOT of patience. I don't think it's cowardly, I think it's a part of the game. Never assume you're alone, never assume you're safe, never ignore your surroundings, always know your escape routes, and always know your openings. But again, if you have an LRS and say a Mosin, what are you going to do? You're not going to go looking for a close up gun fight, you're going to use those tools to your advantage and put some distance between yourself and any survivors that you wish to no longer be surviving.

No sir. If an opponent takes a Mosin, and skillfully pops your brain housing group from 500 meters+ away, you say "THANK you sir. May I have another?"

On the other hand, if that "in your face" mentality is just how you like to RP your characters, having a disdain for distance shooters, and preferring to put a .357 magnum in someone's mouth, to respect the man by looking him in the eyes before you end his life, then, sir, I salute your balls.

Is it any less cowardly than ambushing your target at close range?  If you want an honorable fight, you are living in the wrong century.

Sounds like someone got sniped one to many times. I dare you to ask Marine recon snipers if they are cowards...