hotcakes

Adding dynamism to gunfights

-Let the player keep their weapon in the scoped and ready to fire stance when running. 

-Vary the speed a player runs with their gun out and scoped depending on how heavy the gun is. A dexterity stat is already in the game used to determine weapon turn rate, this should be easy.

-Make the weapon shaking dependent on the dexterity stat.

-Enable running sideways 

-Enable shooting while running

BAM, the light weapons now have a niche and you can fight in a manner different from CoD!

• Like 1

-Let the player keep their weapon in the scoped and ready to fire stance when running. 

-Vary the speed a player runs with their gun out and scoped depending on how heavy the gun is. A dexterity stat is already in the game used to determine weapon turn rate, this should be easy.

-Make the weapon shaking dependent on the dexterity stat.

-Enable running sideways 

-Enable shooting while running

BAM, the light weapons now have a niche and you can fight in a manner different from CoD!

Eh, should never be looking down the scope of anything magnified whilst running.

Unmagnified optics, sure.

One big thing that would help add a ton of just... straightforward-ness, would be a better audio system to tell where shots are coming from. Shouldn't be pinpoint accurate, but jeeze, every time I get shot at it sounds the same regardless of where it's coming from.

• Like 2

I hadn't played before I read posts about how horrible the new movement speed is when aiming.

Then I play and it's not bad at all. Movement speed could be increased a little for readied while not aiming, but it doesn't even need it.

I just wish strafing was more responsive.. When trying to strafe around a corner it feels like you're moving with a washing machine strapped to your head.

• Like 2

You should change the thread tittle to how to turn the game into unreal tournament or counter strike.

• Like 5

You should change the thread tittle to how to turn the game into unreal tournament or counter strike.

90 hours of in-game play.

What is your point ?

While I don't agree (necessarily) with making the game more like "twitch" shooters, I think your opinion must be weighed against the fact that you've only played the game for 90 hours.

IE - Maybe you don't know as much as you presume.

While I don't agree (necessarily) with making the game more like "twitch" shooters, I think your opinion must be weighed against the fact that you've only played the game for 90 hours.

Play time should not mean diddily squat.

Also if you really want to judge me then judge me by the first Bohemia Interactive game I played.

I was 11 years old playing operation flashpoint on my very very old HP computer with a tiny riva TNT 2 32 mb video card inside.

NVidia_RIVA_TNT2_(ca._2001).jpg

So if you are trying to call me a newbie I am anything but that. I was probably loading up godzilla and t800 addons in Operation Flashpoint long before you probably even heard of BI.

I don't see how the majority of the ops points would even come close to that, oh wait, that's a pretty standard response from ole gibby, pretty sure he has that one bound to an F key...

I definitely don't understand why we can't run and shoot even if it would be horribly inaccurate.

well the weapon system has a long way to go still, will be interesting to see what it's like a year or two from now...

NVidia_RIVA_TNT2_(ca._2001).jpg

ha ha ha - bro, did OPF did even run "properly" with that card (owned that too).

First time i played OPF was with my brand new Geforce2MX - WEEHEEE...took me like  4 weeks to even manage the first 2 missions after that i stoped cuz i had no clue how to command my troops in that game, i def. should try it nowadays.

Whut ever, OP has some good points:

-Let the player keep their weapon in the scoped and ready to fire stance when running.  It's cool for scoopin, but u really can't hit anything and could earn really bad eyeinjury.

-Vary the speed a player runs with their gun out and scoped depending on how heavy the gun is. A dexterity stat is already in the game used to determine weapon turn rate, this should be easy. I totally agree, this hopefully gonna add on a upcoming stamina-system.

-Make the weapon shaking dependent on the dexterity stat. See above.

-Enable running sideways. Sure but decrease accuracy then.

-Enable shooting while running - See above.

Edited by Guest

Also if you really want to judge me then judge me by the first Bohemia Interactive game I played.

I was 11 years old playing operation flashpoint on my very very old HP computer with a tiny riva TNT 2 32 mb video card inside.

So if you are trying to call me a newbie I am anything but that. I was probably loading up godzilla and t800 addons in Operation Flashpoint long before you probably even heard of BI.

And I've been playing First Person Shooters (competitively) for 20 years... My point is that you spend the majority of your time posting on these forums and not enough time in-game actually experiencing and testing the mechanics to be able to come to educated and accurate conclusions. I'm not saying your opinion is completely invalid, only that it's hard for you to have a really educated opinion with only 90 hours played. 

Whatever game you played from whatever studio for how-many ever years doesn't mean diddly squat. 

I think there's a fine line between "Realistic" mechanics and "Simulation" mechanics. I think the physical attributes of muzzle-velocity, bullet drop, rate of fire, reload time, sway, and other mechanics should definitely lean towards "realistic", WITHOUT making the game a "military simulation". Because, quite frankly, military simulations are fucking boring.

The team should aim to be as realistic as possible without sacrificing FUN.. And it's really not "fun" to feel like you're hauling around a 100lb weight on your head in first person mode every time your player comes to a stop. I say this with 20 years of FPS experience and competitive gaming experience to back up my opinion. I was winning money in LAN tournaments before BI ever existed and probably before you had pubic hair. No offense.. But if you wanna pull the experience card, there it is.

• Like 2

We should be so lucky. DayZ/Arma will never be as good a game as UT or CS.

90 hours of in-game play.

I lol'd.

What is your point ?

Incoming...

I lol'd again.

I didn't play Arma much. I didn't play Arma 2 much. I haven't played Arma 3 much. I didn't play the Mod much. I own them all, but I just don't like them.

However, I have played the Standalone for 1,250 hours. In my opinion, the OP is right in suggesting we need better gunplay. I am all for authenticity/realism, but I didn't come to realize how important accuratesmooth controls are until this last update that set the game back months. I would rather have responsive controls that enable for a more fulfilling PVP experience than getting shot in the arm because my fucktard of a character can't seem to comprehend how to stop properly at a corner, or by having my head blown off because even after pressing "Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z", he still won't fucking prone behind a small stone wall.

At the end of the day, this is a game where injecting morphine/applying a splint mends a broken arm/leg in seconds. It's already plenty unrealistic. We might as well make it satisfying to run around and interact with the environment since we all spend 90% of our time so doing.

• Like 5

Its good to see you us forum warriors haven't changed a bit.

;) 

• Like 1

Oh dear god NO if i want to play counter strike guess what ill play  counter strike.. I dont have as many hours as grimey rick in the game a mere 450 hours logged but i have played OFP arma , arma 2 , arma 3 for good knows how long.

Rick i find it strange you rag on the game so hard and yet have played 1200 hours of it ?? Honestly if you think CS or UT are better games why arent you playing them ???

Thank god the devs dont listen to 95% of this community cause the game would be a cluster fuck if they did....

• Like 2

I think a lot of the current thinking on DayZ gunfights is along the lines of Mobility vs. Readiness. A good fighter knows how to blend the two together, when to sacrifice one for the other, and so on.

That said, I really like the idea of being able to run full-out while firing entirely inaccurate shots to the side or behind you. I feel like this game needs more options for cinematic shit like that. Who knows - once they add scorpions or some other automatic PDW, it might even be useful from time to time. At the moment, it still smacks loudly of the hardcore military simulator the ArmA series aims for, rather than the survival-oriented trust-killer that DayZ is meant to be.

Oh dear god NO if i want to play counter strike guess what ill play  counter strike.. I dont have as many hours as grimey rick in the game a mere 450 hours logged but i have played OFP arma , arma 2 , arma 3 for good knows how long.

Rick i find it strange you rag on the game so hard and yet have played 1200 hours of it ?? Honestly if you think CS or UT are better games why arent you playing them ???

Thank god the devs dont listen to 95% of this community cause the game would be a cluster fuck if they did....

Have you ever played CS or UT? Because if you had, you'd realize that UT and CS have completely different mechanics and fall into completely different sub-genres.

CS = Tactical shooter (Probably one of the first, along with Rainbow Six)

UT = Arena shooter

Yes, CS had (and still has) arcade elements... But it's also one of the most popular FPS games of all time, and at one point in time was one of the most competitive LAN scenes in the world, right up there with Starcraft in Korea. 

Again, NOT saying DayZ should play exactly like CS... only that it could learn a thing or two from CS because the games honestly have more in common than not.

1. Both were Mods (Half-Life -> CS, ArmaII -> DayZ)

2. Both were genre defining (CS = Tactical shooter, DayZ = Open-world survival shooter)

3. Both became their own standalone games.

4. Both aim(ed) for realism (within reason)

The difference is, CS has ALWAYS stuck to its roots and with the formula that worked (for the most part), where-as DayZ has evolved a little more (for better or worse.)

So, when you say "GO PLAY CS OR UT THEN IF U DONT LIEK DAYZ", you're insulting yourself more than you're insulting people who play DayZ and draw parallels to CS.

• Like 1

Have you ever played CS or UT? Because if you had, you'd realize that UT and CS have completely different mechanics and fall into completely different sub-genres.

CS = Tactical shooter (Probably one of the first, along with Rainbow Six)

UT = Arena shooter

Yes, CS had (and still has) arcade elements... But it's also one of the most popular FPS games of all time, and at one point in time was one of the most competitive LAN scenes in the world, right up there with Starcraft in Korea. 

Again, NOT saying DayZ should play exactly like CS... only that it could learn a thing or two from CS because the games honestly have more in common than not.

1. Both were Mods (Half-Life -> CS, ArmaII -> DayZ)

2. Both were genre defining (CS = Tactical shooter, DayZ = Open-world survival shooter)

3. Both became their own standalone games.

4. Both aim(ed) for realism (within reason)

The difference is, CS has ALWAYS stuck to its roots and with the formula that worked (for the most part), where-as DayZ has evolved a little more (for better or worse.)

So, when you say "GO PLAY CS OR UT THEN IF U DONT LIEK DAYZ", you're insulting yourself more than you're insulting people who play DayZ and draw parallels to CS.

Thank you mr 20 years pro experience at FPS shooters i own CS and back in the day owned UT i am bloody 41 i have more than 20 years playing FPS games nope not to your astounding level maybe but yeah pull ya head out ya butt..

He said they were better games and to some people they very well maybe ( i enjoyed the shit out of both ) but if you believe them to be better why are you playing an inferior game??? Doesnt make sense you play what you like the most and with 1200 hours its seems obvious what he likes playing.

Sand in panties it seems a serious problem on these forums specially in you experts... Logic is seems a lost art the art of talking shit seems the wave of the future..

• Like 1

New system requires more dexterity and coordination to move quickly in firefights. Adapt. Stop bitching just because you aren't as adept with it yet.

• Like 4

Thank you mr 20 years pro experience at FPS shooters i own CS and back in the day owned UT i am bloody 41 i have more than 20 years playing FPS games nope not to your astounding level maybe but yeah pull ya head out ya butt..

He said they were better games and to some people they very well maybe ( i enjoyed the shit out of both ) but if you believe them to be better why are you playing an inferior game??? Doesnt make sense you play what you like the most and with 1200 hours its seems obvious what he likes playing.

Sand in panties it seems a serious problem on these forums specially in you experts... Logic is seems a lost art the art of talking shit seems the wave of the future..

Seems like the only person failing in logic here is you.. Not to flame or fight over this but why can't CS be a superior game AND DayZ be fun to play? I mean, I think most of us including Grimey Rick ENJOY DayZ.. Why else would we be here? And just because we enjoy DayZ and want to see it become the best game it can be doesn't mean we are blind to the reality that better FPS games have existed.

CS was a better game, but I played it competitively for 7+ years, at a reasonably high level... I quit because to manage a competitive team takes a LOT of time and a LOT of energy, and I am much older and more responsible now, so I find more casual (less competitive) games like DayZ are more healthy for me. Does this mean I should go back to playing CS because I think it's a better game?

Umm.. No? I still LIKE and ENJOY DayZ but I recognize that it has some serious faults, and I am patient and tolerant of those faults because this game is still in Alpha and I know there's time for those faults to be addressed.

Let's  look at the facts:

DayZ is a shooter. (FPS)

DayZ has "realistic" weapons.

In DayZ, death is permanent.

It takes only between 1-4 hits from any given weapon to kill someone, which means there's very little margin for error.

When you take those factors into account, you can extrapolate that for GOOD game play/gun play to exist, the controls should be responsive and intuitive.. Not slow, clunky, or unresponsive, as they are now.

If the controls and mechanics remain clunky and unresponsive, the game will die out because people will get frustrated with dying unfairly and go find better games.

This is not saying "FUCK THIS GAME IM GOING OT PLAY CS", it's saying "This game has issues that need to be addressed." It's the exact opposite of fanboism.. It's called constructive criticism, and last I heard, as Alpha testers, that's part of our job.. to give that.

• Like 2

Ignore the Unreal Tournament comments. Some people refuse to realize that certain twitch shooter aspects are in fact more realistic than how things are done in DayZ.

I'm sorry, where did I state I don't like DayZ? I love DayZ, obviously. And I still play CS and UT. That's the magical thing about video games: you're not bound to only one and can play them as your mood changes!

DayZ has the potential to be my favorite game of all time, and it very well may live up to that potential. However, there's no denying that games like CS and UT that have been around for years, have a massive following spanning two generations now, and have been nurtured since 1999 are better games. We're comparing polished products to an alpha. Genres are genres. You can't say that a game is better than another based simply on its genre. However, you can say that a game is better based on controls, user interface, performance, gameplay, graphics, replayability, etc.

This game is so very clunky and unenjoyable to move around in which is a severe hindrance to a game that has you running around for all of your time playing. I'm sure they'll eventually fix it, but it's mind-blowing that they released what they released the other day, especially after the critique on Experimental beforehand.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 3

New system requires more dexterity and coordination to move quickly in firefights. Adapt. Stop bitching just because you aren't as adept with it yet.

Even fucking Minecraft has better movement than DayZ, and that's saying something.

I'm sick and tired of the stop-and-shoot mechanics in this game. It's not a generic shooter, the movement should be better than this. 

• Like 2