hotcakes

Adding dynamism to gunfights

and you know what im looking for ??? you assume you know how I play this game .. simple observation clearly supported by the amount of KoS related threads make as many smart ass remarks as you like wont change the fact the majority of people playing dayz play it as a shooter 

because the game is fucking incomplete.  How hard is that to understand???  None of the elements that make DayZ a survival game at all are in.

Uh...

Why exactly did this thread get moved to Recruitment? Lol.

Am I missing something?

Likely because 'Recruitment' is right under 'Suggestions' in the move menu.

I'll fix.

While I don't agree (necessarily) with making the game more like "twitch" shooters, I think your opinion must be weighed against the fact that you've only played the game for 90 hours.

IE - Maybe you don't know as much as you presume.

Play times means little, 90 hours is loads, and whos to say he hasn't played lots of arma or dayz mod

because the game is fucking incomplete.  How hard is that to understand???  None of the elements that make DayZ a survival game at all are in.

i was talking to the organ grinder not his monkey ... complete or not dayz is shooter with tacked on survival .. the mindless PvP/KoS is testiment to the fact 2500 forum post and you still havent changed it ... 

-Let the player keep their weapon in the scoped and ready to fire stance when running. 

-Make the weapon shaking dependent on the dexterity stat.

-Enable running sideways 

-Enable shooting while running

BAM, the light weapons now have a niche and you can fight in a manner different from CoD!

1: Have you ever tried running while looking down an actual scope? you won't see a thing because the lens will be off focus (the light hitting your iris that is).

2:Shaking is already depending on how tired your character is from running.

3:Again something to try yourself with a 5-7 kg weapon in aiming towards the front and not losing your balance.

4:Besides wasting allot of ammo, because it will fly everywhere but your target, what use would it have?

5: fight in a manner different from CoD... by making it more CoD? please explain this one.

-Let the player keep their weapon in the scoped and ready to fire stance when running. 

-Vary the speed a player runs with their gun out and scoped depending on how heavy the gun is. A dexterity stat is already in the game used to determine weapon turn rate, this should be easy.

-Make the weapon shaking dependent on the dexterity stat.

-Enable running sideways 

BAM, the light weapons now have a niche and you can fight in a manner different from CoD!

I agree with the sentiment here, but i have a few changes/additions I think are an improvement:

-Based on some of the points made, it sounds like you want to be able to strafe at a running speed while aiming your weapons, however you go out of your way to say it would make it different than COD, but this is a contradiction as games like COD and/or Battlefield involve quite a lot of strafing in firefights. In my opinion this does not match the spirit of Day Z (even though i'm new to the game and haven't invested a lot of time in it, the things that make it more tactical and different from Battlefield/COD in firefights are what I like about it. My solution is to implement stances that fit the weapon being used. For example:

-A player using a long rifle like a Mosin or and SKS would take a stance like what already exists, we'll refer to it as the "Long Rifle" stance. It would have what we'll refer to as a low "mobility". Moving any direction but forward is much slower.

-Then there would be the "Assault" stance, this would be used for assault rifles and smg's. It would have better mobility overall by having a faster forward motion, but not quite at running speed (i'm thinking just below jogging speed) and have faster, but still relatively low strafing speed.

-Lastly there would be the "Pistol" stance, and would function much like the Assault stance but with even better mobility.

-These stances would all be automatic, and would give certain weapons certain advantages, and all would have a slow acceleration to strafing. That way players can't "dance" to avoid gunfire like in COD and other similar games. 

As far as overall movement something I have noticed is a lot of players will sprint in close quarters gunfights to close into melee range. This isn't necessarily an issue, but what is troubling is how easy it is to make constant, rapid 90 degree turns while at a full sprint. That's a little silly. Extreme tight turns like that while running should either require the player to slow down to a jog or walk, or force them to slow their speed involuntarily when the turn is made.

EDIT: had another thought, the size of backpack you wear should modify what speed you move at, particularly when moving with your weapon out. The specifics are obvious, mountain backpack makes you slowest while the smaller ones like the kids briefcases and improvised packs have little to no effect on speed. With tents in the game and the ability to create persistent base-camps coming to the game, this would add a layer of consideration for what you should choose to equip your character with.

TL;DR: We should stay away from in-combat strafe fighting as that will make it MORE like COD, we should instead refine the current system to help retain the tactical feel of Day Z's combat.

Edited by Vadnais

-Enable running sideways 

= Running sideways while shooting? Is that even possible without spraying all over the place? If i would try, i would fell over the next root and shoot myself in the knee.

Maybe possible with one handed guns/subs but with rifles?

Edited by Freshmen