Should zombies fear fire?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should zombies fear fire?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care
    • Only when they start to burn

Hi,

If gasoline is coming with the vehicles, open fire in the world will probably come too. It would be fun to make lines of gasoline and then light them up.

Maybe they'll make torches or fire arrows too, just stuff that burnes... Maybe they will make burning houses and wildfires (stuff that has been suggested)

So my question to everyone, Should the zeds fear the fire?

Whydo  I ask that? Well, if you'd set a zed on fire, what does "it" do? If I make a circle of gasoline, light it up and stand in the middle, will the zed still reach me or will he stop in front of the fire? Will they just run through fire (or even burning houses if they should implement them), or will they try to avoid them? Does that work with the new navmesh system?

This could influence gameplay and would give fire arrows or molotow cocktails a whole new meaning.

If you still had some sort of consiousness maybe..i doubt anything braindead would be afraid of anything. Think of them as really crazy people on some really nasty drugs. No fear no need for self preservation.

• Like 1

The brain is dead when you are a zombie, making it so you cannot fear or feel anything but core instincts(hunger). So no. They wont fear

The brain is dead when you are a zombie, making it so you cannot fear or feel anything but core instincts(hunger). So no. They wont fear

Isn't fear a core instinct? Humans are hard-wired to fear certain things, without even knowing what they are.

Isn't fear a core instinct? Humans are hard-wired to fear certain things, without even knowing what they are.

Well. The science behind a zombie is it has the only human instinct of feeding to stay alive when it serves no benefit. That only. But, a brain is what makes something fear. Not an instinct. It is a difficult thing to explain.

• Like 1

I would say they should be attracted to fire. if they can see the flame directly.

But when they come close enough there coulb be a random chance of fear (like 25%-70%)

Exp: a fire in a house will not attract Zeds, if the Zeds can't directly look at it.

However, if they can see through a window the fire, they come closer.

(but I dunno how hard this is to script)

• Like 4

I would say they should be attracted to fire. if they can see the flame directly.

Agree with you.

Then here is the dilemma... When I'm camping at night in the forest, I can light fire for prevent wild animals to come, but fire will attract zombie, so what should I do ?

This could bring some interesting tactics imo.

I vote no.

Edited by massacrorBKK
  • Like 3

Zombies fear nothing but technically these aren't zombies. So if devs made the infected fear the fire, it wouldn't be totally wrong

Zendertone always giving me beans and shit. Im getting fat.....Damn Heinz you said fat free!

Zombies fear nothing but technically these aren't zombies. So if devs made the infected fear the fire, it wouldn't be totally wrong

How are they not zombies exactly?

Because the behave like infected people and not the reanimated corpses.

I think this has been covered, but I understand that the creatures in DayZ are not zombies. I guess that explains why a body hit can take them down.

In regards to the topic, no they should not be afraid of fire.

Either way you look at it, be it infected or zombie, there is no fear of fire in zombie pop fiction.

If you look at the infected in 28 days later, they were not afraid of fire. They family ran through it.

And if you look at traditional zombies, they don't have and self preservation instinct. Take the example if the Zeds in 'Walking Dead', they would walk right into the spike barricades impaling themselves with no signs of serf preservation.

I agree that they should be attracted to fire given a fire at night is something of interest, same as a gunshot.

I would think they wouldn't fear fire (unless of course they got too close), I would think they would even be attracted to fire.  If basic instincts are still a factor in the infected, they would associate fire with warmth and safety.

*EDIT*

@Jester: Weren't the Zombies in the first Night of the Living Dead afraid of fire to a point?  Though now I'm having difficulty remembering if they set the chair on fire to scare them away or draw them away from something else.

Edited by BigMike

Because they aren't dead, but rather infected. I thought they were zombies too. This was covered in many threads

I think they should be attracted to fire (or any bright light, loud noise, etc).

It'd be cool if we could set them on fire - with a molotov, burning torch, or by trapping them in a building and then setting fire to it or some such - and make them run around in random directions in agro mode.

They should be attracted to fire but we should be able to surround our "camp" with traps like in the Walking Dead.

Example: Empty cans of beans + rope = improvised alarm. Creates a 10m alarm radius. If anything enters it makes a super loud noise.
Example: Shovel + wooden sticks + knife = 1x10m pit that traps all zombies that touch it. Does (x) amount of damage to players that touch it, including the trap creator.

Is this a serious question?

I mean...I really am not trying to sound like a dick...I know I can't be the only one thinking this.

Because they aren't dead, but rather infected. I thought they were zombies too. This was covered in many threads

Exactly...but they wouldn't be infected like you and i would be if we got influenca..rather a really nasty infection like as an example World War Z were the infected weren't even afraid of leaping from the top of the wall when they overrun Israel. They are that kind of "not afraid of death zombies". Any predator has at least that much survival instinct that they don't attack anything stronger than themselves alone and of course the natural fear of fire every living creature with a conscious mind has.

It should attract them but not insta aggro charge to the flame (that would suck). I think zombies from a certain radius from the fire should slowly walk towards it.

That way the fire wont be a beacon of hell but instead a very anxious situation were you no your never safe.

Now THAT would be fun.

As others have said it should do quite the opposite. Fire should attract them.

Edited by blunce

I think zombies should be like moths to a flame with fire - it should totally attract them and they should run like mad into it and catch on fire, and then run away with normal aggro attempting to kill people while on fire. Yes... that would be sweet!

Zombie hordes on fire.... I just shat myself.

Zombie hordes on fire.... I just shat myself.

like your cat?