Photonic

Why is CHAT STILL NOT FIXED?

Ive been googling and reading over OLD posts dated a year ago. 

No one can READ what I type, And I cant read shit from anyone else ..I just met a dude ..well ran into ..coming down from a firehouse tower in the North East airfield. 

I panicked and fired a shot ...he fired two ...but I just ran my ass off hoping he would see the advantage I just gave him and not shoot ...I hit T and was like "WHOA WHOA ...DID NOT MEAN TO OPEN FIRE .." 

"DONT FUCKING AIM AT ME" 

I was ducking behind the door opening ... 

We danced and did some F1 and crouch and "lean" dancing and I resorted to dropping some items to express my emotions that I was "happy" to see another player ..and I hoped I could help him ..I looted this place for 1.5 hours with this dude ...watching his back ..without any communication what soever ... I have no idea who he is ..what his name is ..or where he is from! 

He could not read my chat ...I couldnt read his ..even if he was trying I dont know ... On MANY occasions I was just like T "dude ..if you can read this just crouch a few times" 

Why is this still a problem? it has been since I paid for this thing ... I know it is still Alpha ..and I guess voice chat works ok for some people but even if I had a Mic ... it wouldnt have helped CLEARLY since I cannot even read someone elses texts. 

I have spent all my waking hours optimizing my inventory, 500 rounds of 5.56 ammo, ammo cases and 5 standard mags at ready. 3 pistol mags at ready ... first aid kits ... eating what food I cna find ..storing as little food as possible ...packing spare pistols and mags into Protector cases to give to new players ... 

I really got butt hurt last month when a hacker stole my entire inventory somehow and killed me with my own rifle ... I was HELPING people ...

but since day 1 I have NEVER BEEN ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH ANYONE???? I have NO IDEA who I have helped ..and NO one will remember me! 

What Can I do ??!!!! it says "direct communciation" when I hit T or / ...I type ...no one responds ...no one indicates they can understand ...and I have YET to read a single message from ANYONE ..ever 

Edited by Photonic
  • Like 2

I'm not sure, but it looks like you've changed a few of the controls around a bit? Try reverting back to default settings, see if that works, then try with your settings. I don't know if this will work, but the devs have messed about with default keys and it may just be glitching up a bit. I don't know but it's something to try.

T is not buttons for doing chat HAHAHAHA you was don't even do the talk is why he don't listen but is good job you doing halping all the persons keep doing and karma will make you repay in good experience

Edited by Shrub Rocketeer ™

DayZ has always had a strange issue that confuses voice with text communications in terms of direct chat. If your audio settings aren't configured properly, there's a good chance you won't be able to read or transmit text. I'm guessing the audio configuration for Arma II would work here, but I can't say for certain.

Personally, I'm all for the return of side chat. Knowing players in a server through socialization has proven to be effective in mitigating the KoS mentality -- at least in smaller, more tight-knit servers. Of course, there's also the fact that side chat works for everyone. The game also needs a /yell chat option with a radius of perhaps 200 - 300 meters.

Edited by Ransurian
  • Like 2

Huh, I didn't know the devs would work on a subject faster when you type the thread title in capital letters, that's good to know, thanks.

As said above --> go back to default settings --> use "CAPS LOCK" for voice and "-" for text chat.

Works perfectly, have talked to hundreds of players already, can read chats and everything.

but since day 1 I have NEVER BEEN ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH ANYONE???? I have NO IDEA who I have helped ..and NO one will remember me! 

Your doing it wrong if you are helping people only to get recognition from others.

Also im puzzled why you took the effort to write a textwall of hate instead of just going trough the keybindings first.

Hello there

I think this is an old Arma intermittent issue.

I too have been in situations where my text is not seen by other players. Its uncommon.

Have you checked the bugtracker?

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

I just feel the need to point out, My chat Is/has always been bound to / for typing, Caps Lock for voip.. Never once have I seen - or T as default, and T is default bound to fire mode.. o.o

I think this is an old Arma intermittent issue.

Ha, that really is (or was) a problem then, I didn't know that.

Sorry for my post, my advice might still work though if you are lucky :)

Out of curiosity... is "-" not the default text chat button for everyone? Because for me it was (and as mentioned CAPS for voicechat).

EDIT: info: didn't play mod. 

cheers, sorry about that

re-patch

Edited by re-patch

I've never ever had a problem with writing text. When you press "/" and type your sentence and press enter, does it then appear in the corner of your screen at all? Cos you should be able to see it if it has worked. T is not for typing. Cycle comms modes with < or > and when it says direct comms press / to open the typing box.

Best way to contact (or try to) a player - after checking your keybindings are correct and working on your end at least - is both voice and text chat. Text chat can be overlooked or may be borked, voice chat might be located better but is also more open and direct. Text chat does not reveal your position as easily though and utilizes the full comms range. Both together = Hard not to notice.

Your doing it wrong if you are helping people only to get recognition from others.

Also im puzzled why you took the effort to write a textwall of hate instead of just going trough the keybindings first.

What??? I have ..many times. 

Im using default Keymaps but with T bound as extra since it is more muscle memory for me. and Im playing standalone. T brings up direct communication bar. I type, "Hi" I then see "Photonic: Hi" on my screen ..but no one else seems to be able to read it. 

Edited by Photonic

I've never ever had a problem with writing text. When you press "/" and type your sentence and press enter, does it then appear in the corner of your screen at all? Cos you should be able to see it if it has worked. T is not for typing. Cycle comms modes with < or > and when it says direct comms press / to open the typing box.

I have t and / bound to direct communication ... Both bring up direct communication ..and my messages always display in the corner But no one else can read them, And I also cant get any messages from other people. 

Edited by Photonic

Please submit a Bug Report or If anyone knows of an existing report please leave a link.

Thank you.

Well, I can communicate with people by pressing capslock and talking into my microphone. People seem to react and understand but I am not exactly sure how well (according to steam voice test it should be okay).

There is also a written chat but I don't like to use it. It also has a shorter range, no directional information (maybe the reason for the short range) and shows your name.

1st off get a F-N mic, and since you don't have one here is how to fix it..

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=11749

next step get a MIC.. I as well as others shoot the guys that don't have in-game voice coms, so its your own fault if you get shot I mean really its only 10 bucks....

Edited by Dawgstyl
  • Like 1

T is not buttons for doing chat HAHAHAHA you was don't even do the talk is why he don't listen but is good job you doing halping all the persons keep doing and karma will make you repay in good experience

That pig picture though!! XD

It's 2014 mate and you still manage to game on the PC without a mic?

27 years old and started with AOL Chat sims/RPG's when I was 12 on 56k  ;)

Some might remember "Rob's jedi bar and store" (I ran that one) And USCMC Colonial Marine bar (frequented that one more often than most) 

I flood social media today ..people seem to have forgotten the pressure of typing quickly. Back in my day ..Game masters graded posts based on quality and speed. 

"Photonic clinches the wooden grip of his 1911 nestled in the natural leather bound to his waist band and in one fluid motion frees the weapon in a single motion thus thrusting forward with his eyes fixed on the front sight as the weapon comes to his ribs and enables sight picture. Finger just then finding the trigger as the muzzle is pointed in the direction of fire he squeezes as the sights align with no anticipation other than "that is just how it should be done" releasing the round along the trajectory his sights had indicated" 

Such a post even if it took 10 more seconds ..is still better than "I draw my gun and shoot you" 

Content/speed was always a huge deal ...I still struggle with modern day text environments because No one can keep up with or bothers to read at my pace. 

I have no issues breaking engagement and communicating via text my problem is no one can receive said texts .. In games like Battlefield and or CS I use chat only to convey information ANYWAY.there is no need for negotiating, the objective is clear and I am intelligent enough to base my actions and ..support those around me based on how best I can take advantage of my team mates etc. So Voice chat has never been a hinderance ... you play your role, you identify those who are in a position you can support ..or those you can lead and in the case of the LATTER you "assume" they know what they are doing. Communication isn't really necessary unless you all lack a common vocab and understanding of troop movements. 

Most shit people feel the need to communicate should just be common sense ...So I have never needed a Mic. Even playing Starcraft. If they are adept enough to be playing at my level a map ping should deliver all necessary information for them to change their strategy to suit the information with less key strokes and effort provided they are able to manage economy, unit production etc and look at their map ..which they should be able to ..otherwise we shouldn't be playing together. 

If someone starts taking fire and you are in a group ...Dispersion patterns should be fucking common sense and you should be aware who is best at what and where and be able to assume who is best at what role and they should naturally fall into place ..so why do we need useless chat functions to convey irrelevencies? 

The answer is simple. I want to fucking TALK to people ...because Dayz is not just a strategy game or a shooter ..it is a social experiment. 

Sure I should get a Mic but this whole post is again a response to "lol you still type? lol what a loser" comment. I have never needed anything more *shrug* And it would still be perfectly fine for my needs if I could just get it to fucking work. 

Edited by Photonic

So I'm guessing this fixed it? Or did you re post your same original post because no one will fix it for you ?

1st off get a F-N mic, and since you don't have one here is how to fix it..

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=11749

next step get a MIC.. I as well as others shoot the guys that don't have in-game voice coms, so its your own fault if you get shot I mean really its one 10 bucks....