alferret

Random weapon jams

Would like to see weapons randomly jamming if they are not kept in good condition, meaning you need a weapon cleaning kit and have to use it.

The longer you keep hold of a weapon the more chance it has of mis-firing or not firing at all. If you drop your weapon & replace it with another then the "new weapon" would take on the characteristics of the old one, that would save people discarding one (say 1911) for another one of the same. It would add another touch of realism, something which we all look for in this game. Also having plastic bags & elastic bands spawn so that they can be used to cover the barrel of a rifle to stop water/dirt ingress into the barrel.

random weapon jams has been mentioned on here before. But the plastic bags has not. But, I am sure the jams will see themselves into the end product

• Like 1

If you drop your weapon & replace it with another then the "new weapon" would take on the characteristics of the old one, that would save people discarding one (say 1911) for another one of the same.

Why would you punish people when they find a new weapon? Let 'm replace weapons all they like. The state of the weapon they find will probably be randomized any way.

Also having plastic bags & elastic bands spawn so that they can be used to cover the barrel of a rifle to stop water/dirt ingress into the barrel.

That would be assuming the water doesn't get in any other way. I don't think it would make a lot of sense to have this in the game as you're either going full submersible or you'll stay above water. There are no water physics in this game and protecting the firearm with just a rubber wouldn't be very realistic when people take a swim in the ocean.

I think they will at some point introduce misfiring and jamming as they already have a weapon cleaning kit introduced.

If you drop your weapon & replace it with another then the "new weapon" would take on the characteristics of the old one...

...would add another touch of realism

Uhh...

I doesn't really make sense to have characteristic magically transfer between items.

• Like 2

I'd rather have these things related to, firstly, the ammo then the Mags (if required) and then, finally, the firearm itself.

That is basically the main ways things jam. Bad ammo then Bad mags then mechanical fault. I'd also like firearms to degrade with use. Not quite to the length of Far cry 2, but more like FNV. Cleaning can return the condition to pristine unless the weapon has been damaged by an outside source in which case it can only change it to worn.

A weapon stoppage barring a short recoil does not require a tool to clear out. I would like to see a STALKER style weapon malfunction system where a stoppage is cleared out with the reload button  (or in this stage with the crappy UI, the scroll wheel).

Would like to see weapons randomly jamming if they are not kept in good condition, meaning you need a weapon cleaning kit and have to use it.

I would like this also regarding ammo - damaged ammo should have a higher chance of jamming and/or waer down your weapon faster.

The longer you keep hold of a weapon the more chance it has of mis-firing or not firing at all. If you drop your weapon & replace it with another then the "new weapon" would take on the characteristics of the old one, that would save people discarding one (say 1911) for another one of the same.

I don't like this and would rather like to stay on the realistic side. Your weapon wears down by getting used and also by getting hit by attacks (both melee and ranged) and getting dirty/wet. If you pick up a new weapon the condition of your old weapon has no influence.

Plasic bags and elastic bands are a good idea in general to keep your items from getting wet and dirty. Use them to craft a "plastic container", that can be used to cover your weapon or to put items inside (similar to a protector case but without extra slots).

Edited by Evil Minion

A weapon stoppage barring a short recoil does not require a tool to clear out. I would like to see a STALKER style weapon malfunction system where a stoppage is cleared out with the reload button  (or in this stage with the crappy UI, the scroll wheel).

Stalker fights can get terrifying when you're using a damaged weapon and it jams.

Bagging your weapons makes sense for older weapons, newer weapons (and reportedly the AK47 though I've never put it to the test) have far better designs to deal with these things.

As far as transferring "weapon condition" hell no that's the whole point of picking up a new weapon. For example let's say I'm tearing ass through cherno and a sniper pings my backpack ruining my 1911. In a room I duck into to avoid death bandage etc. I find a pristine 1911, well now I'm screwed especially if that was my only weapon. Cause as soon as I pick it up BOOM it's now ruined also.

Actually having condition besides ruined effect a weapon I like, unless that hand guard a zed smacked and ruined causes my weapon to jam because now we've tossed that precious realism out the window because a cracked hand guard might pinch my hand a bit but it doesn't effect anything else all in all mostly a good idea if implemented right

Rather than having weapon condition persistent per-character, wouldn't it make more sense to have most weapons in worn condition and below? I don't think I've ever found a worn or damaged weapon, they've all been pristine. Players should be rewarded for maintaining their weapons. Getting a weapon to pristine condition should be a difficult task to encourage players to stick with one weapon rather than picking up new ones at a whim. If I have a pristine .22 that I've been maintaining for the past hour, it should be a tough decision to pick up a badly damaged AKM.

Of course a system like this might encourage players to horde maintenance kits for a good weapon, and forgo low-tier weapons altogether - so maybe that's a point worth discussing. 

Edited by BeefBacon

If I have a pristine .22 that I've been maintaining for the past hour, it should be a tough decision to pick up a badly damaged AKM

I'm going to address your whole post but I wanted to get to this first. Once they fix/balance weapons this will never be a tough decision, AKM/M4 will win everytime.

As to the rest of it I like the concept but again we have 0 time frame reference as to Z-Day - waking up on the coast. Now weapons found in police stations/bases etcetera should still be pristine (I operate under the assumption these were left during the outbreak) however weapons at say a heli-crash would make sense to be worn at best. While I don't think I've ever found a "fully worn" AKM I do find pristine AKMs with worn-badly damaged attachments which makes my head hurt because how is a weapon with "stock" busted attachments pristine? It would only make since that it's "worn" at best. But like I mentioned earlier the attachments shouldn't effect the receiver. I'm my hand guard is ruined my flashlight/bipod etc. should not function but that would not cause a Jam.

Weapon cleaning kits should also repair attachments (which they might generally only find them when I have an SKS or a Mosin or pistol without attachments)

I also think that they need to overhaul the "status" to exclude Pristine all together if pristine status can not be achieved once lost. A "pristine" weapon should not have any viewable status until it becomes worn. Then the item should never read better than worn if that's the highest maintainable status.

Otherwise a "pristine" weapon cleaning kit should return a weapon to pristine immediately read as worn, and when used next only repair the weapon to worn, from what I understand a WCK can only repair a weapon up to it's current status. (A worn WCK will only repair a weapon to word damaged to damaged and then it's practically useless if I understand that correctly) I submit it should restor a weapon to "worn" until it's ruined but that's Just IMO.

But who knows what the future holds

Putting M4 in a bag sure might be necessary. But the AK family is well know for being pretty much immune to even harsh weather and environmental condition.