MatchboxChick

Afraid to go on

So my character is as geared as up as she has ever been. I am so geared up that I don't even want to move or go on ahead. I am afraid of bandits and butthole players who will see an army person and shoot on site. c0d03845b55499aca7783f2ee72823e4.gif

I wouldn't consider myself a hero (definitely not a bandit) but a survivor. If I saw anyone, whether they looked intimidating straight out of the cold war, or some spawned player out of bootcamp, I don't trust anyone and I am afraid of everyone.

I think I picked the wrong game to make friends on to be honest. Currently at Zelenogorsk and heard some gunshots. Marine_Emote_by_budgieishere.gif Not chancing it.

Gosh, how do I get over this hurdle. Yes, I am attached to my gear, I have A LOT! I do want to meet people, but I don't want to meet anyone bad and most people I have met, killed me on site =[

_scared__by_CookiemagiK.gif

Tips?

This is a good and a bad position to be in but you need to go outside and risk it. Taking risks of encounters makes every one you survive that much more rewarding. I got like this back in the mod days when I had been alive 40 days or something (game hour days so 40*24 hours). You care about living which means you care about dying and you're where the game should be taking you. Now you need to see how long you can live for until you inevitably dies - which is going to happen and when it does, the next challenge is to live longer.

Hopefully not at all. That's what makes the game.

This isn't your average shooter / looter. The thrill is what makes the game.

Yep this is exactly it. The fear of death - what other game have you played where you actually fear what's around the next corner. It's not some cheap fear like a ghost going "BOO!" at you. This is the fear you taste at the back of your mouth, or as close to it that you're going to get so start to appreciate it. You won't find it in any other game and it sets it apart from all the other clones.

Got geared up pretty well, high capacity vest, binos, Mosin with some attachments, food, canteens, plenty of ammo, a full map of Chernarus, a compass, medkit with saline etc. and I dropped it to a new spawn only to go collecting more gear again. When I met some bandits in Novo and told them that I had just given my stuff away to a new spawn and was looking for loot one of them says, "Who does that?" I respond with, "I do, because it's fun to find loot." They didn't believe me and insisted I had friends nearby, soon after I was dead. But they didn't get much because I gave it to someone who could use it more effectively. I find that I'm more frantic and on edge the more I gear up. Once the loot is gone I feel free. So try to be minimalistic. Carry only what you need to live and a way to defend yourself, preferably a handgun, as it makes you less of a target if you don't have a weapon on your back. You'll survive a little longer, but in cases where you meet people who just like to murder others for fun it doesn't matter how little geared you are, you'll get shot. Bandits are awesome and murderers make the game boring. But when they already have interaction with other players (their friends) they feel more inclined to kill everyone else because they feel safe within their group and now want excitement.

I wore a bright orange raincoat and red hard hat and went around finding things just to give away to people. This was on a HC server where most people I met were friendly, most of them were like "What...you're giving away you gear....whaaaaa?" lol

Edited by Jexter

From time to time - if you are feed up with hiding - go on a tourists trip.
http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/615050604183918193/F349650619CEFAE652199F175E097EA3B2535B24/
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/615050604183961770/92E653B55EB6BAB49E3026EA9A88B3C5F354BFDC/
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/615050604183980638/22AA3B5929720710C80FFDAE18024D7D6522A3AF/

Makes most fun if you are dressed up like one and have everything you need.
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/615050604183435771/57D2F139E27B84E92B417409058F5CB8F9A8932D/

I'm not a fan of going to the coast to give away gear to new spawns. I enjoy finding stuff myself way more. However today I played the mod a bit and spawned in cherno. I went to the super market and in front of it was a dead survivor without any gear. I went into the market, found an acu backpack on an ordinary spot and took it. Was a very big surprise then I realized round about 10 minutes later that the backpack was completely filled with meds and food.

So in regards of throwing out gear, you may consider to drop it somewhere in a market and if possible right within a backpack. :thumbsup: Maybe add a note for a lucky finder. They may find it or not, however it's saver for you that way anyway.

Edited by Ken Bean

I wore a bright orange raincoat and red hard hat and went around finding things just to give away to people. This was on a HC server where most people I met were friendly, most of them were like "What...you're giving away you gear....whaaaaa?" lol

Yeah, it's so hard to believe that a person just likes to go looting. I'm really good at looting, I'm just happen to stay until all the loot is gone through. Sometimes it's smart just to leave after you have gotten what you can from the place, but I need to learn moderation. It'll make me survive longer.

From time to time - if you are feed up with hiding - go on a tourists trip.

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/615050604183918193/F349650619CEFAE652199F175E097EA3B2535B24/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/615050604183961770/92E653B55EB6BAB49E3026EA9A88B3C5F354BFDC/

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/615050604183980638/22AA3B5929720710C80FFDAE18024D7D6522A3AF/

Makes most fun if you are dressed up like one and have everything you need.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/615050604183435771/57D2F139E27B84E92B417409058F5CB8F9A8932D/

I'm not a fan of going to the coast to give away gear to new spawns. I enjoy finding stuff myself way more. However today I played the mod a bit and spawned in cherno. I went to the super market and in front of it was a dead survivor without any gear. I went into the market, found an acu backpack on an ordinary spot and took it. Was a very big surprise then I realized round about 10 minutes later that the backpack was completely filled with meds and food.

So in regards of throwing out gear, you may consider to drop it somewhere in a market and if possible right within a backpack. :thumbsup: Maybe add a note for a lucky finder. They may find it or not, however it's saver for you that way anyway.

When servers get to the point where they are stable and have re-spawning loot to last 6 hours I might think about that. Yes, I enjoy finding my loot too, but some people are happy just to meet someone that's not going to pop them in the face. We say good luck to each other and off we go on our separate ways. This also gives me a chance for friendly encounters. It would suck if I went to Northwest or Balota, or one of the other military camps in the west then traveled all the way to Berezino and drop the gear for someone to find only to have the server restart a moment later. Once I give away my gear, I could care less about dying because I'll be better off than I was when I dropped it all. At least then I would have pants and a shirt. :)

• Like 1

I've been too busy to play much lately, and after several character resets I decided to let my son play. He's a big-time COD nerd and pretty much plays dayz that way. He runs right out in the open, wearing whatever he has found, and shooting indiscriminately with whatever he has. He gives zero shits about anything and perhaps has a better perspective on the life/death cycle in this game than I did. It's more fun to find cool stuff and use cool stuff, than it is to just have cool stuff.

• Like 1

BTDT.

Stood in a tree and dropped everything except a holdout pistol, axe and bottle of medical spirit.  Then spent several hours as Jimmy the drunken scots welder of Svetlo.  Much fun had telling noobs they're my best pal in one breath and challenging  them to a fight in the next.

It was a liberating experience, dropping all that gear and continuing to play under my own terms, rather than at the hands of some random spotty herbert, I can tell you.   :thumbsup:

I do this all the time. One minute they are shooting at a full gear guy the next. A naked man running from the trees...

Just keep playing the way you like to. If you die, you die. Just suffer through the mini heart attack, cry a bit and then start over. That's how I dealt with dying in the mod at least. 

But really, if you still have this fear and you feel the thrill when gunshots are fired around you, I envy you. I loved that feeling about the game, but having played as much as I have I don't really get that anymore.

Lulz, now it's more of a "Mo-F'er! Shoot at me? Nah, don't think so. I'm gonna chase you down too the ends of Cherno!".....

At least that's how I have progressed.

Thanks to Wookie I have an awesome backpack!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=283489187

Wait, that's the gear you're afraid to lose? You could reacquire all of that in a two hour run from Berezino to Balota.

EDIT: splelingz

Edited by Grimey Rick

Thanks to Wookie I have an awesome backpack!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=283489187

You really need to stop hording Ammo...

If you don't have a gun, the only ammo worth keeping is .357 as they seems to be common and don't require a clip. So chances of having everything needed to be effective are high.

Also the ammo that goes in the SKS and AMK, since it fits two guns but if you have neither, just 2 boxes is enough.

Med supplies, food, can opener, compass and peaches. They are the things you want, especially the peaches!

They are by far the best food as far as I am concerned since you hydrate and enegrise from them!

And if you still have that mosin ammo by this weekend, shoot me a PM. Given a few people have successfully met up in this thread without death I will be keep on a trade.

So my character is as geared as up as she has ever been. I am so geared up that I don't even want to move or go on ahead. I am afraid of bandits and butthole players who will see an army person and shoot on site. c0d03845b55499aca7783f2ee72823e4.gif

I wouldn't consider myself a hero (definitely not a bandit) but a survivor. If I saw anyone, whether they looked intimidating straight out of the cold war, or some spawned player out of bootcamp, I don't trust anyone and I am afraid of everyone.

I think I picked the wrong game to make friends on to be honest. Currently at Zelenogorsk and heard some gunshots. Marine_Emote_by_budgieishere.gif Not chancing it.

Gosh, how do I get over this hurdle. Yes, I am attached to my gear, I have A LOT! I do want to meet people, but I don't want to meet anyone bad and most people I have met, killed me on site =[

_scared__by_CookiemagiK.gif

Tips?

go live in the woods

I think that if you play the lone-wolf, like I do, then the merit of your skills is heightened by the additional burden of only one pair of eyes. You can become a better player because of that fear - and this means you scout out areas, act more cautiously and avoid situations that could lead to harm.

That is survival.

Wait, that's the gear you're afraid to lose? You could reacquire all of that in a two hour run from Berezino to Balota.

EDIT: splelingz

No I had more items but I dropped heaps thanks to someone from the forum who was helping me.

snip

The skill curve in this game is based upon decision making and risk vs reward assessment. Now that you have your gear, which was your reward while risking the runs through the streets of various towns to acquire, you have little to gain from leaving the tree line you're logged out in. Rather than telling yourself that if you die you can just start over (this ruins the thrill of the game), set some goals (reward) that you can risk your life to achieve.

What these personal goals are is up to you. But by going out and experiencing the endless story building opportunities will ultimately make you a better survivor.

• Like 1

I had a character survive since the release of AlphaFully geared to the Max and I'll tell you how it ended.

Was at Zelenogorsk saw a guy getting mauled by 2 zombies. I help him he says "Thanks" and then he kills me. GG

• Like 2

The progression in this game is 100% in your mind. How to craft, where to loot, knowing the landscape, and most importantly, accepting death. Gear is really quite trivial.

Repeat the following exercise until your heart rate no longer increases when you do it:

1.) run to the nearest town with a cop shop.

2.) hide in the building next door so that you can watch the door of said cop shop.

3.) wait for another player to enter it.

4.) kill that player with your fists.

The key here is to become callous to combat. Being able to stay absolutely calm is the best possession a player can have.

Die as much as possible. You have nothing to lose! Seriously, the day you don't care about dying is most rewarding thing you can give yourself. The side benefit of dying so much is that you'll know how to gear up faster than ever before.

If you need any help on how to get killed shoot me a PM.

You're welcome.

Edited by Parazight
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's so hard to believe that a person just likes to go looting. I'm really good at looting, I'm just happen to stay until all the loot is gone through. Sometimes it's smart just to leave after you have gotten what you can from the place, but I need to learn moderation. It'll make me survive longer.

Yep gearing up is fun. Whenever I die I get excited about finding things again lol. Once I have gear it becomes a game of survival. Right now it's being developed so I'm not playing much. Just enough to learn all the new things they put in then take a break from it. Everyone will burn out before they finish it in 2 years time. I would seriously recommend NOT playing it that much - by the time they finished it you would have done everything.

Yep gearing up is fun. Whenever I die I get excited about finding things again lol. Once I have gear it becomes a game of survival. Right now it's being developed so I'm not playing much. Just enough to learn all the new things they put in then take a break from it. Everyone will burn out before they finish it in 2 years time. I would seriously recommend NOT playing it that much - by the time they finished it you would have done everything.

That's some good advice, I do occasionally take breaks from the game. I mean, when I stopped playing last time it was for 3-4 months. Once tents become a thing I'm going to be looting everything though. :)

That's some good advice, I do occasionally take breaks from the game. I mean, when I stopped playing last time it was for 3-4 months. Once tents become a thing I'm going to be looting everything though. :)

Can't wait to go hunting players loot too. My friend and I became masters in the mod :)

• Like 1

well let me tell you something. i had a guy literally try to trick my friend and me into walking into a ambush.(which we did) they shot the girl in front of me thinking it was me and the idiot tried to loot her corpse. i confronted him and he started screaming friendly thinking that i'm an idiot. so i just told my friend to put a bullet in his head and cap the baiter. the girl was still out of it and a revived her and stripped the bandit before reviving him. then handcuffed him and allowed the girl to shove disinfectant spray down his throat and we left him there. my friend saw him get mauled by a zombie. a perfect bandit death.