SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.47 Discussion

Died at the ATC on NEAF for no particular reason, I was the only one on the server and got the you are dead screen.  Meh, not the first time that has happened to me there so no biggie, it was a fairly fresh one anyway having just respawned after freezing at the secret mil base  and coming back to the "you are unconscience" and on to the "you are dead screen".   Damn game freeze.

So, I spawn in the new village of Karmanovka and figure ok, I'll just run down hill to the newest little ville at the intersection at the bottom of the hill.  There's a military jail, a warehouse, a pub and some low level loot houses along with some cars and UAZ jeeps.  Good deal, I'll get a nice ruck, maybe an sks and some good boots, except when I get there, there ain't a nary a can of peaches, I mean NOTHING.  It wasn't picked clean because every house, car, shed or building had nothing, not even the badly damaged stuff people usually leave behind, not one shovel, wrench or hammer or even a screw driver to be found, no food, I mean zip, zero, nadadamting.  Just for the heck of it I popped into a newly reset server to double check and it was the same, not a thing to be found.  It's like the new village has turned into one big wooden floored tent.

I run up the road to the other new village, the one with the big rusty building with the cat walks, the cow shed and the hunters pub to see if that one has screwed the pooch too.  I am happy to report it is good to go.

Edited by Barnabus

Wait ,about the "lightning" part, does this mean lightning strikes people now ? Also I wonder if basic vehicles will make an appearance before barricading seeing as they are now added to the .pbo files , can't wait to see barricading though tbh I want that first and foremost after the new renderer/64 bit

Sorry for the misinformation but I ment lighting. Hitting metal creates a spark now

Anyone got a fix for the freezing?

Make a camp fire.

• Like 9

Died at the ATC on NWAF for no particular reason, I was the only one on the server and got the you are dead screen.  Meh, not the first time that has happened to me there so no biggie, it was a fairly fresh one anyway having just respawned after freezing at the secret mil base  and coming back to the "you are unconscience" and on to the "you are dead screen".   Damn game freeze.

the ATC Tower is pretty dangerous lately! nearly everyday one of our clan members died there last week on empty servers! we avoid goin on top of this building now!

Edited by brumey

the ATC Tower is pretty dangerous lately! nearly everyday one of our clan members died there last week on empty servers! we avoid goin on top of this building now!

Sorry, I meant at NEAF.  It happened both times on the second level, I never go on top anymore either

Seriously suggest you try again.  It is broken and it is bad.  I usually have no issues either but tonight in Electro I had a two on me and I had a fire axe.  Well aimed hits did NOTHING to the zeds and they killed me pretty quick, I was out side in the parking lot of the Firehouse in town.  Could not even fight them in the open space inside.  After that death I spawned down the coast, snuck up behind a zed and engaged with fists, even knocked her down, when she got back up I kept hitting her but I was doing no damage to her at all, then my LMB crapped out (the newest bug I guess) and so died again. 

Experimental is seriously busted, I was hoping for a hotfix today but I guess not.  I am going back to stable for a bit since Experimental is pretty much unplayable as it is now.

Can't say I had any problems killing zombies except with bare fists. This indeed does nothing (after aprox. 5 minutes of knocking one out a few times). Using both axes on the other hand, did one shoted the bastards.

I can confirm the LMB not working for whatever reason after a while in game. Had to restart the game for it to work. That defaluted all my keybindings but it did the trick.

TIP: Save your configs in a separate directory so you can just copy paste (replace) the defaulted config files whenever needed. If you do so while Alt-Tab(ing) make sure to open the Configuration Menu in game so that your new(old) configurations are loaded.

Are there any more zeds in this patch? do they behave different? Many thanks

I would like to apologize for some childish remarks I have made lately but damn...it's just so annoying that people like the one above me just refuse to do any reading at all and just take the lazy way of asking a question and refuse to do any research or effort themselves.

• Like 1

I like the 'new' meele abit, before I could hit a zombie from several meters away, now I have to be upclose to get them and you actually have to aim alot better now to get hits(alltough this need small tuning to make it perfect I see it as a move in the right direction). What I dont like is that moving fast when using melee I have to use the run button, makes it kinda clunky moving around the zombies, but it's ok when I got used to it, but I would prefer the melee running worked as before with the shift/jog button.

I actually took out five zombies quite easely with this new system, just circle around as before while running and aim really good and you will take em out very easely, if only one zombie you can just walk around them and not letting them hit you. What I see in your video is that your mate misses alot of the swings, and not such a good idea standing infront of the zombie, always circle around and hit them in the back:p.

In short, you guys basicly suck at using the melee weapon ^_^

its not so much they suck at the melee, what your seeing in that video is the direct effect the navmesh system is having on server client intera ctions, on the guy who is tryna kill that first zombies screen, that zombie is most likely in a different position that he doesnt see, because since they added the navmesh i have noticed, whenever a zed aggros at me now, 8/10 i will never get my initial hit off on them, not because of my aim, but actually because even if i get the heads hot, they are actually showing on my screen in a different place to where the server has actually calculated them to be. people saying the melee is fine is one thing, but the hit detection IS being affected by the navmesh, because its giving the servers a lot more to think about for the pathfinding of each zed when it works. The reason i deduced this is that now i can run right up to a lot of the zombies, while they idle, right in front of them, and then when i get there, they will aggro, run straight past me aboiut 10-15 metres to where i was when they actually saw me and aggrod, but the server hasnt done all this in sync and then suddenly even though the zed is on my screen about 10-20 yards away, i then get hit by its actual location right near me.

Melee is far from perfect in 0.47. As it is at the moment it feels as if there is an invisible barrier when trying to swing at a zombie. Either its because your swing arc is altered, the reach of the weapon is reduced or a combination of both. It feels horrible, like when your having a nightmare and you cant quite reach something even though its right infront of you.

im pretty sure that invisible barrier you guys are noticing is like i said a horrible bit of lag between server and client (which also could be a cause for all these horribe in game freezes as well)

Seems fine to me. I've never had a problem hitting zombies. If you miss that much when a zombie is right in your face then it's your fault not the game's.

i think your quite wrong there. since this patch i have had it where zombies that are displayed as right next to me on my screen are not hittable for a good 2-3 seconds. having adjusted a little to this means i can better calculate how long it will take before a zed will register my swings, but that is not the fault of any person it is in fact a fault of the games syncing issues which incidentally has been made worse with implementation of the navmesh

You have no idea what you're talking about.

i agree wityh you that they dont lol

Who pissed in your Cheerios? Your post was quite unclear and indeed made it seem as though you though the navmesh had to do with hit detection. No need to throw a tantrum when a simple correction would have sufficed. 

the navmesh does have to do with the hit detection almost entirely, the only misleading thing about the video maybe is that they dont show a lot of the other things navmesh does, but then, i cant blame them as what with the gimpy movement controls and the large snyc differences caused by the navmesh addition and the server strain it adds does make for a pretty bad update so far.

granted it is experimental branch so no one can really moan its a bit fucked up when things change, that is the whole point of experimental, but still they are in fact correct to assume that navmesh DOES have correlation to hit detection. probably along with a few other of the changes, almost every change made in game at the moment will always affect both how clients interact with each other as well as how server side zombies interact with client, as all the changes add a little to the servers load, which currently is still not running multi threaded multi core support. we can only hope this fix comes soon, as it will open the doors for a lot of shit yo

Died at the ATC on NEAF for no particular reason, I was the only one on the server and got the you are dead screen.  Meh, not the first time that has happened to me there so no biggie, it was a fairly fresh one anyway having just respawned after freezing at the secret mil base  and coming back to the "you are unconscience" and on to the "you are dead screen".   Damn game freeze.

So, I spawn in the new village of Karmanovka and figure ok, I'll just run down hill to the newest little ville at the intersection at the bottom of the hill.  There's a military jail, a warehouse, a pub and some low level loot houses along with some cars and UAZ jeeps.  Good deal, I'll get a nice ruck, maybe an sks and some good boots, except when I get there, there ain't a nary a can of peaches, I mean NOTHING.  It wasn't picked clean because every house, car, shed or building had nothing, not even the badly damaged stuff people usually leave behind, not one shovel, wrench or hammer or even a screw driver to be found, no food, I mean zip, zero, nadadamting.  Just for the heck of it I popped into a newly reset server to double check and it was the same, not a thing to be found.  It's like the new village has turned into one big wooden floored tent.

I run up the road to the other new village, the one with the big rusty building with the cat walks, the cow shed and the hunters pub to see if that one has screwed the pooch too.  I am happy to report it is good to go.

Is the new town with jail was Turovo? I find loot there every time :D

Not me, yesterday i was here ( all the building was empty ) when the server restarted, and when i joined again there was no loot. and no loot in cars too. Not even a rotten apple.

Yes it's just northeast of Novo. I like it there because of the big pond / water treatment thing. Only luck I've had there was finding a vest there once in the jail  :)

Edited by haknslash

Right, and yesterday there wasn't a damn thing there.  When it first came out there was stuff all over the place, not anymore.

Just ran back through there and it is barren, like I said, one big wood floored tent atm.

Edited by Barnabus

Not me, yesterday i was here ( all the building was empty ) when the server restarted, and when i joined again there was no loot. and no loot in cars too. Not even a rotten apple.

Same for me last night the entire town is empty

I've noticed that on 0.46 and 0.47 female characters don't make the gun click-clacks when you move around.

• Like 1

Died at the ATC -snip-

I literally do not even enter them any longer after the exact same experience myself.. Only man on, run to tower.. looting.. walk up to desk, dead.

Respawn, hit player list.. just me still :/  eff the air traffic control towers... not worth it

I tried to chuck a CR75 and it just hung on the in the are about a foot away from my face.

This patch seems to have pissed a lot of people off. I finally got the opportunity to play today and the most populated EXP server had 20 people in it.

Thoughts:

• I like that they brightened up the night time but maybe they went a bit too far. I think there is a sweet spot in between what it is now and what it was before.
  • I don't like the new movement system. The old way felt fluid. I think this is a place where fun and play-ability needs to be put ahead of "reality". I know our characters aren't supposed to be NFL players but it feels like their feet are stuck in mud.
  • Crawling zombies are scary. I like it. Hopefully we can get the zombie count up soon.
  • Spawned Near the NEAF (I really like the changes btw) and made my way west by roads to the NWAF and pretty much every town I went through the only buildings looted were police stations and piano buildings. Kind of a drag there's no point in looting anything but these after a certain point. Why even have residential loot out west?
  • Frames still suck. I know we're supposed to wait until beta, but it doesn't make it feel any better.
  • Are EXP servers still on an hour restart? I played on one that never restarted after 2 hours of playing and another that restarted about 5 minutes after I got into it.
  • Like 1

So yeah after extensive testing:

Navmesh only works some of the time

Zombie hitboxes are messed up

Impossible to hit hoppers with melee

Hoppers ignore all navmesh rules and come through walls and doors when suits them

movement controls suck I guarantee you i could move faster than this with a weapon with no military training

Zombies appear to wear ur clothes down more gradually and consistently as opposed to from pristine straight to ruin

Constant freezing which results in death

Bows need more damage as they are completely ineffective to zombies and since melee sucks on them it really kills 

Edited by trev186

So this is kind of freaky. I was looting Vybor (untouched all doors shut) and I was in the upstairs office of a piano building and found an fnx mag with 12/15 bullets in it. Is this a thing now? I know it might be a coincidence but who logs into that room to dump off a pistol mag and nothing else?

Anyone else experience anything like this?

i once found a full kitted m4a1 in the outhouse/pit latrine.

RC41BobOuthouseGun8-600.jpg

So this is kind of freaky. I was looting Vybor (untouched all doors shut) and I was in the upstairs office of a piano building and found an fnx mag with 12/15 bullets in it. Is this a thing now? I know it might be a coincidence but who logs into that room to dump off a pistol mag and nothing else?

people throw stuff out or trash things all the time