SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.47 Discussion

Or maybe they are forcing players to test survival options for gathering food (hunting, gathering and fishing).

Yeah thats nice and all but the servers didnt reset in like 8 hours and there is literaly nothing. Im all for less food and stuff but as a freshspawn without anything at all the only thing i could do was pick apples actualy i went from starving to yellow hungry in like 20 mins. the thing is what after that? theres nothing to do when you ant find anything. Went sleeping after that dont know what happened in the meantime.

Yeah thats nice and all but the servers didnt reset in like 8 hours and there is literaly nothing. Im all for less food and stuff but as a freshspawn without anything at all the only thing i could do was pick apples actualy i went from starving to yellow hungry in like 20 mins. the thing is what after that? theres nothing to do when you ant find anything. Went sleeping after that dont know what happened in the meantime.

Yep when I first started yesterday it was 6pm in server and there was nothing there. I managed to get onto a recently restarted server after a few hours but even there there wasn't much. Rejoined this morning and i'm not sure it the server had restarted but it was 7:30am server time and all I found was zombies locked in houses, spraycans, gas cannisters, black jeans and discarded backpacks. If a fresh spawn had joined they wouldn't have had much of a hope and honestly I found it a bit boring running and not finding anything. Also all the servers that've been up for long are low pop too so that's even less fun.

Switched back to stable in the end. Without respawning loot there needs to be 4 hour restarts. On a plus point there was no apparent server degradation even when up for a long time. Got a couple of cases of long elastic banding i.e. going back a minute but that's about it. I suppose that's what we are testing now.

Edited by freethink

On the positive side the long pauses have gone and I've not had any issues with rubber-banding; however the melee has now got to the stage that makes experimental a bit dubious. Even the Farming Hoe mentioned above isn't full-proof, and the Fire Axe is now utterly ridiculous - it just goes clean through the zombie or you get the 'twack' of a hit but it does no damage at all. It's all well and good having to shoot them - got no issues with that - but as that just leads to more zombies and the inevitable 'KoS Krew' - not having a decent Melee isn't worth putting up; back to stable we go again.

Also I've never truly understood why new items such as the Makarov, AK101 and Grenades aren't just spawned everywhere on Experimental. The idea is we are testing them, so why not make them abundant for people to test? All the time I've played experimental since the Grenade / Flashbang was added I've managed to find just one of each and neither time it worked. By all means make them rare on Stable as essentially that is the game, but what's the point in having exp servers if the very things which are experimental are hidden from the vast majority of the people who are trying to test them. As it is, Experimental is the same as stable only with worse melee and some FPS drop.

• Like 3

I'm not sure if they added this last exp patch or not because I didn't try it but you no longer have to use spacebar to "pre-aim" your melee weapon. I really hated the spacebar addition so this is a welcome change to put it back to how it used to be.

Aside from that I have some AK101 ammo but it's a shame the servers appear they still haven't restarted from yesterday. Everywhere is wiped clean and I mean everywhere lol. Places nobody would ever go are now dry as a bone. Which is kind of cool but at the same time I need some damn matches so I can eat off the land :D. .

I've rubberbanded twice. One time intentionally trying to kill myself jumping off a tall cliff and then when I hit the ground it teleported me back to where I was like 10 minutes prior. The long freezes are gone and server performance seems great. Just wished they would restart.

Has the moon always been there because I can't recall ever seeing it but now there is one?

Edited by haknslash

How often do the Experimental servers reset?

Not sure. Been playing for a few solid hours, probably over two, and still the server hasn't reset. Haven't had any issues finding loot though.

Is that new or i did not know that  -   Wooden sticks + book or paper = fireplace kit 
Earlier was only with rags and bandage  but i'm not sure.

Not sure. Been playing for a few solid hours, probably over two, and still the server hasn't reset. Haven't had any issues finding loot though.

Im getting the impression that loot respawning made it in.. It just is sounding that way. People not finding loot in looted areas.. others finding it no problem, nobody noticing server restarts as often. 

Looking to go hunting for food in experimental (US west).  Here is what I have to offer:

2x Axe

Water

Sticks
Matches

Blaze Rifle but no ammo

sporter with no ammo

9mm bullets

a few cans of food and a couple sodas

well... alt tabbed to type this for maybe 30 seconds in the middle of a forest and came pack to all my shit ruined and unconscious... you would think I would learn by now lol...  Going to try to find my body because my axe/matches/rifle were not yet ruined.

edit2:  Good to go, message me on steam (steam name = bandersnatch) or up on here

Edited by doctajones

Is that new or i did not know that - Wooden sticks + book or paper = fireplace kit

Earlier was only with rags and bandage but i'm not sure.

If its in its new, I ganna try it with a book

Yep when I first started yesterday it was 6pm in server and there was nothing there. I managed to get onto a recently restarted server after a few hours but even there there wasn't much. Rejoined this morning and i'm not sure it the server had restarted but it was 7:30am server time and all I found was zombies locked in houses, spraycans, gas cannisters, black jeans and discarded backpacks. If a fresh spawn had joined they wouldn't have had much of a hope and honestly I found it a bit boring running and not finding anything. Also all the servers that've been up for long are low pop too so that's even less fun.

Switched back to stable in the end. Without respawning loot there needs to be 4 hour restarts. On a plus point there was no apparent server degradation even when up for a long time. Got a couple of cases of long elastic banding i.e. going back a minute but that's about it. I suppose that's what we are testing now.

Ya, the exp branch is in a very depressing(for each new character) state right now. You spawn in as this new life to this world and every where you go you see doors open and places picked clean. Over each new hill your character gets more and more depressed as you see buildings in the distance and close in only to see that it is yet another town that is picked clean. =( So now a new life basically consists of running and running and running, desperately trying to reach some obscure inland town that hopefully hasn't been looted yet. You're right, that formula gets boring pretty quick.

With server uptime getting such a boost as it has, I'm really looking forward to loot respawning. As stupid as it may seem for items to magically materialze out of thin air for no reason, it is a game and it does need respawning loot to keep things entertaining for everyone. No matter how long into a server's life cycle a player may join, they deserve to be able to find shit too. 

• Like 1

I am also in one of those "fully looted" servers, but there are still the occasional building that has been neglected or loot people missed.  I fresh spawned (see above) and have already found some tuna, bacon and a pepsi.  YOu can also pick fruit from trees and bushes, too, while drinking water at ponds or wells always works.

Ya, the exp branch is in a very depressing(for each new character) state right now. You spawn in as this new life to this world and every where you go you see doors open and places picked clean. Over each new hill your character gets more and more depressed as you see buildings in the distance and close in only to see that it is yet another town that is picked clean. =( So now a new life basically consists of running and running and running, desperately trying to reach some obscure inland town that hopefully hasn't been looted yet. You're right, that formula gets boring pretty quick.

With server uptime getting such a boost as it has, I'm really looking forward to loot respawning. As stupid as it may seem for items to magically materialze out of thin air for no reason, it is a game and it does need respawning loot to keep things entertaining for everyone. No matter how long into a server's life cycle a player may join, they deserve to be able to find shit too. 

I'd love to know how they are going to deal with someone going to a town, looting it and then coming back when respawning happens. Gamers are going to game anything. If you make it an hour before things respawn then gamers will just do little circuits e.g. nwaf, lopatino, vybor, veresnik, maybe stary and then back to nwaf. It'll be interesting to see how they solve the issue.

Edited by freethink

Is that new or i did not know that  -   Wooden sticks + book or paper = fireplace kit 

Earlier was only with rags and bandage  but i'm not sure.

Paper worked from the start I think, I read about a book in the past, don't know how long that worked. You can also rip two (was at least two in the past) empty pages out of a book and should get enough for 3 kits that way, I guess. As long as rags work and are easily obtained, most won't bather with that because of inventory space, I guess.

What I would like to see is alternatives for rags and paper like dry leaves. Usind fresh birch should work directly, a gas canister with fireplace thingy should work instead of matches, .... don't know what else. Maybe when gasoline will be there, it can be used, too. And what about the really basic way of making fire with sticks and friction? Maybe you can actually get better at things like that with time...whatever will come, there should be a way to create fire without needing the remains of civilization for those that want to live in the woods. Maybe it can be made especially time consuming for balancing reasons, but something should be possible.

Edited by bautschi

Loving the AK-101. Its recoil is definitely excessive for its caliber, but it's otherwise a pleasure to shoot. It's definitely more accurate than the M4. It sounds and looks great, too.

Edited by Ransurian

Paper worked from the start I think, I read about a book in the past, don't know how long that worked. You can also rip two (was at least two in the past) empty pages out of a book and should get enough for 3 kits that way, I guess. As long as rags work and are easily obtained, most won't bather with that because of inventory space, I guess.

The problem is that you need paper to lit the fireplace so you can only make on fire from a book. The basic material will probably have a effect on the fire in the future. (Rags can be combined with gaseline, paper burns shorter than a book FE)

Well, was new spawn on east coast, not having any illusions I went straight inland and found only looted towns. Found one can but nothing to open it with. Desperate for food I picked some blue berries and ate them and got sick. Finally found a lone zombie in stary sobor and asked it kindly to take my life, pointless as it had become. She was kind enough to oblige and after 5 hits a black calm finally came over me.

I like having to fight for my life but in the end I do need something to aid my survival...

I'm sure they'll make it right though.

• Like 2

I'd love to know how they are going to deal with someone going to a town, looting it and then coming back when respawning happens. Gamers are going to game anything. If you make it an hour before things respawn then gamers will just do little circuits e.g. nwaf, lopatino, vybor, veresnik, maybe stary and then back to nwaf. It'll be interesting to see how they solve the issue.

People already run little circuits to look for people, so I don't think that would be such a bad thing. I think if they really want to avoid farming though, they have to make all loot persistent, no hiding dead bodies and only replenish what gets removed from the server. Then you would also want to make all the regular household stuff quite plentiful. So there should be a splitting axe in every shed, can openers in every house, kitchen knives in every house and so on. Basic clothing should be quite easy to find as well. More specialized items should be the hard stuff to find, the stuff you need to trek for. With a system like that the high value loot areas become even more valuable because it's also where low end players would be having to risk it all looking for dead bodies to loot as well as your regular looting spots.

Well, was new spawn on east coast, not having any illusions I went straight inland and found only looted towns. Found one can but nothing to open it with. Desperate for food I picked some blue berries and ate them and got sick. Finally found a lone zombie in stary sobor and asked it kindly to take my life, pointless as it had become. She was kind enough to oblige and after 5 hits a black calm finally came over me.

I like having to fight for my life but in the end I do need something to aid my survival...

That's unfortunate man, and it seems lots of people are having the same experience.

Perhaps I was just lucky, but here is what I found as a fresh spawn (minus the axe/blaze) in 1 hour around the greater Berezino area.

http://imgur.com/a/Ud90D

Basically a fair amount of food, sodas, ammo, melee weapons, and even a few guns on these "completely looted servers."  You just have to know where to look.  For example in the downtown buildings with many stairs, lots of people don't go up stairs and in the various rooms on the second/third floors.  That is where I found the majority of my loot, besides a strip of unopened houses I fortunately stumbled upon.

About loot-spawning.

Was playing today, obviously all places were empty but then I went to Krasnostav and see that all buildings had closed door.

I'm not sure if somebody is playing a troll but even at the police station (there is like 12/13 door?) all off them were closed like they were untouched but loot wasn't there at all.

P.S.

My first post :). HI

Edited by Pan_Andrzej
  • Like 1

D'Oh!

Z

Edited by Ziad

want to play on EXP today but if all the servers are still unreset and all the towns picked clean...guess ill go play some more baldurs gate....sigh

they should have an official thread about it, it's a disgrace they don't!

• Like 1