Lauch

confirmed new stuff in exp. 46.

The M4A1 was made in 1996, the FNX-45 came out in 2012, MAGPUL stuff wasn't made until the 90s either. There are also things like the HMMWV wrecks; HMMWVs did enter service in 1984, but they weren't very prevalent until the mid-90s.

I highly doubt that DayZ takes place in the past.

DayZ mod took place in 80's and had m16 and makarov pistols etc.

DayZ standalone action is something around 2012 I think, that's why it has m4a1's and FNX-45

But for Chernorus 2012 is like early 90's late 80's for the rest of first world still.

Edited by Frosti
  • Like 2

I whish they release defecation soon.

why - you been taken short ? heheh

(I know I shouldn't have said that.. its just your icon's face..)

Edited by pilgrim

DayZ mod took place in 80's and had m16 and makarov pistols etc.

DayZ standalone action is something around 2012 I think, that's why it has m4a1's and FNX-45

But for Chernorus 2012 is like early 90's late 80's for the rest of first world still.

DayZ mod still had post-80s stuff in it. The exact timeframe is unknown, but it's likely post-2009 when Arma 2 takes place.

Most likely they won't do that at all. 

Why? They already made the sh*t:

BRaWjjZ.jpg

So 3rd person attackers can now attack from perfect safety never even having to expose themselves when you can just fire over things.

Good thing you dont ever need to join 3rd person enabled server aye?

One would expect this endless stupid debate about 3rd person "cheaters" to stop already, but no, it will never go away will it?

Similar thing with TeamSpeak "cheaters" and such.

• Like 2

First of all, this discussion was doomed to begin with.  The OP should have put this in Gallery, then maybe there would be 1 les comment for every 4.  That math is purely invented, and based on nothing.  Or what the Republicans in America call "Absolute Fact."  I'm an american and I approve this jest.

Second, grenades?  What purpose could they possibly serve in this game?  I use mine for thinking, so I will go home and set some off and see how I feel about them being in this game.

mzV5xLT.gif?1

First of all, this discussion was doomed to begin with.  The OP should have put this in Gallery, then maybe there would be 1 les comment for every 4.  That math is purely invented, and based on nothing.  Or what the Republicans in America call "Absolute Fact."  I'm an american and I approve this jest.

Second, grenades?  What purpose could they possibly serve in this game?  I use mine for thinking, so I will go home and set some off and see how I feel about them being in this game.

Grenades would be used for zombie crowd control when faced by the horde when implemented, and when outnumbered by bandits use it to either defend yourself or make a get away, and you could use them as a distraction to attract zombie/Bandits to that location while you move and loot/Escape.

I'm glad they changed the police cap to the Chernarussian green.

• Like 1

The simple conundrum with making rare high-end weapons in a game like DayZ is this:

The more rare a weapon is, the harder it is to defend against. 

What Frosti points out is true in every way. If you make items super rare, those who exploit the game by things like renting a server and resetting it over and over again until they find the loot they seek that others can rarely have the chance of finding, then those people who are exploiting the game have an unfair advantage over others playing fairly.. even if they are server hopping it is still exploiting something that not every player even realizes exists as an option. The mere act of making items very rare encourages players to exploit the system, causing a fracture in the player base between those that exploit and those that do not. Its not unique to any game, eventually every PvP game will be affected by this. Cheating is universal. But the way to combat it is to not make items so rare, and those that are rare are not OP against other players. Rare items should be things like Axes, and Gas Stoves. Things that make survival easier, but do not make killing easier. If you make weapons prevalent, but using them a severe risk (as in attracting zeds/players by firing your weapon, etc..) then you offer a level playing field as far as self-defense goes. I know this may not be a popular concept, but there is a certain amount of thought necessary to realize what will happen if certain things are done with this game. We have clarified some of it here, but there is much left untouched. I invite you to think about it, and come to your own conclusions about what rare and powerful weapons/vehicles/loot will do to the end game and how it will affect the casual player, the hardcore player, and those that choose to exploit the mechanics of the game to gain an advantage. Then come back and respond with your ideas.. I'd love to hear what each of you think as some of you out there are geniuses and I mean that. 

Discuss ;)

Rare = more effort/time/risk expended to get item X.

So, there has to be a reward for said expenditure of risk to acquire said rare item.

Hence why they should be, and need to be good. People just need to accept that. And I'm not sure why folks don't, because DayZ is all about inequality and is very anti-balance in the traditional sense (even though it is prudent in certain scenarios).

I of course agree with you about making it so that firing a weapon causes zombies to jump you. That's essentially what I mean when I say "add consequence" (among other factors) to killing folks, and is exactly what I mean by consequence not being "a punishment." People always jump to conclusions when I say "killing people needs to have consequences" and then reply "the humanity system didn't work." Well, duh, because consequence is different from punishment... and there are more natural forms of "consequence" than humanity points.

DayZ mod still had post-80s stuff in it. The exact timeframe is unknown, but it's likely post-2009 when Arma 2 takes place.

Yeah, not sure how anyone could possibly... ever... think that DayZ mod took place in the eighties.

There are so many blatant anachronisms pointing the opposite direction (i.e. M4A1s, EOTechs, MOLLE interface gear [see the standard vest for mod characters], AS50s, M16A4s, etc.)

I mean, theoretically it could be taking place in a fictional timeline divorced from that of ARMA II (a la Black Ops) but the evidence available doesn't support that.

[ Did someone say grenade launchers could be exploited ? Give me the post reference I must have missed that. ]

Your point of view is interesting. I read it carefully - more than once. I hope you can explain a little more. Let's not be vitriolic, ok ?

There is something I'd like to know - How is a large range of weapons going to improve gameplay ? How does a large selection of weapons add something to the DayZ gameplay experience ? What does it add

I'm glad you asked. And yes, someone did say that grenade launchers are exploitable. But even if they didn't, it's a very common line of argument that I hear when "military" and/or "high-end" weaponry is involved.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/200710-confirmed-new-stuff-in-exp-46/?p=2019763

1. A great range of types of weapons actually allows them to vary the shooting mechanic to a greater degree (and therefore the experience). Meaning that a bolt-action hunting rifle behaves differently from a LMG, to a battle rifle, to a pistol. In having more types of weapons, you're inevitably making for more types of shooting... which is a major mode of input in terms of DayZ.

2. An overall variety of individual weapons allows the developers to actually tier the weapon lineups within the aforementioned types. So, for example, you have Assault Rifle as an overall weapon category. Yet you have bullpups, 7.62x39, 5.56x45, gas-piston, etc. types of weapons which can all be represented differently in terms of their characteristics (recoil, ballistic profile, ammunition loot profile, maintenance requirements, etc.)

3. A large variety of individual weapons actually allows them to tier their already-included attachment system into a more granular loot system. So that one isn't constantly searching for the only, or even the categorical "best" weapon out of a lack of choice (or, conversely, out of all of the weapons behaving similarly). And, therefore, the tiered weapons have different acquired and innate capabilities via the attachment system. This is already halfway done with things like the SKS comparatively to the AKM, with one being able to mount more attachments than the other. However, a different approach could be taken with, for example, battle rifles.

a. M14 (Tier 4, common "low-end" battle rifle) - No modularity (i.e. the number of available attachments).

b. G3A4 (Tier 3, uncommon "mid-range" battle rifle) - A moderate amount of available attachments. Two weapon-specific attachments available (optic and muzzle fitting).

c. FN FAL (Tier 2, rare "mid-high-range" battle rifle) - An increased amount of available attachments, accepts some generic attachments. Optics, muzzle fittings, and looted rare RIS system required for mounting of additional attachments.

d. FN Mk 17 (Tier 1, very rare "high-end" battle rifle) - The same overall number of attachments available as the Tier 2 weapon, but comes fitted as standard with a railed handguard for mounting all generic attachments (without the need of an additional looted RIS item).

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

So... this place...

W6ZFjLq.jpg

It's a great bit of architecture and I love that it's so open inside, but it is a huge sniper control tower. 3 or 4 guys with scopes and you'll have an area of 500m radius locked down. Even without a scope I was picking off just about everyone that wandered near the square. There is even a lower level from the very top which has cover from the rain.

Edited by ricp
  • Like 2

Just because something can exist in that particular world, doesn't mean it should be in the game. Heck, one could argue that, realistically, there could be some missiles and jets around. Surely, zombies haven't eaten all the planes. Does that mean they should be in the game? It's a fallacious argument - that because something would likely exist in the world of the game, that it should be included in the game.

As far as abundance of riot gear and military gear, you've seen the size of these bases, yes? How many soldiers are you thinking they housed? How much military gear did they really need to keep those fairly small bases/camps running before they were overrun by infected? Riot gear, I'll give you that... but that would've been smoke grenades or tear gas. If they want to limit grenade launchers to flares and smoke grenades, then I'd change my mind about them. Even adding tear gas would be a cool feature.

Missiles and jets would provide for some interesting objectives for players, but if we're talking about if its real life could/should it be in the game, planes I doubt would survive an outbreak if they where left to nature, and you're average citizen wouldn't know how to fly them anyway. I think players fighting over a missile silo full of gear and with a possibly launch-able missile would be extremely fun if you ask me.  Especially if this was on a full server and the missel could be launched at any location on the map, putting people in full servers at some extreme risk.

As for the bases and barracks, each barrack building has what, 4 or 5 rooms with two beds per room? and there is usually 2 or 3 barrack buildings in any given area, that's at least thirty soldiers, so not counting the tents that's twenty to thirty or 40 soldiers per base. Soldiers who would also have an armory with various weapons and ammo for training/security purposes; ranging from smalls arms, LMG's  and HMG's to explosives and even anti tank launchers. There's 4 different bases on the map, plus the two in the bolatoa airstrip, the large airfield, and the large airfields actually military base.

The CDF had a pretty large soldier presence in the area.

That's not even going into all the UN hints that have been dropped in the stand alone, which makes weapons like the M4 and the L85 extremely believable and defend-able as far as reasoning why they're in the standalone.

Any amount of average military gear of Russian, American or British origin is ok in my book. I think you're looking at this from a PVP standpoint, where as I am from a killing zombies standpoint. Military gear and ammo should be in the military bases and airfields and there should be a fair amount of it per server restart, but these areas should also be frequented by numerous zombies. The only thing that would be unbelievable are things like .50 caliber sniper rifles, those would be too bulky and heavy for this kind of situation in real life and if they where ever added (god forbid) the ammunition should be EXTREMELY rare.

Riot gear in large and small numbers should be in/around every city with a police station, and I think it should range from riot armor/helmets and even riot shields (not bullet proof) to lethal and non lethal weaponry. Tear gas like you mentioned would be great, but there should also be other police weapons like pump action shot guns, sub machine guns and tazers to pick up as well.

I'd even be down to have riot zombies that take more than one bullet to kill just like the soldier zombies we currently have.

Again, I'm looking at al this from a PVE or PVZ standpoint, not a PVP standpoint.

Edited by JokersWarPig

I think players fighting over a missile silo full of gear and with a possibly launch-able missile would be extremely fun if you ask me.  Especially if this was on a full server and the missel could be launched at any location on the map, putting people in full servers at some extreme risk.

Call of Duty apart, but I do belive such missiles can't be launched just like that, they need maintenance to be operative and most important the launch codes that are usually only in the head of some high ranked commander.

Call of Duty apart, but I do belive such missiles can't be launched just like that, they need maintenance to be operative and most important the launch codes that are usually only in the head of some high ranked commander.

Yeah, realized this after I posted it. A code and or keys would have to be find but until when or if that happened it'd be useless

Yeah, realized this after I posted it. A code and or keys would have to be find but until when or if that happened it'd be useless

I can't tell for 100% but such launch code can't be found.

Silo missile launch code is known partially by commander of the silo and other part of the code is known by pressident/some other high ranked commander in headquarter of the country.

And when it's time to lanch the missile they tell the silo commander the other part of the code via "red phone"

Noone know the full code for safety reasons.

I can't tell for 100% but such launch code can't be found.

Silo missile launch code is known partially by commander of the silo and other part of the code is known by pressident/some other high ranked commander in headquarter of the country.

And when it's time to lanch the missile they tell the silo commander the other part of the code via "red phone"

Noone know the full code for safety reasons.

Makes sense.

After all the silo talk I'd still like to see an explore-able  missile silo in standalone though.

Whats with all the GL hate? What if HE grenades are extremely rare and they add flare, smoke or gas grenades? People panic over anything now, I mean these things were in the mod and I don't remember getting killed by one once. And never found more than two HE grenades a life and even then using them required the right situation.

Compared to people running around with High power sniper rifles (.50 cal) GLs don't come close to being OP.

Edited by Ricky Spanish

Whats with all the GL hate? What if HE grenades are extremely rare and they add flare, smoke or gas grenades? People panic over anything now, I mean these things were in the mod and I don't remember getting killed by one once. And never found more than two HE grenades a life and even then using them required the right situation.

Compared to people running around with High power sniper rifles (.50 cal) GLs don't come close to being OP.

GL will not be a problem even if ammo and the launchers are readily available.

If anyone has played ACE mod they will tell you this. They have a short effective range of 400m, they have a small kill radius and I doubt they will bother to implement shrapnel unlike ACE mod reducing their power even more, they require the player know the targets range or atleast be very good at range estimation.

They wont be over powered they wont be a problem in standalone.

I disagree, consequences or humanity type system doesnt work. Its all about the actual danger in the world. Zombies and the environment are not taken seriously, so PVP is common place. Really, the standard in this kind of game should be PVE and a really big zombie threat,. PVP should be a luxury that the majority of us do not have the ammo or firepower for

I think what you just stated, is exactly what he meant by consequences.  Not some artificial system that tracks who you kill.

I also think that a large variety of weapons could help the loot spawning system to keep ammo rare.  That is when loot spawns are working properly.  Yeah, you might find ammo all over the place, but it is rarely the type you need.  You may find guns of all different kinds, but you were collecting the wrong ammo earlier in your search.  Shit like that, y'know.

Edited by AlfalphaCat

a barricade system for a little protect from bad guys..... and now is shitty then the first was come in was a grenade from launcher follow from a hand grenade .......   i'am little disappointed ....

and what is rar ? wenn you make 6houres serverhopping on the military sides ^^ dichina 3 barracs - 30 sec for fast loot   30 sec for waiting on the conection - thats nothing ^^

Edited by Crusader78

Really? Grenades launchers?

Just wow.

They weren't a problem in the mod and aren't that easy to accurately fire, geez not a problem. If someone can kill you with a GL they could probably kill you with a mosin much more effectively.

Wow..

Edited by Ricky Spanish

You know how many times I died to grenade launchers in the mod?  In easily like 1000+ hours?

People get pretty worked up around here about shit we've got precedence of in the mod, and I just don't get it.  I realize not everyone played the mod, but come on, trust the people who have.  This sorta shit isn't a big deal.

Also, as far as weapon balance goes, everything is lethal so it hardly matters.  The only thing that ever seemed overpowered were thermal scopes.  1 shot sniper rifles?  Who cares, you can get one shotted by a pistol if it's a headshot.  As Katana mentions, this game isn't balanced in the traditional sense.  Some guy could have a .50 cal and you could run up and knock him out with fists, so what's the issue?  The game is more about positioning than what weapon you have.

Variety is better.

• Like 1

..//..

the loot respawn and chance of spawning a rare weapon will be done by a central server ... So, for example, if 1 sniper rifle can spawn in the hive and there is one in a loot pile on some server, no other server will be able to spawn one ...That will give the notion of rarity some meaning.

..//..

OK so (for example) 1 sniper rifle spawns in the hive.. a player gets it. Now he carries that rifle around with him until he dies and when he is killed someone else gets it... and then maybe someone else after that.. So you say there should be only 1 rifle, until that one rifle is finally destroyed.. maybe in a few months ?

Or does 1 rifle spawn every week (say) .. so that after a month there are 4 of them, and the number of sniper rifles goes on building up ?

Because to have one rifle on 300 servers (or even just a few of that rifle).. you know no one would accept that.. and all those servers would have to have the right ammo for it, in case the rifle spawned on that server.

What would happen if there was one LRS on ten servers? When all the players found out the LRS was somewhere else and not on their server, do you think anyone would be happy about that? The shit would hit the fan.

You will notice on DayZ - the Mod and SA - that whatever is "rare" all the uber players have one, if it is at all interesting. They get one so they can be uber (we all do this), and it may take a day or a week, but all those players have that item. They are experienced players and they do what it takes to get it. Then all the ubers have the same item. Everyone knows this. Each time 1 item spawns, someone GETS it, and then it's in the game. Some things may take an hour to get and some things may take 10 hours.. but neither are "rare".

So "rare" just means it takes longer for everyone to have one. It would be better not to use this idea of "rare" at all - rare doesn't exist in DayZ, never has, never will.

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

[weapons]:

Variety is better.

But you don't want to search through 100 gun spawns to find 1 can of beans