SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.46 Discussion

I keep getting killed by the tops of buildings :( ... Me and a friend were traveling across the continent to explore and we ended up getting to NW airfield , I went to the atc rooftop to check it out for loot and "you are dead" appears . This weirds me out cuz me and my friend are in the same room so if there was a gun shot I would have heard it off of his monitor ... He waited for minutes to Log to make sure it wasn't a glitched sound not sounding (like If I had gotten sniped and his game just didnt get the sound of it) but there was noone else around .

I believe this is the 2nd time this has happened to me in this patch alone (probably 4th in all of my 598 hrs in standalone) , and the first 3 times were fire station top floors and school rooftops , is there something causing this in the new patch to make it more frequent as it has already happened to me twice in just a day or so ?

If you want to stay alive, avoid climbing stairs, never get on roofs, never use ladders. You don't need it anyway.

• Like 1

I keep getting killed by the tops of buildings :( ... Me and a friend were traveling across the continent to explore and we ended up getting to NW airfield , I went to the atc rooftop to check it out for loot and "you are dead" appears . This weirds me out cuz me and my friend are in the same room so if there was a gun shot I would have heard it off of his monitor ... He waited for minutes to Log to make sure it wasn't a glitched sound not sounding (like If I had gotten sniped and his game just didnt get the sound of it) but there was noone else around .

I believe this is the 2nd time this has happened to me in this patch alone (probably 4th in all of my 598 hrs in standalone) , and the first 3 times were fire station top floors and school rooftops , is there something causing this in the new patch to make it more frequent as it has already happened to me twice in just a day or so ?

Welcome to insta-death. Seems to be a common problem at the moment.

• Like 3

I play almost exclusively on experimental servers, this is a mix between being curious as to what is being added but also because I am a gaming hipster, however one thing just now is ripping my knitting and that's the Session Lost message when the experimental servers restart. I totally understand the servers will be restarted (either for updates or just for the lulz) but it's beginning to get really annoying to be in the middle of something and the server disappears. Most of the time it's fine, but I've been caught out half way through a fire fight or even more annoying was when I was rearranging gear and had placed a backpack down on the ground and the server dropped.

So, in short, I don't mind the servers being restarted but at least a few moments heads up would be greatly appreciated even if it's just a minute or as little as 30 seconds.

Edited by ricp
  • Like 13

WE REALLY, REALLY NEED THIS TO BE GLOBAL.. ASAP. 

5 mins warning, then 60 second warning prior to server restart. 

• Like 6

Please do something against this for the sake of this game, not fun to run for an entire hour just to get shot in the back by someone who just logged in, here's an idea to stop this; bring in randomized spawns even if you're not a fresh spawn. Bring back the reload sound upon spawn, or make it so you can't log out in military grade areas.

If he is not server hoping, then there was really nothing wrong.  He could have been logged out there from a server reset of a "lost session" error and he shouldn't be punished for that.  Server hoping should be discouraged in some way but otherwise there is nothing that should be done.  In your case you assume he was server hoping looking for loot but he could have just been logging in for the first time that night after a server reset the night before.  Matter off fact you could have just as easily killed him, if you had noticed him first.

Yes, there is in fact a collision issue that can kill players instantly. Ive seen, with witnesses several times. Its very rare, and probably extremely difficult to replicate (making it even harder to fix) but it does exist. The other day I had it happen to me from a staircase and my player just instantly vanished from the server right in front of my friend.. I get the you are dead, and he sees me just poof into nothingness. Strange stuff indeed.. but to be more clear the ATC top and upper floor appear to have an issue. Its not being sniped. Its happened to too many players who are experienced and had friends nearby that saw and heard nothing. The firestation staircase and RIffy all seem to be heavily affected by this collision problem. 

Note: Olive High Cap Vest is in stable.

Zombies Seem to follow a certain amount of pathfinding, going around walls and through door ways etc.

• Like 1

Zombies Seem to follow a certain amount of pathfinding, going around walls and through door ways etc.

yeah that's a nice thing to see too. I've noticed that if I am zig-zaging ahead of em they will often do the very same zig-zag behind me so they almost seem to follow exactly my path as long as I am in front of them (makes it hard to get em to fall off the docks into the ocean now) but if get off to one side they seem inclined to change direction and head right at me again and resume the weird following once they arrive at right behind me.

We now have an Olive high cap vest, and you know what would be a GREAT idea? Stop people from spawning where they log off. Within 2 minutes of obtaining this was gunned down by someone who had JUST logged into a building that i entered in Balota, but of course without some sort if indication of somebody spawning i was defenseless. Please do something against this for the sake of this game, not fun to run for an entire hour just to get shot in the back by someone who just logged in, here's an idea to stop this; bring in randomized spawns even if you're not a fresh spawn. Bring back the reload sound upon spawn, or make it so you can't log out in military grade areas.

What they could do instead, is this:

Say you are about to log in to a server and spawn. The server will DELAY your spawn by, say 15-20 seconds. Then, everyone who is WITHIN a specific radius around the point where you will spawn, will be warned by text or some sound. The radius could be about 20-30 meters. SO that way, you would have known that a player will spawn somewhere in your area in about 15-20 second. You will have time to get out. YES, you could technically start camping and wait for him. Say you would just run out of the military area and then wait till they appear and you spot them and shoot. BUT this will only teach those people to stay away from those areas when logging out :) Hence, this will reduce the amount of players who hop through servers in military areas because they will know that there is a chance that someone will hunt for them when they log in the next time.

In a nutshell, it is basically a loud way to say "HEY, I am coming in to play!". And then the decision is after the players who are already in - they can hunt for you (it will be your fault), or they can escape the area to avoid contact with you...

Another simple way to get rid of this problem, is simply make it so people can log out only in forests (or anywhere outside a city or a village boundary). Or, perhaps, allow logging out only outside buildings.

Edited by osallivan

Parachute. You are parachuted in to your last spawn point. 

OK, might totally ruin the immersion of the game, and raise the question of "where did you parachute from", but it would be fun and it would solve the spawning next to people problem.

Personally I'd make it so that if you switched servers you'd get a countdown of an hour at minimum or until reset. I'd then also increase the timer for joining a server you've just left and rejoined to 5 minutes but make the character visible. Only thing they'd need to do then is to make sure the game remembered which you're last server was so you couldn't restart the game and go elsewhere.

At least this way it'd stop people combat logging and stop people from switching servers. Ok so it might also end up killing some legit players whose games crashed or so on, but at the end of the day if it stops the majority of server-hoppers / combat loggers; it'd be worth it.

Edited by StrikeEagle

I'm not opposed to restricting logins at military areas however I think it should also come with a "you can't log out here" message as well. if you are not allowed to logout in mil areas the problem is solved and if your game crashes while in a mil area your re-log spawn should be somewhere outside of that area.

How would they do this though? I don't really trust that system if you have no set logout and login point it's probably just going to reset your character which would be bullshit if it's not your fault it crashed. The "don't get attached to your character" motto shouldn't apply in the full release.

I love the idea of not spawning in or logging out in military zones at least we could have non cowardly fights where people combat log the second it gets serious.

However, what about snipers outside the zone? They could just abuse the fact that nobody can logout and escape them but if anyone finds where they are they can log out, in to another server and mess with some more people without even moving.

Parachute. You are parachuted in to your last spawn point. 

OK, might totally ruin the immersion of the game, and raise the question of "where did you parachute from", but it would be fun and it would solve the spawning next to people problem.

like DaiZy 2018 ......????

Has anyone had this happen to them? You are playing fine and then suddenly you can't turn using the mouse. You can only go backwards,sideways or look around? Happened to me a couple of times.

double click left-alt.

I have a feeling that there will be much sackcloth wearing, wailing and gnashing of teeth over NEAF when this hits stable.  The bandits will be apoplectic.  Good.

They will move to Svetlo and the hills/rocks/rooftops of the new city, heretofore known as Sniper Heaven.

I couldn't kill him because he spawned behind me and instantly shot the second he saw me, you know the big tent in balota, the one with the 3 bunk beds? I ran in there and there was nobody there, i shut the door go to pick up some food of the floor - bang shot in the head. I wasn't followed because i always look behind me when i move around, and it was an SKS so it wasn't a long range Mosin through the window. You shouldn't be able to log in a military grade area.

ur mistake was looting FOOD in a high risk area. Loot the important stuff in Balota and GTFO.

Also idiots who log on and off in millitary bases die sooner or later. He could have just as well spawned in front of you and u kill him.

u should be in and out of those tents in less than 15 seconds unless ur swapping out backpacks. Grab what u came for if it isnt there keep moving.

• Like 2

loving experimental servers atm because there is so few you actually have to scavenge hardcore for gear ... currently im carrying a mosin a amphibia with a clip but cannot find ammo for either only finding shotgun shells ... very fun indeed

This is great and all but my character was spawned out in the middle of the ocean with full health and hydration so... What can I do to fix this?

P.S. restarting the game and logging to separate servers did not help

Sorry if it's been mentioned but does anyone know if the shotguns are fixed yet to fire more than one pellet in experimental?

Sorry if it's been mentioned but does anyone know if the shotguns are fixed yet to fire more than one pellet in experimental?

Through my experience on the newest experimental , shotguns still suck :( two people at the end of a narrow hallway in the piano room fired at me so I unloaded two shots of the shotgun (full length) into the middle of them but the shots both missed cuz it didnt spread like a shotgun should :0 ! And the crossbow is unbearably weak now for some reason ? At one point I was taking people out with 2 shots to the body now it takes like 5 ! Can't wait for the grenades to be fixed either it seems like they don't work but I want to see them in action so bad :)

Ahh man that's unfortunate.  Thank you for the reply.

Allow us to attach grenade launcher to cross bow IMO ! lol & a suppressor too!

kinda like how in BF4 there are sniper shotguns and Magnums with suppressors and Acog scopes ;) 

Edited by trev186

Can't wait for the grenades to be fixed either it seems like they don't work but I want to see them in action so bad :)

Place grenade in hand. Activate grenade via scroll wheel. Press G to throw grenade. Only it does not really throw as much as it sort of falls from your hand.. So you best run or you will die. 

Plenty of videos on Youtube that show it exploding and the fun it brings..