Sign in to follow this  
Ugly (DayZ)

How effective are the notes/paper?

So lately I've been writting down messages on paper and leaving them for other players to find.

Usually someone kayfabe things like "Searching Cherno before heading north" kinda bs.

I know players tend to leave a note on their person for potential looters. 

Anyone find notes in the wild? Do you leave em?

It seems as though the pen and paper are being clumped into the "useless items" category in favor of better loot (remember the tin cans and bottles in the mod?)  As such, I have yet to find any notes left by any players and I have never even written my own.  It's a great idea but I think the implementation could be reworked and we could hopefully see a rise in player participation.

I just made a campfire and wrote a note while waiting for my spaghetti to warm up. Left the note with the fire, but I doubt anybody will find it before a server reset.

Found some once in a while.  I like that they exist, but most people don't use them.

Notes were one of the first items they said would be persistent, which would be cool.

I've made the suggestion before, but I think if the texture/graphic of the note actually changed after it was written on it would go a long way.  I'm generally too lazy to look at each piece of paper I see laying around, unless it's in an odd spot, so if I could tell it had writing at a glance I'd be much more inclined to look.

Now that you can rip pages out of books maybe I'll just start tossing notes every where =P

• Like 4

leave a message in your back pack saying, "ty for looking after my items, i will be back for them soon"

Edited by Sooden

Found some once in a while.  I like that they exist, but most people don't use them.

Notes were one of the first items they said would be persistent, which would be cool.

I've made the suggestion before, but I think if the texture/graphic of the note actually changed after it was written on it would go a long way.  I'm generally too lazy to look at each piece of paper I see laying around, unless it's in an odd spot, so if I could tell it had writing at a glance I'd be much more inclined to look.

Now that you can rip pages out of books maybe I'll just start tossing notes every where =P

I completely agree. In fact, sometimes their damage state causes them to appear written on.

This would also give the developers another potential game mechanic.

There could be survivor "stash spots", and these notes are a confession to them, allowing Player Characters to hunt for a good amount of loot (ie a backpack full of gear, or a pistol with a clip and ammo, or a stash of food).

i.e. found written on a note on the ground "To anyone who can read this, I've fallen ill. I survived for 3 months but all is lost for me. All my wordly possessions can be found at my camp, coordinates xyz"

or "Crashed helicopter. need to investigate. East of Zelenogorsk"

"Trust no one wearing a gas mask"

The best one I've read. 

"ur a faget"

i wish that was mine, but id wrote "ur a fagot"

A mate told me he read a "Stand still, please" note by the side of a well a few days back .

The ones I've found are always blank so far.

Red

Edited by RedGuard
  • Like 2

Found one note in 500 hours.Lack of persistence is the killer atm for them.

• Like 3

A mate told me he read a "Stand still, please" note by the side of a wheel a few days back .

The ones I've found are always blank so far.

Red

:)

Haven't found any, I leave them from time to time, normally references to other games, primarily Resident Evil, or if I make my way down to the coast, I'll leave helpful tips, rest of my squad just leaves troll messages.

I always leave notes that say, "Thanks for reading my note. Now drop all of your gear and walk away slowly or I'll shoot."

Only if the notes could persist throught 3-4 server restarts it would be cool to leave them around.

• Like 1

I used to have fun with the paper when it was first introduced (and you could write on it). I'd find an already looted town, ideally with a civilian block overlooking an open road, place a honeypot item in the middle of the road (say something like a tin of bacon, or if I am being overly generous an unloaded pistol) then place a note next to it. On the note I would write something along the lines of:

Don't move! At this very moment there are 4 people with their guns trained on you. If you try and run we will shoot you. If you raise or swap to your weapon, we will shoot you. The only option you have is to lower any weapon you have and stand still with nothing in your hands. A representative will come out to meet you. You will not be harmed if you do not try to escape or attack, if you do either you will not make more than 10 paces before being cut down.

This was before the two handed "I give up" action had been added to the game, if you are wondering why that wasn't part of the request. Anyway, it was fun watching people stop, look around then spend maybe 10 - 20 seconds working out what they were going to do. Some immediately sprinted away, some complied and disarmed themselves and stood still - both of the actions tended to involve some voice chat. Me? I didn't bother with them, I just liked fucking with their heads. Sadly nobody reads notes any more, even ones placed so obviously next to loot in the middle of nowhere that it's obvious the intention of the note is to pass on information. Nowadays most people walk up to the offered loot, take it, then run off without giving the note a second glance.

I think notes should be persistent, at least until they are read. Would be nice to be able to put them on doors, walls etc. using duct tape. I sometimes leave goody-bags (backpack with food, water, can opener, perhaps some ammo, bandages) in places where newspawns go, with a friendly note included, but don't know if anyone ever found one. 

I try to keep a death note on me with info about medical group and try not to kill on sight

I think they should develop a graffiti system , giving we have spray paint and paper in game, you should be able to combine paper and knife to craft a stencil, or spray graffiti freehand a bit like microsoft paint. this would be truely epic in my eyes we could spray red crosses everywhere or things like that. i know rude symbols and swear words might be considered the reason against doing this but at the end of the day its a mature game and people could have pre-set designs if they can't be trusted

• Like 1

i started to Keep notes with the fnx and a mag i useally carry around in a yellow Container. So if anyone finds dat shit on my corpse they have 2 suprises !!!! *altho i whould prefer the box could be rigged so it explodes in their greedy sweaty Hands...

I tend to leave them on my body on the ATC tower in NEAF advertising my YouTube or Twitch channel :D 

Or in berezino Square with a Friends phone number followed by "FREE SEX" and all sorts of gibberish

Firstly things like notes and pens need to take less slots - it's ridiculous that a piece of paper occupies the same space as a sewing kit or whatever.

2nd unless they become persistant, they're next to useless but I think once they do - people will start leaving more.

3rd - we need the ability to tack them onto trees or other surfaces and i think having a changed graphic is a great idea once they've been written on as well.

You could set up a treasure hunt. Hide some nice gear and then provide clues to the next clue until you get to the gear.

• Like 1

Firstly things like notes and pens need to take less slots - it's ridiculous that a piece of paper occupies the same space as a sewing kit or whatever.

2nd unless they become persistant, they're next to useless but I think once they do - people will start leaving more.

3rd - we need the ability to tack them onto trees or other surfaces and i think having a changed graphic is a great idea once they've been written on as well.

You could set up a treasure hunt. Hide some nice gear and then provide clues to the next clue until you get to the gear.

Yes to all of that and regarding the slots taken, we need to be able to carry a book in one slot, and then rip out more than two pages..hundreds of pages in one slot that way.

I've made the suggestion before, but I think if the texture/graphic of the note actually changed after it was written on it would go a long way.

I've suggested this as well. I'm extremely confident that this would give notes new life. & as you mentioned, players would be much more inclined to read them.

So lately I've been writting down messages on paper and leaving them for other players to find.

Usually someone kayfabe things like "Searching Cherno before heading north" kinda bs.

I know players tend to leave a note on their person for potential looters. 

Anyone find notes in the wild? Do you leave em?

A few weeks ago I was playing on a hardcore server, was outside of the NEAF. Some guy approached me and asked if I left a note. I said no, he then showed me the note. whoever wrote it said they were heading to NEAF, join up with them if you can. The guy said he found the note in Berezino. He was so crushed that I wasn't the guy who wrote the note, but he pressed on to the NEAF, determined to find the author.